New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: Doctor Who thread II: "I should have a hat like that." [SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    [Citation needed]
    I can't find concrete proof on them using all dalek models but this is daleky. From that picture it seems to be more like they are going to be relics than fully functioning daleks.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    And you can pick the serial/episode because I feel generous. Or something.
    And because you've seen all of them so you probably have an idea of things that would be interesting/good/easy to collaborate on/make me do something iconically me-ish.
    Something that might (on the surface of things) cause us to have differing opinions maybe?

As I said, your choice.
    It's a tough decision - on the one hand a modern Who episode might make more sense since it is a single, self-contained entity, on the other hand I think some classic stuff would be more fun. It sort of depends on what you can get hold of, but if you're aware of tardismedia/matrixarchive then most options shouldn't be a problem.

To that end, I reckon we have a go with at least the first episode of one of the following classic serials:

The Daemons - The Master, the Brigadier, Third Doctor, Jo Grant, Bessie and all sorts of Hammer Horror tropes.

The Curse of Peladon - Third Doctor and Jo again, with some rubbery alien costumes that are rescued (I think) by the performances.

The Talons of Weng-Chiang - Fourth Doctor and Leela, loose in Victorian London with all sorts of Victorian melodrama tropes from Sherlock Holmes to Fu-Manchu.

These stretch to 5, 4 and 6 episodes respectively but as each is only 20-25 minutes long it should give us time for commenting as well.

The other option would be to throw it open to public vote, as long as we didn't have to sit through something like Fear Her
    Last edited by Dr. Simon; 2012-05-15 at 05:08 AM.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Banned

Daemon

[Citation needed]
    Go to te newsagents. Get doctor who monthly. Moffat confirms it.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Simon View Post
    The other option would be to throw it open to public vote, as long as we didn't have to sit through something like Fear Her
    Oooh, oooh, do Fear Her!

Don't mind me. Basically, this is me, subscribing. I just noticed that we have aa Doctor Who thread...

...yeah, I should hang in media more often.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's a tough decision - on the one hand a modern Who episode might make more sense since it is a single, self-contained entity, on the other hand I think some classic stuff would be more fun. It sort of depends on what you can get hold of, but if you're aware of tardismedia/matrixarchive then most options shouldn't be a problem.
    I am definitely aware of tardismedia/matrixarchive. Granted Classic does mean a serial, but think of the special effects. And the costumes. And the budget.
    Also if it came down to Nu Who the only series I've not done are seasons one and two, and I've seen them within the last . . . year or so, so it'd be more fun (for me at least) to see some more Classic stuff.

To that end, I reckon we have a go with at least the first episode of one of the following classic serials:

The Daemons - The Master, the Brigadier, Third Doctor, Jo Grant, Bessie and all sorts of Hammer Horror tropes.

The Curse of Peladon - Third Doctor and Jo again, with some rubbery alien costumes that are resuced (I think) by the performances.

The Talons of Weng-Chiang - Fourth Doctor and Leela, loose in Victorian London with all sorts of Victorian melodrama tropes from Sherlock Holmes to Fu-Manchu.

These stretch to 5, 4 and 6 episodes respectively but as each is only 20-25 minutes long it should give us time for commenting as well.
    TALONS OF WENG-CHIANG IS MY PICK!
    Fourth Doctor? Victoriana? Sherlock Holmes? Fu-Manchu? How could I not be full of love for this serial?
    WAS THIS DURING THE TIME OF ROBERT HOLMES? BECAUSE I'VE SEE WORK BY HIM! (Well, I know he wrote three of the Classic serials I own) AND HE'S MEANT TO BE INSANELY GOOD!
    IS THIS THE HORROR PERIOD OF DOCTOR WHO?!

Oh, I don't care what anyone else says, we are doing this. So hard.

If we threw it open to public vote they would pick that, now that you've mentioned it. And we don't want that picked.

. . .

In retrospect I should very glad you took pity on a poor wee lass and didn't pick 'Rose' or something similar shouldn't I?

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
    Oooh, oooh, do Fear Her!

NOOOOOOOO!!!
    That's a bad episode. Seriously, does anyone actually like 'Fear Her'? At all?

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
    Don't mind me. Basically, this is me, subscribing. I just noticed that we have aa Doctor Who thread...

...yeah, I should hang in media more often.
    Just a bit.
    'ticularly as there are several people who've reviewed Doctor Who episodes past and present, and make for interesting recommendations or ideas.

re: Updates:
    I have been horribly sick for much of the week, and my Finals start Monday. I will try to upload my review sometime this weekend. But no promises.
    However, I am a little over halfway through the episode, so it does look likely.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ettin in the Playground

Just a bit.
    I know, I know. Unforgivable.

'ticularly as there are several people who've reviewed Doctor Who episodes past and present, and make for interesting recommendations or ideas.
    Yup. I came, I saw, I...compiled a "to watch" list. I never saw any of the Classic Who due to the small problem of being in Italy. I'm going to rectify that asap.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Orc in the Playground

TALONS OF WENG-CHIANG IS MY PICK!
    Fourth Doctor? Victoriana? Sherlock Holmes? Fu-Manchu? How could I not be full of love for this serial?
    WAS THIS DURING THE TIME OF ROBERT HOLMES? BECAUSE I'VE SEE WORK BY HIM! (Well, I know he wrote three of the Classic serials I own) AND HE'S MEANT TO BE INSANELY GOOD!
    IS THIS THE HORROR PERIOD OF DOCTOR WHO?!

Oh, I don't care what anyone else says, we are doing this. So hard.
    Done.

And, yes, it's written by Robert Holmes. It's sort of within the horror period. I'd say that was truly the second series of Tom Baker's, with the likes of Brain of Morbius and Pyramids of Mars, but this story (from the third TB series) definitely plunders the Gothic Horror genre-pool and feasts upon its bones. Did I mention the 51st century war criminal and the psychotic midget cyborg?
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

8. - Top - End - #1448

Done.

And, yes, it's written by Robert Holmes. It's sort of within the horror period. I'd say that was truly the second series of Tom Baker's, with the likes of Brain of Morbius and Pyramids of Mars, but this story (from the third TB series) definitely plunders the Gothic Horror genre-pool and feasts upon its bones. Did I mention the 51st century war criminal and the psychotic midget cyborg?
    I am so very full of happiness at this.
    I studied Gothic Horror two years ago you know. I'll be troping along pointing out things and Things and Things That May Reference Things.

Now to figure out how to do this.
    It'll be extra fun because I'm of the insanely-large wall of text rambling style, and you tend to write a nice concise few paragraphs about things that are fairly well argued, composed and logical.
    Those last few things are things I am not.

Now I'll just go back to panicking thank you very much.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Or you can do short and concise while Dr. Simon does rambling + literary refs + demands for X fic :)

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LokeyITP View Post
    Or you can do short and concise while Dr. Simon does rambling + literary refs + demands for X fic :)
    Now that would just be perverse

11. - Top - End - #1451

Quote Originally Posted by LokeyITP View Post
    . . .

Now that would just be perverse
    Yeah that.
    We might break the space-time continuum or something!

And do I really demand X fic so very often? Everything else I buy.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Orc in the Playground

Default Dr. Si's New Who Recommendations

Continuing my plan to post what I think to be the highlights of every season of Doctor Who, old and new.

