New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: [PF] The Gunslinger's Handbook

Well, Paths of Prestige has hit, and there are 2 PrC's worth mentioning here.

Shieldmarshal requires Gunsmithing, Firearms Profs, and a Grit pool to enter, so it's pretty safe to say it was intended for Gunslingers.
    It gains Judgement abilities (similar to Inquisitor).
    2nd level grants an Initiative Bonus and you can always act in the Surprise Round.
    Levels also count towards 1/2 for the purpose of learning Gunslinger Deeds.
    Also gains various 'Ranger' type abilities like Favored Terrain and Quarry.

All in all, a decent alternative to straight Gunslinger.

The other PrC wouldn't normally jump out as being useful for a Gunslinger.
    And for the most part, it isn't.
    Talking about the Pit Fighter.
    It's geared towards Performance Combat, and one of the entry requirements is "Orc ferocity racial trait or the rage class feature".
    BUT, at level 1 it gets the "Poor Equipment" ability:
    At 1st level, a pit fighter can spend a swift action to ignore the broken condition of a single weapon or piece of armor he wields or wears for the remainder of the encounter. The selected weapon or piece of armor is treated in all ways as though it did not have the broken condition, though its hit points remain unchanged.
    Hmmm...What were the rules for Misfires again?
    When a firearm misfires, it gains the broken condition. While it has the broken condition, it suffers the normal disadvantages that broken weapons do, and its misfire value increases...If an early firearm with the broken condition misfires again, it explodes.

Granted, you'll either have to be Half-Orc, or dip Barbarian, but still potentially quite handy, ESPECIALLY for Mysterious Strangers.
    If Urban Barbarian's Controlled Rage counts as "rage" than that is probably the best choice, as you can use it to enhance your DEX instead of STR/CON.
    Last edited by grarrrg; 2012-09-10 at 04:57 PM.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

I do not see Clustered Shots in the feat section. Yet, it is amazing, potentially on par or better than Dead Shot for overcoming DR, since you do not lose on per shot bonus damage.

Also, Snap Shot is mentioned in the Combat Patrol evaluation, but not actually listed and graded by itself.
    Last edited by Raven777; 2012-10-08 at 01:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    I do not see Clustered Shots in the feat section. Yet, it is amazing, potentially on par or better than Dead Shot for overcoming DR, since you do not lose on per shot bonus damage.

Also, Snap Shot is mentioned in the Combat Patrol evaluation, but not actually listed and graded by itself.
    The Feat section was a bit bigger than I originally estimated and oozed into the next section, where all the Ultimate Combat feats are currently residing. When I get back to this, I'll see what I can do to shuffle things around. Probably eliminate a lot of the red feats, for they're not telling anyone anything useful, mostly b/c they're non-applicable.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

4. - Top - End - #334

Are you going to finish this off?

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thattaman View Post
    Are you going to finish this off?
    Actually, yes. As an effort for National Novel Writing Month, I'm going to attempt to put in an hour (at least) a day into getting this thing finally done. Expect updates sooner than later. I just...need to review my notes, revise and write...
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

6. - Top - End - #336

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Actually, yes. As an effort for National Novel Writing Month, I'm going to attempt to put in an hour (at least) a day into getting this thing finally done. Expect updates sooner than later. I just...need to review my notes, revise and write...
    Thanks, the reason I wanted to know is that, along with me now playing a gunslinger character, I'm making handbooks for some of the other classes and I was using yours as a template.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Pixie in the Playground

Can we expect magic items and gear in the next update, or are there other things you're focusing on? What I'm trying to ask, what can we expect to see in the next update?

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wormyxl View Post
    Can we expect magic items and gear in the next update, or are there other things you're focusing on? What I'm trying to ask, what can we expect to see in the next update?
    When I get back to this (time, where are you?!?), equipment will be coming after I finish the last bits of the feat section, just like the table of contents dictates, at least that is the master plan. Following it, now that's the hard part.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

9. - Top - End - #339
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat...perate-battler

This feat should equate to an always-on +1 Atk/Dmg for a lot of Gunslingers. Unless you've got a Bard in your party, in which case you should already have a pretty consistent Morale Bonus going on.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash3906 View Post
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat...perate-battler

This feat should equate to an always-on +1 Atk/Dmg for a lot of Gunslingers. Unless you've got a Bard in your party, in which case you should already have a pretty consistent Morale Bonus going on.
    Not so much:
    "...gain a +1 morale bonus on melee attack and damage rolls."
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

11. - Top - End - #341
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Not so much:
    "...gain a +1 morale bonus on melee attack and damage rolls."
    ...well I feel stupid. Disregard. -__-

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash3906 View Post
    ...well I feel stupid. Disregard. -__-
    Don't feel stupid.
    We all do it.
    Miss one word, and you look like a moron.
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Guns Akimbo
    -snip-
    It is SOUNDS like the varana's prehensile tail would help, but by raw it doesn't seem to. Graaaag, can you clarify?
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2013-01-12 at 07:45 PM.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    It is SOUNDS like the varana's prehensile tail would help, but by raw it doesn't seem to. Graaaag, can you clarify?
    Who?

