New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who thread II: "I should have a hat like that." [SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Did it work?
    I read the first line in his voice, then the rest in my normal mental voice. Just because Tennants "Hello" is so memorable.
    Then I tried it again in all-Tennant. I'm not sure how well I succeeded.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Did it work?
    Yes. And it was an automatic reaction.

(I consider it a sign of good writing if I can automatically here the character's voices in my head without trying...)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Did it work?
    Yes, it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Not that it matters a lot but I think quite a few of your quotes reference Sunken, not Curly...
    ...You have failed me for the last time, copy and paste -I mean, I have no idea what you're talking about and definitely didn't change anything when I went back and edited my previous post just now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hm... I guess it was okay. Better than season three, I think. We'll see what Curly thinks.
    Dude, SPOILERS! Do you want to just completely give away what I was talking about?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Though I suppose it'll be kind of obvious when I don't express a dislike to any episode prior to that one...

Anyway, while perhaps nothing in there is quite as bad as Tinkerbell Jesus Doctor, the bad goes on for longer.

Still... I don't know, maybe it's really like 'insert generic media about US highschool' tells us but in my experience you don't get bullied because you have an interest in pen&paper or whatsoever. Maybe I'm wrong, though.
    Not talking exclusively about high school. In the course of growing up you will go to many schools, chances are at some point you'll come across someone willing to bully you for being a nerd.

Sounds like an awesome halloween costume but how will people see my brainy specs under the gas mask?
    You put the brainy specs on over the gas mask, obviously.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Though I suppose it'll be kind of obvious when I don't express a dislike to any episode prior to that one...

Anyway, while perhaps nothing in there is quite as bad as Tinkerbell Jesus Doctor, the bad goes on for longer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd just like to add here that "not quite as bad as Tinkerbell Jesus Doctor" isn't an especially noteworthy distinction. The S3 finale set the bar VERY VERY LOW - and yet, the S4 finale still didn't clear it by as much as one might hope.

Not talking exclusively about high school. In the course of growing up you will go to many schools, chances are at some point you'll come across someone willing to bully you for being a nerd.
    There's even a chance that some of those people will be teachers, at which point you can probably look forward to the entire class piling on for an officially-sanctioned round of "make fun of the weird kid." But hey, I'm not bitter or anything. Not me, no sirree.

@V: Too right.
    Last edited by Philistine; 2011-08-31 at 11:18 AM.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dude, SPOILERS! Do you want to just completely give away what I was talking about?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    And, of course, it contains an altogether excessive amount of Rose, e.g., any amount at all.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    I think a Toclafane came to kill her and her family as part of the 10%, but she shouted at it so badly that (due to its childlike personality) it ran away crying.

Thus the Master only successfully killed 9.99999995% of the population.
    This. This steals fragments of the thread of which Thufir and Curly mad off with a long time ago. You've won 9.99999995% of a thread, Starscream. And my cookie. Although of course all three theories presented work well together. There may be future competitions similar to this in the future.

@Thufir:

re Adam Mitchell: That's what I meant, I want Adam to be a villain of the week. In a two parter. Or maybe even Season big bad. It would be like Syndrome from the Incredibles.

re the poll: Oh, sorry to offend I just thought you'd all be interested in a poll. To be honest, Rose was a YMMV companion, although she was the first companion to do a lot of things. First companion in the new series. First human companion to have romantic for the Doctor be returned (unless Peri was, not sure). First companion to bring her family into it as well. And the first time Billy Piper was taken seriously as an actress. Hereis the link.. Minor Curly warning: one not-so secret 2009 companion is on this list.

re: spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your comments regarding the quality of the S4 finale have no real distinctions from the finales of any other Doctor Who finale. Even End of Time and Big Bang. I hope that because WORS is a one parter it will be more satisfying.

@KoboldBard:
    I heard it in Matt Smith's voice. They both sound alike. Sometimes I forget which ones which (not really but sometimes)

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Did it work?
    It did, but I'm not terribly surprised. My tendency to associate language with the speaker has the odd effect that on these forums I imagine everyone's avatar speaking.

8. - Top - End - #98

Argh. Quotestorm.