For each series I choose 2 or 3 of what I consider to be the best stories, and a selection of also-rans. "Stories" may comprise any number of actual episodes (somewhere between 1-14, typically 4 or 6). Older Who is nearly always episodic, with NuWho most episodes are self-contained. Feel free to expand on my brief comments, agree, disagree etc. This is, after all, purely subjective.

First Doctor

Second Doctor

Third Doctor

Fourth Doctor

Fifth Doctor

Sixth Doctor

Seventh Doctor

Eighth Doctor
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, I realised it was a Monday and I've had this sitting around a while, so it's time (fanfare) to move on to the revamped series.

Overall thoughts; it took me a while to warm to Ecclestone's Doctor but by the end of the series he's portrayed quite a nuanced character, hiding bitterness beneath a facade of foolishness, something that has been continued in all the new era Doctors. The Doctor has always had an edge, of anger over injustice, and of annoyance at those less intelligent than him (everyone, as he sees it), to differing degrees in each incarnation. Adding the scars of the Time War (and the gradual revelation) is a good move, even though the continued resurgance of the daleks makes you wonder how much use the Time Lock is.

The other major difference to earlier series is that the companion is given a continued connection to home (most previous companions have been orphans of one kind or another, actual or metaphorical; none have ever popped back home as often as Rose does). This is reinforced by the fact that, for this season, all the action takes place on or around Earth in various time zones. I can see the reasoning for this; we the audience care more about Earth than some distant future planet inhabited by people with silver hair. For my tastes it's a bit overdone, but I did quite like the Pete Tyler arc that runs through into the next season.

Series One (2005)
    Ninth Doctor/Rose

Fathers Day – A mainly character-based personal story on a theme that wasn’t tackled in the old series, but is a pretty obvious thing to try if you have time travel. At times it feels a little too claustrophobic, like it needs a B-story, but really it doesn’t.

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances – I loved this one. You don’t need loads of special effects for truly creepy monsters, just a little boy in a gas mask. The first appearance of Captain Jack, making the story slightly less of a simple monster chase.

Honourable Mentions
    Dalek – Yes, we’re back to the daleks again, but it's good to see the updated version. My original notes said that this episode made them dangerous again, but actually Remembrance manages to do that. However, it helps reveal the darker side of the Ninth Doctor and sets us up nicely for:

Bad Wolf/The Parting Of The Ways – Marred, for me, by the Big Brother stuff (how to date your show very quickly) and by the God-Power Rose, demonstrating a penchant for Deus Ex Machina which RTD would pull out of the box a few more times before the end of his run. The stuff with the daleks attacking Babylo… er, Satellite Five was good, though, and Capn Jack gets the best lines: “Do I look like an out of bounds kind of guy?”, “Am I naked on television? Ladies, I think your ratings just went up!” and my favourite - Dalek :”Exterminate!” Jack (in world-weary fashion) “Yeah, I kinda figured that.”
    Last edited by Dr. Simon; 2012-05-15 at 05:22 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1453

Koorly's Archive of Her Doctor Who Reviews:
    Classic Who
    Spoiler
    Show
    Second Doctor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Series 6
    'The Invasion' Part 1/8, Part 2/8, Part 3/8 part one, part two, Part 4/8 part one, part two, Part 5/8, Part 6/8, Part 7/8, Part 8/8

Fourth Doctor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Series 12
    'Genesis of the Daleks' Part 1/6, Part 2/6

Nu Who
    Spoiler
    Show

Season 1 - retrospective

Season 2 - retrospective

Season 3 - blind bar Moffat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ep. 1: 'Smith and Jones' -missing.
    Ep. 2: 'The Shakespeare Code'
    Ep. 3: 'Gridlock'
    Ep. 4: 'Daleks in Manhattan' (part 1/2)
    Ep. 5: 'Evolution of the Daleks' (part 2/2)
    Ep. 6: 'The Lazarus Experiment'
    Ep. 7: '42'
    Ep. 8: 'Human Nature' (part 1/2)
    Ep. 9: 'The Family of Blood' (part 2/2)
    Ep. 10: 'Blink'
    Ep. 11: 'Utopia' (part 1/3)
    Ep. 12: 'The Sound of the Drums' (part 2/3)
    Ep. 13: 'The Last of the Time Lords' (part 3/3)

Children in Need 2007 episode: 'Time Crash'
    2007 Christmas Episode: 'Voyage of the Damned'

Bits and Bobs About Season 3
    Retrospective - to be written later
    Why I Do Not Like Martha/Ten (This was written between my write ups of ep. 8 and ep 9)

Season Four blind bar Moffat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ep. 1: 'Partners in Crime'
    Ep. 2: 'The Fires of Pompeii'
    Ep. 3: 'Planet of the Ood'
    Ep. 4: 'The Sontaran Stratagem' Part 1/2
    Ep. 5: ‘The Poison Sky‘ Part 2/2
    Ep. 6: ‘The Doctor‘s Daughter‘ Posted in two parts.
    Ep. 7: 'The Unicorn and the Wasp'

Season 5 - blind bar Moffat's Angels
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ep. 11: 'The Lodger'

Season 6
    Spoiler
    Show
    To to things this series was split in two, as such eps. 8 - Christmas episode will be liveblogged, and the first seven will be written with me having seen them before.

Ep. 8: 'Let's Kill Hitler'
    Ep. 9: 'Night Terrors'
    Ep. 10: 'The Girl Who Waited'
    Ep. 11: 'The God Complex'
    Ep. 12: 'Closing Time'
    Ep. 13: Missing

2011 Christmas Special: 'The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe'

And now, to boldly go where many have gone before. [*cue TOS theme (Such a classic introduction)*]
    The Invasion Part 6/8
    Spoiler
    Show
    Previously on 'The Invasion' nothing much really happened, except that the Doctor has finally almost found out what we already knew from almost the beginning (thanks to Nu Who), my Jamie was hauled off to London by the Girls because Feminism! and they got a policeman killed because they didn't come out of the sewers when they were told to.
    Our Villains, meanwhile, used the CyberKill 5000 to drive a Cyberman insane when they meant to kill it. He is now known as CyberLoony and is currently accidentally helping to trap our Boys in the London sewers.

And now!:

I would like to add that the theme song is played over what looks like animated Georgia O'Keefe paintings. Heh. Dancing vaginas.

Quickly recap the last ten or so of the last episode - oh no, the screaming. And then cut to Sgt. Benton telling the Brig (how'd he get there so fast?) where our Boys are. So they go get a torch. Because that's helpful.

Ugh. Zoe. She panics and Jamie urges the Girls back up against the wall. And we have our first instance of Jamie touching/being touched by someone who isn't the Doctor (since I started doing this). It's as trippy as it sounds.

But Jamie proves he's a clever duck because the Obviously Not Normal Cyberman screams and flails on past them.

Z: "He ignored us!" No!

J: "It's out of control. It's sort of wild." At the risk of being obvious about something, that's a bit obvious. Still, a C18th Scotsman figured out what a genius from the near-future (as I am informed by readers (God, I have readers, maybe even fans)) managed to work out that a Cyberman not acting in typical Cybermannish fashion was unusual and could possibly be fooled by such a thing.

And, yes, there was a similar scene in that Cyberman serial I've been bitching about for the entire serial. And of course, similar scenes involving sewers and Daleks in another two-parter in season two Nu Who.

