New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] The Gunslinger's Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled Gryphon View Post
    Nice guide!! Thanks for taking the time and trouble to make this up.

Are the additional reserved posts towards the end for anything in particular you were going to add, or are they "just in case"?

Also, are there any samples of builds out there? I would like to see where some builds go. I can write down what feats and whatnot, but there is nothing like having actually played it.
    Glad you like it. The reserved posts are for whenever I get back to work on this, as I have much more to write, just finding the time to do the work is always the issue at this point.

There are builds sprinkled throughout the thread to glean insight from, which one of the goals is to suck up into one of the posts at some point as well.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

2. - Top - End - #362
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    The reserved posts are for whenever I get back to work on this, as I have much more to write, just finding the time to do the work is always the issue at this point.
    ... Wait, what? Your going to add even more awesome to the awesome!?!? Are you sure that's a good idea? Too much awesome is highly unstable, and your pushing it already, mister!! Seriously, though, what is missing? It seems to me that you pretty much covered it all.

Maybe I am crazy, but as a DM, I allow ToB, psionics, and pretty much anything else you can point at in a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Tohsaka Rin View Post
    Role playing is like riding on a bus.

If you sit in the back, and act cool, nobody is going to talk to you.

You've gotta get in the middle and interact.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

... Wait, what? Your going to add even more awesome to the awesome!?!? Are you sure that's a good idea? Too much awesome is highly unstable, and your pushing it already, mister!! Seriously, though, what is missing? It seems to me that you pretty much covered it all.
    Archetypes and equipment first and foremost, collecting and writing up my own builds, as well as refining the previous work, notably feats and deeds, perhaps races. Much to do, too little time.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

4. - Top - End - #364
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Rules question: Can you use Intuitive Shot and Vital Strike with the same attack? Vital Strike is an "attack action" and Intuitive Shot is done with a standard action, so I sort of assume you can but am not sure.

I know I know, Vital Strike isn't the most optimal thing to build around, but I figured it might be worthwhile if these can be combined.

5. - Top - End - #365

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob.Tyr View Post
    Rules question: Can you use Intuitive Shot and Vital Strike with the same attack? Vital Strike is an "attack action" and Intuitive Shot is done with a standard action, so I sort of assume you can but am not sure.

I know I know, Vital Strike isn't the most optimal thing to build around, but I figured it might be worthwhile if these can be combined.
    You can't, unfortunatelly. If you could use Vital Strike on those standard action attacks it would be a lot better.
    3DS Friend Code: 4442-0172-6654 Safari: Flying (Pidgey, Hoothoot, Fletchinder)

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob.Tyr View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vanitas View Post
    You can't, unfortunatelly. If you could use Vital Strike on those standard action attacks it would be a lot better.
    What Vanitas said on standard actions.
    As for whether Vital Strike is the better feat, consider firearm penetration range is in that 20-40' range, right where Intuitive Shot (and Focused Shot, incidentally) works at. What it comes down to is if what your Wisdom is at and what weapon you're using. Pistols and Muskets average 4.5 and 6.5 damage, respectively, so if your Wisdom is below 18-24, Vital Strike is the better option, especially if you regularly fire outside 30' (Distance Muskets come to mind). So in niche cases where you have divine caster level Wisdom, Intuitive Shot is better, though idk how common that necessarily is outside Dwarven and Tengu Gunslingers.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

7. - Top - End - #367
    Halfling in the Playground

I had a good idea for a build using levels in Duelist untill I noticed the clarification on the PFSRD saying it needed to be a melee weapon.
    Is there an official source for this? The only place I've seen it is the d20PFSRD, but I haven't seen any actual errata or anything on paizo's website that I could find.

Also: Anyone have any thoughts on Shieldmarshal? Seems like a potentially fun PrC but it's hard to find anyone's input on it.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I have noticed a small issue with the guide, actually. The Ultimate Combat Feats section is not with the other feats, they are in the Archetypes, Multiclassing and Builds section.

Maybe I am crazy, but as a DM, I allow ToB, psionics, and pretty much anything else you can point at in a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Tohsaka Rin View Post
    Role playing is like riding on a bus.

If you sit in the back, and act cool, nobody is going to talk to you.

