New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who thread II: "I should have a hat like that." [SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Attention Craig fans: James Corden plays the comic relief in the new Three Musketeers movie.

Also, apparently the hot blonde chick was one of the vampires in The Vampires of Venice.
    Ahhhh CRAIG

He and the 6-Fingered Man make that movie almost desirable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    ...Blackfox and Raven. They are two fine upstanding ladies aside from their disturbing lack of reloading, Doctor Freeman.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
    Raven gets one free LOL from me. Start collecting LOL's now!
    Also known as Raven, and various derivations thereof.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The new adventure game is out, if anyone was interested. It's free so I don't see why not.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

3. - Top - End - #843

So, just caught up, (Got busy) but when the doctor gave his age at lake Silencio he said 1103. Was he being serious that we missed ~200 years of the Doctor, or was he giving himself some lee-way to 'live' after he got 'killed'.
    Or does this fall into the We-don't-know-yet/Not even the doctor actually knows his age categories?

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tono View Post
    So, just caught up, (Got busy) but when the doctor gave his age at lake Silencio he said 1103. Was he being serious that we missed ~200 years of the Doctor, or was he giving himself some lee-way to 'live' after he got 'killed'.
    Or does this fall into the We-don't-know-yet/Not even the doctor actually knows his age categories?
    Yup, we missed 200 years of his life. It was strongly implied that between dropping Amy/Rory off at the end of God Complex and the beginning of Closing Time he spent a long time, around 200 years, doing a farewell tour, seeing all the things he needed to see before he died.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

5. - Top - End - #845
    Titan in the Playground

Nothing important but littleDoctor Who omage from Greg Dean. Kind of nice I guess.
    Last edited by Kato; 2011-10-31 at 02:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

Rule no.1; The Doctor Lies.
    We may never know for sure.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Rule no.1; The Doctor Lies.
    We may never know for sure.
    I was about to say he has no real reason to lie about his age, but then remembered he's doing that already.
    Also it's not like the doctor hasn't had adventures and such we haven't seen before, end of time part 1 for instance.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2011-10-31 at 05:36 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

8. - Top - End - #848
    Firbolg in the Playground

"'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

9. - Top - End - #849

Well, yes he has adventures we don't see, just by what he mentions on screen we should all know that, 200 years just seemed to be kind of a huge jump for this series. And, he didn't seem to age at all while other things in this series seem to age him. Just checking to see if I missed something that he said that would give a reason for him to lie.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, yes he has adventures we don't see, just by what he mentions on screen we should all know that, 200 years just seemed to be kind of a huge jump for this series. And, he didn't seem to age at all while other things in this series seem to age him. Just checking to see if I missed something that he said that would give a reason for him to lie.
    He grows facial hair. That is the only visual sign of time passing that I can remember. It is also easily explained by shaving. Well there's also the First Doctor dying of old age, but that seems to be a quirk of the first incarnation.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It's also very convenient for him to spread that lie. If the point was to fake his death, he spreads the word that he spent "200 years" running around the Universe.

Now he can keep having adventures after Lake Silencio, and the Silence will think their trapped worked, assuming that his appearances took place during those 200 years (On his timeline).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

12. - Top - End - #852
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    It's also very convenient for him to spread that lie. If the point was to fake his death, he spreads the word that he spent "200 years" running around the Universe.
    Except at that point he still thought he was actually going to die, so I'm inclined to believe it was genuine.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

Well that was fun.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Except at that point he still thought he was actually going to die, so I'm inclined to believe it was genuine.
    Hm... dunno, whar point was that? He knew it was the Tessalecta fairly early... form hi persepective, or that there would maybe be another way out... he's the Doctor after all.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Hm... dunno, whar point was that? He knew it was the Tessalecta fairly early... form hi persepective, or that there would maybe be another way out... he's the Doctor after all.
    I thought he didn't switch with the tesselecta until just before the events of Marriage of River Song? In that episode he's shown in a flashback to ask the tessalecta people for their help while wearing the stetson, thus placing it after the events o Closing Time. So it wasn't until that moment that he knew there was a way out of it.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I just remebered that we may actually see some of what the doctor was doing in the 200 year gap at the start of the series. All that waving from history stuff was ment to take place then. (the 1103/teselecta Doctor mentions it, but 907 doesn't).
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2011-11-01 at 04:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ogre in the Playground

Just when I thought nothing could make me crack up more than the other one...
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, right, he said so in closing time... uhm... yeah, good question... maybe he did have some plan anyway? Okay, I don't know... or maybe he lied for the sake of it? Or he said the truth. Period. Man, I wish it was Christmas...

