New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who thread II: "I should have a hat like that." [SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    . . .
    I did not see the Dorktor being stripped by fangirls, fanboys and their parents.
    That was nummy.
    Wish I'd known about that auction beforehand, I'd have bid. Wouldn't have won, but I'd have bid.
    Knew you'd like it.

I took a look at the auction just after I watched it the first time. The bidding was already at more money than I have in my bank account.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ogre in the Playground

4. Is Narnia flat out one of my favourite book series of all time? Yes. Yes it is. OhmyLawdyesitis.
    Where's the Obvious Stand-in For Religious Figure of Choice-Lion?
    Well as for that one need only look at the name of the episode. The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe. It's the logical progression from Tinkerbell!Jesus Doctor.

Relatedly:
    Doctor!Nine was in London in what? November 1940 (give or take).
    One year later he's Doctor!Eleven with Blitz evacuees at Christmas with the Pevensies at the Kirke house!!
    Aaaaand I'm pretty sure that at some point I mentioned Doctor!Ten being around at roughly the same point in time and place. It's seriously a miracle the Doctors haven't bumped into each other at the same time and place yet.
    Must happen.
    It'll be the new 'The Two/Three Doctors'.
    Make it so[/Picard voice]

3. - Top - End - #963
    Banned

Daemon

Ah Curly, my old archnemesis! Hold on that's not how we interacted on this thread! Close enough.

Unicorn and Wasp will be up eh? Remember Curly, my contest still stands. 16 weeks ago I said I'd give you a cookie for every Agatha Cristie title you found in the ep. I hope you aint forgotten.

Did you ever watch WoRS? Did you like it? We all know what I thought.

I miss your old form.

4. - Top - End - #964

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Ah Curly, my old archnemesis! Hold on that's not how we interacted on this thread! Close enough.
    There is a dire lack of moustache twirling villainy in our nemsisness.
    This must be rectified.

Unicorn and Wasp will be up eh? Remember Curly, my contest still stands. 16 weeks ago I said I'd give you a cookie for every Agatha Christie title you found in the ep. I hope you ain't forgotten.
    I do remember.
    Oh I do indeed. There could even be a running gag.

Did you ever watch WoRS? Did you like it? We all know what I thought.

I miss your old form.
    Nope. Still not seen it.

What old form?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

5. - Top - End - #965
    Banned

Daemon

The Pony avatar.

Also, do watch WORS before christmas special, they may reference back to it (the doctor has to pretend that he's dead now.)

6. - Top - End - #966

The Pony avatar.
    Strictly speaking, that's the newest of her forms.

Also, that reminds me: Kurly, you still need to change the avatar credit in your signature.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ogre in the Playground

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ogre in the Playground

That's really cool, love when this kind of thing happens. Though I can't understand how 100 episodes of anything can be lost/destroyed. Things just shouldn't disappear like that...
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

9. - Top - End - #969
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    That's really cool, love when this kind of thing happens. Though I can't understand how 100 episodes of anything can be lost/destroyed. Things just shouldn't disappear like that...
    As it says, they didn't disappear. A lot were intentionally wiped.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    As it says, they didn't disappear. A lot were intentionally wiped.
    Yes, I am aware of the methods that the episodes were destroyed/wiped/lost, just makes me twitch inside that it happened. Probably spent too much time doing research where you aren't even allowed to use pencil to prevent people from erasing anything.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Back before video games, there were no completionists....
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Troll in the Playground

HOODY HOO!

Just when it looked like there was no hope!

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Back before video games, there were no completionists....
    Collectors would like a word.
    Last edited by turkishproverb; 2011-12-12 at 08:29 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

13. - Top - End - #973
    Orc in the Playground

Heh. Someone should construct a 'time'line of when the Doctor appears and where.
    'Twould be enlightening.
    Um..., or....
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Doctor Who Christmas Trailer 2: Electric Boogaloo

Spoiler
    Show
    Tardis is a present? Also the exact same picture of Bill Bailey, Future Space Marine Farmer.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2011-12-13 at 06:17 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

An ambassador from ponythread comes in peace, love and tolerance.