Screw it, here I go, Curly's [Let's Kill Hitler] review read...
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's the one thing Mel had going for her.
    True, I'm thinking of returning to the episode sometimes this week to give my rewatch opinions and the like. Second impressions and thoughts I suppose.

Makes sense in hindsight, doesn't it?
    Yup.

Yeah, that was cute. Not to say adorable. Though... well.. it has earlier been established Rory's not that hot (on the outside) He's cute but Amy knew hotter guys. But adorable anyway.
    Rory looks average, but he took the slow path for two thousand years waiting for Amy. He's devoted to Amy. And that's better. I would have Rory.

That was a nice thing. Also with the effect. But I got it a bit earlier than the obvious reveal. I'm proud of myself.
    What the tiny people inside? I was running more on the Terminator type of thing than mini people.

Why was I about to write [/spoilers]? Yeah, that was anice eychange and an amazing introduction for River... Melody.. whatever.
    You've been on the Playground too long.
    It was a lovely exchange, and very fun for the audience getting a kick out of recognising River's catchphrases and callbacks.

If it was possible you'd have just gained several levels of admiration in my eyes for that reference but... well, you're pretty high up as admiration goes already.

I love the Bill and Ted films. And let me tell you, trying to remember the name of the right film when you're typing as fast as you can without too many typos is hard.
    But that's exactly what my mind flashed to when I saw that 'I know you know that I know, so I went bck in time to [X]' and so on.

Two Amys... never can go wrong with that.
    Amy is hot. Two Amys are lovely. And I heard that there's another episode where there're two Amys. Do want.

To the typewriters! We need fanfics of their wedding night!
    "Bunkbeds." Rory turned his head to look at Amy, "He gave us bunkbeds."
    "Well, he's very innocent."
    "How are we going to fit?"
    She shrugged and started kicking her shoes off, "I can't think, this outfit's killing me." He looked around, his brow puckered slightly, Amy smiled.
    "Rory, can you help me with the zip?"
    "In a minute, I'm busy." Amy looked over to Rory, hands still contorted halfway up her back holding onto the zip.
    "It's your wedding night. Your wife wants help undressing so she can give you a sexy show. And you're busy?!"
    "I'm making our bed. The bed's important." While she'd been busy Rory had stripped the beds of their sheets, and was now busy hauling the upper bed's mattress to the floor. "It's a big room, loads of floor space."
    "Times you do this makes me realise why I love you so much all over again."

Dunno... it's not a big complaint but I'd have liked more Hitler. (Wow, that sounds SO wrong when said by a German. You know what I mean, I hope.
    Not really. More Hitler would have been fun.

Again. Slight complaint. It happened a bit fast considering she was brainwashed for the sole extent to kill the Doctor yet she got convinced a bit easily. But if we take into account Rory and Amy telling her about the Doctor earlier I guess it's not that bad. And the portrayal though fast was well done, out of any question.
    I figure maybe some shock, some post-regeneration trauma adjusting her brain chemistry, and she flew the TARDIS. The TARDIS taught her to fly it, maybe it showed her some stuff about the Doctor too?

Blah blah stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think I've mentioned before that's one of the things which really annoyed me during the whole RTD era. They were rubbish at keeping secrets.[/quote]

They should leak some lies to keep people unbalanced.

I think some blame should also be apportioned to RTD. Show-runners should think of these things.
    And the script editor's. However, she was still responsible for much of the writing, the characterisation and the more intricate parts of the plot.

Not that I don't agree with you, but you're not a teenager yourself any more.
    That's what everything thinks.

Wait. General Staal was Mike from The Young Ones?
    That's just a hilarious mental image.
    Why else would I mention it? Had to cut out my actual reaction to it though.

Also, you might be interested to know, the actor playing him is the same guy who then played Strax in A Good Man Goes to War.
    They're all called Monty. And they're all played by the same guy.

Um, yes? We knew this already.
    But I didn't know he'd lead the battle, only that he was in it. Leading a battle and participating in one are two different things.

