New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Changing Type

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Changing Type

If I am a half-dragon and therefore have the Dragon type, but later gain enough levels in one of the various prestige classes that changes your type to outsider as its capstone. Do I lose my dragon traits such as immunity to paralysis and sleep, and do I no longer qualify for feats that have a requirement of the dragon type? Such as rapidstrike. Or can I continue to take them because I am both a Dragon and an outsider?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Changing Type

As per the srd
    Augmented Subtype
    A creature receives this subtype whenever something happens to change its original type. Some creatures (those with an inherited template) are born with this subtype; others acquire it when they take on an acquired template. The augmented subtype is always paired with the creature’s original type. A creature with the augmented subtype usually has the traits of its current type, but the features of its original type.
    Example: A Vampire Human would be Undead(Augmented Humanoid)

So, unless the mechanic of change says otherwise, you lose the traits of your initial type(distinct from the traits of your original race) and no longer qualify as a member of that type(so no more dragon feats).

However, depending on the change in question and the things that you would no longer qualify for, your DM might rule otherwise.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2015-12-12 at 02:12 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Changing Type

Yep, exactly. You aren't a dragon and an outsider, your just an outsider. You lose anything you get from the dragon type, and replace it with the benefits of being an Outsider.