New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] The Gunslinger's Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Honestly, you could just get a large musket and say it's a small artillery piece. It would be cheeper, more practical and actually in areas covered by the rules.
    That would be the easy way, but you're going back to 6.5 10 average damage instead of 21, and back to 40 feet range increment from 100.

Insofar as it not being covered by the rules, I'm going to go ahead and say that my interpretation is that the line 'As a two-handed firearm' is the operative phrase here, so you load and fire it as if it was a 2-handed weapon and ignore the siege engine rules, the -4 being the penalty you take for firing the thing like a rifle instead of keeping it on the ground and taking four full-round actions to aim and fire the thing.
    Last edited by Crasical; 2012-05-25 at 12:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crasical View Post
    'use Large weapons without penalty'.

Does this let them use siege firearms as 2handed firearms? "A Large or larger creature can use a siege firearm as a two-handed firearm", and the Tiefling isn't large sized, but acts as one in ways that are relevant in this scenario.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasical View Post
    I think trying to get the weight down below 3 or 400 pounds somehow is probably what I need to do. Giving it a fly speed just seems like a kludge.
    Honestly, you could just get a large musket and say it's a small artillery piece. It would be cheeper, more practical and actually in areas covered by the rules.
    See if you can get a ruling on using a Double Hackbut without the firing-mount.
    "A Large or larger creature can fire a double hackbut one size smaller than it is without its mounting as a normal two-handed weapon"
    So a Medium Creature that can wield large weapons without penalty (in other words "as if it were large"), using a "medium" Double Hackbut, as if the Creature were large, "should" let you use it as a normal 2-handed weapon, and without the "inappropriate size penalty" because you are still 'technically' a Medium creature firing a Medium gun.

Oh, and Brownies, DM's LOVE Brownies, it really helps to get rulings in your favor
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Funny thing for Eldritch Heritage users/multiclass gunslingers: Your initial bonded item is free (but is made of normal materials).

This means you could potentially get 1000-7300, dependent on campaign, worth of gun (Ammo is an issue though) out of the gate.
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2012-06-20 at 03:14 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

Surprised this thread has gone on this long without a mention of Roland Deschain, the titular character of Stephen King's The Gunslinger and the rest of the Dark Tower series.

Image:

Spoiler
    Show

I mean, the 3rd (and possibly the 1st) image in the guide are of Roland. I'll be starting play as a Gunslinger in a new campaign tomorrow, and I definitely based my character design around him.
    Last edited by Wonton; 2012-06-21 at 12:28 AM.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wonton View Post
    Surprised this thread has gone on this long without a mention of Roland Deschain, the titular character of Stephen King's The Gunslinger and the rest of the Dark Tower series.

Image:

I mean, the 3rd (and possibly the 1st) image in the guide are of Roland. I'll be starting play as a Gunslinger in a new campaign tomorrow, and I definitely based my character design around him.
    Meh...
    It's pretty much assumed that Roland=Gunslinger.
    And the build is also pretty much straight down the line:
    Good Dex, Good Wis, 20 levels of Gunslinger (Pistolero)
    Done.
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

6. - Top - End - #276

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Meh...
    It's pretty much assumed that Roland=Gunslinger.
    And the build is also pretty much straight down the line:
    Good Dex, Good Wis, 20 levels of Gunslinger (Pistolero)
    Done.
    Heh, I figured that there were 2 options - the series is more obscure than I thought OR it was so obvious no one bothered to mention it. Well, that's what I'm here for - pointing out the obvious.

For some reason, the 1st time I read Pistolero I thought "this isn't like Roland at all!" but in reality, it fits quite well. I guess I'll change that on my character sheet now.

And yeah, for stats I went with the order of Dex = Wis > Con > Str > Int > Cha. Seems to fit his character the best. Only level 2 for now, but hopefully I can find/craft some revolvers down the line (with sandalwood grips, of course).
    Last edited by Wonton; 2012-06-21 at 01:17 AM.

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

hey! no one of you have ever read the book: Ultimate Options: Grit and Gunslinger ???
    there are a lot of new deeds, new feats, options for using grit with non-firearm, alternate options for use grit with charisma or intelligence instead of wisdom, a new archetype: the fusilier, and few new items. it's a very interesting book for the gunslinger!

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halavar View Post
    hey! no one of you have ever read the book: Ultimate Options: Grit and Gunslinger ???
    there are a lot of new deeds, new feats, options for using grit with non-firearm, alternate options for use grit with charisma or intelligence instead of wisdom, a new archetype: the fusilier, and few new items. it's a very interesting book for the gunslinger!
    I'm not big on following 3rd party products or digging into the PF SRD for things I've never heard of, so no, I haven't.

As for when new updates should be expected, I finally garnered myself some gainful employment, though I'm in the process of moving so that I can work there, considering it's ~400 miles away from my current abode. I don't know how long it'll take me to settle into the new job and environment but I should have better internet among other things, so progress will probably be starting up again later in the summer. So I suppose that means I'll be starting up or finishing out almost exactly a year after I started doing the Handbook.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

9. - Top - End - #279

So has anyone figured out what the point of the Leaping Shot Deed is? Depending on how it's worded it's either:

a) A feat that allows you to full attack while moving with each attack being at full BAB. Which would be the most broken thing in existence, so more likely it's:

b) Shot on the Run with one less prerequisite which allows you to fire each gun once, but costs Grit and lands you prone.

I guess the latter is useful if you actually use two guns, but given the shenanigans that requires, I think most people just stick with 1 gun.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

So has anyone figured out what the point of the Leaping Shot Deed is? Depending on how it's worded it's either:

b) Shot on the Run with one less prerequisite which allows you to fire each gun once, but costs Grit and lands you prone.

I guess the latter is useful if you actually use two guns, but given the shenanigans that requires, I think most people just stick with 1 gun.
    As far as written use goes, B is correct (some debate on whether is it ONLY good for 2 guns, or if there is no limit if you can just get some extra arms...).

Leaping Shot requires 1 less feat, although you'll probably take that feat sooner or later anyway.

Leaping Shot also gives +2 on Acrobatics checks.

Leaping Shot is SO MUCH COOLER!!!!111!!! Than Shot on the Run. Just read the flavor description!!!!11!!!
    You leap through the air, guns blazing.
    SO AWESOMENESS!!!!1!!one!!!

Being Prone has no accuracy penalty for Firearm attacks you make, and gives you +4AC vs. ranged attacks.

*spoilered for space*
    I'm Prone, now what?
    Spoiler
    Show
    A 2 level dip in Rogue can get you either the Rogue Crawl talent and/or the Stand Up talent. The first lets you move while Prone (Leaping Shot while Prone the WHOLE TIME!), the second lets you stand up from Prone as a Free Action NOT provoking AoO's.

The Fast Crawl feat is the same as the Rogue Crawl Talent.

For a 1 level dip in either Fighter or Monk you can grab the Monkey Style feat which removes the Melee penalties for being prone.
    And lets you move/stand up without provoking AoO's. It also opens access to the Monkey Moves feat, which is basically the Fast Crawl feat again.

Leaping Shot also has much more hilarity potential than Shot on the Run does.
    Take 2 levels of Rogue for the Stand Up talent (stand up as a Free action, no AoOs), and you can Leaping Shot. Then next turn, stand up and Leaping Shot again. Repeat.
    Congrats! You are now belly-flopping across the battlefield!
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

11. - Top - End - #281

While we're on the Topic of using two guns, did Paizo really make pistols and revolvers one-handed and not light weapons so that even with TWF we still have to suffer -4/-4 penalties for using them?
    Last edited by Wonton; 2012-07-09 at 09:01 PM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

While we're on the Topic of using two guns, did Paizo really make pistols and revolvers one-handed and not light weapons so that even with TWF we still have to suffer -4/-4 penalties for using them?
    Well, they didn't NOT make them Light...

Technically Guns/pistols are classified as "ranged" weapons, and so cannot be considered 'light'.

The 4 major classifications are Light, 1-Handed, 2-Handed, and Ranged.