I don't see any similarity between Mulan and Clone Martha. I kind of feel like you put that in just because you like to link to videos of Mulan wherever possible.
    I can see the Pocahontas comparison though, at least kinda maybe. I haven't actually seen that film.
    Because Mulan came out when I was about seven or eight. It was a comparison thing. Plus it compares looks (Pocahontas) with actually doing things (Mulan).

"Aaawww" is not a reaction I would've expected to that...
    They're so happy. It's cute.

Well, naturally, because for some reason UNIT have to be partially antagonistic, and they couldn't do that to a much-loved character like the Brigadier. Also he's retired.
    UNIT didn't need to be antagonistic. And I wanted to meet the Brigadier. I will one day. I know he popped up during Nu Who or one of the spin-offs. I will find him. I will watch him

Uhh, he's not playing all of them. As I said above, Skorr is a different guy.
    Still cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    I think 10 just has a rather hipocritical attitude to violence (generally "I'm the only one allowed to do it", and often willing to use an excessive amount when pushed to far*) - something that the writers are quite willing to draw attention to. I think the second episode of The Sontaran Strategem shows that thw Doctor's dislike of guns and the military are not shared by the writers themselves.

* E.g. the ending of The Runaway Bride.
    Definitely. I mentioned this again in 'The Poison Sky' where I basically stand I can't stand hypocrites, even as I acknowledge my own hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Well, during the fifth Doctor era, Turlough was hired by The Black Guardian (one of those almost-the-devil fellows that hate the Doctor so much) to kill the Doctor and he was let on board with no fuss.

Things gradually worked out in the end.
    Note to self, get Turlough/Five stories.

[QUOTE=Kato;11750353]
    Curly review, both episodes [Sontaran two-parter], as far as I can recall important plot points)
    Spoiler
    Show

Where to start... not to argue much about it but I don't really mind Martha bunny facing that much. Ms Agyeman is dead sexy no matter how she looks and... well, her acting dumb is so much worse than a dumb face once in a while. But yeah, she got reasonably better since season three.
    Partly to do with how I was raised. 'If you don't have something to say, keep your mouth shut', 'keep your mouth shut when chewing, you're not a cow' and so on.
    It just makes her look really thick. She's basically pulling a 'duurrrrh' face.

Brat. Well... yeah, he was despicable. Absolutely. I kind of missed what caused his Heel Face Turn. (i.e. I can't recall from watching back in the day and I kind of either missed it when reading and/or can't find it skimming the text... whatever) Well... we don't go warning you in general, do we? Would you want us to? I'm sure we could.
    His heel fact turn, as far as I can tell wasn't really shown. He realised he'd been tricked, broke down crying, the Doctor set the sky on fire (and it's still one of the best effects all season, and I remember Pompeii), went off to sacrifice himself, the Doctor said "Do something smart with your life", so he gave his life to save the Doctor's.
    If I was mean I'd say he did it to spite the people who'd outwitted him (back up by his giong "Sontar-HA!" as he pushed the button. Being generous I'd say he realised that the Doctor could do more good in his lifetime than he[Luke] ever could, so he gave his life.
    As for warnings? No probably not. Blind is blind except when I'm not.

The thing with him is... he's not that new. Yeah, he's a cold bastard. But the thing is, he really only is... what's the word... he lacks empathy. He might even think he does humanity a favor. I guess he got bullied as a child, probably (and I guess he deserved it if he was like that) but he's not out to take revenge, than he'd not try to make his own little perfect race. He's a **** but he is just too dumb to see he's doing something bad. At least that what I thought about him.
    (Also, why do you think we all were bullied? Because we watch Doctor Who we are all nerds and victims? (Well, I got bullied but... I thought I'd say we don't necessarily all were. I hope))
    He took it rather to extremes though. It was quite shocking, especially as recently all the big bads have been aliens or grown adults knowing full well what they do and why.
    Most people have been bullied at some point in their life. If they haven't yet they will be seen. Statisically, people who engage in the 'geekier' side of things are more likely to be bullied, and being on an internet forum originally founded to discuss a stick figure webcomic parodying and satirising D&D is pretty geeky.
    But as a rough rule of thumb, everybody gets bullied.

Sontarans are great. They show up too rarely. We need a Sontaran companion!
    Or just an alien Companion.