Oh. And yes, echoing screams of insane Cybermen are heard in the background. 00:45.

Oh, it was Cpt. Jimmy Turner. Well, he and his Boys. I suppose I should say Men. Our Men are now investigating the sewers because you know, disappearing policeman and Our Boys and so on. Also, they could hear CyberLoony's screams. So they have guns. I endorse this.

Redshirt One asks what the noise is, probably because they've never heard an attempt to replicate the noises of a Great Old One before, and then they head . . . left. Which I think was the direction our Boys and Policeman 'Tache took, so they're going the right way.

OH MY WORD MISS LEGS WAS SENSIBLE! See, first Cpt. Jimmy Turner started shouting for her, then Jamie (note the absence of Zoe on anyone's Radar of Concern, despite her being by far the youngest), and she didn't even say anything until she knew who it was!

Then she goes and ruins her moment of brief intelligence by saying "That's him. Somebody's coming." Also, as Jamie kindly reminds us, there are Cybermen in that direction as well as CyberLoony; but then Miss Legs is logical again and says that ore Cybermen might come along is they just stay where they are.

Either way, Cpt. Jimmy Turner shouts again wanting to know if Our Boys are actually down there. Which they are because Sgt. Benton saw them go down there, so he/I probably mean 'within hearing distance'.

This is something of a Kobayashi Maru (hahaha, I'm playing this up a bit aren't I?) because they can stay quiet, and risk getting CyberUpgraded or they can shout out and then draw attention to their position, running the risk of getting CyberUpgraded.

Frankly, I'll just remind Our Boys that thanks to Cpt. Jimmy Turner (the Kobayashi Maru) that the Klingons already know of their presence thanks to said Kobayashi Maru's emergency signal - I mean - shouting.

Might as well just run towards the shouting if they already know someone's there. See, at least with the Men you have guns to defend you and redshirts to die for you.

So to recap my overly complicated simile: we have two groups of humans wondering around in the dark in enemy territory (and said enemy can probably see in the dark); one has guns and no knowledge of where the other party is; the other party knows the very general area of Party Two, but is incommunicado. Things may get messy.

Or have the 'round the corner and bump into each other' moment including gasping, clutching at their heart and weaponry raised to attack.

Either way, we're with Party Two, and Sgt. Beton thinks Party One's been TPKd by the dungeon denizens. And then oh my goodness Cpt. Jimmy Turner decides that seeing as how the sewers are a maze, it'd be a good idea to get in contact with the Brig, and decide to retreat.

Shame about the Cybermen a bit further down the tunnel then in't it? Hee~! Cpt. Jimmy Turner's in front with his trusty pistol aimed at the Cybermen as the rest of his men - armed with what appear to be assault rifles - are behind him. This I think is rather silly.

C(yberman): "Do not move." Oh wow, the voices are slightly modulated aand vibrate. Also, the costumes, silly as they are, aren't so bad once you get used to them; and in the dark sewers they are surprisingly effective considering how poor they are compared to modern special effects.

Cpt: "Sergeant, grenades." Captain, enclosed space with a roof made of a road above you. Things may collapse. But still: grenades!

Sgt: "Yes, sir."

C: "Do not resist. You will obey instructions." We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service ours. Seriously, raise the pitch of the Borg voice and make it a teeny bit more sing-song and your have the voice of Classic Cybermen. So only twenty-three years like Star Trek.

Cpt: "What do you want us to do?" Be assimilated, duh.

C: "You will come with us. Obey." Resistance is futile. Cpt. Jimmy Turner palms the grenade handed to him by Sgt Benton, "Obey or you will be destroyed."

Hello CyberLoony! I can hear you scream, and oh isn't it delightful. Even the Cybermen are startled. So startled they go to grapple the poor boy, and the Men being soldiers, use the enemy's distraction to their advantage and lob a grenade at it.

Now seeing as I'm fairly certain these are actual London sewers, I'm expecting to see a cut to a sound stage pretty soon.Or a flashbang pretending to be a grenade. That was distinctly unimpressive.

These are Cybermen. ROBOTS! They shouldn't be scared and fall over from a piddling little flashbang. I've seen firecrackers more powerful than that!

Somehow those two dinky grenades incapacitated two Cybermen, and one of the dead is CyberLoony. 'Course, I'm only assuming as there's no more screaming or flailing; although a stumbling CYberman looks oddly cute.

Then! Then Redshirt Two (Perkins) decides to leg it even though they took out two-thirds of the attacking force! Coward. Naturally the running man attracts the attention the Cyberman who powers his chest up (I don't know . . . ) to kill the redshirt a la Dalek lazors.

Cut to Our Boys. ML: "At least we should have warned them!" Thus giving me the impression that they stood there and watched the redshirt get lazored. How callous.

OFF-SCREEN ASPLOSIONS!

Cpt: "Isobel, Jamie, Zoe! Are you down there?" Now they remember Zoe. Naturally after all the asplosions Our Boys respond in the affirmation and hurry hastily towards the ladder.

ML: "Oh thank goodness - "

Cpt: "Shut up!" Cpt. Jimmy Turner's a man after my own heart. "Come on, get out of here and keep out of the way." Marry me. And if anyone objects to his treatment of Miss Legs and Our Boys remember: idiot civilians went and got one of the men under his command killed. He is not a happy bunny right now.

Oh, but he still trusts Jamie to keep a good lookout because he "think[s] one of those Cybermen is still alive." Okay, now I do cry misogyny here. Jamie's as much a civvie as the Girls, and as far as Cpt. Jimmy Turner knows, he's had no military experience. 'Course Our Jamie was also at the back of the group and Cpt. Jimmy Turner had already sent everyone else up the ladder or had given them another duty. Jamie does not look his best
    here

And how can you only think one of the Cybermen is still alive Cpt. Jimmy Turner when its walking towards you! (In fabulous heeled boots and moderately skintight pseudo-lycra leggings too - you can even make out the hems)

And then we see that everyone truly wants Jamie as the Cyberman is seen groping him as he exits the sewers, and Cpt. Jimmy Turner then has to fight with the Cyberman to stop him from groping Jamie. In the scene note how Cpt Jimmy Turner has his hand on Jamie's upper thigh to stop Jamie flashing the camera and for extra leverage. Jamie helps defeat the wishes of fangirls everywhere by making sure to keep a firm hold of his knee just in case.

Also: an alien robot from outside space has less upper body strength than two weak and puny earthlings. No wonder they want to assimilate us; our muscles are more effective than their . . . pistons? Robot stuff.

Cpt Jimmy Turner's response to this groping is pragmatic. Get a gun. Sgt. Benton gets a gun. Oh, this is adorable!

I was expecting a headshot, but instead we have Sgt. Redshirt using the butt of the rifle to hit the Cyberman's forearm. And there are dull clanging noises! Oh this is marvellous! And the sound effect is surprisingly good. But well, let's face it, it's obviously a man in a fabric suit - you can see it indenting and bouncing - and yet it goes clong. It makes me smile.

And it makes the Cyberman retreat.

Robot. Hurt by a puny human hitting it on the arm with a rifle. It retreats back into the sewers and Sgt. Benton drops a grenade on its head. Bye-bye Cyberman.

Sgt. "I just don't believe it sir. All them grenades and he still came out of it." And was then driven off by hitting it with a metal stick.

