New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Capt. Ido learns to steal thread ideas (and also draw)!

Day 129 - 0u0
    Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
    Music: mellow mood music 3x combo

So uh, holy carp I somehow lost a week to this thread. Ironic on a few levels, given the subject matter I suppose. Unfortunately, that's not the only thing that's gone wrong tonight, the other being my opinion of this drawing in the final five minutes of working on it. I was liking it very much at the start, but the more I worked on it, the less satisfied I was, until quite suddenly at the end I ceased liking it altogether. Not really sure what happened, I feel like it got hella muddled when I wasn't paying attention.

My goal this week is to wrap up the troll portraits and spend a day polishing them up where I can for a nice composite shot. Any and all critiques on anything would be appreciated. I know for a fact that Tavros's face needs redoing to make him look less like Doug Funny, for one. That should take me all through Saturday, which is a challenge in and of itself, as my drawings don't seem to happen over the weekend, which is weird, since I theoretically have MORE time to draw then

2. - Top - End - #272

Day 130 - Thirsty
    Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
    Music: Same as yesterday, plus The Wanderers

So overall my opinion of this is better than my opinion of yesterday's, but I still noticed me suddenly disliking parts and pieces as I colored in the lineart. This is so weird for me

Drawing Girls Is Hard And Nobody Understands.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

I understand, Captain! I understand...

Or I would, if I knew anything about drawing girls. :X

Anyways you're awesome and keep drawing!

4. - Top - End - #274

Buhhhhh, where did my momentum go? This is frustrating. I can't get better if I don't practice ><

Day 131 - Pro color break
    Spoiler
    Show

Since I cannot bring myself to fail another portrait at the moment, I am taking a break from that tonight and doing a bit of color work. I really like the Iron Man/Rocketeer look that Captain Sparky of SMNC fame has going on, so I threw together a sketch of his helmet and gave a stab at some coloring. Meh, it is definitely colored, if anything?

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait... did you just go 5 days without any updates?
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

6. - Top - End - #276

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Wait... did you just go 5 days without any updates?
    And then went and missed yesterday too? Yeah I'm not going to give excuses, nobody wants to hear it, it's on me no matter what.

That said, this is a Thing that is important to me, and I NEED to keep reminding myself this, and forcing myself when I can't make the time, or feel like making the time. Every step of the way is important.

Day 132 - Contemplation
    Spoiler
    Show

Sketchy, everything is sketchy.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

'S cool, mate!

*Pats on back*

Just, uh, draw more. ^^

8. - Top - End - #278

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    'S cool, mate!

*Pats on back*

Just, uh, draw more. ^^
    Thanks! Encouragement does help. : )

Not having ideas doesn't help either, but really, I think the trick is to just draw something, anything, anyway, no matter what. Of course, that is probably the hardest thing of all, else I'd have perfect habits by now. In any case, here we are!

Day 133 - The Truest Sign
    Spoiler
    Show

This is another one of those Images that sticks in my head, and the first time I've ever tried to really give this a shot at drawing. It felt appropriate to do today, day 133, which is, to day 133 => 1+3 + 3 => 3 + 4 = 7

9. - Top - End - #279

Alright, so the last two days we actually due to some serious to less serious but important Ido life events that were necessary, but fortunate in that they will play largely into me having a much smoother schedule for the forseeable future, and gosh darn it if I can't try and keep it that way. Specific goals aside, I will get a drawing up every day this week, and this is a promise to you all and myself. It will happen!

Day 134 - Above the rest
    Spoiler
    Show

Nothing SUPER fancy or out of the ordinary here. I did realize that all my troll portaits thus far have been facing to the right, so I decided to give the Left a shot, and try something interesting with hair, which I still hate to do. Meh, we'll see how I feel about this in the morning. Future Ido is fickle with opinions.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

Needs more action shots.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

11. - Top - End - #281

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Needs more action shots.
    Noted! I will get started right away... starting tomorrow! Since I actually had something in mind already to draw today :D

Day 135 - Bonus XP for Bonus RP
    Spoiler
    Show

So my adventuring party got invited to a banquet after saving a guy and his daughter from lycanthropes, and tell you what we looked fine at this shindig. Shown tonight is half the party, our gnome enjoying his cravat (purple pinstripes not shown) and our elf wearing one of her favorite older dresses. Later this week we might see our two humans in their finery? Until then... action!

12. - Top - End - #282

Day 136 - Batchalogue
    Spoiler
    Show

Action shot! What could be more full of action than hitting something just off panel with a large blunt object? Nothing, I say!

Man, this turned out to have a lot of stuff at play here. Pretty much all that anatomy drawing I've been practicing, and even some facework. Felt good to do!

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Looks pretty good! The pose conveys the motion fairly well, although I might nitpick and suggest that the torso-hip connection looks a little stiff; might have more fluidity if you made the torso curve a bit more. Of course, I'm still new to action poses myself, so take that with a large grain of salt...
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

14. - Top - End - #284

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Looks pretty good! The pose conveys the motion fairly well, although I might nitpick and suggest that the torso-hip connection looks a little stiff; might have more fluidity if you made the torso curve a bit more. Of course, I'm still new to action poses myself, so take that with a large grain of salt...
    You're definitely right about it though, some more curve in the torso (and less torso overall, sheesh Ido 9__9 ) would probably be well warranted. Thanks!

15. - Top - End - #285

Day 137 - Something familiar
    Spoiler
    Show

Super messy sketch tonight, though I'm actually really liking the direction this is taking. This is where my different areas of self-improvement collide: my current caffeine detox mandates earlier more sleep, but my drawing mandates to draw SOMETHING. However, being concious tomorrow is a higher priority, so I am going to tickle myself with a sketch I will absolutely want to explore and finish later.