Bonus points for referencing DN. Never thought about it but I guess Brat had a lot of Light, yeah. Gladly there are no Death Notes in Who (yet).
    Supergenius who gets his hands on non-human tech and uses it for his own purposes to create a purer and better human race? Pretty similar. They even go through roughly similar breakdowns at the end.
    I really want to Death Note type object in our Who now. Think of the fun!

'Are you my mummy?' was a nice moment, but Empty Child totally made gasmasks THE accessory for Who fans.
    Amongst other things.

Also, was Disney week or something? Mentioning your childhood girl crushes on Mulan and Pocahontas (mostly acceptable, Mulan was great and Pocahontas at least kind of hot and also I feel old again... ) and an Aladdin clip?
    Every day is Disney day as far as I'm concerned. Call me a sad sack, but I think Disney is a brilliant company and their animated works deserve me attention.
    I've written essays on five minute segments of their Animated Canon. I am a Disney fangirl. Can't help but notice similarities or mention things that remind me of them.
    Plus they're a common ground. If I started linking Noggin the Nog, Bagpuss, The Magic Roundabout or the Clangers people would be confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    @ Favourite companion. People like Rose? Why? What part of her personality is even interesting or likeable? This really does confuse me, because I always thought she was the weakest part of the show and was right with Curly in disliking all the references to her. Though personally my favourite companions look nothing like the list given: 1) Rory, 2) Donna, 3) Wilf, 4) Amy, 5) Sarah Jane (sorry Sarah, I've only seen a handful of old Who but hey you still beat out Rose, Martha, and Can't-Get-Over-Rose-Boy-Even-Though-Rose-Treats-Him-Like-a-Turd)
    What I've noticed while reading back through the past two pages is that very few people seem to like Rose, yet she's still popular.
    Maybe it's just a niche thing.

Blah blah blah stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, that's brilliant.
    I like being able to write utterly bizarre sentences that are one hundred percent accurate.

And not ginger.
    But yes, I agree with what you say there.
    Cool. That's how I can write when I've had time to articulate things.

Shakespearean Sontarans, that's an amusing mental image. "Do you bite your thumb at me sir?"
    The world would be marvellous.

Eh, I'm pretty sure the Doctor speaks latin. He speaks everything.
    And I can speak French, Old English and a few other things. Doesn't mean I can come up with a suspiciously apropose phrase that also foreshadows things to come.

If we warned you we wouldn't get the undiluted reactions!
    Also we don't necessarily think of these things. I'm not sure if I've rewatched these episodes since they were broadcast? If so, once at most.
    And when I recall, them, the focus of my recollection is more on the Doctor, Martha and the Sontarans.
    I's cool. I like my undiluted thoughts too. Just wasn't expecting a CrAzY psychopath so young.

Wait, what? How is she the runner-up best actor and also the worst actor. Sense - this does not make it.
    Overall she's the worst, but for that scene she's a runner-up. Just considering that scene.

That's a highly debatable and subjective statement.
    So are all of mine.
    If I can give mine, so can he. I just have the opportunity in my write ups to explain why I think what I do.

And the Rose-haters will continue to disagree with all the people who voted for her in that poll. I don't see if you have a point here beyond "Ha ha, you're not the majority."
    Maybe it was a point of interest and discussion brought up by my re-mentioning how much Rose is irritating me?

Hey, if you want to choose the nicknames you should write your own reviews.
    And he does.
    They're pretty interesting, and I want to get around to responding to some of those points when/if/probably when I do a revisit of 'Let's Kill Hitler'. Calm down.

Even K-9?
    I'm not a great fan of K-9. I certainly wouldn't put him in my top five companions.
    Four minutes of K9 can't give me an opinion either way. And if I don't have an opinion I go with the general flow.

BRB LMAO.
    How can you think my honestly true statement is so funny?! Every bit of it is factually accurate to the highest degree!
    Yeah. Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    I think a Toclafane came to kill her and her family as part of the 10%, but she shouted at it so badly that (due to its childlike personality) it ran away crying.

Thus the Master only successfully killed 9.99999995% of the population.
    This is now canon. End of story.

