New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Capt. Ido learns to steal thread ideas (and also draw)!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    Hey now that I'm thinking about it, how's my line thickness? I know that tends to be a style thing, but do folks thing I'm making them *too* thick? What seems to be a happy medium?
    For line thickness, I personally draw in 2000x2000+ px and 2.6 sized pen for my linework. I've got no information if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I think a bigger problem with your linework is that it's not particularly smooth, you can still see wobbles and overruns with it. Draw from the elbow, it makes lines so much smoother.

That said, that book fort? Pretty cool.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Banned

Trying to make heads of the second paragraph though. I think you're saying that I've got two different sets of proportions going on? Like the arm and fingers exist in one proportional scale, and the palm, thumb, and torso are in a second? Pardon me for not getting you right away, it's pretty late on my end and I think I used up all my Comprehend English allotments for the day...
    XD
    YES, that is what I was trying to say.

I'm actually pretty pleased with how it turned out. If you like you can check it out, though warning: pony exposure.

So that's my sad tale. It's now too late for me to put the proper effort into drawing and also get anything resembling sleep for work tomorrow. I feel pretty bad about that, even though I feel good about what wrote. I promise I'll spend some extra time and love on my sketch tomorrow, if that's okay with everyone!
    Better hope your DM doesn't care about arts & crafts, or decide to randomly check Capt. Ido Nos most recent posts. This here? This is a neon sign saying you're premeditating stuff for his campaign .

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Book fort is well done, though a ruler (placed on your tablet surface if your painting package didn't have that tool) would have made it even better.

Frankly, at this stage, line thickness is not a key issue. But remember that line - quality and weight - is an element of design just as important as color or shape. The line on the man's portrait draws my attention to where I shouldn't be looking.

I draw pictures:

(haven't been updated in a while and you can read the comic here)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    For line thickness, I personally draw in 2000x2000+ px and 2.6 sized pen for my linework. I've got no information if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I think a bigger problem with your linework is that it's not particularly smooth, you can still see wobbles and overruns with it. Draw from the elbow, it makes lines so much smoother.

That said, that book fort? Pretty cool.
    What program are you working with? Because I'm curious to see what kind of units that 2.6 stands for. I've been working on A4 size at 300 ppi resolution, which I then save for here at 72 to make it easier to view.

Totally right though, my lineart is in no way smooth by any stretch of the imagination. Drawing from the elbow sounds interesting, if not a bit tiring. Do you mean like use my elbow as a pivot for my forearm and just keep my hand steady as it moves?

Bookfort was pretty fun, this might be a good benchmark drawing to come back to.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

XD
    YES, that is what I was trying to say.

Better hope your DM doesn't care about arts & crafts, or decide to randomly check Capt. Ido Nos most recent posts. This here? This is a neon sign saying you're premeditating stuff for his campaign .
    Haha, I'm glad I followed you! I think... well if he ever decides to read my specific stuff I'm hosed of course, but I feel like I'm pretty safe down here in the A&C boards? Fingers crossed of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Saeyan View Post
    Book fort is well done, though a ruler (placed on your tablet surface if your painting package didn't have that tool) would have made it even better.

Frankly, at this stage, line thickness is not a key issue. But remember that line - quality and weight - is an element of design just as important as color or shape. The line on the man's portrait draws my attention to where I shouldn't be looking.
    Derp, I ALWAYS forget that I'm allowed to use a straight edge when I'm drawing straight edges =S

Well that's a bit of a relief still about the line weight. I'll keep playing around with it as the mood hits I suppose. The man's portrait... man you wouldn't believe as how many more lines I DIDN'T put in. I just kept wanting to draw out every little detail I saw... apparently... even less next time, got it!

And I know that it wasn't directed at me specifically, but I really did like that little comic on perspective that you posted in Thanqol's drawthread. Very informative! It's in my saved box now.

Hey Ido, I thought you were going to post earlier today? What gives? Whatever were you doin-

Day 18 - 1.8
    Spoiler
    Show

... ah, I see then.

Time spent: 25 minutes.
    Tunes: Minecraft Song

Sometimes, no matter what I'm trying to draw, I get another idea that's even stronger, so I just gotta roll with it.