Cut to the Doctor doing Science with wires and a microscope. I sense incoming technoTreknobabble. And very nice piano music. I was right. D: "There's an alien logic in these circuits but I haven't been able to work it out yet." Well, that's not very babbly is it?

Whut. There was a time skip between the previous scene and this one. A big one considering that Miss legs is developing her photos for the Brig to file Evidence of Alien Invasion with the necessary authorities. If he leaves for Geneva tomorrow "we should get some action within two or three days." Insert a crude sexual joke here.

D: "But that might be too late!" True.

Oh my Miss Legs, as much as I hate you as a person you are a nice bit of totty. Those legs. Especially compared to Zoe in her primary school pinny. But fanservice aside, Miss Legs has finished the pictures.

B: "I don't mean to hurt your professional pride Miss Watkins, but they do look a little like fakes." The photos in question. The second one does look a right mess, just an overexposed contrast between Cybermen and the dark sewer, but the top one's got a fair amount of detail in it.

I call lampshade. Because the Cybermen are men in suits, and that's exactly what they look like too. I mean, you can see the zipper! And if you were told alien robot invaders from outside space were invading Londinium or Earth in general you wouldn't expect them to look like that would you?

ALSO YOU KNOW HAVE AN ACTUAL MILITARY ENCOUNTER WITH THE CYBERMEN. ON AN OFFICIAL MILITARY REPORT. GOING TO UNIT COMMAND. DUDE.

This also means a good half of the last episode was entirely pointless! From a plot point of view. So Miss Legs storms off in a hissy fit. I don't really care because the less time she has on-screen the happier I am.

Jamie doesn't get how UNIT CC can't tell they're Cybermen, and the Brig simply says they're a bunch of sceptics. This somehow gives the Doctor an idea. Do we know what this idea is?

Nope because we cut to Our Villains in the Villain Office of Villain HQ where Packer is telling Frollo that UNIT "attacked three Cybermen and destroyed two of them." Uh no, there were three, then two went down in the initial attack, then the last one had a grenade dropped on his head. I think that'd be three for three no?

Frollo, for some reason says that this is clever, and then assuages Packer's fears about official reports, saying they will be "meaningless, Packer. In a few hours time, the invasion will be complete. There cannot possibly be any serious opposition."

Frollo, Doctor; Doctor, Frollo. This is the dude that scared you alien robot allies into demanding he be destroyed. Clues, get one. However, it does seem likely he won't be facing any concerted military opposition, so in a sense he is right.

Packer is panicky again. He's even nibbling his thumbnail as part of a nervous tic. I quite like that because while his facial expressions remain more or less stoic - or at least adult - he nibbles and nibbles away at that thumb of his like an errant schoolboy. And guys, once again, Frollo's voice is amazing. He's just very confident in himself and his victory.

F: "Just look at it, out there" he points out the window, "Soon we shall control all that." The matte painting? Because if you mean what the matte painting is supposed to represent, I got to tell you, it's London. You really want to deal with your soulmate Peter Mandelson? It's just that while you're a robot in a human suit, he's a Dark Lord and Leader of the Sith. He'll feed you into the machine and use your earthly remains for compost! Or spare parts in your case.

Oh? You have a machine too? Tough. He's not a Cyberman.

Oh, speaking of machines, it seems the Prof has finished his machine, it now has a kind of trumpet attachment to it. This was clearly cobbled together from things they nicked out someone's bin.

P: "This is madness." No, this is an overused meme. "That machine is a deadly weapon now." If you're a Cyberman.

F: "Really?" He sounds intrigued, and just a little bit mocking. Probably because when you ask someone to make a weapon to kill things it's meant to be deadly.

P: "The modifications" (I think he means the trumpet thing) "were quite unnecesaary" (if you don't mind surviving an alien invasion) "It worked perfectly well as it was." By instead driving the alien robot insane and unable to be controlled, think logically or act rationally. Yes. It worked perfectly.

F: "For your purposes, perhaps, Professor." (But I am a Villain and must do Villainous Things! Wait, what was The Machine's original purpose anyway?) "I have a somewhat different use for it." His eyes are all squinty and he looks . . . aroused. I made absolutely no edits to that at all.

That face is making me extremely uncomfortable now, and given that he said it while saying those exact words . . . eeeuuuhhhh. Doesn't help that he's an older gentleman who attire looks somewhat like that of a priest, and we all know the jokes about them. Also he still doesn't blink and he always has this kind of half-wink/sneer thing going on.

He is very disturbing and I regret pausing it for a moment so I could keep up with the dialogue.

P: "All right, all right. Do with it what you will. The machine's yours now." And the trumpet thing is actually a prototype penis enlarger. Oh God. I swear I made that 'joke' before I saw it. I swear. This is rapidly becoming very child unfriendly.

P: "Now will you let me out of this place?" No, Mr. Bond, he expects you to die. "And let Isobel go free, as you promised?" I keep forgetting that's her name.

F: "But, my dear fellow, she is free." Frollo keeps admiring his . . . machine . . . while the Prof desires greatly to know where his niece is; Frollo clearly couldn't care less. And of course, the first thing Frollo wants to do with his new . . . toy . . . is to . . . play with it . . . on the Prof.

It does work on humans then. Also, the faces the Prof makes are also somewhat uncomfortable not only in the accidentally rape-sexual way, but also in the literal way as he's being tortured by fear.

This seems familiar somehow.

Frollo mechanised the Ringwraiths! Also the myrdraal. And the eponymous devil's foot from the Sherlock Holmes stories. Strong enough to kill too.

Strong to get the Amoral Villain Scientist wrestle the Electro-Nazgul away from Frollo. As you'd imagine this doesn't turn out well for him as he then threatens to turn the full effects of the Nazgul Machine onto him. At full power.

This is apparently more than a bit Not Good as said Scientist then proceeds to grovel on the floor (okay, he was pushed, but stand up man!) and backtrack. A lot. "I was only afraid that if we still needed the Professor . . . " Fortunately enough, Frollo's more than a bit pragmatic, so he acknowledges that it would be important for the two main brains behind the machine to live just in case something went wrong.

Also naturally, the Prof is taken back to his gilded cage, and orders the Nazgul Machines to be mass-produced. After all, what home doesn't need an unholy avatar of pure greed, evil and corruption capable of inducing heart-stopping fear? Aside from mine, obviously.

P: Vaughn, obviously I can't choose but work for you" (well there is) "If I refuse, you'll torture me, you'll kill me" (so do it on your own terms) "I know I can't stand up to torture" (you're a man in his early to mid-fifties and an scientist after all) "and I don't want to die. You're an evil man, Vaughn." No! "You're sadistic. You're a megalomaniac. You're insane." (everyone knows that) "I pity you. But if I get half a chance, I'll kill you!"

. . . Surprisingly badass of you Prof.

Except that Frollo just called your bluff mate. He places Packer's gun in the Prof's hand, chuckling and smiling all the while. Then he straight up bitchslaps him in the face when he hesitates! Say what you like about him, but he has some twisted style.

Now he's straight up goading him! "Come on, the gun's loaded, or haven't you got the courage to pull the trigger?" Oh, and he's opened his blazer to give him an even cleaner shot at the heart than before. Oh, the ham, it is wonderful!

Whoa. The Prof did pull the trigger. Three times. Shame about the auto-focus as the camera zooms in on the Prof's shocked face though. Ruins the moment a bit.