I want to make a fanfiction about Doctor Whooves (or more specifically, his two assistants Colgate and Derpy). Unfortunately, I do not and never have seen Doctor Who. Could someone give me some basic hints as to his personality (well, one of the Doctors, anyway) and tools of the trade?
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

16. - Top - End - #976

Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post

I want to make a fanfiction about Doctor Whooves (or more specifically, his two assistants Colgate and Derpy). Unfortunately, I do not and never have seen Doctor Who. Could someone give me some basic hints as to his personality (well, one of the Doctors, anyway) and tools of the trade?
    Seriously?

I mean, yeah, we could try to be briefly sum up his personality, but it really wouldn't get it across in full. It'd feel somewhat disrespectful to simplify him so. Just watch the show (Specifically, you'd want series 2-4, since Doctor Whooves is Ten).

Sorry if I'm coming off as hostile, but, well, Doctor Whooves isn't really a character in MLP:FiM. The fans decided he was a pony Doctor. Meaning that as far as his character is concerned, Doctor Who is the source material. You would seriously write a fanfic without knowing anything of the source material besides a few snippets other people had told you? It makes no sense. Write what you know.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

17. - Top - End - #977
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Seriously?

I mean, yeah, we could try to be briefly sum up his personality, but it really wouldn't get it across in full. It'd feel somewhat disrespectful to simplify him so. Just watch the show (Specifically, you'd want series 2-4, since Doctor Whooves is Ten).

Sorry if I'm coming off as hostile, but, well, Doctor Whooves isn't really a character in MLP:FiM. The fans decided he was a pony Doctor. Meaning that as far as his character is concerned, Doctor Who is the source material. You would seriously write a fanfic without knowing anything of the source material besides a few snippets other people had told you? It makes no sense. Write what you know.
    Well, you did give me useful information in that I know which seasons to watch to figure it out, so I'll leave with a thank you.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    (Specifically, you'd want series 2-4, since Doctor Whooves is Ten).
    Yeah, you'd want the 10th Doctor, since he's the one Whooves resembles.

As for his personality....well, he's usually quite manic and cheerful, tends to talk a lot and engage in technobabble, has a rather cheeky sense of humor. He's a genius and not at all shy about admitting it. When thrust into a dangerous situation he immediately fast talks his way into being in charge, even as everyone stands around wondering who this weirdo is.

Ten has a dark streak a mile wide, though. He has been through a lot of trauma, and can turn cold and vengeful pretty quickly. When an enemy has crossed the line, no matter what horrible thing they have done, he will give them one chance to give up and find a peaceful solution. When they refuse (and they always do), all bets are off and they are screwed. Dude's not a guy you want to cross. And he'll feel horrible about it afterward. Guy can switch from hilariously goofy to downright scary to "really needs a hug" in the course of a single scene.

EDIT:
    Oh, and I don't know if you've read the rest of this thread, but a page back I pointed out that, as of "Sweet and Elite", apparently other Doctors have received shout outs in MLP.
    Last edited by Starscream; 2011-12-14 at 12:59 AM.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

19. - Top - End - #979
    Titan in the Playground

Well, can't say I particularly approve of Pony based crossover fanfiction, but I'm not exactly in a position to judge.

First, watch the latest 2 seasons of Doctor Who, just as they're so good.

But if you want something faster first, then that can be covered.

Okay, facts about the Doctor.

Rule 2: The Doctor is smart. Smarter than anyone else in the room, no matter what room, and sometimes he doesn't even need a room to be smart in. And he knows it. Often rubs it in. Doesn't mean he's always right. Doesn't prevent him from going "okay, I was wrong." sometimes, but he's generally doing something clever.

Rule 3: The Doctor is old. Very, very old. He may still be energetic, but he's seen it all. Twice.

Rule 4: Also, alien. Very, very alien. He comes at everything from a different angle, and is still amazed by people being people, for good and ill.

Rule 5: Basically, he's trying to be a cheery fellow on the side of the angels, but the latest go rounds got some deep seated anger issues, and when he's provoked enough, he's going to do worse than kill you.

