New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Default The Order of the Tree

So I've read Order of the Stick for many years, and like most people (I assume!) I've had little fancomics running around in my head. I've decided to put this one to paper. The aim is to complete the little story (which should take about 100 strips).
    Obviously the OotS-iverse belongs to Rich Burlew, this is 100% non-profit fanfiction!

Updates Mondays

Latest Strip- #32

Spoiler
    Show

Archive

{table]{colsp=3}
    Main characters

Picture|Names (Left to Right)|Description
    |Oak and Fern|Oak is a hauty guy, the kind of person who likes to throw their weight around whether they're in the right or not. While he always believes he's right, he's not above making friends, and yearns to be accepted by 'normal' people. [div]Fern, on the other hand, has no interest in making friends. Socially crippled, she comes off as meek and stupid. But despite clinging to her brother Oak for support, she's the most confident and steadfast in their Druidic beliefs.[/div]
    |King and King|Big King comes off as a noble Paladin of Balder, the god of creativity. However, his tendency to gamble with the lives of others for glory (and amusement) suggests he's not entirely the beacon of light he sets himself up to be. [div]Little King is a dog.[/div]
    |Tonic and Forrest|Tonic is a chipper bard type. She prefers to believe there's good in everybody, and struggles to believe that people of an evil alignment actually exist (and aren't simply all misunderstood). The product of a rather liberal upbringing, Tonic has almost no respect for authority figures. [div]Forrest is a bacchae, a demon who lives to party and brawl. The Fiend Folio lists them as unsuitable as Player Characters, and Forrest lives up to that. He has no interest in adventuring, and more interest in drinking with his friends and antagonising the Kings.[/div]
    {colsp=3}
    Other characters

Picture|Names (Left to Right)|Description
    |Gina, Birdys and Ace|Gina is Tonic's friend. A sorceress of reasonable ability, she shares Tonic's lack of respect for those around her. Get them together and the two girls can chat and entertain each other all day. However, Gina has a bit more of a cruel streak than our bard, and relations with her sometimes brings out the worst in people. [div]Birdys is Forrest's bacchae friend. Like most bacchae, he was previously human, a farmer boy who escaped his dull life by joining a passing bacchae caravan. Unfortunately, his new life didn't bring the freedom he expected; he's stuck firmly under Forrest's thumb, living to do his "friend"'s bidding. [/div]Ace is an adventurer of substantial experience. His relationship with King is somewhat blurry, and certainly very long. Currently the two seem to act as anti-heroes to each other, in an ongoing game of one-upmanship.
    |Madame Carnival and Poppy Carnival|Madame Carnival is the sorceress mayor of the town of Carnival, where our story began. She enlisted the help of her old friend (and employee) King to help find her runaway daughter. [div]Poppy Carnival, the daughter in question, seemingly hates her mother, and has no intention of being found. The only other thing we know about her is that she attended a school for Sorcerers with Gina, where she failed spectacularly at casting even simple cantrips.[/div]
    [/table]

Nice Things

Please let me know what you think, obviously comments are very important!
    Last edited by Oppolo; 2012-02-20 at 06:55 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Order of the Tree

Spoiler the strips.

and the mouths are a little weird.
    Despite everything, its still me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Awesome, my post has finally appeared! I've finished off the second comic, I'll edit it into the original post. Don't worry, I won't be posting them all as images, but we might as well start off that way.

e: And a comment. I didn't realise that spoilering the comics was necessary, is it in the rules anywhere? I mean, I was going to spoiler them when the comic had more than a couple of strips, but is there any point when there's only a couple? People will just have to open the spoiler, and you have to load the image even if it's behind spoiler tags.

The mouths aren't exactly the same as in OotS, I prefer rounder mouths to U-shaped mouths. Hopefully in a few strips time I'll have got them down better.
    Last edited by Oppolo; 2011-08-28 at 02:37 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

I actually like your art style. Very...umm...libertine if I may put it that way. Looking forward to more strips !
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks! I have the next couple of strips ready, but I don't want to post them just now and then have a big gap before the next. I reckon I'll update every Tuesday, so I'll upload the next tomorrow. Does that sound good? :)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like it already, keep up the good work as I want to see more of them.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, Oak's expression in the 9th panel of the first page is just golden. I'm just going to have to steal that for whenever I need it. Very imaginative.