Then he faints.

That would be because he's immune to bullets. Quick! Somebody edit TVTropes! Ooooh yeah, I forgot: robot. And those bullet holes look like cigarette burns, but still oddly effective. And yes, this reveal does come with a cultured evil laugh complete with tilting the head backwards, how did you guess?! Then the Prof.'s hauled back to his lab.

Speaking of labs, the Doctor's still doing Science! stuff in a lab somewhere. And there's a radio communiations centre set up there now. But more importantly Miss Legs has changed clothes and is, I think, in a shorter dress than before. And in something you'd probably call misogynistic, is acting the tea lady.

But who cares?! I see something adorable and it is a Jamie asleep in a chair tucked in with a blanket (the Doctor totally did that). And we get a nice shot of some lovely legs.

Two types of fanservice there guys. Enjoy.

The only downside is that it's been a good half an hour since Jamie touched the Doctor, and now Miss Legs is ruffling the cute Jamie's hair in his sleep. Only the Doctor can do that!

Also: my headcanon for this little scene? Jamie missed the Doctor, and now he refuses to leave the Doctor's presence (and Jamie was worried down in the sewers) even though he's so tired.

Seriously you guys, I d'awwwwed out loud.

WOMAN DON'T YOU BY WAKING MY JAMIE UP JUST FOR TEA! LET HIM SLEEP THE SLEEP OF THE ADORABLE! AND GET BACK IN THE KITCHEN WHERE YOU BELONG! Oh it's okay, Jamie sleeps like a log.

Oh no, plot. Cpt. Jimmy Turner's calling UNIT Control on a CB radio. Remember those? Never mind, there wasn't any plot, it was a segway to some flirting. And I have the sneaky suspicion that if this were in colour Miss Legs' dress would be blue. Therefore this is the Sexy Alice Dress.

Good Heavens. I think she's going to get character development. Or at least fake it to get into the Captain's trousers. Little minx.

After a bit of an awkward silence, ML: "I'm forgiven then?"

Cap: "What?" His tone is very much of the 'what is she going on about this time?' flatness.

ML: "For being such a twit" (to say the least) and going down those sewers. I'm sorry about the soldier."

Cap: "Yes well, it's all right. You weren't to know what you were really letting yourself in for." Excuse Cpt. I know you really want to get to discover Alice's wonderland, but let me point out some things to you:

One: the Doctor. Told them quite emphatically that the Cybermen were dangerous. Has seen the Cybermen in the same serials as Jamie, and presumably prior to that on his adventures.

Two: Jamie. Has seen the Cybermen before. Pardon me if I cheat a tad and make the very briefest of skims of Wikipedia articles, but Jamie has seen the Cybermen in three serials: 'The Moonbase', 'The Tomb of the Cybermen', and 'The Wheel in Space'. HE REALLY KNEW WHAT HE WAS LETTING HIMSELF IN FOR. The only reason I'm not holding Jamie culpable for this escapade was that he literally had no idea what was going on, and then had to to stop idiots being idiots.

Three: Zoe. Has seen the Cybermen before. Her first serial was 'The Wheel in Space', an episode in which her colleagues were murdered by Cybermen (and what, Zoe's old enough to work? Da Hell) so she definitely knows just what she was letting herself in for.

AND SHE STILL WENT OFF WITH MISS LEGS.

Four: Even putting aside the very real fact that Cybermen are real, and assuming they were just . . . elaborate Commie military gear, she was recently kidnapped and held hostage by a Villain! A Villain who has been proven to be at least allied with the Cybermen.

She was risking getting recaptured and possibly raped and beaten and murdered out of some stupid prideful notion!

Five: she was ordered by the military not to go into a potential combat zone! I'm a bit of a git, and somewhat anti-authoritarian, but I wouldn't do that sort of thing because I like living and having all my body parts in tact.

To sum up: everyone around her told her not to go, it was dangerous, and there were people far more suited to the job at hand, and she went.

Lady and gentlemen, I give you: the idiot holding the idiot ball! And the Cap is holding a Dalek prototype. Least now we know where they got the idea from.

Blah blah, Miss Legs flirts a bit more, explains how clueless she was, and then "I've just been listening to Zoe telling the Brigadier all about them for his report, and they really do sound as murderous as they look." Well, I think they look quite cute in a retro low-budget way. And Zoe, wouldn't you and Jamie have told Miss Legs about them before? Seeing as you did kind of get two men killed over your little stunt. One of whom was a police officer everyone has forgotten about!

More stuff about the near-indestructibility of the Cybermen, and then a wonderfully subtle bit of foreshadowing from the Capt, "I'd hate to have to face a whole army of them." Assume for a moment that we're all complete idiots and have forgotten the name of the serial; we know that Cybermen travel in CyberPacks, and that there are trainloads of Cybermen in the sewers of London.

And we know the Villain Plan. This then, is something called 'dramatic irony'; this is a common literary technique in Doctor Who, and most mulit-POV media really because the audience almost always knows more than the characters.

Granted, this is a clunky bit of foreshadowing, although completely understandable. But it's stupid in-universe because we have two eye-witness reports of massive shipments of Cybermen in deep freeze and being defrosted. And a lot of suspicious activity in general. I suppose he could be trying to delude himself.

And here comes the revelation! D: "No! No, no, no, no, no!" I think someone just put one and one together to make two. It's cute, his outburst I mean, it's a shade petulant, but mostly worried.

What's even cuter is that it wakes up Jamie. And I need me some Jamie/Doctor interaction right now (exams are evil), so if you don't mind (and I hope you don't), J: "Hmm. What's the matter, Doctor?" The Doctor looks grumpy. "Would someone mind telling me what's going on?"

Cap: "Don't worry Jamie. Finish your tea and get back to sleep." Okay, one: give me Doctor/Jamie interaction. Now. Two: this is yet more proof that sleepy!Jamie is adorable.

Le sigh. Then the plot happens. In essence, things are happening over at the Villain Base. So the Brig is fetched and more plot happens. Basically, Sgt. Benton saw some redshirts leaving with (presumably) PP and the Prof, so he's going to tail them.

But, I'll be further damned if Captain Jimmy Turner's not going to suggest some valiant effort or something in order to impress Miss Legs. Oh and what do you know. Cap: "Look, sir, we could intercept and release the Professor."

Because the wouldn't be an official mission, and would break lots of laws and things the Brig hesitates. But it turns out that puppy dog eyes (Miss Legs) used in conjunction with logic and hinting at a larger problem (the Doctor) leads to him acceding to the request.

Antics can only ensue. After all, we all know what Romeo did to get Juliet. We all know about Hero and Leander. And we all most definitely know what Menelaus and Paris did for Helen.

Okay, this isn't going to go as far as that, I hope, but it just proves that antics will ensue to prove you love a woman. And so, it seems, does the Brig who says "Jimmy, don't take any chances, Vaughn's lot know we mean business and they won't be playing games." Because love is a game and games are not fit for war grounds. Except footie.

And Cpt. Jimmy Turner proves he's . . . pragmatic by taking a full assault platoon (twenty-six to fifty men!) with him. On the one hand, Sgt. Benton only saw three guys with the Prof., on the other hand: Cybermen. Good call Captain. And the Brig gloats quite happily about the battle the villains will face.