The trick with Prehensile Tails/Beards/Tentacles/etc.... is that you Free Action move the empty weapon to the Tail/Beards/etc... then use your empty hand to Reload the weapon, and then Free Action switch it back to the hand.

Basically the Tail/Beard/etc... can HOLD something, it just cannot do the actual "reloading".
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Who?

The trick with Prehensile Tails/Beards/Tentacles/etc.... is that you Free Action move the empty weapon to the Tail/Beards/etc... then use your empty hand to Reload the weapon, and then Free Action switch it back to the hand.

Basically the Tail/Beard/etc... can HOLD something, it just cannot do the actual "reloading".
    Makes sense to me. *Proceed to roll up hitman monkey.*
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

16. - Top - End - #346
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Re: Gundolon, I'm reading the Synthesist archetype, under "Fused Eidolon," and this bit sticks out: "The synthesist uses the eidolon’s base attack bonus..."

Apologies if it has already been pointed out, as I haven't read the whole thread, but doesn't that mean any BAB that the summoner might gain from multi-classing doesn't help while in fused form?

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HugeC View Post
    Re: Gundolon, I'm reading the Synthesist archetype, under "Fused Eidolon," and this bit sticks out: "The synthesist uses the eidolon’s base attack bonus..."

Apologies if it has already been pointed out, as I haven't read the whole thread, but doesn't that mean any BAB that the summoner might gain from multi-classing doesn't help while in fused form?
    It was FAQ'd so that that only applies to the Summoner's class levels, not the other class levels, like from Gunslinger.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

18. - Top - End - #348
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It was FAQ'd so that that only applies to the Summoner's class levels, not the other class levels, like from Gunslinger.
    Ah, very good, thanks!

19. - Top - End - #349
    Pixie in the Playground

Note: I'm only covering Core, APG and UC for feats and traits. I made mention of PSU races but I won't be covering that book any further, as I don't own the book and trolling through the SRD gets annoying fast. If you play a psionic race, I'm sure you can pick out for yourself what's good or not.
    In that case, let me list a few for you that might be worth really keeping in mind. Unless otherwise noted, these are all Psionic feats, which means you need to have power points (i.e. have a psionic class or be a psionic race).

From Psionics Unleashed:

Speed of Thought: While psionically focused, your movement increases by +10 in light or medium armor. Expend your focus to boost this up to +30 for one turn; requires Wis 13.
    Beats Fleet any day.

Psionic Shot: While psionically focuses, your ranged attacks deal an extra 1 damage. Expend your focus as part of the attack to get an extra 2d6; requires Point Blank Shot.
    If you're a psionic race, very easy to qualify for since you're going to want PBS as a gunslinger anyway.

Greater Psionic Shot: As above, though it replaces the 1 damage for 2 and the 2d6 with 4d6; requires Psionic Shot and BAB +6.
    More of the same, but better. May or may not be worth the feat.

Up the Walls: You can move on vertical surfaces as if they were horizontal surfaces so long as you end your movement on a horizontal surface, which means you can charge along them as well. Expend psionic focus to allow you to keep the benefits until the end of your next turn; requires Wis 13.
    This is great. Want to get up that tree in a hurry? Just run up the side. Run up to the ceiling, expend your focus to stay there, then shoot from above. If that doesn't count as a "Daring Deed", I don't know what does. :D

Sidestep Charge: Get a +4 AC bonus against charging opponents and if they miss, you get to make an AoO against them; requires Dex 13 and Dodge. This is not a psionic feat.
    Great for long-range gunslingers, since it helps you avoid guys that try to rush you. Since it's not a psionic feat, pretty much any gunslinger will qualify so long as they grab Dodge.

Psionic Meditation: Reduce the time it takes to become psionically focused from a full round to a single move action; requires Wis 13 and 4 ranks in Autohypnosis.
    If you plan to expend your psionic focus a lot, you'll want this. Gunslingers (except perhaps Mysterious Strangers) will easily meet the stat requirement, and the skill requirement isn't too bad.

From Psionics Expanded:

Empowered Shot: As long as you keep psionic focus, you double the range increment for all your ranged weapons. Expend psionic focus to ignore any penalties for range increments; requires PBS.
    DOUBLE the range where you can get Penetration? Reach out and touch somebody's touch AC at 80 feet with a musket? THIS is how you snipe!

