New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

biggrin RPG Creation Contest I: Beam Me Up, Scotty! (Contest Over, Please Vote)

This Contest Is Over. We Have Begun Voting.

RPG Creation Contest I:
    BEAM ME UP, SCOTTY!

Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

In the RPG Creation Contest, you don't create content for an existing roleplaying game, but a full fledged roleplaying game of your own. It can be as rules-light and simple as you want, so long as it is playable and has a coherent rules set. It can be done in 24 hours, so a month should be plenty of time.

This month's theme: science fiction!

RULES

You will be creating an original RPG with an original premise. It can not use an existing rules set or be based off of any existing media. The setting and rules must be your own.

You must explain the rules. After reading through your game, it must be clear how to play. You can assume that the reader knows basic RPG concepts and has played D&D or something similar.

The entry must be between 2000 and 8000 words. This length is short enough to be readable in a short amount of time, but long enough to sufficiently describe the setting and rules.

The game must have been created for this contest. No submitting creations of other people, or games you have made earlier.

The game must have a sci-fi theme. There will be a different theme next month.

THE CONTEST WILL BE CLOSED AND VOTING WILL BEGIN ON SEPTEMBER 30TH. GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by Chainsaw Hobbit; 2011-10-03 at 12:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: RPG Creation Contest I: Beam Me Up, Scotty!

This sounds like fun, I've already got a concept forming in my head. Should be ready to start cultivating pretty soon.
    You gotta' let me know, are we human,
    Or are we dancers?
    My signs are vital, my hands are cold,
    And I'm on my knees, begging for the answer,
    Are we human, or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I too have a concept forming, I just hope I have the time to put work into it.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

4. - Top - End - #4

Im interested, but one question: how close to fantasy can we get, like having magic such as "the force"?
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to submit a game, but I don't know what yet. Probably something dark and gritty.

Quote Originally Posted by SheepInDisguise View Post
    Im interested, but one question: how close to fantasy can we get, like having magic such as "the force"?
    I would say you can have stuff like magic, as long as it is closer to science fiction tan fantasy. Star Wars is perhaps a little too fantastical.
    Last edited by Chainsaw Hobbit; 2011-08-28 at 02:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Are we allowed to post what we're working on anywhere else while we're developing it to get feedback? Or should we keep it to ourselves until it's ready to put up here?
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IcarusWings View Post
    Are we allowed to post what we're working on anywhere else while we're developing it to get feedback? Or should we keep it to ourselves until it's ready to put up here?
    I don't see a problem with posting your game piece by piece and sharing the creative process.

8. - Top - End - #8

How will you judge systems to decide who wins, as this is a contest. Also, do we get any playtesting?
    Last edited by Howler Dagger; 2011-08-28 at 04:21 PM.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Muse View Post
    I don't see a problem with posting your game piece by piece and sharing the creative process.
    Great, I've already got around 500 words down, so I'll be able to share some stuff soon probably.
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

How will you judge systems to decide who wins, as this is a contest. Also, do we get any playtesting?
    The Playground will vote. It says so at the bottom of the original post.

11. - Top - End - #11

oh I may post some stuff soon.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

At 700 words and counting!

Concept-wise, I'm going for something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliders meets Exalted meets http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pre...28TV_series%29.

Essentially, you were exiled from your reality to a continuity of short-lived little worldlets, in which you must alter their "history" to solve problems. And by short, I mean they exist in a stable time-loop, consisting of maybe a year or two, tops; of course, the people "inside" have memories from before that point, and aren't aware that those memories are false. They also forget anything not in that "basic" set-up, unless the path that that worldlet is following is also warped.

Oh, and just something of interest (I mean, I like it...), there is a scaling condition called Longing. It essentially is, mechanically, how much you are tied to the current worldlet; let it drop too low, and you are essentially out of that session (you would have to be dragged back, as you don't consciously perceive it at all), and if you let it get too high... You go native.

The above serves as a type of HP, by the by.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post

Concept-wise, I'm going for something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliders meets Exalted meets http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pre...28TV_series%29.