This leads to some nice bit of rules confusion.
    "Light" weapons are NOT 1-Handed, even though they are wielded with 1 hand.
    Although a Light Crossbow is called a Light Crossbow, it is, in fact, NOT Light.

On the bright side, at least Pistols/Guns can target Touch AC, so the extra hit to accuracy doesn't hurt as bad as it should.
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

13. - Top - End - #283

Given that the rules are kind of confusing, I'm going to say this is one of those common sense rulings, and my common sense tells me that guns should be able to be dual-wielded with only the minimal TWF penalties.

On the bright side, at least Pistols/Guns can target Touch AC, so the extra hit to accuracy doesn't hurt as bad as it should.
    The way I see it, the trade off between bows and firearms is that you're penalized in range but instead get to target touch AC. If the two groups of weapons are supposed to be balanced, all other attack/damage modifiers (TWF, Deadly Aim) should be the same.
    Last edited by Wonton; 2012-07-09 at 09:09 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

If the two groups of weapons are supposed to be balanced, all other attack/damage modifiers (TWF, Deadly Aim) should be the same.
    Agreed, but when was the last time you used TWF with a Bow?

The problem is that there isn't really a precedent for TWF w/Ranged-only weapons (we are ignoring Thrown weapons for now, as they can usually be used as Melee as well).

(Most) Ranged-only weapons need 2 hands to properly function. Sure, some can be fired 1-handed, but reloading is almost always a 2 hand job.

And 4-armed characters are not really all that common....
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

15. - Top - End - #285

Agreed, but when was the last time you used TWF with a Bow?

The problem is that there isn't really a precedent for TWF w/Ranged-only weapons (we are ignoring Thrown weapons for now, as they can usually be used as Melee as well).

(Most) Ranged-only weapons need 2 hands to properly function. Sure, some can be fired 1-handed, but reloading is almost always a 2 hand job.

And 4-armed characters are not really all that common....
    Fair enough. Since there is no precedent and it would not be terribly imbalanced for someone to TWF with pistols, I'm just going to Rule of Cool it to be -2/-2. Same deal for 1-handed free action reloads - it's not RAW but I don't think anyone's gonna have a huge problem with it.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Fair enough. Since there is no precedent and it would not be terribly imbalanced for someone to TWF with pistols, I'm just going to Rule of Cool it to be -2/-2. Same deal for 1-handed free action reloads - it's not RAW but I don't think anyone's gonna have a huge problem with it.
    Hand crossbows specify that you TWF with them as light weapons, so I would say that pistols and firearms of similar weight would fall under similar rules, considering the Pale Stranger wields its pistols as light weapons, penalty-wise.

The 1 handed reload was possible in the Playtest, as I made mention when I wrote that handbook, but the loophole was filled when UC came out, so you have to shenanigans your way to it unless your DM handwaves it or you become a Pale Stranger yourself for magic reloads (that actually bugs me quite a bit how the Pale Stranger just handwaves the entire matter with magic. ).
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

Pale Stranger has the problem the 3.5 Balor had, its magic weapon is listed as a supernatural ability. The text says the pistols themselves have the ability (notice the line further down where it says the dealing damage as magic IS part of the monster). Because of this, you could use them if you kill it and loot them Shame they don't have a cost listed and aren't actually magic weapons...

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Pale Stranger has the problem the 3.5 Balor had, its magic weapon is listed as a supernatural ability. The text says the pistols themselves have the ability (notice the line further down where it says the dealing damage as magic IS part of the monster). Because of this, you could use them if you kill it and loot them Shame they don't have a cost listed and aren't actually magic weapons...
    You sure? Their ability says that any pistol they pick up has these abilities, so it would seem that, provided they have a pistol, their mojo would power them.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

19. - Top - End - #289
    Bugbear in the Playground

.... That is a nifty monster. Damn. Our Round-table DM PF game is still at level 5, so I can't even have one show up yet. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Here's a compilation of what races are getting out of the recently released and delicious Advanced Race Guide. (:

Favored Class Options
    Dwarves - Reduce the misfire chance for one type of firearm by 1/4. You cannot reduce the misfire chance of a firearm below 1.
    Elves, Goblins - Add +1/3 on critical hit confirmation rolls made with firearms (maximum bonus of +5). This bonus does not stack with Critical Focus.
    Gnomes - The gunslinger reduces the amount of time needed to restore a broken firearm using the Gunsmithing feat by 5 minutes (maximum reduction of 50 minutes).
    Half-elves, Humans, Hobgoblin - Add +1/4 to the number of grit points in the gunslinger's grit pool.
    Half-orcs - Add a +1/3 bonus on attack rolls when using the pistol whip deed.
    Halflings - Add +1/4 to the doge bonus to AC granted by the nimble class feature (maximum +2) or +1/4 to the AC bonus gained when using the gunslinger's dodge deed.
    Ifrit - Add +1/2 to the bonus on initiative checks the gunslinger makes while using her gunslinger initiative deed.
    Kobold - Add +1/4 to the doge bonus to AC granted by the nimble class feature (maximum +4).
    Ratfolks - Add a +1/2 bonus on initiative checks when the gunslinger has at least 1 grit point.
    Grippli - Add a +1/4 bonus on attack rolls when making a utility shot or a dead shot.

Archetypes
    Gnome - Experimental Gunsmith - Imbue your firearm with a number of alchemical and/or gadget options.
    Human - Buccaneer - You're a pirate who can get bonus grit (kind of) by getting drunk. What more do you want? You even get a familiar/ship's pet.
    Kobold - Bushwhacker - You specialize in ambushes and get your own version of sneak attack for firearms that stacks with regular sneak attack.
    Ratfolk - Gulch gunner - Point-blank all out attacks with your firearm are your strength.

21. - Top - End - #291

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash3906 View Post
    Here's a compilation of what races are getting out of the recently released and delicious Advanced Race Guide. (:

Favored Class Options
    Dwarves - Reduce the misfire chance for one type of firearm by 1/4. You cannot reduce the misfire chance of a firearm below 1.
    What? 1/4? So, 25%? Unless we're somehow ignoring the rules for rounding down, that will almost always (unless you're using a Fire Lance or a weapon that's already misfired) mean a reduction of 0. If there's a "minimum 1" clause though, that's pretty good. That means Dwarves could use paper cartridges without penalty.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

What? 1/4? So, 25%? Unless we're somehow ignoring the rules for rounding down, that will almost always (unless you're using a Fire Lance or a weapon that's already misfired) mean a reduction of 0. If there's a "minimum 1" clause though, that's pretty good. That means Dwarves could use paper cartridges without penalty.
    It means that if you take that option for 4 levels, the misfire will go down with one.
    Same concept as with Half-Elves and Eidolon Evolution.
    Edit: And there will always be a misfire of 1.
    Last edited by Andvare; 2012-07-14 at 07:09 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293

Quote Originally Posted by Andvare View Post
    It means that if you take that option for 4 levels, the misfire will go down with one.
    Same concept as with Half-Elves and Eidolon Evolution.
    Edit: And there will always be a misfire of 1.
    Ah, that's pretty good then. So the Dwarven Musket Master that is loading paper cartridges into his musket is down to 1-2 by 4th level and just 1 by 8th level.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, that's pretty good then. So the Dwarven Musket Master that is loading paper cartridges into his musket is down to 1-2 by 4th level and just 1 by 8th level.
    It'd certainly save you from having to upgrade your musket/blunderbuss to better than Reliable, unless you want to dabble in other alchemic cartridges.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

25. - Top - End - #295
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Firstly, thank you very much for your hardwork with this guide/handbook. It is very much appreciated.

I am currently building a character for an existing Kingmaker campaign. I am allowed one Kingmaker background trait and one anything else trait. My current thoughts are Issian and Reactionary.

I am intending on making a seventh level Gripplis Musket Master. Grippli on PSRD Besides one of the most awesome pictures in the Advanced Race Guide, the stat adjustments seem perfect for a Gunslinger. And the immagery of this lil' guy and a musket....SWEET!

I am replacing Swamp stride with Gliding.

I am very much considering using the gunslinger favored class option for the 1/4 bonus to dead shot. Is this a trap? Would it be better to use HP or Skill points?