Hawkeye: +2 on Perception (always good) and the range of precision-based damage, like Sneak Attack and PBS, are increased by 15 feet. If you have 10 ranks in Perception, the bonuses increase to +4 and an extra 30 feet; requires PBS and Far Shot. Not a psionic feat.
    I can see this being awesome for a Gunslinger/Rogue combo. Combine it with Empower Shot and at level 10 you'll be sneak attacking people 60 feet away against their touch AC. Like a boss.

Intimidating Shot: As long as you keep psionic focus, you can take a standard action to attack a target. If the attack hits, you get to make a Intimidate check to demoralize them in addition to the regular effects of the attack; requires PBS.
    Useful for Inquisitor builds or people that just like Intimidate, I suppose. Kinda stinks that it requires a standard action. Still, better than Startling Shot against single targets.

Staggering Shot: Maintain focus to take a standard action and attack a target. If you hit, you get to deal damage as normal and the target is staggered until your next turn unless it makes a Fort save (DC 10 + ½ character level + Wis modifier) to negate; requires PBS, Intimidating Shot, BAB +6.

Psionic Critical: Get an extra +1d8 damage when you crit if you maintain psionic focus, and expend the focus to get an additional +1d8 damage; requires Imp. Critical.
    This one's OK, I guess. It might help to ensure the guy you crit dies.

Psionic Disarm/Sunder/Trip: If you can made combat maneuvers at range, these let you deal damage equal to ½ your level to the creature affected by you so long as your maintain psionic focus. Expending focus lets you do stuff like ignore half the item's hardness to fling the disarmed weapon far away. Prerequisites can be a bit feat harsh for Sunder and Trip, though.

Ready Response: Expend psionic focus to act in a surprise round if you would otherwise not be able to act. If you do move normally in a surprise round, expending your focus lets you make a full-round action.
    No prerequisites on this one besides it being a psionic feat. It's a great feat to ensure you aren't caught with your pants down, and if you aren't surprised in the round you can get yourself into a good position before anyone else.

The Psionics Expanded also includes two gun archtypes: the Grammaton (for the Cryptic) and the Kaigun (for the Marksman).
    I haven't read much into the Marksman, but the Kaigun archtype looks underwhelming.
    Last edited by Xeno426; 2015-03-16 at 04:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Halfling in the Playground

Hey guys, kinda new to the forums but I was hoping someone can help me out with my gunslinger
    Level 8 Custom Elf(+2 Dex +2 Wis as stats)
    here's my current feats. Character hasn't been set in stone so these can be changed:
    Point Blank Shot
    Precise Shot
    Deadly Aim
    Improved Critical(2H Firearm)
    Rapid Reload(2h Firearm)
    Dodge

I'd like to get Deft Shootist, but I'm figuring I may have to hold off on that and just let my group cover me from AoO's for the moment
    I didn't care for the archtypes so I wanted to go a standard gunslinger to get used to the class. I may branch into Sniper(rogue) eventually however

21. - Top - End - #351
    Pixie in the Playground

Some more stuff from the Expanded Psionics books I missed.

Intuitive Shot: While maintaining focus, you can make a ranged attack as a standard action and add your Wisdom modifier to the damage roll. Target must be within 30 feet and doesn't work on creatures immune to critical damage; requires WIS 13, PBS and Psionic Shot.
    The 30 foot range limit hurts, but it does key off an ability that gunslingers are likely to have a fairly good value in. The standard action limit is rather annoying, though.

Greater Intuitive Shot: You can expend your psionic focus as part of a full attack with a ranged or thrown weapon to add your Wisdom modifier to the damage of each attack. Targets must be within 30 feet and doesn't work on creatures immune to critical hits; requires BAB +6, PBS, Intuitive Shot, Psionic Shot.
    Unless you can reload as a free action, not worth it. If you can, and you have a decent Wisdom modifier, it's pretty good.

Knockdown Shot: By expending your psionic focus, you make a single ranged attack as a standard action. If it hits, the target has to make a DC (10 + ½ character level + WIS modifier) or be knocked prone; requires PBS.
    This is probably a good feat for a sniper, since there's no range limitation on it. The standard action required means it doesn't work with Deadshot, though.

Psionic Precise Shot: Expending psionic focus lets you make a single ranged attack at a target that is behind a wall, force effect, or similar barrier. You still need line of sight to the target; requires DEX 19, PBS, Precise Shot, Improved Precise Shot, BAB +11.
    Well, it's cheaper than buying tons of Brilliant Energy bullets.

There's several new traits added in this book, but for Gunslingers there's on in particular that might prove useful. It's part of the Psionic Traits category.