Amoral Scientist (I think, he's not in glasses or a labcoat): "There were at last thirty of them" (thirty to fifty to be precise) "all UNIT men and all armed, Mr. Vaughn." Okay, I laughed. I like a good ironic jump cut like that; bet the fight scene wasn't included for budget reasons.

Frollo is kind of grinning in an evil fashion in the background as Amoral Scientist explains there was nothing that could be done, I mean one platoon against two guards, bit of a long-shot that isn't it? I don't like that way Frollo's grinning, it bodes poorly for the eventual fate of the Amoral Scientist who "r[a]n away". The music doesn't help either as the oboe is basically trilling the Ominous Death Knell in the background music there.

F: "You realise, of course, that without the Professor's assistance it will not be possible to get the Cerebraton machine on the production line." (Nice camera angle here, keeping Amoral Scientist's profile as the pivot point in the foreground as it follows Frollo's Villain Pacing from the back of the room to the front)

This little reminder is the obvious indicator that Amoral Scientist is about to pop his clogs, even as he begs for a little more time. Of course, next scene he's [pulsated] (according to the subtitles that's how Cybermen kill) to death in the sewers.

Back at the Doctor's lab, still nobody knows what the circuits do, but finally the Doctor does get a clue. "Vaughn's going to use the Professor's machine as a weapon against the Cybermen once he's done with them!" We already knew this, and because I saw 'Closing Time' before I saw 'The Invasion' I knew this twice over; but given that this is one of the first six odd serials about the, I will assume this is an entirely new thing and deserves the repetition. Endlessly.

And from this he someone deduces that the extra circuitry is "emotional . . . No wonder they weren't logical." Just going out on a limb here and saying this is all made up. Then science happens as everyone else stands around bamboozled.

Well, 'cepting the Brig who's off to Control again for an early bed before he's off to Geneva. Jamie, being awesome says "if anything exciting happens, wake me up, will you? I was in the middle of a lovely dream."

Z: "Honestly Jamie. Cybermen underneath London and all you can think about is your sleep." Man after my own heart.

And then there was a Cyberman in the sewers! And another! And then loads!

But that's okay because it's just a random cutaway to show that time is progressing along with the speed of the invasion force. And this way when Zoe wakes up Jamie it implies that actual time has gone by. See, something important's happened.

And the Doctor takes time out of his technoTreknobabble to say "how do you do Jamie?" like it's not as if he was three or four feet away having a nap. Adorable. And at this rate, I'll take all the Doctor/Jamie interaction I can. The Plan is revealed, complete with diagrams, annotated for your convenience!

But it turns out if you wear this depolariser (what?) at the back of the neck it jams the Cyberwaves. So humanity gains a Sontaran weakness. And the Hell is a neuristor? Is that even a thing? I think not! Oh, it is. Now I look like a right muggins. And because this is a key ingredient or something Zoe then takes the Prof. off to make anti-Cyberwave stuff after all "the invasion could come at any moment".

Guess where we cut to. No, guess. Frollo's office? You're right! And there's a CyberAlarm going too. Okay, I think Frollo's having a stroke. That eye never opens right, and the other side of his face is all droopy. That face is Made of Wrong. So, one hour to go. I bet the invasion launches at dawn and the Cybership is moving into position. It's always dawn. Always.

We then get this slightly awkward zoom in on a flashing crystal before fading to a cut of the Cybership in outside space. It's not that bad. I wonder if they had Supermarionation help make the model?

Ominous charging up of alien weapons asides, the Doctor's on the phone - radio - to the Brig ordering that things started being prepared pretty damn quickly because, you know, invasion.

And poor Zoe (ha) has to tell the Doctor that she and the Prof. only made three anti-wave thingies. The Doctor? Not happy. He insists on searching through all the "gubbins" (love that word) to cobble together the technoTreknobabble. Or at least get enough to protect everyone in the room. All five of them.

Thirty minutes to go. And PP enters the room to see that his boos can not only properly open both eyes at once, but also blink. I know right. This is amazing! And then we dip rapidly into skeevy territory when Frollo sounds more than a little aroused by the thought of shortly being able to control the world. And this is where I pause a moment to realise that Frollo is one of the most sexually dangerous people I've seen on Doctor Who.

Captain Jack Harkness will sleep with anything, but he seem to be of the one-night stand casual relationship sort. Doesn't really hurt either side. The Master will rape you, but you at least get the feeling that he'd enjoy it. Okay, this sounds really bad, but I'm not justifying sexually threatening behaviour here! Hear me out. But with Frollo, for all the pervy faces, rape threats and the awkward moments of arousal is clinical in his use of this type of behaviour.

He wouldn't rape you, he'd watch while someone else would, and he wouldn't really feel anything. He's only watching to make sure the job is done correctly because he knows that rape/sexual threats are bad, but doesn't seem to understand why.

And because of this he's really intimidating.

Cut to . . . London somewhere. Probably some of those places are famous, but I really don't know. Only been there once properly. These establishing shots . . . prove we're in London? Establish that it is dawn and dead. Even though it's London and London doesn't exactly sleep. And of course, we cut to the Captain and Miss Legs flirting in a window while they look at the view.

Bet you a guinea that they're going to see some Cybermen just before the scream out. After all, she did say it was "peaceful" and the Captain suddenly doubts the Doctor's ability to predict an alien invasion. Despite ALL THE EVIDENCE. Yup. Cybermen. Coming soon.

It's the calm before the storm! Of course they're going to see Cybermen, they're enjoying a London cityscape!

You all owe me a guinea. The CyberSignal starts pulsing, even though you can't hear radio signals and then - ohmyGodZoewhatareyouwearing?! It's a sparkly jumpsuit. Yay sixties. I mean what. And she can't even really pull it off with her hairstyle; she looks like someone kidnapped T'Pol and soaked her in glitter!

Oh, and the Doctor's afraid he's dropped his depolariser, but I'm slightly concerned because I think the catsuit is skin-tight. And I'm pretty sure she's younger than me, perhaps even as young as my little sister. She's barely sixteen.

Oh God. It is skintight.

Well.

Good thing she's most likely over sixteen then isn't it. Because that's really distracting and while I acknowledge that the Doctor's collapsed due the CyberSignal, I'm a bit busy watching spangly catsuits, and kind of hoping for a shot of her rear.

Perhaps realising that their audience isn't going to be paying attention to the invasion when there's a prettyish girl in a skintight spangly catsuit walking around we cut to Random Businessman. He collapses. And so do lots of other people. Or rather, they start to, and then begin to wake up . . . maybe; indicating that the invasion has begun.

If you hadn't already surmised.

Now, the Doctor's incapacitated on Zoe's lap (I'll leave the dirty jokes to you) and Miss Legs, being a consummately professional idiot laments "whatever is that noise?" Obviously, a goldfish has a far superior memory to her. Jamie and Cpt. Jimmy Turner run into the Room, Jamie immediately (and naturally) heading straight for the Doctor) and the Captai informs us that "hundreds" of Cybermen have begun emerging from the sewers.

The invasion has begun. AND THE NOISE NEVER STOPS. Yup, it continues until we fade to black in the credits.

Scream Out!

Preview Thoughts: No preview this time.

Best Moment: The 'take our word for it, this was a big battle' scene and just the ending. Even though London is suspiciously empty it's still effective in conveying it's sense of impending doom and danger. But the winner by far is the Professor's confrontation with Frollo in the Villain Office. Tense, dramatic, with several unnerving reveals.