Rule 6: He gives you a chance. No matter what, he gives you a chance.

And that's it.

All the rules.

Rule 1: The Doctor lies.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2011-12-14 at 12:58 AM.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ettin in the Playground

You forgot Rule 1, the doctor lies. What? I couldn't resist.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
    You forgot Rule 1, the doctor lies. What? I couldn't resist.
    Rule 1 is "Don't wander off." OK, we could play this game all day... and that would totally be in line with rule 408.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Titan in the Playground

Peace, love and tolerance? In our Who? What is this, RTD running the show again?

Nah, if you weren't scared away entirely... watch the show. I'm sure you'll like it. Though I guess you might as well watch the 5th and 6th season with 11. But that's up to personal preference... (Though I guess Whooves resembles 10 much more)
    But I swear if I ever see a blue phone box in ponyville...

23. - Top - End - #983
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    Is surprisingly good a particularly British phrase?
    Probably not, I expect it was exaggeration for comic effect.

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Oh god, the Myrka from 'Warriors of the Deep'. Yes that was the worst, worse than extra's wrapping tentacles around themselves in 'The Power of Kroll', worse than the giant inflatable snake in 'Snake dance' and worse even than the toy tank in 'Robot'.
    The special effect so bad it killed Dr Who ( BBC Controller Michael Grade specifically cited the Myrka as an example of why he cancelled Dr Who)

Though I'm ready to be corrected, anybody got idea's for even worse Dr Who special effects ?
    Think you've nailed the best(?) ones. The thing that tended to let them down for me was more the unconvincing fight choreography and guards who are completely incapable of even the most cursory search.

Although the pantomime Myrka (thanks!) was truly embarassing, I think Michael Grade is a bit disingenuous in that by starving the program of funds he prevented them from producing decent special effects. Mind you, there are ways and means of disguising poor costumes, and shooting them in full figure, in bright light, is not it!
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Tardis Wiki's profile should give you pointers on his personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    Rule 1 is "Don't wander off." OK, we could play this game all day... and that would totally be in line with rule 408.
    I think that rule has been forgotten because the Doctor always fails at enforcing it. Alternatively, the Doctor lied about Rule 1 being "don't wander off".

Edit: There are 3 preview clips on main site. I haven't watched them yet.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2011-12-14 at 01:20 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

25. - Top - End - #985

I think this hasn't been linked yet (don't read if you don't want to know anything about the next series)

Spoiler
    Show
    Amy and Rory's last series

personally, I think it's quite good, there's not really much more that they'll bring to the table, especially not after saving all of creation twice, it'll be interesting to see how the new companion(s) work out

It also says "during" the next series, rather than at the end, which could be interesting.
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2011-12-15 at 06:33 PM.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ogre in the Playground

So apparently, we're going to get all the missing Doctor Who episodes back now. From the original broadcasts, no less.
    How? Space. That's how.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

27. - Top - End - #987
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    I think this hasn't been linked yet (don't read if you don't want to know anything about the next series)

Spoiler
    Show
    Amy and Rory's last series

personally, I think it's quite good, there's not really much more that they'll bring to the table, especially not after saving all of creation twice, it'll be interesting to see how the new companion(s) work out

It also says "during" the next series, rather than at the end, which could be interesting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am torn. On the one hand I agree with you there story is largely told. They had a big impact and a great story arc and development.

On the other, Rory and Amy are my favorite companions. They are one of the 3 romances that I have ever actually rooted for. I don't want to see them go.

All I can say is the next companion(s) better be badasses.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    So apparently, we're going to get all the missing Doctor Who episodes back now. From the original broadcasts, no less.
    How? Space. That's how.
    No such luck.

Pretty sure that's a hoax. Unfortunately.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    No such luck.

Pretty sure that's a hoax. Unfortunately.
    Not to mention the fact that the timestamp is April '09. So yeah...

30. - Top - End - #990
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh yeah... specifically april 1...
    aww. That makes me sad.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance