New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Capt. Ido learns to steal thread ideas (and also draw)!

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Looks like his hat needs to be delegated to someone else then. :/
    (Like Marevey Dent.)
    It would appear that things have finally come to a head on an old issue, one that I have never really been sure how to deal with, and one that threatens to send me back into the nothingness from whence I came when it rears its head.

This thing is, of course, the dreaded Work In Progress.

I have said to everyone, bless you by the way, that I will always post something, every day. I've learned that, there are some things that I simply cannot post. I don't mind posting the odd warmup doodle or piece of trash, but when I have a specific image in mind, when I've been struck by a bolt of inspiration, I find myself without fail, every single time, physically unable to post my incomplete work. I have That Picture in my head, and I am far, far too embarrassed and ashamed to post anything but That Picture.

And I don't know what to do about it.

I don't know how to say "I did something, but I'm not going to post it". That is completely opposite the point of my post, isn't it? I can't NOT post, even though I do time and time again, because that's against my stated rules of this thread. But I can't not draw, either, as that defeats the entire exercise, and leaves me stagnant and a failure. Even if I am doing the work (which is the ultimate goal of this, right?) no posts from me means nothing to YOU guys, who are supposed to hold me accountable and offer support, however that looks. But I can't post what's not done, not when it's *supposed* to look like something in my head. But I did work, but I don't feel that it's good enough, but I should, and soon enough I am wrapped up in myself in a big ball of whatever.

It's where I am right now. Even though I have spent many hours this past week, working daily on this image that started in my head, but is making its way to canvas, BUT I do not know how I'm supposed to let everyone know this is going on.

What do you guys want? What should I do about this?

I was talking with Amish, and the best we came up with together was to simply text post every day that a WIP happened that I can't bring to post incomplete. As with everything this seems as incomplete a fix as the WIP itself, but this is where I open it up to yall for criticism, just like my drawings. What would you have me do? What's the best course of action? I'm all about improving, but I'm against the wall with this one.

THAT BEING SAID

To show how serious I'm being about this, here is my freaking WIP, which I hate because it is not yet done, and I have very little idea what is going on, only what I want it to look like:

Day 170 WIP - Kurai
    Spoiler
    Show

The black is just kind of hastily up there, but it's for a better view of what's to come here. I consider this mostly done, probably a solid day or two out from complete. I was going to have tonight, but I spent the time allotted drawing writing this post up instead. I leave myself open to you, playgrounders. Do your worst, I am sorry for failing you.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    It would appear that things have finally come to a head on an old issue, one that I have never really been sure how to deal with, and one that threatens to send me back into the nothingness from whence I came when it rears its head.

This thing is, of course, the dreaded Work In Progress.

I have said to everyone, bless you by the way, that I will always post something, every day. I've learned that, there are some things that I simply cannot post. I don't mind posting the odd warmup doodle or piece of trash, but when I have a specific image in mind, when I've been struck by a bolt of inspiration, I find myself without fail, every single time, physically unable to post my incomplete work. I have That Picture in my head, and I am far, far too embarrassed and ashamed to post anything but That Picture.

And I don't know what to do about it.
    Day 437
    Day 438
    Day 439

As you can see, I was in a bit of a slump. Lasted about two months.

I've got an embarrassingly large backlog of semi-complete or WIP pictures that I'll probably not come back to. That's fine. Whatever. I don't owe them anything, and I don't owe my audience anything. I'm doing it for myself.

Posting it on the internet helps, though. It's a declaration of 'Today, I did this!' You can see the changes you've made and how the thing has progressed. You can look on it and reflect on what you've learned. It is helpful to you.

Remember, this is a Learns to Draw thread. Not a 'let's all bathe in Ido's awesome art' thread. If posting a bunch of scraps with annotations is what's gotta be done, it's what's gotta be done. The process of producing scraps and incomplete works eventually, inevitably boils through into producing completed things. It's a promise to yourself to do better tomorrow.

That's what I think the value in it is.

3. - Top - End - #333

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Day 437
    Day 438
    Day 439

As you can see, I was in a bit of a slump. Lasted about two months.

I've got an embarrassingly large backlog of semi-complete or WIP pictures that I'll probably not come back to. That's fine. Whatever. I don't owe them anything, and I don't owe my audience anything. I'm doing it for myself.

Posting it on the internet helps, though. It's a declaration of 'Today, I did this!' You can see the changes you've made and how the thing has progressed. You can look on it and reflect on what you've learned. It is helpful to you.

Remember, this is a Learns to Draw thread. Not a 'let's all bathe in Ido's awesome art' thread. If posting a bunch of scraps with annotations is what's gotta be done, it's what's gotta be done. The process of producing scraps and incomplete works eventually, inevitably boils through into producing completed things. It's a promise to yourself to do better tomorrow.

That's what I think the value in it is.
    *longsigh*

And thus, I suck it up, and post something anyway. Though please note, Thanq and everyone else, that I in NO way view this as a "Ido's Awesome Art" thread. My opinion of my art is extremely low, which is why I am doing this in the first place

Okay! I will now be posting something everyday, per usual, but I will humbly say when a drawing is a WIP, and it would be SUPER GREAT and HEARTWARMING if someone found it in their hearts to offer the odd bit of advice.

Like with tonight's installment, for instance!

Day 170 - I don't know how to Number WIP's
    Spoiler
    Show

The whole of the body is roughly colored and shaded. Now the only thing missing a raw color are the cylinders. I did a rough tweak on the face, I'm liking it a bit more. The bit around his crest is not quite right, but I'd rather get the rest down pat right.

Also I tweaked the side shadows, because someponies had surprising strong opinions about them, and since I don't know what I'm doing I figure I'll oblige opinions where I don't have any

4. - Top - End - #334

Hokay, operating under the guise of "no criticism is good criticism", here is today's update.

Day 170 - Yeah, Still!
    Spoiler
    Show

Roughing out the background, cleaning up some colors that were leaking out from their lines. And now I'll sit back and look at this for a full day and wonder what's going on, also I just now realized I forgot to fill in the cylinders too, guess those are happening tomorrow!

Later, gators.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

Hum... what cylinders? (Also, where exactly is the light coming from here?)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

6. - Top - End - #336

Hum... what cylinders? (Also, where exactly is the light coming from here?)
    On his cheeks, elbows, and the back of his hand there, are some disk/cylinder-looking affairs. Also, the main light is coming from that blue thing, which I have yet to finish coloring to make it look like it's emitting light, which is tonight's job.

7. - Top - End - #337

Alright, I'm calling it! Unless there's any advice or suggestions or critiques to be had, this guy is DONE, so I can finally work on something else. I totally will do whatever needs to be done if there are glaring issues, but this assumes that they get brought to my attention, because as previously states I don't really know what I'm doing with this one, only going off my gut.

Day 170 - Kurai
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #338

Today, we take paws from days and days of grayscale shading of metal, and instead switch to a goofy little photoshop doodle over a cake topper a friend found for their wedding.

Day 171 - #52 x 2 + I do
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Capt. Ido Nos; 2012-08-09 at 09:54 PM.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ettin in the Playground

Psst. You're 4 days behind now.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

10. - Top - End - #340

Four days? I just missed yesterday?

Because I definitely posted today, in like five minutes from now:

Day 172 - Fanart "Friday"
    Spoiler
    Show

Everyone's second favorite robot from Gunnerkrigg Court! Also Shadow 2.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh, so you did. I got confused by the nonsensical dating system of the forum.

(Seriously, why are they not stacked by size? Day-Month-Year is how it's done. Or the other way around if you like. But don't intermix 'em.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #342

Huh, so you did. I got confused by the nonsensical dating system of the forum.

(Seriously, why are they not stacked by size? Day-Month-Year is how it's done. Or the other way around if you like. But don't intermix 'em.)
    Phew! Okay, this means I have not lost my head and three days of my life. Plenty of time for that yet, anyway.

Also, my guess for the Month-Day-Year format is because the Giant is based in America, and that is how things are done in AMERICA.

13. - Top - End - #343

I have had, a great idea!

One of the many big problems of drawing, is knowing what to draw. I have accummulated a small backlog of ideas and suggestions, and I am also privy to the odd bolt of inspiration or whimsy. But these don't always suffice, you see?

Some days I don't feel like tackling anything from the suggestion box, and my mental well has run dry. What do I do then?

I have realized that there is another thing I have been itching to get my hands on: Source Filmmaker. After spending a week learning the ropes and popping out my first video, I've been percolating on new ideas, and have already piled up a few for the backburner. But, how am I going to squeeze time in for that too, and how does that relate to drawthread? Simple!

Storyboards!

I can draw and doodle tons of individual shots and actions, of recognizable characters in action on locations. It's perfect! I'm going to be WAY too slow with the actual legwork to get them done superfast, so I can just storyboard away whenever I get hung up! This probably isn't a PERFECT solution, but it feels like a darn good one, I'd say.

Day 173 - Project 4: Scene 1
    Spoiler
    Show

We'll see where this takes us.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, sounds like a plan.

(But use a damn ruler. )
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #345

Well, sounds like a plan.

(But use a damn ruler. )
    You got it!

Like this, right?
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #346

Day 174 - Somebody, Somebody
    Spoiler
    Show

Sometimes, you gotta acknowledge the classics, the giants upon who's shoulders you stand.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    Day 174 - Somebody, Somebody
    Spoiler
    Show

Sometimes, you gotta acknowledge the classics, the giants upon who's shoulders you stand.
    ...who?
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

Ido, mah boi...
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #349

Well Domo, I mean I figure if I was going to be blamed for skipping four days, I might as well EARN it, right? >_>;; I mean right? I mean OKAY DON'T PUT ME IN THE BOX AGAIN OH PLEASE NO

Day 175 - Venn
    Spoiler
    Show

While there are certainly external forces, the battle of self-improvement continues.

(Also, Domo! Shame on you for not knowing Homestar Runner!)

20. - Top - End - #350

Day 176 - First Class
    Spoiler
    Show

I have words to talk about today's sketch, but none of them seem to fit together into coherent sentences. SO, instead Ima say that I'm going to try and fire through all nine tf2 classes, and see what happens. Go for a simple style, maybe. One down, eight to go!
    Last edited by Capt. Ido Nos; 2012-08-22 at 10:02 PM.

21. - Top - End - #351

Day 177 - General Improvements
    Spoiler
    Show

Two down, eight to go!

(why can't I improve all areas of my life without having the various improvements slip when I focus on others? There are not enough hours in the day)

22. - Top - End - #352
    Colossus in the Playground

Both of those, legs seem too long. Remember, bottom-waist = waist-top of head. Human beings standing straight have handy rules like that:

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-08-28 at 12:30 AM.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Orc in the Playground

I like the soldier drawing! The long arms, huge hands and small head work well, makes him look a bit like a big ape. To me at least, the legs don't really seem too long, unless you want him to look even more like a gorilla.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ettin in the Playground

Ido, homie... why are we looking at no updates for nearly three weeks here?
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

You can do it, Ido. ;_;

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

Consider yourself nudged, young man! (And hand me that hat of yours, while you're at it.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

;_____________________;

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

I thought the good captain was explicitly away from the forums for a while? With the search down, I can't actually check to try and confirm that, though, I just have a nagging memory of him posting something like that.