Spoiler
    Show
    Did it work?
    Kind of. The first line was definitely Tennant. The rest was an odd mix of Eleven (mostly him) and Four.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Simon View Post
    After 18 months or more of hard work, I have finally watched the entire back catalogue of Doctor Who. Blimey!

Now bereft of my fix, my plan is to post what I think to be the highlights of each season, to provoke discussion, dissension or bemusement. I'm not going to spoiler them as I'll try to be circumspect about details, and it seems pointless spoilering a show thats over 40 years old. Classic Who has Seasons (1-26), NuWho has Series (1-6 so far). I'll throw out a new season every now and again.

For each series I'll try to choose 2, maybe 3 of what I consider to be the best stories, which may comprise any number of actual episodes (somewhere between 1-14, typically 4 or 6). Older Who is nearly always episodic, with NuWho most episodes are self-contained. Feel free to expand on my brief comments, agree, disagree etc. This is, after all, purely subjective.

Previous Posts:
    Season One

And now...

Season Two (1964-65)
    First Doctor/Susan/Ian/Barbara/Vicki/Steven

The Dalek Invasion of Earth – yes, I know, another Dalek story, but this one has some great atmosphere, particularly helped by some location shots in deserted London streets. And Barbara gets that moment with the truck.

The Web Planet – so the costumes are a bit like a school play, but I admire this one for its attempt to portray a really alien planet, and although the costumes are pretty poor, the actors manage a good job of seeming quite alien in speech and movement, which helps - there is a surprisingly good moment when the menoptera fly in to attack the zarbi. I like the interplay between The Doctor/William Hartnell and Vicki/Maureen O’ Brien. Both actors and characters seem to go well together, each egging the other on into mischief.

Honourable Mentions
    The Crusade – very stylishly done, almost Shakespearian in feel, and again some nice moments with The Doctor and Vicki. Shame, again, this one is incomplete.

Planet of Giants – looks surprisingly good, but the plot doesn’t really go anywhere.
    *notes down more recommendations*
    Dude.
    'The Crusades'? I got to do that if only because I did my A Level Medieval History coursework on the Crusades, and that's got to be fine.
    To the internet!

That everything? That everything?
    Cool.
    *collapses*

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    This. This steals fragments of the thread which Thufir and Curly made off with a long time ago.
    We've made off with the thread?

re Adam Mitchell: That's what I meant, I want Adam to be a villain of the week. In a two parter. Or maybe even Season big bad. It would be like Syndrome from the Incredibles.
    Would've worked better if it happened during Nine's tenure. Or Ten's. At this point I think he's too far removed.
    To the fanfiction-mobile?

First companion in the new series. First human companion to have romantic for the Doctor be returned (unless Peri was, not sure).
    Wait, what?
    Granted, my experience of Classic Who beyond about halfway through Troughton is limited to a few clips and the wikiquote pages, but I got the impression he found Peri annoying.
    Well, I suppose he couldn't have continued to find her annoying otherwise he'd have taken her back home, but it makes romance seem less likely.
    Also I find it hard to imagine Six having romantic feelings for anything from what I know of him.

re: spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your comments regarding the quality of the S4 finale have no real distinctions from the finales of any other Doctor Who finale. Even End of Time and Big Bang. I hope that because WORS is a one parter it will be more satisfying.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I disagree about Big Bang. That one works for me, but to go into the reasons in detail would take a while and really I should just write a blog post about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Rory looks average, but he took the slow path for two thousand years waiting for Amy. He's devoted to Amy. And that's better. I would have Rory.
    He also punched Hitler and then put him in a cupboard.
    At this point I think most people would have Rory.

Amy is hot. Two Amys are lovely. And I heard that there's another episode where there're two Amys. Do want.
    Comic Relief mini-episode to be precise. I don't think there are any spoilers in it so I could find you the youtube link if you want.