Worst Moment: Miss Legs totally didn't understand what she was getting into when she ran off to photograph Cybermen.

Best Actor: Ehm, the usual suspects, but especially Frollo for just being so pervasively creepily sexual, and the Doctor for portraying calmness while suppressing an underlying anxiety.

Worst Actor: Zoe. She over-speaks some things, if that makes sense.

Best Special Effect: The CyberThings in general.

Worst Special Effect: Being CyberLazored to death.

Most Punchable Character: Miss Legs. Duh.

Death Count: Three, one onscreen, two offscreen.

Kink of the Episode: Sexy Alice Dress, sparkly skin tight catsuits and a platonic kink in sleepy!Jamie.

Thoughts so far?
    Well, after two hours and ten minutes or so of build-up, the invasion begins. And it's looking to be worth the wait too. I'm invested in both sides of the conflict, and while I think Miss Legs is thicker than two short planks of wood, her character development is still coming along nicely, and her romance with Cpt. Jimmy Turner is believable in its slow build.
    The Doctor does scientist racing against time very well, and Jamie although very underused is still adorable and amusing.
    That said, I am looking forward to some action now. Less dialogue to type.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dr. Si's New Who Recommendations

*snip*
    Hey, look at that, episodes I've seen. Now I can comment. Personally, Dalek is the episode from Season 1. Admittedly, I haven't re watched them much since they aired over here, but it's stuck with me. It's certainly the top Dalek-oriented episode from NuWho in my book. I think your other choices are solid episodes as well though.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Orc in the Playground

Good thing she's most likely over sixteen then isn't it. Because that's really distracting and while I acknowledge that the Doctor's collapsed due the CyberSignal, I'm a bit busy watching spangly catsuits, and kind of hoping for a shot of her rear.
    There ya go. That silver catsuit is kind of Zoe's signature outfit, crops up in a few stories. Can't think why...

16. - Top - End - #1456

There ya go. That silver catsuit is kind of Zoe's signature outfit, crops up in a few stories. Can't think why...
    Dat ass.
    She can't be more than sixteen, we're all going to prison.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Banned

Daemon

[Citation needed]
    I really feel I ought to give a more direct response than just "read DWM". So I will quote the magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Who Monthly

Although it is a bit too early to talk too specifically about the stories that are coming up, it's no secret the the autumn series will kick off with a Dalek Spectacular. What can you tell us about this Steven?

"There's every kind of Dalek in this one." he says "We are going to have the most Daleks we have had on screen ever- but they will be from every era quite deliberately. We're calling them in from everywhere!".....

"It was always my thought that all we would ever do with these big new ones was that they would just be an officer class. You remember how in planet of the Daleks, a chief dalek arrives at the end that is different to all th other ones? It's like that. Although this time there is every Dalek we have ever had. All of them! Even the Special Weapons Dalek! They will all be there!"
    Moffat goes on to hint that Jenna Louise Coleman will be "different" from every other companion as all companions are near identical "except for Donna and maybe Leela". He does not fully explain why but "you will notice".

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Orc in the Playground

Default Dr. Si's New Who Recommendations

Continuing my plan to post what I think to be the highlights of every season of Doctor Who, old and new.

For each series I choose 2 or 3 of what I consider to be the best stories, and a selection of also-rans. "Stories" may comprise any number of actual episodes (somewhere between 1-14, typically 4 or 6). Older Who is nearly always episodic, with NuWho most episodes are self-contained. Feel free to expand on my brief comments, agree, disagree etc. This is, after all, purely subjective.

Classic Who (Doctors One to Eight)

New Series (Doctors Nine to Eleven)

Ninth Doctor
    Spoiler
    Show

So just as Eccelstone's Doctor was growing on me, we get a new one. Tennant starts off okay in the role, but after a few season he gets a bit "eyes and teeth", and the running theme of everyone falling in love with him gets a bit much too. This season has some good spots, also some pretty dud episodes (particularly near the end), but ends quite strongly. The reason I didn't include Army of Ghosts/Doomsday is that those two episodes didn't leave much impact on me, oddly enough, despite being a generally good high-stakes story, although I did enjoy the exchange between cyberman and dalek - "Daleks have no concept of style" "That is evident". Oooh, burn! I've gone for more character-based stories than big set-pieces.

Series Two (2006)
    Tenth Doctor/Rose

The Girl In The Fireplace – Quite a sweet character piece for the Doctor, although it does kick off the “Everyone Loves the Doctor” theme that gets a bit cloying after a few seasons. Added fun for the technobabble explanation for a “magic door”.

Impossible Planet/Satan Pit – Definite shades of pretty much every horror/sci-fi movie there’s ever been, but it all makes for a very disturbing atmosphere, surprisingly high in horror notes for a family show. Also notable for the quiet moments, like the Doctor’s philosophical pondering whilst hanging in the dark.

Honourable Mentions
    School Reunion – The return of Sarah-Jane Smith and K9, in a very Buffy-esque episode (which the presence of Anthony Head only reinforces). Good fun, but the peril is quite slight. I think this is the episode that explicitly spells out that the new series shares continuity with the original series.

Rise Of The Cybermen/Age of Steel – Cybermen become dangerous again. This makes a good sequel to Father’s Day as well, in the Many Lives of Pete Tyler arc. Good, but doesn’t quite have the right mix of pathos, terror, humour and style that makes for a great Doctor adventure.
    Last edited by Dr. Simon; 2013-07-05 at 07:59 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1459

Default Re: Dr. Si's New Who Recommendations

Classic Who (Doctors One to Eight)

New Series (Doctors Nine to Eleven)

Ninth Doctor
    Spoiler
    Show

So just as Eccelstone's Doctor was growing on me, we get a new one. Tennant starts off okay in the role, but after a few season he gets a bit "eyes and teeth", and the running theme of everyone falling in love with him gets a bit much too. This season has some good spots, also some pretty dud episodes (particularly near the end), but ends quite strongly. The reason I didn't include Army of Ghosts/Doomsday is that those two episodes didn't leave much impact on me, oddly enough, although I did enjoy the exchange between cyberman and dalek - "Daleks have no concept of style" "That is evident". Oooh, burn! I've gone for more character-based stories that big set-pieces.

Series Two (2006)
    Tenth Doctor/Rose

The Girl In The Fireplace – Quite a sweet character piece for the Doctor, although it does kick off the “Everyone Loves the Doctor” theme that gets a bit cloying after a few seasons. Added fun for the technobabble explanation for a “magic door”.

Impossible Planet/Satan Pit – Definite shades of pretty much every horror/sci-fi movie there’s ever been, but it all makes for a very disturbing atmosphere, surprisingly high in horror notes for a family show. Also notable for the quiet moments, like the Doctor’s philosophical pondering whilst hanging in the dark.

Honourable Mentions
    School Reunion – The return of Sarah-Jane Smith and K9, in a very Buffy-esque episode (which the presence of Anthony Head only reinforces). Good fun, but the peril is quite slight. I think this is the episode that explicitly spells out that the new series shares continuity with the original series.