5. - Top - End - #65

What program are you working with? Because I'm curious to see what kind of units that 2.6 stands for. I've been working on A4 size at 300 ppi resolution, which I then save for here at 72 to make it easier to view.

Totally right though, my lineart is in no way smooth by any stretch of the imagination. Drawing from the elbow sounds interesting, if not a bit tiring. Do you mean like use my elbow as a pivot for my forearm and just keep my hand steady as it moves?

Bookfort was pretty fun, this might be a good benchmark drawing to come back to.
    I use Corel Painter Essentials, at 150 pixels per inch (I've got no idea what that number means, I got it by doubling the base level).

"Tiring" is not a word I'd use to describe drawing from the elbow. Tiring is doing complicated cross-hatching with your wrist. Drawing from the elbow gives you big effects with a small number of sweeping gestures. Keep your hand still and move your entire arm. Gives you long, smooth, straight lines. It might take a few tries to get the line perfect, but I've found it's less difficult than I thought it'd be.

Well that's a bit of a relief still about the line weight. I'll keep playing around with it as the mood hits I suppose. The man's portrait... man you wouldn't believe as how many more lines I DIDN'T put in. I just kept wanting to draw out every little detail I saw... apparently... even less next time, got it!
    My biggest flaw going into this drawing project thing was that I overdetailed everything I ever did to a ridiculous degree. I don't know if I've kicked the habit, but it's something I've been working on.

Hey Ido, I thought you were going to post earlier today? What gives? Whatever were you doin-

Day 18 - 1.8

Sometimes, no matter what I'm trying to draw, I get another idea that's even stronger, so I just gotta roll with it.
    Nice action in this one, it feels like it's in motion. Only nitpick is I can't read his expression, the faint curved line under one eye makes him look almost scared.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-09-16 at 04:38 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66

Due to technical issues and a faltering state of consciousness, Day 20 is being posted tomorrow after its been resolved

7. - Top - End - #67

WHELP. I got the issue fixed but then never got around to posting... for three days...

That sucks, but I have decided how I'm going to make that up (something that WILL happen!) and that is going to be to repeat what I've done tonight each day this week as additional practice.

Day 19 - Fast poses
    Spoiler
    Show

Time spent: technically 12 minutes of pure drawing time, but 30 minutes total.
    Music: This playlist on random.

Alright, I found this neat website that has this massive bank of poses, and someone has built an application that pulls these poses at random, and gives you a very short time limit to draw these out before a new picture is switched in. I'm counting up 24 different poses up there, so with the 30 second time limit they recommended I guess that's twelve rounds. I had a little break here and there when they gave me a really weird pose so that I could switch in a clean layer. After I was done I moved everything around a bit so that it'd fit my page better - I was drawing only five or so on the whole page at a time before hiding that layer and making a new one for space. Also, I made an increased effort as I went on to not lift up my stylus and get the flow of the pose the best I could, hopefully the bottom half of this page is less fluffy than the top.

So here's what's going to happen. This felt like an amazing exercise, no question. Since I feel bad about missing the last three days, I'm going to "punish" myself by making me do this exercise every day this week in addition to my regular drawing. Who knows, maybe this'll be a regular thing and I might learn something out of it too?

I use Corel Painter Essentials, at 150 pixels per inch (I've got no idea what that number means, I got it by doubling the base level).
    Ah okay! That mostly tells me what I wanted :) ppi is literally your resolution, how many pixels of the image will be in a square inch.

"Tiring" is not a word I'd use to describe drawing from the elbow. Tiring is doing complicated cross-hatching with your wrist. Drawing from the elbow gives you big effects with a small number of sweeping gestures. Keep your hand still and move your entire arm. Gives you long, smooth, straight lines. It might take a few tries to get the line perfect, but I've found it's less difficult than I thought it'd be.
    Hmm... that does seem to get me straighter lines... I feel like I have a lot less control over the lines though. They go nice and straight, but they don't end where I want them to :\

My biggest flaw going into this drawing project thing was that I overdetailed everything I ever did to a ridiculous degree. I don't know if I've kicked the habit, but it's something I've been working on.
    I want to line EVERYTHING. I feel sometimes like I don't actually draw, but instead I'm sculpting with whitespace, and THAT isn't really the way to go, I know that much.

Nice action in this one, it feels like it's in motion. Only nitpick is I can't read his expression, the faint curved line under one eye makes him look almost scared.
    Yeah, I really could have stood to clean up that face. Actually thinking back, I bet that I meant to, but forgot and posted it after I finished a different part. Intentions mean nothing when I don't carry though though -_-"
    Last edited by Capt. Ido Nos; 2011-09-19 at 11:11 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Day 19 - Fast poses
    Neat exercise! What's the website?

9. - Top - End - #69

Posemaniacs! I found it through someone I follow on dA. Here's the site :D

10. - Top - End - #70

Wow, of course the day I try and draw early life throws a bunch of Events at me.

Alright, today is a super sketchy day, but I still feel pretty good about it, I think. Layout practice and more poses, even though it looks pretty sloppy.

Day 20 - Mixer (preview)
    Spoiler
    Show

Also my daily poses dealy:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71

Wow, of course the day I try and draw early life throws a bunch of Events at me.

Alright, today is a super sketchy day, but I still feel pretty good about it, I think. Layout practice and more poses, even though it looks pretty sloppy.

Day 20 - Mixer (preview)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dialogue:
    p1:
    Thanqol: "So welcome to the drawing club, Ido! It's a road to eternal improvement!"
    Ido: "Thanks! So what's your secret?"
    p2:
    Thanqol: "Why, it's simple! First off, I find my favourite artists. Then I kidnap them and inject their blood directly into my own veins. The progress is astounding!"
    p3:
    Ido: "Haha, you're such a joker Thanqol. Besides, wouldn't you have a negative reaction to different peoples' blood?"
    p4:
    Thanqol: "Wait, that's a thing? Damn. I think I should go see a doctor."
    p5:
    o_o
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-09-21 at 12:22 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72

I wish I had more time on the front end of my evenings so I wouldn't have to stay up so late practicing

Day 21 - Next verse, same as the first
    Spoiler
    Show

My next step past yesterday. This ah, this took me three hours to do, so I'm passing on the random poses for tonight. I added two more panels, and got by and large all the messy lineart down. Tomorrow is clean lineart, and possible word bubbles time permitting.

Thanks for the laughs Thanqol. That wasn't my intended dialogue, but it actually gave me some tweak ideas (largely why I have some more panels today).
    Last edited by Capt. Ido Nos; 2011-09-22 at 12:42 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73

Looking really good, but one thing completely weirds me out - three hours? I've got no idea how your process works and how much erasing and perfectionisting you're doing, but that seems perhaps excessive for a sketch layer. It's a good looking sketch layer, no doubt, but perhaps you could find a more efficient way to do it?

14. - Top - End - #74

Looking really good, but one thing completely weirds me out - three hours? I've got no idea how your process works and how much erasing and perfectionisting you're doing, but that seems perhaps excessive for a sketch layer. It's a good looking sketch layer, no doubt, but perhaps you could find a more efficient way to do it?
    Alright, now that I've gotten some sleep and I'm rereading last night's post, I had no business claiming that took me three hours

From the time I sat down and fired up elements to the time I hit post was just under three hours, and last night!ido completely failed to account for all the time that distractions took away from the actual process. I was a bit more nitpicky than usual, but I'm not going to let excuses allow me to get away with it. All told, I spent at most two hours on this. Absolutely longer than an hour, but no longer than two.

Legitimate excuses though: I did add two new panels, which took a bit of time to figure the poses (since there is a dialogue going on here), and I did redraw some of the panels over from scratch at least once since they looked like complete crap the first time.

Speed is not the most important thing, but being slow certainly isn't good. Tonight, let's see what happens as I bang out the clean lineart?

15. - Top - End - #75

Day 22 - It's Finished!
    Spoiler
    Show

All told, this took me a lot longer than I thought it would when I started doing this three days ago. While this was fun... I think I've run into what constitutes as "too much for one day". Still good practice though!