"Bunkbeds." Rory turned his head to look at Amy, "He gave us bunkbeds."
    "Well, he's very innocent."
    "How are we going to fit?"
    She shrugged and started kicking her shoes off, "I can't think, this outfit's killing me." He looked around, his brow puckered slightly, Amy smiled.
    "Rory, can you help me with the zip?"
    "In a minute, I'm busy." Amy looked over to Rory, hands still contorted halfway up her back holding onto the zip.
    "It's your wedding night. Your wife wants help undressing so she can give you a sexy show. And you're busy?!"
    "I'm making our bed. The bed's important." While she'd been busy Rory had stripped the beds of their sheets, and was now busy hauling the upper bed's mattress to the floor. "It's a big room, loads of floor space."
    "Times you do this makes me realise why I love you so much all over again."
    I love you.

UNIT didn't need to be antagonistic.
    See, that's what I thought, but apparently Helen Raynor had other ideas.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

UNIT didn't need to be antagonistic. And I wanted to meet the Brigadier. I will one day. I know he popped up during Nu Who or one of the spin-offs. I will find him. I will watch him
    He appeared in Sarah Jane Adventures, second series finale.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I don't know why I keep coming back to the bathroom scene in Impossible Astronaut. The Silent told Amy to tell the Doctor what he should not know. But she fails at that time, though later lets it slip out in the Flesh episodes.

The Silent was also there at the Lake.

I wonder if they are tricking the Doctor into going there and creating the circumstance so The Question will be asked and to make the Silence fall.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry for the quotestorm (or my part in it) I hate reading all the typos I make when I get quoted... but after writing these long posts I just don't have the nerve to proofread, sorry if it bothers anyone.
    Anyway...

He also punched Hitler and then put him in a cupboard.
    At this point I think most people would have Rory.
    Oh, I didn't want to insult Rory or anything. He's a great guy. It was just about young Amy saying how hot he is which is not the word I'd use to describe him/Arthur. I'd still totally dig him if I was into guys.

Comic Relief mini-episode to be precise. I don't think there are any spoilers in it so I could find you the youtube link if you want.
    It aired before the sixth season (iirc) I thought Curly would be aware of it. But yeah, the link and even better the related video 'Space'.
    (edit: heck, I screwed up again )
    Last edited by Kato; 2011-09-01 at 04:11 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103

Here you go.
    Part two is the first related video that comes up.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

14. - Top - End - #104

Kind of. The first line was definitely Tennant. The rest was an odd mix of Eleven (mostly him) and Four.
    Hmm. Let's try that.

Not a perfect picture, really, but the best I could find in three minutes of googling.
    Also, it didn't work for me, really.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-09-01 at 02:40 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Just watching the new episode after being away all weekend. Is that Colin Firth I see playing the headmaster Mels is talking to?

16. - Top - End - #106

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    Just watching the new episode after being away all weekend. Is that Colin Firth I see playing the headmaster Mels is talking to?
    I seriously doubt Colin Firth would take a role in Dr. Who that essentially makes him an extra with no lines!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Banned

Daemon

I disagree about Big Bang. That one works for me, but to go into the reasons in detail would take a while and really I should just write a blog post about it.
    Don't see why you had to spoiler that. That would be fun to read. I'd tell you my thoughts in detail as a response. Although...
    Curly Protector
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any commentry on S4 finale and End of Time would have to be in separate Curly protectors

But do take your time with it. I can wait. 2000 years if need be.

@Eldan: Heard in Smith's voice. Or Tennant's. They sound very similar.

@Aidan305: I doubt it was Firth. I think he would have had a bigger role if he was in it. In other actor news: Simon Callow is in this years finale!!!

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Just saw the premiere. As soon as Mels was named I knew who she'd turn into.
    So, will the Doctor and Amy and Rory
    Spoiler
    Show
    continue chasing baby Melody and the Silents and eyepatch lady, or just let River's timeline unfold from here? The next episode looks unrelated.