Dragons are cool, you guys. Even the little ones.

16. - Top - End - #286

Day 138 - Sibsy Birthday
    Spoiler
    Show

It is both several months since I have actually drawn a pony in any amount of seriousness, AND it is Sibsy's birthday, one of the MLP storyboard artists, and a bit of an inspiration to myself. So! To commemorate all this, here's her now cannon OC, Wild Fire, with a nice little hot rod cake.

In other news, I declare this weekend a Polish Session, and will use that time not to draw new things, but to clean up and practice coloring old things. Woo hoo!

17. - Top - End - #287

Sorry about missing yesterday! Believe it or not, it was a conscious decision. Yesterday night, Imgur, the hosting service I've been switching to, had some pretty bad technical difficulties, including images being randomly hotlinked to nsfw material. Since I didn't want to invoke those gods of chance, I set aside more time today to get two out of the way. Sorry again!

Day 139 - Time and time again
    Spoiler
    Show

As I said before, this weekend is review and refactor weekend, so here is the first of several! I really really did not like my Aradia from before. The more I looked at it the more I hated it. So, while I don't like this one as much as say, Eridan, at least it is an improvement. I even had to go back and redo the mouth on this one right before posting it, as I'd already started to hate this one >_>

18. - Top - End - #288

And as promised, update number two! I know, I'm shocked myself!

Day 140 - Something similar
    Spoiler
    Show

My wizard's familiar is always helpful with her studies. Good psuedodragon, best familiar.

19. - Top - End - #289

Day 141 - A little revolutionary
    Spoiler
    Show

Instead of redoing an old image, I got all caught up on Legend of Korra and became physically unable to NOT draw something from there. So obviously I'm going to pick the hooded masked figure. I mean really was there any question?

Guys Amon is going to give me nightmares.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

I think you might have left a little too little detail off of his face, mask aside. It just kinda makes him look chubby, and that in turn seems far less intimidating. Like, I don't see a neck on this guy. We don't know for sure yet, but I think Amon isn't a ghost.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

21. - Top - End - #291

^Amon should lay off the rice cakes, almost definitely. He should also get colored, yes. This will happen! I want to do this.

Day 142 - ST concept
    Spoiler
    Show

In which Ido spends the afternoon with old friends, gets inspired to play SMNC, forgets about drawthread until ungodly hours, gets inspired to draw SMNC imagery, draws a quick sketch to hold it in memory long enough to do it tomorrow properly. Multi hour job ahead? Hmmmm

22. - Top - End - #292

Day 144 - ST WIP
    Spoiler
    Show

Next verse, same as the first. A little bit cleaner and a little less worse.

More to come!

23. - Top - End - #293

Okayyyy Ido. You're had a long week, with progressively less sleep as you've gone on. We've got a lot of good work done, and a great sequence the last few days towards the picture in your head. Now we just need one final push to have it fully realized. That's all we need.

Day 144 - ST realization
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, oh okay I guess we'll do that tomorrow then. Nice quick sketch though, all things considered. Zombiebrain shall deactivate after 40 winks.

24. - Top - End - #294

Day 145 - Shade on the Tank Day
    Spoiler
    Show

So my goal was to shade the whole thing, but 2+ hours of fussing later, I think one a day is a good pace to keep ^^;; I like how this is shaping out though!

25. - Top - End - #295

Done!

Day 146 - Sparkleterror B&W
    Spoiler
    Show

For now at least. Woo! This was a big challenge to fill out. Glad to be done! Dynamic poses, two unique shapes, SHADING. I certainly know how to bite off a lot for myself! I'm just glad I didn't want color, or else I'd be at this another full week.

Maybe someday though, come to think about. Mark this for later, self.

26. - Top - End - #296

You begged, you pleaded, you wrote threatening letters! And finally I have relented. It's time for more pony.

Day 147 - Prime
    Spoiler
    Show

I've done my share of people for now, I think it's time to return to the nonanthropomorphic for a short bit to keep me happy. And nothing makes me happier than quick and easy Derpy sketches. I should like to get a fast style down for these critters, I want to draw them more especially, but I also don't want to be bogged down for hours on a single drawing. I need something faster, and yet still maintaining a degree of cleanliness. This is the focus of this week, I think.

27. - Top - End - #297

Day 148 - Paradox clones
    Spoiler
    Show

Day two, nearly identical pose as last time, but one that I'm a lot happier with. A fun part about drawing for me is trying to nail down styles, be it realism, my instructors', tv shows, or even my own. I would love to find a uniquely me style, especially for poni, but I definitely need to nail down the basics of the actual thing first. So, more practice today with the real dimensions, shapes and proportions. Today's feels a lot more solid and on par with Faust's style. Not perfect, but getting there. Also, I left the guide lines in because darn it I worked hard on those too.

28. - Top - End - #298

Day 149 - Third try's the charm
    Spoiler
    Show

Hrmmmmm...

I should remember to draw from references more often...

He types, while looking at a page of hot garbage...

29. - Top - End - #299

Day 150 - Perambulate
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm getting there... slowly, but I'm getting there.

Man, day 150. It's the kind of number that makes me want to leave a long introspective post mulling over all my support and progress I've made. But, I think I'll just leave it at thanks for everything, playgrounders Here's to another one-fifty!

30. - Top - End - #300

Day 151 - Perambulatory 2!
    Spoiler
    Show

An exact replica of yesterday's, but this time with some advice on how to shape it up. Somehow diverging towards filly proportions either way. How does this keep happening?

Again, this is one of those drawings where I love it up until I black in the eyes, whereupon I suddenly dislike it. This is getting old!