16. - Top - End - #76

Marvellous

Expect my retaliation comic when I clear my schedule somewhat.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Banned

Day 22 - It's Finished!
    Spoiler
    Show

All told, this took me a lot longer than I thought it would when I started doing this three days ago. While this was fun... I think I've run into what constitutes as "too much for one day". Still good practice though!
    Had to copy the image URL to see the comic.
    This comic is one of the greatest things to come out of anything ever. And this?

Spoiler
    Show

This is fantastic. I don't even know how to describe it. Well, other than fantastic. And am I runnin around wearing a lampshade?

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Day 22 - It's Finished!
    Spoiler
    Show

You must post this in the main ponythread. YOU MUST!

*continues shufflin'*
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

19. - Top - End - #79

Marvellous

Expect my retaliation comic when I clear my schedule somewhat.
    Hooray! Wait what?

Had to copy the image URL to see the comic.
    This comic is one of the greatest things to come out of anything ever. And this?

Spoiler
    Show

Oooh, ouch yeah you're totally right on the "not phone friendly" bit there. Sorry about the hassle there. In the future when I've got a big image, you want me to load up a smaller sized one as well? That... shouldn't be too much of a problem?

Glad you like it all the same

This is fantastic. I don't even know how to describe it. Well, other than fantastic. And am I runnin around wearing a lampshade?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    You must post this in the main ponythread. YOU MUST!

*continues shufflin'*
    Everyday you're shufflin doing the Running Man because it's a topical dance step Also, you've seen by now it's posted, so look what you made me do, you monster.

Day 23 - Poses Part III
    Spoiler
    Show

Speaking of monsters, the last few days have been a lot of work on that and a lot of fun, except that it hurt my sleep pretty badly getting that done. So! To help recenter my drawing chi, I just spent a good fifteen minutes doing the posemaniac excersice, and that felt great. It doesn't LOOK so great to me, but getting some hard fast sketches in felt like a good step. Now, bedtime!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos
    Oooh, ouch yeah you're totally right on the "not phone friendly" bit there. Sorry about the hassle there. In the future when I've got a big image, you want me to load up a smaller sized one as well? That... shouldn't be too much of a problem?
    Sorry mate, that's a screw-up on my part; one in a string of many communication errors this last week.

I very specifically zoomed in, took a picture, uploaded it to photobucket, and posted it so you would know which part made me laugh the very hardest (running pirate was a close second).
    The "had to copy/paste the URL" was just idle chatter. A bad habit of mine I'm trying to be on the lookout for. The picture was sized fine.

On a different note, your skill with tablet and cartoon forms makes me jealous. And your poses are comic along nicely. Several of them jump out at me as having distinct personalities. It's intriguing.

Keep up the good works me buck-o. You're doing fabulous.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Ido? What are the haps, and why are no drawings involved in the aforementioned haps? [/nag]
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2011-09-26 at 12:28 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Banned

Hey yeah, where ARE the Haps?

You're letting us down Ido. You're letting all of us down. You're letting yourself down. Don't let us down Ido. Compleat your art. You will feel so much better when your art is compleat.
    You did want us to get on you if you stalled, right?

23. - Top - End - #83

*stroll out of a good morning meeting after a wonderfully productive weekend*

*decide to hop on forum for morning read*

*realize I forgot about drawthread for five days*

Oh geez oh geez oh geez guys I'm so sorry Auhguhughauhg fudge shoot augh. I don't even know what to say D: I'll get arts up here as soon as I can TT__TT

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

5 times the art, you mean. Preferably six.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

25. - Top - End - #85

So yeah, I had already booked my entire evening today before I remembered my extreme backup and problem. So here's the deal. Tomorrow, I'm just straight up using all my free time drawing, and I'm going to post whatever I have done at 11 so I can get some sleep, so that I don't start a vicious cycle of being too tired to draw and never catch up. Because I'm GOING to catch up. This is a thing that has to happen. I can't let myself slip past any more. I need to get this drawing habit going.

And, while I do this, everyone please start yelling at me if I go any longer than two days without even posting to say anything at all, just to be sure.