I'll agree with Bayar on enjoying the freer art style. It's very loose and playful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I like it, keep going...

and, um... pardon me saying this, but at first I confused Oak's angry faces for mustached faces...sorry?

>_< -> 0_0
    putting that aside, i like the ideas, and i'll keep reading on the lurk.
    I like the punch-lines! and the kings!
    *returns to the lurk from whence I came*
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2011-08-29 at 11:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    and, um... pardon me saying this, but at first I confused Oak's angry faces for mustached faces...

Haha! That's amazing, I'd not seen that. That made a little re-read look amazing, I especially appreciated when Fern grew a mustache from nowhere. Hopefully I'll be able to un-see it.

And don't worry about hiding in the Lurk, I've mostly hung around there for years.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oppolo View Post
    don't worry about hiding in the Lurk, I've mostly hung around there for years.
    +1, looking forward to whatever else you cook up!
    EDIT: *bookmarks*
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2011-08-29 at 12:18 PM.
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.

My Extended Signature

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks for the kind comments :)

I've put up issue #3 in the first post. Even though I intend to update every Tuesday, I'll stick up #4 before next Tuesday to help get the ball rolling and the story started.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Invisible pants on the last panel?

And it looks like we have another nice webcomic in the playground to follow around.
    Your friendly neighborhood A&C hobo.

Support local OotS webcomics! Read Tales of Revelia.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Saturn View Post
    They are of the highest fashion!
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

14. - Top - End - #14

I like it. I'll definitely be following this one. One question though, is "gilde" supposed to be "guild" in the 3rd comic?

I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful Neutral
    Halfling Wizard/Cleric
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

There are 10 types of people in this world:
    Those that know ternary,
    those that don't
    and those that thought this was a binary joke.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... I'm guessing that balder is the deity of honor/pride/glory, or somethin'.
    Also, why is fern suddenly shocked? Is it because she realizes King is a stuck-up worshipper of that deity? Or does King have fleas?

Guess we'll find out in the next few instalments of - "The order of the tree"!

Quote Originally Posted by KillItWithFire View Post
    One question though, is "gilde" supposed to be "guild" in the 3rd comic?
    I believe the spelling was intentional - nowhere in the rules does it explain Druids mastering grammar(common) - spoken or otherwise. But maybe your right.
    EDIT: the above statement Is dumb, I deny saying it. >_<
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2011-08-31 at 04:54 AM.

My Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

I believe the spelling was intentional - nowhere in the rules does it explain Druids mastering grammar(common) - spoken or otherwise. But maybe your right.
    EDIT: the above statement Is dumb, I deny saying it. >_<

Don't feel so dumb, that was kind of my intention. Gilde is Guild, it's just that Fern and Oak aren't nearly as clever as they think they are, they don't know the right word. Growing up in a forest doesn't lend itself to correct use of language.
    We'll learn a bit more about their illiteracy later.

Hmm... I'm guessing that balder is the deity of honor/pride/glory, or somethin'.
    Nope! In DnD, Balder is from the same pantheon as Thor and is the NG god of beauty. He created music and poetry, and is a favourite of Bards.
    The real Baldr, from norse mythology, doesn't match this description very well. But I'm going for the DnD version.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Saturn View Post

And it looks like we have another nice webcomic in the playground to follow around.
    Invisibility is not a Druid spell, Oak. I'll fix that.
    Last edited by Oppolo; 2011-08-31 at 05:47 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Nope! In DnD, Balder is from the same pantheon as Thor and is the NG god of beauty. He created music and poetry, and is a favourite of Bards.
    The real Baldr, from norse mythology, doesn't match this description very well. But I'm going for the DnD version.
    just goes to show "my ranks" in knowledge(religion)(0), a nat 2, and a -5 circumstance penalty for not knowing the subject, adding INT, I'd say I did a fine (-1) result...