You've gotta get in the middle and interact.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NotAnAardvark View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts on Shieldmarshal? Seems like a potentially fun PrC but it's hard to find anyone's input on it.
    It is a very solid PrC, and with it stacking "1/2 level towards Gunslinger Deeds" it is quite nice, the Judgment can even reduce Miss Chance bonuses!

The main downsides are loss of access to "Signature Deed" feat and "True Grit" feature.
    Yes, you can always just take Gunslinger 11/Shield Marshal 9 and get Signature deed anyway, but then you're either taking Shield Marshal last, where it does less good, or your taking Shield Marshal earlier and delaying Signature Deed.
    It is also not very "archetype friendly". One of the requirements is "Proficient with 2 types of Firearms", which Pistolero and Musket Master only have 1 type of Proficiency.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

I have noticed a small issue with the guide, actually. The Ultimate Combat Feats section is not with the other feats, they are in the Archetypes, Multiclassing and Builds section.
    I hit the character limit on that post. :/
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

http://www.archivesofnethys.com/Feat...mName=Fabulist

This feat manages to be completely useless at what seems like its intended use, but manages to be really good anyways.

You can bluff enemies for free (as talking is a free action, saying something false while talking is also a free action) and if one of them fails their sense motives, you regain grit for each that does.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    http://www.archivesofnethys.com/Feat...mName=Fabulist

This feat manages to be completely useless at what seems like its intended use, but manages to be really good anyways.

You can bluff enemies for free (as talking is a free action, saying something false while talking is also a free action) and if one of them fails their sense motives, you regain grit for each that does.
    Hmm, not quite.

Quote Originally Posted by d20 PF SRD
    Deceive Someone: Attempting to deceive someone takes at least 1 round, but can possibly take longer if the lie is elaborate (as determined by the GM on a case-by-case basis).
    It's like using Diplomacy in combat, it's probably too late to be telling tall tales when people are trying to vacate your liver from your torso with a rusty steak knife. Still, if you can handle that -10 to -20 penalty and have a feat to spare, it's not a bad feat for Mysterious Strangers and Swashbucklers (since Panache and Grit are interchangeable, apparently) and any other Gunslinger with a halfway decent Charisma for recovering grit down at the old saloon without having to shoot half the town.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

No idea how that works in the slightest (If a gunslinger says "I've killed 100 men like you (already)" in combat, does he just stand there drooling the rest of the round?) but at least it isn't free grit everywhere. There are worse ways to regrain grit I suppose.
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2014-04-14 at 01:46 AM.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Just popping in to say that 2-gun fight'n withOUT a 3rd arm/tail is back on the table.
    Gun Twirling
    If you have Quick Draw feat, then you can holster a 1-hand Firearm as a Free Action.
    There's also something about Feinting with a gun.

BUT you need Weapon Focus and Dazzling Display to qualify for it, so it'll still be a bit before it comes online (Rapid Reload, Two Weapon Fighting and such having priority and all).
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

15. - Top - End - #375

BarbarianGuy

Awesome guide, thank for this, helped SOO much!

16. - Top - End - #376
    Pixie in the Playground

Thank you for the guide, but I might be missing something.

I'm making a Musket Master and I want to reload my two-handed firearm as a free action (you wrote it would be possible at 3rd level), but:

Normal reloading of two-handed firearm: full-round action.
    Rapid Reload feat: goes to Standard Action (comes for free on level 1 of Musket Master)
    Fast Musket Grit (requires to have 1 grit point in the pool): goes down to a move action.

Following what's written on ULTIMATE COMBAT page 115 for Rapid Reload feat.

So I STILL shoot only once per turn, even with higher BAB. How do I solve this?

Copy-paste of the book (Rapid Reload page 115):
    "Benefit: The time required for you to reload your chosen
    type of weapon is reduced to a free action (for a hand or
    light crossbow), a move action (for heavy crossbow or onehanded
    firearm), or a standard action (two-handed firearm)."

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wagnerloeher View Post
    Normal reloading of two-handed firearm: full-round action.
    Rapid Reload feat: goes to Standard Action (comes for free on level 1 of Musket Master)
    Fast Musket Grit (requires to have 1 grit point in the pool): goes down to a move action.
    Alchemical Cartridges, reduces reload time another step (Move > Free).
    Craft them yourself to save $$
    To save some money at lower levels, always start fights with "normal" bullets/powder loaded, and only reload with Cartridges when you need to.
    [retired]

Oradin Guide