Rise Of The Cybermen/Age of Steel – Cybermen become dangerous again. This makes a good sequel to Father’s Day as well, in the Many Lives of Pete Tyler arc. Good, but doesn’t quite have the right mix of pathos, terror, humour and style that makes for a great Doctor adventure.
    While I normally tend to agree with you on this sort of thing, WHAT HERESY DO YOU COMMIT BY HONOURABLY MENTIONING THE CYBERMEN TWO-PARTER?! It's not very good really when 'Father's Day' did ROSE's daddy issues much better and then you watch 'The Invasion' and realise it's the same thing!
    Then again, that series also had some not-so-good episodes, so I'll delude myself into thinking that it only made Honourable Mention in comparison the other episodes. And that it was basically ripping off 'The Invasion' which you did really enjoy.

Yeah. Just had a look at the episode listings for season two . . . not-so-good at all. Or sometimes just average.
    'Fear Her' and 'Love and Monsters' were back-to-back oh God I forgot that.

And I think that from now on your best recommendations are going to involve Moffatt. I bet you could just write:
    The Moffatt Episode(s)
    It's a Moffatt episode.

And no one would disagree with you. At least until series five and onwards when he wrote a lot of stories.

Got a break before my last exam. Will try for a new review.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Orc in the Playground

LOL, yes I think a lot of the upcoming suggestions are Moffat episodes, come to think of it!

I watched the new episodes before going back to the old ones, so the Invasion rip-off didn't really occur to me, but it's true. Most of the new series recommendations are chosen by looking back through the season titles and picking out the ones that stuck with me. Those two did moreso than the finales for some reason. I think the best part for me - which I forgot to mention - is the character growth for Micky the Tin Dog. As you say, though, sometimes you have to go with slim pickings. Some of the later Tom Baker seasons, not to mention Colin Baker's tenure; quite hard to chose anything!

I was waiting until after the end of the month to sort out how we're going to do our collaborative review, BTW.

21. - Top - End - #1461

LOL, yes I think a lot of the upcoming suggestions are Moffat episodes, come to think of it!
    You could call it the Obligatory Moffat Episode!

I watched the new episodes before going back to the old ones, so the Invasion rip-off didn't really occur to me, but it's true. Most of the new series recommendations are chosen by looking back through the season titles and picking out the ones that stuck with me. Those two did moreso than the finales for some reason. I think the best part for me - which I forgot to mention - is the character growth for Micky the Tin Dog. As you say, though, sometimes you have to go with slim pickings. Some of the later Tom Baker seasons, not to mention Colin Baker's tenure; quite hard to chose anything!
    Well, it kind of helps that I'm (slooowly) watching 'The Invasion' and have a stupidly good memory for retaining useless facts or plots. I do think that your method of picking Bests for the new season is viable though, I mean, if you can't just look at an episode title and remember it pretty well it says something doesn't it?
    I did like Mickey's character development, I think he's one of the few characters that actually developed a character over the season. SEEING AS HOW NEITHER OF THE TWO MAIN CHARACTERS REALLY DEVELOPED AT ALL. Okay, that's being a little mean to Tennant, but he's kind of a three-note character. At least in this season.

I was waiting until after the end of the month to sort out how we're going to do our collaborative review, BTW.
    That works for me. I finish exams at half past twelve on Thursday, so after that I'm literally doing nothing at all.
    Except gloating at my friends and wasting their time.
    I'm classy like that.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2012-05-21 at 11:50 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Ettin in the Playground

I got a question for my fellow, and probably way more up to date, Whovians:

Does anyone know how the Cybus Industries and the Mondasian Cybermen relate to one another?

Did the Time War end up causing a retcon of the origins of the Cyberman in the main Who-verse with the events of the Cybus Industries Cybermen coming over from the Alternate Universe?

I ask because the Cybermen of the Twelfth Cyber Legion looked identical to the Cybus Industries Cyberman instead of the classic Mondasian Cybermen and in at least one case the Cybus Cyberman were recreated in the future and in several cases the Cybus Cybermen popped up throughout time and space when they escaped the Void following the Battle at Canary Wharf.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-05-25 at 12:45 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Brau View Post
    Does anyone know how the Cybus Industries and the Mondasian Cybermen relate to one another?
    They don't, but it was easier to re-use the Cybus Industries cyber-suits than to create new ones.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I ask because the Cybermen of the Twelfth Cyber Legion looked identical to the Cybus Industries Cyberman instead of the classic Mondasian Cybermen and in at least one case the Cybus Cyberman were recreated in the future and in several cases the Cybus Cybermen popped up throughout time and space when they escaped the Void following the Battle at Canary Wharf.
    If you're referring to the ones at the beginning of A Good Man Goes to War, they were actually not identical. They were missing the Cybus "C" logo on their chests IIRC.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    They don't, but it was easier to re-use the Cybus Industries cyber-suits than to create new ones.
    That would honestly just be laziness on the part of the show creators. The Cybus Industries Cybermen looked inherently different from their Mondasian counterparts and it'd be in poor tastes to just handwave it as saying "that's what they always looked like" when Daleks have remained more or less the same.

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    If you're referring to the ones at the beginning of A Good Man Goes to War, they were actually not identical. They were missing the Cybus "C" logo on their chests IIRC.
    That's why I said looked identical, not that they were. The Twelfth Cyber Legion, who were supposed to be Mondasian Cybermen, looked like Cybus Industry Cybermen. This honestly wouldn't be the first time that fallout from the Time War has altered the history of things.

26. - Top - End - #1466

That would honestly just be laziness on the part of the show creators. The Cybus Industries Cybermen looked inherently different from their Mondasian counterparts and it'd be in poor taste to just handwave it as saying "that's what they always looked like" when Daleks have remained more or less the same.
    Or, they had better things to spend their budget on.
    Also, I'm pretty sure the Mondasian Cybermen looked pretty noticeably different on many of the different occasions they appeared, so I don't see how another change is a problem. They updated the appearances of all the monsters they reused. How is it poor taste?
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Ettin in the Playground

pardon me for just dropping by...but I've lost track ..I've watched the last special (xmas, was it?).. and since then..silence

is there a schedule I should be aware of? has it started again? do we know when it will?
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

So the radio plays get awesome companions. For example, this week on Radio 4Extra a set of stories are being broadcast which have an alternate time line nazi scientist joining The Doctor(7th).

Also I believe we are rapidly encroaching upon the end of this thread, any ideas for the third thread's title? "Doctor Who III: Reversing The Positivity" perhaps
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2012-05-25 at 10:00 AM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Ettin in the Playground

Or, they had better things to spend their budget on.
    Also, I'm pretty sure the Mondasian Cybermen looked pretty noticeably different on many of the different occasions they appeared, so I don't see how another change is a problem. They updated the appearances of all the monsters they reused. How is it poor taste?
    It's a poor taste because the Cybus Industry Cyberman look radically different from all the minor variations found amongst the Mondasian Cybermen (excluding their first appearance but that was eventually explained) and as far I'm aware no other past enemy who was brought back had their appearance radically changed to such a degree. Yes, they were updated to look nicer, but they still had the basic feel and look of their older counterparts.

Now if it ends up being, or has been, explained that the Cybus Industry Cybermen either ended up becoming or influencing the Mondasian Cybermen and thus is another piece of fall out from the Time War, that'd make utter sense and be another nice addition to the expanding Who Lore.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    pardon me for just dropping by...but I've lost track ..I've watched the last special (xmas, was it?).. and since then..silence

is there a schedule I should be aware of? has it started again? do we know when it will?
    The next season has started shooting with a new companion but it won't be on the TV unti probably September
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem