New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Chaos in the Academy WW - The Rift

Chaos In the Academy WW - The Rift

Narrators: Bladescape & Saposhiente.
    Rules written by: Saposhiente

In most worlds, most planes, most stories.. Separate Worlds are often split by the void which holds them apart. It is a protection again power surges, a way to insure that the actions of one plane does not effect another. Although this, in itself, makes it extremely difficult to travel between two planes. But this was not always the case, as there have always been anomolies. In this case, it was the oddest abberation in the history of the layers of dimensions. There lay not two, not three, not even four but five planes adjacent. They were, in fact, so interwoven that it would not be difficult to pass from one to another. It is here that my tale begins.

So used to traveling between worlds, The denizens of the five planes created a place, called the Arcanium. Situated on the center plane, it was the school of magic, the central resource for any user of power on these planes. As such it had a massive concentration of knowledge interred within. From the scrolls of planar knowledge that they had scrounged to books on Necromancy. Nothing was forbidden, and rarely was Death the final frontier for the members of the Arcanium.

But when you have such a massive gathering of power all centered in one place, inevitably things go wrong. The students, often travelling between planes to return home, disturbed the Void, shook it out of its ponderous slumber. For the Darkness does not takes lightly to such casual use. It could not strike immediately, though, as the members of this school had near perfectly mastered the intricacies of short length planar travel.

However, its chance was not long in coming. Nearing the end of another break at school in the Arcanium, the students begun returning, one by one, in a slow trickle. The usual greetings and banter of those that had not seen each other in a while flowed easily across the courtyard, reacquanting themselves with each other, the students ventured inwards. But the gatekeeper wasn't there, and the Arcanium seemed abandoned. The reason became apparant very soon.

There was a Rift, into the void. The darkness dwelling within called forth, sucking everything near into it. It moved ponderously, but nothing could escape once in it's grasp. And here it was that they learned what had happened. One of the remaining Teachers had, in an effort to add a sixth world to the Arcanium's link network, searched and stretched out into the void. It had reacted, tearing a planar hole right into the inky darkness....

But the promise remained in sight for all the students. The first one to properly understand and control the force that compelled this Rift.... Would have a memoir written in their name. And they would be known as the conqueror of the Rift. On top of that, the power inside of it was immense, and being able to wield that at will would be something any student would dream of. So began the game of lives, the dangerous game. How close could you come to the portal before you were sucked in? But how close did you need to be to work out what fueled this thing? ......

Rules:
    Spoiler
    Show

-Everything outlined at {Werewolf Central}
    -Game begins at Night
    -Each phase lasts 48 hours unless people vote to extend the phase
    --Extending a phase 1 more day requires 20% of people in favor
    ---Each day-long extension after that will require an additional 20% (So extending a phase to last 96 hours in total would require 40% in favor, etc)
    ----It is not possible to have 120% of people in favor. Just make up your minds, people.
    ---Votes to extend Night (but not Day) can be submitted via PM.
    -When a person is lynched, the list of people who had been Leeching (see the Major Spell) off of them is revealed (Use this to determine which players are less of a threat (since their Leech targets have died) and which are growing more powerful)
    -In the case of a 2-way tied lynch vote, both players die (This can be used to kill the two remaining Study-ers with neither one winning)
    --You may vote to "tie Person A and Person B". Your vote will be distributed to try to make both players be lynched
    -In the case of a 3-or-more-way tied lynch vote, one of the players will die at random
    -Try to act in your own best interest

Traditional Bladescape Rules:
    Spoiler
    Show

Striking Through Votes: Please strike out old votes, when changing to another. This helps out the narrators when counting the votes. When I tally the votes, if you do not do this, I will count your first vote.

Autolynches: We will be autolynching players only if they do not point for 3 days straight. Of course, if you let me know that you will be gone for more than a week, we will give you a pass. (Autolynches happen at the end of Day phases and do give additional Knowledge points to Study-ers, identical to if multiple people were lynched.)

FC's Rule of Narrator Invocation: If you claim that the Narrator made a mistake, and the Narrator is asked about it, the Narrator will answer honestly. So don't use the Narrator's name in vain.

Bladescape's rule of formatting theft: Bladescape will invariably steal formatting, rules and other such things from other Narrators, especially Lex-Kat. Do be warned that any rights that exist belong to the original creators of the formatting, rules and etc. If they do wish it, he will reformat and remove the copyrighted formatting.

Roles:
    Spoiler
    Show

-Wizard- You may, every Night:
    --Cast one Major Spell and one Minor Spell OR
    --Cast three Minor Spells OR
    --Cast a Minor Spell as a Major Spell (This allows Scrying spells to pierce Defends, Hides and Disguises) and cast one Minor Spell
    -(Everybody is a Wizard)

Spells:
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]Spell Name|Description|Type
    Major Spells
    Leech|While target player is alive, you gain an additional vote in the Day. You are informed if this spell fails.|
    Study|You gain one Knowledge point for every person that is lynched in the next Day phase. If at any time you have a number of Knowledge points greater than 4/5 of the number of players that joined the game and no other living player does and you are alive, you win immediately.|
    Silence|Target player's vote does not count in the next Day phase.|Attack
    Void|The spells target player casts in this phase fail.(If two people Void each other (or in similar cases involving a chain of 3 or more people), all of both players' spells fail.)|Attack
    Trap|Players that target you with Attack spells in this phase are Voided and Silenced. Players that target you with Scrying spells in this phase are Voided. ("Is/are Voided/Silenced" is unavoidable, even if you Trap. Think of it as being Voided/Silenced by a Narrator, who, since he is not a player, cannot be voided back.)|
    {colsp=3}Minor Spells
    Store Energy|You gain one Energy point. During any Day phase, you may expend any number of Energy points via PM to gain that many votes in that phase.|
    Disrupt|Guess what Minor Spell target player is casting this phase. If they are casting that spell, their vote counts three less (to a minimum of 0) in the next Day phase. If they are not casting that spell, their vote counts two less (to a minimum of 0) in the next Day phase.|Attack
    Scan|You learn what players target player is leeching from, including any player targeted in this phase|Scrying
    Defend|Minor Scrying and Minor Attack spells targeting you fail
    Hide|Players who target you with target Minor Scrying spell in this phase are Voided. (See note on Trap)|
    Disguise|Players who target you with Minor Scrying spells are told results as if you were target player.|Deception
    Fake Weakness|You are reported as if you had been leeching from all players that die in the next Day phase.|Deception
    Compare Deception|Among three target players, you learn who has used the most and the least Deception spells. Ties are resolved at random. You may target yourself with this ability.|Scrying[/table]

Player list
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]#|Player|Role|Tags
    01|52.5 Lemons||
    02|BourgeoisJerry||
    03|Billtodamax||
    04|CD4||
    05|Eternis||
    06|Gilthonial||
    07|Gray Mage||
    08|Grue Bait||
    09|Internet Flea||
    10|Lord Loss||
    11|Mangosta71||
    12|Penguinator||
    13|Runeboundshade||
    14|Ramsus||
    15|SuperDark33||
    16|The Grimmace||
    17|Usourselves&we||
    18|Vanderscamp||
    [/table]
    Last edited by bladescape; 2011-12-13 at 08:33 AM.
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Chaos in the Academy WW - The Rift

in!
    Despite everything, its still me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Bladescape is a Narrator = I'm in.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2011-11-24 at 10:28 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Bladescape is a Narrator = I'm in.
    This. I think I'll have to do some singing again.
    Awesome Lion Avatar by the wonderful Mr. Saturn. Thanks

I have a bloog now. Go check it out if you love strange poetry.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

In, please!
    Avatar by whatever Zjoot became.
    Will take suggested phrases in sig. PM with ideas
    Am I missed in my absence?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Grimmace View Post
    I think I'll have to do some singing again.
    Yaaaaaay! I missed it in Mutants.

Bladescape games are my favorite.
    Last edited by Penguinator; 2011-11-24 at 01:29 PM.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

I seem to remember Saposhiente saying she'd reward anyone who could break a game she ran, but I don't see it on the rule list.

In. Am I to assume it's a free-for-all and the Leech spell is permanent (and can you leech the same person more than once)?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    I actually have two theories on why you're doing this, but neither make much sense and you would have to be insane to try them. It seems you are insane, which is great for my theories.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZarethG View Post
    I see your point, Internet Flea. However, I don't retract my assessment of your sanity.
    What kind of paranoid mind sees that as something else. ~ The Narrator, during Stranded in Space.

(Sugar Shock avatar by Dirtytabs.)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm in.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

In. Need more words for the 10 character minimum.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm in!!!!!!!!!
    And with each passing moment the mystery will become more tantalizing. Your imagination will inflame, but so will your frustration. Never knowing, only guessing, what could possibly be inside that box.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's see if I can survive at least one game run by blade.

Am I correct to assume this is a every wizard for himself game?

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

I do believe I'm in...
    this signature is dedicated to Lamp, the best wizard gnome there ever was...
    (Epee avi by none other than myself)
    Random String of Numbers: 12 18 99 90
    Check out some of my photography here
    Read about a project I'm involved in dedicated to providing safe drinking water here
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by The Grimmace View Post
    This. I think I'll have to do some singing again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post
    Yaaaaaay! I missed it in Mutants.

Bladescape games are my favorite.
    Ah. LOL. I see we're making another musical. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Internet Flea View Post
    I seem to remember Saposhiente saying she'd reward anyone who could break a game she ran, but I don't see it on the rule list.