Perceptive Talent: Grants a +1 trait bonus to Sense Motive and Initiative while psionically focused.
    Last edited by Xeno426; 2013-02-16 at 04:55 AM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Pixie in the Playground

I know no ones posted in a while, but I found recently something that's fun for at least musket master, is a dip for 1 or 2 levels into urban barbarian is pretty cool, none of the slobbering drool and screaming, you get to keep all your mental facility's and you can toss those lovly moral bonus onto dex, or split it in groups of two on to other stats,

My self I advise waiting till level 6 or 7 before taking it so you have your dex to damage,

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by caddmus View Post
    I know no ones posted in a while, but I found recently something that's fun for at least musket master, is a dip for 1 or 2 levels into urban barbarian is pretty cool, none of the slobbering drool and screaming, you get to keep all your mental facility's and you can toss those lovly moral bonus onto dex, or split it in groups of two on to other stats,

My self I advise waiting till level 6 or 7 before taking it so you have your dex to damage,
    That's fun for anyone who isn't a Mysterious Stranger, really.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

24. - Top - End - #354
    Pixie in the Playground

That's fun for anyone who isn't a Mysterious Stranger, really.
    by what ever do you mean? its easy to be mysterious, you just don't leave survivors,

But true, its mostly for the other types, I love it with my musketmaster,

25. - Top - End - #355
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quick rules clarification. In the deed section for bleeding wound you advised taking grit reduction for the deed, which seems sensible, with the added clarification that bleed stacks with itself. i am having trouble sourcing this, as in the Pathfinder reference document glossary, under conditions i found the following in the bleed entry:

"Bleed effects do not stack with each other unless they deal different kinds of damage"

now i realize that the bleed effects might mean this only applies to ability damage (still relevent to the deed) but seeing no ruling one way or another on tradition bleed damage i worry that this should be interpreted as it not stacking. sorry for the trouble i know you are busy, perhaps one of the other quite active and resourceful poster's will be able to help me out of this confusion?
    (on a side note, you also said that the damage from UCaD deed for pistolero was greater than bleeding, but if you consider damage over time (not i know a traditional aproach in pathfinder) it seems the bleed (assuming a dex of at least 6) will be far nastier in just two rounds, and disgustingly so over multiple rounds, especially if it stacks)

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JazFireforge View Post
    Quick rules clarification. In the deed section for bleeding wound you advised taking grit reduction for the deed, which seems sensible, with the added clarification that bleed stacks with itself. i am having trouble sourcing this, as in the Pathfinder reference document glossary, under conditions i found the following in the bleed entry:

"Bleed effects do not stack with each other unless they deal different kinds of damage"
    That entry in the guide was likely written before PF clarified that bleeding damage doesn't stack.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    That entry in the guide was likely written before PF clarified that bleeding damage doesn't stack.
    Yeah, I probably missed that FAQ at the time, if it was available then.

@Jaz: Not sure where I compared Up Close and Deadly to Bleeding Wound, though. I compared it to Focused Aim, the other damage booster at 1st level, was that what you're thinking of?
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

28. - Top - End - #358
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Yeah, I probably missed that FAQ at the time, if it was available then.

@Jaz: Not sure where I compared Up Close and Deadly to Bleeding Wound, though. I compared it to Focused Aim, the other damage booster at 1st level, was that what you're thinking of?
    Must have been that, thanks for the clarification and the guide in general ^^ certainly not going to signature deed bleeding wound now ^^; probably going with up close. Though dead eye for a called shot build is tempting.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JazFireforge View Post
    Must have been that, thanks for the clarification and the guide in general ^^ certainly not going to signature deed bleeding wound now ^^; probably going with up close. Though dead eye for a called shot build is tempting.
    I wouldn't say Bleeding Wound isn't a bad Signature Deed, though Up Close and Deadly is a must for a Pistolero. While it may not stack bleed, Ability damage every round isn't anything to sneeze at, especially when you're only spending 1 Grit. Normal Bleed + Con Bleed isn't a bad combo, especially if the normal Bleed is essentially free.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

30. - Top - End - #360
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Nice guide!! Thanks for taking the time and trouble to make this up.

Are the additional reserved posts towards the end for anything in particular you were going to add, or are they "just in case"?

Also, are there any samples of builds out there? I would like to see where some builds go. I can write down what feats and whatnot, but there is nothing like having actually played it.

Maybe I am crazy, but as a DM, I allow ToB, psionics, and pretty much anything else you can point at in a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Tohsaka Rin View Post
    Role playing is like riding on a bus.

If you sit in the back, and act cool, nobody is going to talk to you.

You've gotta get in the middle and interact.