Spoiler
    Show
    Day 24 - Badly Drawn Supafast Sketchy Pinkie Promise?

26. - Top - End - #86

Day 25 - Not all ideas are good ones
    Spoiler
    Show

Here is a little revisit of our sniper friend. That's all I can think to say. *waves hand* You may all say how bad it is now.

27. - Top - End - #87

Day 25 - Not all ideas are good ones
    Spoiler
    Show

Here is a little revisit of our sniper friend. That's all I can think to say. *waves hand* You may all say how bad it is now.
    Oh god, his left arm.

Nice perspective on the hammer, though.

28. - Top - End - #88

Oh god, his left arm.

Nice perspective on the hammer, though.
    Yeah I was wondering if anyone would point out that arm

Nah, but seriously, I was kind of going for a fisheye lense sort of perspective, so that ended up wreaking havoc on the straight lines, as they are wont to do when I try anything with perspective, at all >_>;

Alright, last two days were sketchy, time to spend some time and give a piece some polish.

Day 26 - Melenkany
    Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 hour
    Music: None, but art of the dress was stuck in my head.
    Reference: This lovely screenshot from today's news.

Okay wait, an hour? How the hay did this only take me an hour, this used to be a three+ hour endeavor I stumbled across this picture today on Joystiq, and it really stood out to me, so I decided to try something I literally don't think I've done in years... the female form. It... it actually turned out okay I think? A lot better than I thought it would when I started. Also I'm not really sure if she's wearing pants or a skirt in that cap, so I went the skirt route because screw you, pants.

All in all... this went surprisingly well today

And now for some overdue replies:

Sorry mate, that's a screw-up on my part; one in a string of many communication errors this last week.

I very specifically zoomed in, took a picture, uploaded it to photobucket, and posted it so you would know which part made me laugh the very hardest (running pirate was a close second).
    The "had to copy/paste the URL" was just idle chatter. A bad habit of mine I'm trying to be on the lookout for. The picture was sized fine.

On a different note, your skill with tablet and cartoon forms makes me jealous. And your poses are comic along nicely. Several of them jump out at me as having distinct personalities. It's intriguing.

Keep up the good works me buck-o. You're doing fabulous.
    Oh okay, I see what happened there! All the same, I'll try and stay conscientious of the mobile crew and our itty bitty screens. I tried and failed to look at it on my phone, and Thanq's thread doesn't always agree with it either, so I'll try and make sure mine works or is at least somewhat regularly size ^^;;

Haha, I don't know about skill with cartoon forms, but I'm so thankful that my hand-eye coordination is treating me better with the tablet these days. The first drawings I did with it were just downright awful. It hurt to see them, it honestly did. And it wasn't even the usual "i am a bad artist" shpiel, it was a "that looks like I puked on something" level of wth

Poses, yeah the poses feel really interesting to draw too! I want to try and get those as simple as possible, and with the 30 second limit per each, that isn't always the easiest to do, especially when they throw perspective at me. Sometimes I just ragequit until the next one though, like they have a handful of toddler proportions that I just refuse to attempt ^^;;

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    5 times the art, you mean. Preferably six.
    Yes
    Last edited by Capt. Ido Nos; 2011-09-29 at 11:59 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89

Day 27 - Clever Title
    Spoiler
    Show

A little enderman action today, trying to get some of the minecraft out of my system. Kind of hard to say how much time I spent on this, and not going to lie in light of yesterday this doesn't look like much. But! This is actually the fourth iteration of this guy that I did tonight, and I think I'm starting to get too picky and perfectionist, so I made myself just post this and call it a night so I can use my one night of the week to catch up on sleep.

Gonna revisit this guy later. Endermen are wonderfully creepy, and perhaps once I delve into color I'll see if I can do this guy justice :)

30. - Top - End - #90

Some days, you just gotta throw out all your ideas and say "screw it, I'm drawing a bird".

Day 28 - One of those days
    Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 hour
    Tunes: Gotta Move That Gear Up
    Treference: This here raven.

Somehow I made it look angry. This was... unintentional!
    Last edited by Capt. Ido Nos; 2011-10-01 at 06:27 PM.