In. Am I to assume it's a free-for-all and the Leech spell is permanent (and can you leech the same person more than once)?
    See below, free-for-all it is. Leech is permenant, but you cannot leech one person multiple times.

(Also, not sure, but breaking the game of Saposhiente's isn't a rule. )

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    Let's see if I can survive at least one game run by blade.

Am I correct to assume this is a every wizard for himself game?
    Yes, Free-for-all.

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Looks like a ripsnorter of a time, I hope the majority of my cognitive faculties return by that time.
    I’m getting kind of lonely.
    Oh, and in.
    We love plural first person personal pronouns.
    Rejoice in the bosom of white text our child.
    Avatar by Gnomish Wanderer! (::) invisible cookies (::)

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Internet Flea View Post
    Whoops, forgot to add that.
    It is now. (Note that the reward is that you gain a trophy and an internet cookie and then the rules are changed. To collect this, PM me with the method of breaking the game.)

Note that I am aware that certain spells are usually more useful than other spells and that certain spells powerfully pair with other spells. This (probably, unless there's something really weird) can't be broken because everyone has the same things, and therefore the same chances and opportunities.

Clarifications:
    Can I cast the same minor spell more then once a night?
    Yes (Assuming you are not casting a Major Spell and are therefore allowed to cast more than one Minor Spell)

Also, shouldn't Minor Scrying and Minor Attack be listed in the spells section?
    Minor Scrying isn't a particular spell. It's any spell that is both Minor (Minor spells cast as Major spells are not included) and has type Scrying (Scan and Compare Deception). Same to Minor Attack.
    Last edited by Saposhiente; 2011-11-25 at 04:56 PM.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I'll join! This looks cool!
    Xykon's not Evil. He just get bored really easily. And he doesn't have constructive hobbies.
    Spoiler: Gen/Degen
    Show
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your signature and add one.
    Degeneration 92
    The first time you see this, copy it into your signature and subtract one.
    Spoiler: Super Secret Awesome Point Counter
    Show

Iceseer - 3

HUGS FOR ALL!
    Spoiler: I be an awesome pokemon
    Show

Spoiler: Le Quotes on le topic of Me
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    You're a perfect person.
    Isn't Socksy adorabibbles?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Vanderscamp
    Guest in the Playground

In! Looks pretty solid

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Sounds fun. I'd like to be in.
    For a good time engrave `Elbereth'.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Am I to understand that the 'study' major spell is the only way to win the game?
    And with each passing moment the mystery will become more tantalizing. Your imagination will inflame, but so will your frustration. Never knowing, only guessing, what could possibly be inside that box.

20. - Top - End - #20

No. Last one standing also wins.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saposhiente View Post
    No. Last one standing also wins.
    Cool, that makes so many more tactics available.

Also, what happens if there are two people left? (If they're on equal terms, and one isn't greater than the other.)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll join.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by RuneboundShade View Post
    Also, what happens if there are two people left? (If they're on equal terms, and one isn't greater than the other.)
    They play Rock-Paper-Scissors with Silence, Trap and Store Energy. If they both choose Trap or they both choose Store Energy, they both die and lose. If they Silence each other, they play again. EDIT: On second thought, technically they'd both die and lose even though no valid votes were cast.
    Also, if one person has only a minor advantage (1 more stored energy than the other), then it's the same situation except the person with the advantage wins ties of Trap and Store Energy (Interesting effect on the game, since Silence becomes a worse choice verses an opponent that chooses at random, which makes Store Energy worse for the person with the disadvantage, but this of course makes Silence better, etc).
    If one person has a moderate advantage (2 additional stored energy), they play again with no advantage if they Trap and the opponent Stores Energy.
    If one person has a major advantage (3 or more additional stored energy), they win if they Trap (but they might not know that they have a major advantage).
    Last edited by Saposhiente; 2011-11-27 at 01:12 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

They play Rock-Paper-Scissors with Silence, Trap and Store Energy. If they both choose Trap or they both choose Store Energy, they both die and lose. If they Silence each other, they play again. EDIT: On second thought, technically they'd both die and lose even though no valid votes were cast.
    Also, if one person has only a minor advantage (1 more stored energy than the other), then it's the same situation except the person with the advantage wins ties of Trap and Store Energy (Interesting effect on the game, since Silence becomes a worse choice verses an opponent that chooses at random, which makes Store Energy worse for the person with the disadvantage, but this of course makes Silence better, etc).
    If one person has a moderate advantage (2 additional stored energy), they play again with no advantage if they Trap and the opponent Stores Energy.
    If one person has a major advantage (3 or more additional stored energy), they win if they Trap (but they might not know that they have a major advantage).
    What about Disrupt? Your completely forgetting about disrupt...>.>

25. - Top - End - #25

OldWizardGuy

Just a question about silence, does it also stop any energy votes from discharging store energy?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Except that they get to both trap/silence and store energy, which means that, unless they have energy stored from earlier, they will both still die.

I have not joined this game for two reasons:
    There isn't sufficient benefit from working with someone for any true alliance to form, and the endgame is too likely to see everyone dead or a random win with a lucky studier.

My suggestion would be to add one or two spells that are fairly weak by themselves, but become quite powerful with the assistance of another player*. In addition, there should be some way to scry for how much someone has studied and/or even disrupt their studying, to make studying carry a comparable risk to not studying.

*It is important to note that two minor spells that bolster each other won't satisfy this with the way the game is currently set up.
    The BareFoot Programmer

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TBFProgrammer View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Except that they get to both trap/silence and store energy, which means that, unless they have energy stored from earlier, they will both still die.

There isn't sufficient benefit from working with someone for any true alliance to form, and the endgame is too likely to see everyone dead or a random win with a lucky studier.

My suggestion would be to add one or two spells that are fairly weak by themselves, but become quite powerful with the assistance of another player*. In addition, there should be some way to scry for how much someone has studied and/or even disrupt their studying, to make studying carry a comparable risk to not studying.

*It is important to note that two minor spells that bolster each other won't satisfy this with the way the game is currently set up.
    (I'm assuming Sapo's taking away the other spells for an endgame scenario.)

Well you'll want to keep your Leech targets alive as long as possible. (We can leech multiple people right?)
    Last edited by Internet Flea; 2011-11-27 at 01:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    I actually have two theories on why you're doing this, but neither make much sense and you would have to be insane to try them. It seems you are insane, which is great for my theories.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZarethG View Post
    I see your point, Internet Flea. However, I don't retract my assessment of your sanity.
    What kind of paranoid mind sees that as something else. ~ The Narrator, during Stranded in Space.

(Sugar Shock avatar by Dirtytabs.)

28. - Top - End - #28

Yes, you can Leech as many people as you like.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by RuneboundShade
    What about Disrupt? Your completely forgetting about disrupt...>.>
    Disrupt is suboptimal in 1v1 (Early to mid game is another story). You're better off just using Silence.
    Quote Originally Posted by cd4
    Just a question about silence, does it also stop any energy votes from discharging store energy?
    Yes. The energy is spent, but the vote still counts as 0.
    Quote Originally Posted by TBFProgrammer View Post
    Except that they get to both trap/silence and store energy,
    The choice of Store Energy is to cast Store Energy three times, in place of casting a Major Spell. For the other ones, they cast both that spell and Store Energy.
    There isn't sufficient benefit from working with someone for any true alliance to form,
    Not so. It is important to be secure enough in your position that you do not have to spend Energy just in case you are the #1 lynchee out of 2-4 possibilities. If votemongerers band together and do not vote for each other, they all benefit. Studiers also are always looking for suckers to be their form of protection since they have limited vote power. Also, since it's to your benefit that people you Leech from remain alive, alliances can be spontaneously be formed between people that are Leeching each other.
    and the endgame is too likely to see everyone dead or a random win with a lucky studier.
    See correction on endgame. In any case, the most likely winner of an endgame is someone who had managed to never be a top lynch target, and who had lots of extra energy, since people with 3 or more extra energy can force a win. As to studying, that's not winning the endgame, that's surviving the midgame despite having highly limited voting power and, if you don't spend some of that already small power to Fake Weakness and potentially Disguise or Defend, a giant bullseye on your head.
    My suggestion would be to add one or two spells that are fairly weak by themselves, but become quite powerful with the assistance of another player*.
    Sort of have this, see above. There is a fine line to be walked, since there also needs to be a way to betray in any big combo to be made
    In addition, there should be some way to scry for how much someone has studied
    Yes, it's called Scan. Also, you can tell that people are doing this (unless they're using Fake Weakness, but this leaves them even weaker) just by tallying up whose Leech targets have died and which people have not lost anyone at all.
    and/or even disrupt their studying
    It's called lynching someone who has spent two thirds to five sixths of their power on Study.
    to make studying carry a comparable risk to not studying.
    After considering what I've just said, do you still believe this is required? Also note that since there can be only one winner, the more people that are Studying the less powerful it becomes, since a small group of non-studiers can just Scan each other to prove their strategy and then control the lynch all by themselves to eradicate every Studier. Vote analysis is a boon here as well, since people voted for by people who aren't studying are far more likely to be ultimately lynched, and likely candidates can be derived from this.
    Last edited by Saposhiente; 2011-11-27 at 11:08 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

If votemongerers band together and do not vote for each other, they all benefit.
    I still don't see much of an alliance forming between vote mongers, but I'm not going to waste any more of your time on the argument.
    The BareFoot Programmer