Essentially, you were exiled from your reality to a continuity of short-lived little worldlets, in which you must alter their "history" to solve problems. And by short, I mean they exist in a stable time-loop, consisting of maybe a year or two, tops; of course, the people "inside" have memories from before that point, and aren't aware that those memories are false. They also forget anything not in that "basic" set-up, unless the path that that worldlet is following is also warped.

Oh, and just something of interest (I mean, I like it...), there is a scaling condition called Longing. It essentially is, mechanically, how much you are tied to the current worldlet; let it drop too low, and you are essentially out of that session (you would have to be dragged back, as you don't consciously perceive it at all), and if you let it get too high... You go native.

Sounds amazing! Keep it coming.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post

That sounds awesome, seems like this is going to be a hard competition.

I'm at about 700 words to but mine's kinda' different. Mine's more inspired by a mix of Instrumentality from Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Inception.

The base concept is that it's a post-apocalyptic world after an alien invasion. And humanity, to defend itself, has ascended to Thoughtspace (name is a placeholder), shedding their mortal bodies and living in a realm of pure thought. You play as government operatives who both police Thoughtspace, and make dangerous missions into the corporeal realm to protect humanity's interests there, using robotic bodies called Eidolons.

The bare-bones of the conflict system is pretty weird though, in Thoughtspace it's all about imposing mental rules (called Axioms in the game) on your opposition to change their tactics, whereas Earth has set rules (e.g. Gravity, the laws of motion etc.) that you have to play to, but you also get awesome gadgets with your Eidolons that you can use.
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IcarusWings View Post
    The base concept is that it's a post-apocalyptic world after an alien invasion. And humanity, to defend itself, has ascended to Thoughtspace (name is a placeholder), shedding their mortal bodies and living in a realm of pure thought. You play as government operatives who both police Thoughtspace, and make dangerous missions into the corporeal realm to protect humanity's interests there, using robotic bodies called Eidolons.

The bare-bones of the conflict system is pretty weird though, in Thoughtspace it's all about imposing mental rules (called Axioms in the game) on your opposition to change their tactics, whereas Earth has set rules (e.g. Gravity, the laws of motion etc.) that you have to play to, but you also get awesome gadgets with your Eidolons that you can use.
    You know, that sounds equally, if not more awesome.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

I haz idea!
    Awesome Gordon Freemane Avatar by Dirtytabs

ATTENTION: Finally returning (slowly) after a hiatus. I'd rather not talk about it.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Those who post with ponies become ponies themselves.
    And if you stare too long into Equestria, Equestria stares into you.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpotato and Aldurin
    Free action is infinite attacks a round isn't it?

You're right, it's too weak.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Savannah

Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll join. Creating a vaguely Warhammer 40k / Master of Orion / Shadowrun inspired setting.
    Using an "unnecessarily complicated" simulation heavy mechanic.

Although, I'm not 10% into the first version and already at 1,300 words. doing it all in 8,000 will be tough (and I can't believe I'm writing this because I usually have no problem, summing up stuff).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maraxus1 View Post
    I'll join. Creating a vaguely Warhammer 40k / Master of Orion / Shadowrun inspired setting.
    Using an "unnecessarily complicated" simulation heavy mechanic.

Although, I'm not 10% into the first version and already at 1,300 words. doing it all in 8,000 will be tough (and I can't believe I'm writing this because I usually have no problem, summing up stuff).
    Well, I'm glad to see you're enthusiastic.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

I'm in--though I may not finish in a month's time--we shall see.

In other news, I recommend that future themes have a little more specificity. It will encourage innovation so that players appear different from one-another, and you'll have more themes so that you're not rolling back to "sci-fi" as a theme in half a year's time (e.g. Cyberpunk, High-Fantasy Magic) or requrie a focus in certain areas (e.g. combat-oriented, politically-oriented)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YouLostMe View Post
    I'm in--though I may not finish in a month's time--we shall see.

In other news, I recommend that future themes have a little more specificity. It will encourage innovation so that players appear different from one-another, and you'll have more themes so that you're not rolling back to "sci-fi" as a theme in half a year's time (e.g. Cyberpunk, High-Fantasy Magic) or requrie a focus in certain areas (e.g. combat-oriented, politically-oriented)
    For the first few contests, I'm going to have broad themes. Afterwards, I'm going to up the stakes and make them more specific. After I have covered fantasy, horror, historical, ect, I'm going to cover things like steampunk and crime.