My Extended Signature

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: The Order of the Tree

Norse Baldr was actually a god of beauty, if my research memory is correct, and one of elves and leadership. Believe he was derided from an earlier sun god.

But he had little to do with music and poetry indeed, that position belonged to Bragi (or Brage), the husband of Idun of the golden apples.

And now that I'm finished with that mytho-babble, Order of the Tree looks promising and I will surely follow. The art style is indeed a fun piece of originality and I hope the next comics will be fun too.

If they're not, then the Kobold empire wil crush yo-I mean, then that's no problem. Yeah. >_>
    <_<
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2011-09-02 at 12:19 AM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I am not certain where you're getting this information but even in Real Life he's part of the Norse religion and is the God of great Beauty, Light and Good.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    I am not certain where you're getting this information but even in Real Life he's part of the Norse religion and is the God of great Beauty, Light and Good.
    Yes, sorry, I knew he was part of the Norse religion but meant more the real Baldr is missing the poetry and music thing as Keveak said.
    I'm using him here as a god suitable for a festival city, the whole Good thing is kind of secondary in this case.

Edit: Here's a mid-week update, it's issue #0. That is, it comes before issue 1, it helps clear up the Gilde/Guild confusion. It also introduces Madame Carnival, who is utterly unimportant so don't feel the need to remember her.
    http://i.imgur.com/SVUVv.png
    Last edited by Oppolo; 2011-09-05 at 05:05 PM. Reason: replacing image with link

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Very original.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Very original.
    Thanks. I'm trying to create characters who aren't like those in the OotS, I don't think Oak and Fern are typical heroes. Hopefully people will keep reading, I don't think it's easy to keep readers after a point!

23. - Top - End - #23

It's like starting a small business. Except it's not (usually) a business for money, but for people's time and interest. This is something that becomes increasingly more difficult as our culture becomes more and more addicted to the computer/internet.

If anything, see if making a comic is something you can do for yourself. And it still have purpose even if the comic doesnt become too popular.

I hope this wasn't discouraging.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heck, I don't care about my comic being popular, I wouldn't be doing an OotS fancomic if I cared about that. It's pretty severely limiting my audience! But it'd be nice to have at least a couple of readers.

Also, it's almost Tuesday so I'm putting up the next comic. 'Cause I'll be out tomorrow and might not get a chance! #4 now in the op. Since not much happens, I'll upload #5 on Wednesday.

25. - Top - End - #25

awwww. I feel so sorry for Fern now. You have great expressions for your chars. They're really.... expressive.
    Last edited by KillItWithFire; 2011-09-05 at 08:28 PM.

I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful Neutral
    Halfling Wizard/Cleric
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

There are 10 types of people in this world:
    Those that know ternary,
    those that don't
    and those that thought this was a binary joke.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've stuck issue #5 in the op too. Unfortunately it'll be next Tuesday before #6 will be posted, it'll be relatively graphic heavy!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's Tuesday (Tuesday, gotta get down on Tuesday), so here's another comic.

Comic 6

It's in image-form in the op if you're too lazy to click the link. But you'll still have to click the spoiler tag anyway.

With the introduction of Ace, our cast is almost complete. I won't continue to introduce characters at a rate of 1 per strip forever, don't panic.

28. - Top - End - #28

Really? That's how I looked like this morning when I woke up.

There's seriously so much going on. It must have taken forever to draw #6.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

I presume Ace is the anti hero/antagonist? It looks like he pulled out a magic plant thing
    what just because im a warlock doesn't mean im evil..Im just chaotic good- Thomas Duskwind

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm liking this quite a bit! Looking forward to continuations.
    Credit for the awesome avvie goes to emporer Ing.

TO EVERYONE: My life has taken a turn for the busy, and I have more things on my plate than I expected. I WILL respond to EVERYTHING, but I need some extra time and patience. Thank you all, in advance. Giantitp folk tend to be understanding and I'm infinitely grateful.