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

Just watched the Marriage of River Song

YES! I knew it! He found a way! Well done! It made me actually think he was going to die! Yet I KNEW it! Awesome.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #860

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    This brings up the big question I have about next season. What hat is The Doctor going to wear?

At first I thought it would be something like a sombrero, but that's a little too close to the Stetson. My money is currently on a Bowler, but I'm personally hoping for one of those big furry Russian hats.
    Oh, its gotta be a bowler after his appearance on LLS, actually a day after you posted this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_TVW7gw0e8

21. - Top - End - #861
    Orc in the Playground

Default Dr. Si's Old Who Recommendations

Continuing my plan to post what I think to be the highlights of every season of Doctor Who, old and new.

For each series I choose 2 or 3 of what I consider to be the best stories, and a selection of also-rans. "Stories" may comprise any number of actual episodes (somewhere between 1-14, typically 4 or 6). Older Who is nearly always episodic, with NuWho most episodes are self-contained. Feel free to expand on my brief comments, agree, disagree etc. This is, after all, purely subjective.

First Doctor

Second Doctor

Third Doctor

Season Ten (1972-1973)
    Third Doctor/Jo

Hard to believe by the time you get to this point that the series has already been running ten years, hence the inclusion of the Three Doctors special. After the dip of last season, things pick up again for Pertwee's Doctor, now into his fourth year in the role.

Carnival Of Monsters – a piece of whimsy, really, but no worse for that. Leslie Dwyer's cynical showman Vorg is the best turn, but all the guests turn in nice performances. Okay, the monsters (drashigs and plesiosaur) aren’t very convincing, but it is Doctor Who.

Frontier In Space – a good, solid bit of space opera with a pleasingly sprawling storyline and convincing aliens. As with most Pertwee six-parters it feels a bit padded by endless escapes, captures and Venusian karate, but there are some great moments such as the prison colony on the Moon and some nice interaction between the Doctor and Jo.

Honourable Mentions
    The Three Doctors – good to see the Doctors interact, and some interesting Time Lord backstory, but it fails to fulfil its potential, coming across as a bit insubstantial (like Omega himself). Unusually for a Pertwee story, you wish this was a six-parter.

The Green Death – often cited as a fan favourite, and probably freaky if you don’t like maggots but for me there was never much sense of threat. Nice, for a change, though, to get a convincing build-up to a companion leaving.
    Last edited by Dr. Simon; 2012-10-10 at 07:56 AM.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ogre in the Playground

AAARRGH!

Well. I have now seen the Wedding of River Song (cursed mutter mutter River Song), and I have to say that this is the first of the finales that I just didn't like. Honestly, the high point for me was live chess. I'm getting sick of the universe needing saving and time blowing up and the doctor being the centrepoint and yes he's dead and no he's not and AAAAARGGH!

I'm really, really glad that, going by the end of the episode, we'll be seeing a lower-profile doctor now, just to have less of that stuff. I'm significantly less glad that the Doctor is going to make reality blow up at least one more time, but hopefully we'll have some good, solid episodes between now and then. Maybe even more Craig! Craig is awesome. Shush, too, is awesome. The universe collapsing yet again? Boring and humdrum.

EDIT: Looking back over what Moffat has written, I can't help but feel that he has deteriorated. The Empty Child was great, a serious contender for best of NuWho season 1. The Girl in the Fireplace was likewise brilliant. Blink? Marvellous. Time Crash was adorable. Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead was alright, although it could have been better. The Eleventh Hour was a bit iffy, though good. But this last season... Let's Kill Hitler was, IMHO, far from spectacular, and my thoughts on the latest are above. A Good Man Goes to War I liked except for mutter mutter River Song (who admittedly probably colours my perception a bit), and The Impossible Astronaut and Day of the Moon were neat, but that's a far higher miss ratio than ever before. So... yeah. I'm less convinced about Moffat than ever.

On an unrelated note, I want more of psychopath Melody. Psychopath Melody was awesome.
    Last edited by Fortuna; 2011-11-13 at 09:13 PM.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dr. Si's Old Who Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Simon View Post

The Green Death – often cited as a fan favourite, and probably freaky if you don’t like maggots but for me there was never much sense of threat. Nice, for a change, though, to get a convincing build-up to a companion leaving.
    The source of more than one childhood nightmare for me
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    AAARRGH!

Well. I have now seen the Wedding of River Song (cursed mutter mutter River Song), and I have to say that this is the first of the finales that I just didn't like. Honestly, the high point for me was live chess. I'm getting sick of the universe needing saving and time blowing up and the doctor being the centrepoint and yes he's dead and no he's not and AAAAARGGH!

I'm really, really glad that, going by the end of the episode, we'll be seeing a lower-profile doctor now, just to have less of that stuff. I'm significantly less glad that the Doctor is going to make reality blow up at least one more time, but hopefully we'll have some good, solid episodes between now and then. Maybe even more Craig! Craig is awesome. Shush, too, is awesome. The universe collapsing yet again? Boring and humdrum.

EDIT: Looking back over what Moffat has written, I can't help but feel that he has deteriorated. The Empty Child was great, a serious contender for best of NuWho season 1. The Girl in the Fireplace was likewise brilliant. Blink? Marvellous. Time Crash was adorable. Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead was alright, although it could have been better. The Eleventh Hour was a bit iffy, though good. But this last season... Let's Kill Hitler was, IMHO, far from spectacular, and my thoughts on the latest are above. A Good Man Goes to War I liked except for mutter mutter River Song (who admittedly probably colours my perception a bit), and The Impossible Astronaut and Day of the Moon were neat, but that's a far higher miss ratio than ever before. So... yeah. I'm less convinced about Moffat than ever.

On an unrelated note, I want more of psychopath Melody. Psychopath Melody was awesome.
    The thing I've noticed about Moffat (and this is a thread I've seen beyond his writing for Doctor Who, a lot in Jekyll and a little in Sherlock) is that he is really bad at resolution. He excels at building up a intricate plot that is revealed bit by bit to the audience and everything leading up to the climax leaves you wanting more, to know what is going on and why. However, when the reveal happens it tends to fall flat. This is very apparent in season 6 because in a sense the whole season is the reveal and climax of the River arch and it really emphasizes how bad Moffat is at this kind of thing. Even in his earlier two-parters this can be seen, it was the beginning and middle of Empty Child/Doctor Dances that was so great, the ending not so much (it wasn't bad per say, just not as good as the rest).

Despite all of this I think he is my second favorite TV scriptwriter (coming in a bit behind Sorkin and a little before Whedon), mostly because of his impeccable use of foreshadowing and how he treats his audience like intelligent adults. You don't have the trend of modern TV that avoids complexity because it is too confusing, Moffat embraces complexity and revels in laying a baffling network of red herrings, foreshadowing and false trails for the viewership to chew on.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like they're planning a Dr. Who film.

Just thought people should know.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not sure wether to be horrified or elated
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Looks like they're planning a Dr. Who film.

Just thought people should know.
    Well let's see directed by the guy who did those Potter movies (remarkably average direction all told)
    Without the official actors in the show
    Without writers from the show

I'm leaning more toward horrified.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ettin in the Playground

yeah...I've seen the american film...with eric roberts

I'm scared now.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ogre in the Playground

According to the Doctor Who magazine, the whole thing is just a rumor. Nothing to freak out about.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ogre in the Playground

This is the most worrying line of the whole thing:
    'It needs quite a radical transformation to take it into the bigger arena.'

No, Doctor Who does not need a radical transformation. Not by any stretch of the imagination.