21. - Top - End - #21

Comment and two questions.

Comment: For reference of everyone, my system will draw inspiration from d20 and Serenity RPG. It's coming along nicely so far, just hope I can fit everything into the word limit.

Question #1: Are we allowed to make expansions to current systems? (Ex: make something like Redshirt: the Sacrifice for nWoD)
    Just re-read the rules

Question #2: Are we allowed to help each other with the systems/expansions?
    Last edited by GFawkes; 2011-08-31 at 04:02 PM.

ATTENTION: Finally returning (slowly) after a hiatus. I'd rather not talk about it.

Spoiler
    Show

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Savannah

Extended Signature

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    Question #2: Are we allowed to help each other with the systems/expansions?
    I don't see why not.
    Last edited by Chainsaw Hobbit; 2011-08-31 at 04:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

That's a relief. I'm having a little trouble coming up with alien races. Here's what I've got so far:

Humans, obviously
    Ixeli, a race of reptile-insect bipeds
    Pseudon, a race of plants
    Garra, a race of many jointed monkeys

I was thinking of adding something with an aquatic focus, but I don't think that makes sense in space. Anyone have ideas?

Spoiler
    Show

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Savannah

Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ichtis aka aquatic aliens are scheduled already.

And "Redshirt - the sacrifice" sounds like something, someone needs to do it at some future time.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    That's a relief. I'm having a little trouble coming up with alien races. Here's what I've got so far:

Humans, obviously
    Ixeli, a race of reptile-insect bipeds
    Pseudon, a race of plants
    Garra, a race of many jointed monkeys

I was thinking of adding something with an aquatic focus, but I don't think that makes sense in space. Anyone have ideas?
    I'll throw out a few ideas for you if you want (these are all off of the top of my head, so don't expect any polished ideas).

How about a sentient swarm of hivemind controlled insects?

Sentient coral that latches onto, and telekinetically moves, rocks to have a substant body?

Giant squids/humanoid squids that can walk on land (could work for the aquatic one)?

A race of humanoids that look pretty similar to the Slender Man (large but extremely skinny and boney)?

That's all I can think of for now.
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

26. - Top - End - #26

My system is at 1,425 words. It revovles around the PCs being semi sentient robots. The galaxy of Matizat(the name of the game, bonus points if you can figure out where i got it from) is home to many species (that you cant play), no humans, cause this is not the milky way and the idea of having humans is rediculous IMO. Also, there is no FTL travel, you travel via. Wormholes. Your measure of sentience is like your level, and your obedience score represents how controlled and uncreative you are. As you go up in sentience, you go down in obedience.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

My system is at 1,425 words. It revovles around the PCs being semi sentient robots. The galaxy of Matizat(the name of the game, bonus points if you can figure out where i got it from) is home to many species (that you cant play), no humans, cause this is not the milky way and the idea of having humans is rediculous IMO. Also, there is no FTL travel, you travel via. Wormholes. Your measure of sentience is like your level, and your obedience score represents how controlled and uncreative you are. As you go up in sentience, you go down in obedience.
    I have no idea where you got it from, but I know that it's your character name in that one PbP we're in...

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Spikey Mace of Looking at All Sides of the Question
    Anyone who can tell me what my avatar is gets a cookie.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds good. If you are stuck below 2000 words, you should create a sample adventure.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Muse View Post
    Sounds good. If you are stuck below 2000 words, you should create a sample adventure.
    Its not complete yet (i still need to finish the part on Space Ship), though that is a good idea.
    Last edited by Howler Dagger; 2011-08-31 at 04:38 PM.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I made a banner for the contest to put in your signature:

To put in in your signature, copy the following text:
    HTML Code:
    [URL="http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213241"][IMG]http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9049/banneriupload.png[/IMG][/URL]
    Last edited by Chainsaw Hobbit; 2011-08-31 at 07:56 PM.