19. - Top - End - #109

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    So, will the Doctor and Amy and Rory
    Spoiler
    Show
    continue chasing baby Melody and the Silents and eyepatch lady, or just let River's timeline unfold from here? The next episode looks unrelated.
    Spoiler
    Show

I think it's pretty clear that they don't, because if they *found* baby Melody then Mels would never have grown up to kill the Doctor and turn into River Song, would she? Especially since trying to change your *own* past is one of the big no-nos of time travel in Nu Who.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

I think it's pretty clear that they don't, because if they *found* baby Melody then Mels would never have grown up to kill the Doctor and turn into River Song, would she? Especially since trying to change your *own* past is one of the big no-nos of time travel in Nu Who.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, but I don't see how they could stop the Silence without running into younger River.
    How did younger River get from New York 1969 to England to grow up in the 90s/2000s with Amy and Rory? And on the way stop in 2011 to kill the Doctor in her spacesuit?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, but I don't see how they could stop the Silence without running into younger River.
    How did younger River get from New York 1969 to England to grow up in the 90s/2000s with Amy and Rory? And on the way stop in 2011 to kill the Doctor in her spacesuit?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it involves time travel. You'd never expect that on this show, but it's the only logical explanation.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2011-09-01 at 05:49 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it involves time travel. You'd never expect that on this show, but it's the only logical explanation.
    Obviously, but how does she time travel? Does the space suit have a Tardis in it? I've forgotten a lot about the early episodes.
    And did she know her parents were from England? Did the Silence tell her to go there?
    Last edited by Mauve Shirt; 2011-09-01 at 06:56 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

We don't know yet. We can assume she knows about her parents because she had a picture of Amy in her room in the closed-down orphanage. The space suit does not have a TARDIS, but it did seem like the Silents were trying to build one seperately.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2011-09-01 at 07:42 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    We don't know yet. We can assume she knows about her parents because she had a picture of Amy in her room in the closed-down orphanage. The space suit does not have a TARDIS, but it did seem like the Silents were trying to build one seperately.
    And she has shown an affinity for vortex manipulators, so perhaps that was her method of time travel back then too.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    And she has shown an affinity for vortex manipulators, so perhaps that was her method of time travel back then too.
    Could be. I'm not sure if she has that yet, but we'll probably find out quite soon.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

*notes down more recommendations*
    Dude.
    'The Crusades'? I got to do that if only because I did my A Level Medieval History coursework on the Crusades, and that's got to be fine.
    To the internet!
    Don't tell anyone, but if you if you were to go to dailymotion.com and look for user tardismedia, you too can emulate my insane feat of watching the entire back catalogue of Classic Who.

Assuming that you haven't already found it.

And he hasn't got Genesis on there, thanks to spammers.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Simon View Post
    Don't tell anyone, but if you if you were to go to dailymotion.com and look for user tardismedia, you too can emulate my insane feat of watching the entire back catalogue of Classic Who.

Assuming that you haven't already found it.

And he hasn't got Genesis on there, thanks to spammers.
    Well, actually he's been gradually transferring all the videos over to a different channel, but I'm pretty sure he's linked to it from tardismedia, so it's all fine.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

Well, actually he's been gradually transferring all the videos over to a different channel, but I'm pretty sure he's linked to it from tardismedia, so it's all fine.
    Yes, the link's on his front page. Anything First Doctor and midway through Second Doctor will be on that other site, at time of writing.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Banned

Daemon

1 hour until the terrors...The Night Terrors.

Expect a Sunken Valley review shortly afterwards. I hope to be more positive.

Also, in the coming week I hope to write "Sunken Valley on Finales" a look back at all of the previous finales. Why? Because it's come up countless times, that's why. Don't worry, reviews will be partially curly protected.

30. - Top - End - #120

1 hour until the terrors...The Night Terrors.

Expect a Sunken Valley review shortly afterwards. I hope to be more positive.

Also, in the coming week I hope to write "Sunken Valley on Finales" a look back at all of the previous finales. Why? Because it's come up countless times, that's why. Don't worry, reviews will be partially curly protected.
    In a similar vein, expect an attempt at another running commentary thing. No thoughts until the end, just pure reactions.

And I have a confession to make. I am absolutely petrified of dolls, especially the more traditional style of dolls with porcelain or bisque faces.
    I don't mean scared, I mean, knicker-wettingly terrified of dolls, horrific nightmares. So this review may not exactly be coherent.
    I may wimp out partway through the episode and just post however far I made it into the episode.
    This may be my first ever DNF for Doctor Who.
    So yeah.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!