It will be a twenty point buy, the character will be soon leveling ( dm just levels group at appropriate times).

Any advice would be appreciated. Party consists of Inquisitor switch hitter , cleric erastil, Fighter (very melee), and a couple of leadership cohort mages.

Greg
    Last edited by wasgreg; 2012-08-05 at 07:12 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

The favored class bonus depends on your feats

Note that Toughness is one feat and it has duplicated the HP option (though it stacks with it). Weapon Focus is one feat and it duplicates 4 levels of the bonus, but does it for everything and qualifies for better feats (most of which you can't qualify for without Fighter levels)

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

If Gunslingers have problems, being able to hit their target generally isn't one of them. I think you could probably do more with the normal favored class bonus than with the Grippli specific bonus, especially given Utility Shot doesn't really need the boost and it takes a while for Dead Shot to come online. You may get some good use out of Dead Shot as a Musket Master, though, and the Grippli Bonus covers Deadly Aim's penalty, so if you have Deadly Aim (which I strongly recommend), then it wouldn't be a waste. I personally think you could get more out of bonus skill points but then I like injecting skill monkey into all of my builds.

Also, you're welcome. I'm hoping to get back to writing this week, though it won't include the ARG for some time (haven't found a good nerd shop in my new area for my gaming needs yet. )
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

28. - Top - End - #298
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Thanks for responces folks!

Feats I was thinking of taking...

Point blank shot (kind of a must)
    dodge
    weapon focus (musket)
    deadly aim
    precise shot

as levels and bonuses come along..... (bonus 8) mobility (9) deft shootist

But I am not "glued" to the deft shootist path if another path is more advisable.

Very glad that rapid reload is a freebie.

For a class that gets so many neat features... I find myself greedily eyeballing so many feat paths. I can see why most folk I have seen play human gunslingers. But darnit! Gripplis are too cute!

Also, Musket master loses utility shot..so the bonus for gripplis gunslinger would ONLY apply for dead shot. As for skills, it is a toss up. DM likes lots of skill rolls.. so I was approaching build with a 12 int and 5 skill points/lvl.

My previous was a rogue, that was very useful ( until he got digested :P ). Group lost ranger(archer) she moved as husband relocated at nearly same time.

Equipment is limited to 23,000gp with no more than 8600 on any one item.

Greg

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd actually aim at Snap Shot chain, which is one of the reasons to go for Weapon Focus on a Gunslinger and a good one at that, especially with Combat Reflexes, which does work well with Deft Shootist. To get it all online you may want to dip either Monk or Fighter, which'll make up for not having the Human bonus feat and, if you go Monk, you can get that much more utility out of your Wis mod. Rapid Shot once you have Fast Musket can seriously pump your damage as well.

As for your equipment, +1 Musket with, if you can slide your max gp value a slight bit due to base weapon cost compared to everybody else and the fact that your musket is free, I'd make it Reliable to overcome Paper Cartridge and Musket misfire chance. Alternatively, Lucky can work out well for getting you both insurance against misfires and a point of Grit for keeping your passive Deeds and one more Dead Shot.
    Also consider a Belt of Dexterity, a masterwork melee weapon if you don't go Monk or Deft Shootist, +1 Mithril Shirt, +1 Buckler and magic ammo, like +1 energy or Bane or even Holy bullets for pumping out extra damage on Dead Shots, if you just need that extra oomph or if you need to be mobile and still a threat.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

30. - Top - End - #300

Personally, I don't see why Deft Shootist is even required. Most of the time you can just 5 foot step away and full attack. If that's not an option, you can use Acrobatics to tumble away with a high probability of success. Sure, you'll miss out on your 2nd attack but IMO it's better than having to burn 3 feats.

----

Completely unrelated but, Cieyrin, why do you value Hammer the Gap so much? Even an 11th-level Gunslinger with Haste will only get 6 damage if he hits every shot. Aside from some edge-case build where a level 16 slinger is shooting 2 Speed revolvers with Rapid Shot (which would be +45 over 10 attacks), it doesn't seem worthy of "light blue" quality.
    Last edited by Wonton; 2012-08-06 at 12:57 AM.