New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Default (Risus) Mystery Men: The Next Generation [IC]

February, 2013.

It’s been a miserably cold night for patrolling Champion City. Of course, it would’ve been better if you could have patrolled on Tuesday, but John had some family thing, and Monday was out because Marvin got lost trying to find some big downtown technology event that evidently didn’t exist in this timeline. So now it’s Wednesday, and the temperature has gone down and the wind has picked up, and it’s miserable. Even worse, long underwear really messes up the lines of a superhero costume.

But for once, patrolling has actually paid off! Down an alleyway off 17th Street, you caught members of the Stone Ponies breaking into a clothing store. OK, so the Ponies are pretty low on the gang totem pole, but still, a bust is a bust!

For some reason, the Ponies ducked into the store when confronted, and you find yourselves chasing them through the store and into dim interior of a mini-mall. It’s basically one wide hallway with stores on either side. The Ponies seem to be heading towards a short side hallway where the restrooms are.

What are you doing?
    Comedy is not pretty. - Steve Martin

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: (Risus) Mystery Men: The Next Generation [IC]

John "The Petting Zoo" Temple (1)

John quietly slips to the hallway entrance. He picks up the small black cat that had been perched on his shoulder and sets him down.

"Alright, Atwood." John tells the cat as it starts to move down the hallway. "Go on down there and see if you can find them." He can't even see the cat, anymore. "Just warn us and run off." He yells, "I don't need you getting hurt."

He then readies his capture stick and watches the hallway for anyone trying to run rack that he might snare.

Spoiler
    Show

Hopefully his little kitty will run into some guys and howl and hiss, maybe even claw, at them before running off.
    It's not just the Jerky (4) (4d6)[14]

If anyone runs back sown the hallway John hopes to snag them with his capture stick. If they attack he will block with his padded sleeve.
    Dogcatcher (3) (3d6)[10]
    Last edited by ISitOnGnomes; 2013-03-06 at 08:51 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Marvin "Futureman" Goering

Futureman (he has his goggles on) mumbles something about remembering this mall, the Czar of Russia, and some Chippendale dancers. Not to let an opportunity pass by to get warmer, Futureman gladly steps into the building, wondering why it was open anyway. Then, he removes his stuffed badger from inside his lab-coat and readies it for action. Finally he calls out "Hey there! We don't want any trouble, I'm just looking for a good game of Badgerball!"
    Spoiler
    Show

His roll for ranting incoherently Beggar with a Heart of Gold that Rants Incoherently[rollv]2d6[/rollv]
    If he needs to fight, he'll probably try to hit somebody with his badger Champion of a Sport Nobody has Heard of[rollv]4d6[/rollv]

Edit: Aannnd, apparently that doesn't actually work? New rolls in OOC
    Last edited by RadicalTurnip; 2013-03-06 at 09:43 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

On the tail of the Futureman and Petting Zoo (for choice given that the combined reek of the pair was eye-watering given the weather), Jerry Riggs, known reluctantly as the Electric Man, ducked into the nearest opposite corner cover from the animal expert.

He reached into his rucksack and readied p pair of his inventions; a cattleprod festooned with extra wires and batteries that gave off a disturbing crackling sound when activated in one hand and a little handheld bundle of odds-and-ends topped by a lightbulb. The vigilante in the lightning-themed costume explained that it was a homebrewed flashbang.

A notion struck him. "Is anyone covering the outside in case there's a window in the washroom?"
    I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever. It's been an honor sharing the field of battle with you.
    - Shane "Footsteps" Falco

I like my action the way I like my juice; Pulpy!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Atwood the cat trots down to the restroom hallway and rubs his head against the corner. He then ambles over to the door to Pipefitters and rubs his head against that. He then takes a sudden, earnest interest in cleaning his left rear foot.

Futureman gets no response from his rambling (what else is new?).

“The bathrooms in this mall are interior rooms, which you would know if you studied blueprints like I have.” The Electric Man starts at the sudden whisper at his shoulder, and dammit if it if it isn’t Shadowspawn, who claims to be one with the shadows (and is in reality a sneaky little so-and-so) and is one of the more annoying wannabes in Champion City. His constant mysterious whispering (even in the middle of a bus station, where you can’t hear a darn thing he says) and know-it-all attitude are bad enough, but what’s worse is that he shows flashes of actual competency – but those are usually overshadowed by his overconfidence.

The Ponies, ponytails bobbing, sprint down the restroom hallway.

What are you doing?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Ack! Them pony-tailed hooligans is getting away!" Futureman yells, letting his excitement make him revert back to "Futurespeak" as he calls it. Anyway, he dashes away after them, arms pumping, badger grasped firmly in his right hand.

7. - Top - End - #7

MonkGuy

The Electric Man almost jumped out of his skin when he heard Shadowspawn whispering at his shoulder. Just as he was about to curse out the sneaky little so-and-so, the Stone Ponies made their move.

Jerry burst out of cover, his cattleprod held at the ready and flicking the bundle open. He charged the gang members, right alongside the babbling Futureman, readying the bundle for an underhanded toss at their quarries' feet.

The Electric Man
    Spoiler
    Show
    (3d6)[5][4][3](12)

Practicing Free Runner
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by 18th Avenger; 2013-03-07 at 09:47 PM.
    I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever. It's been an honor sharing the field of battle with you.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Damn cat. "That's a good kitty, just keep an eye on that store." John yells out, to a completely unaware Atwood.

Turning to Shadowspawn, John opens his mouth as if to say something, but then closes it questioning what he was about to ask. That little creep probably knows the answer, he thinks, but I really don't want to hear about it. Although he doesn't want to deal with Shadowspawn, they need this bust.

"So, uh, do you think you might know of back way down there? Or why they suddenly need to use the restroom here?"
    Last edited by ISitOnGnomes; 2013-03-08 at 08:53 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Futureman and The Electric Man round the corner… well, actually, by the time Futureman gets to the corner Riggs is already standing halfway down the hallway, watching a utility door at the end of the hallway swing closed.

Meanwhile, Shadowspawn turns his inscrutable featureless gray mask towards John. “It’s a dead end,” he whispers. “But then again, that’s life, isn’t it?”

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Marvin looks toward The Electric Man with a shrug, then continues at a quick pace toward the utility closet. When he gets to the door, he prepares to open it for Riggs's 'device'.

11. - Top - End - #11

MonkGuy

With the bundle beeping and whistling in his hands, Jerry joined the nutty Futureman by the door.

"Pray this works," muttered the blue-clad vigilante. He reached down and wound up what seemed to be the key on a kid's wind-up toy before looking up and nodding to the crazily-dressed hobo. When it opened just enough to permit a hand, Jerry stuck his whole arm through and hurled it as hard as he could.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Electric Man - Throwing the homebrewed flashbang towards the Ponies
    (3d6)[4][4][1](9)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Perhaps the flash and the bang aren’t as senses-shattering as one would expect, but it’s still impressive. However, the room, which is small and nearly featureless, is empty. There are stairs going down, and the sound of descending footsteps is echoes upwards.

What are you doing?
    Last edited by Printer's Devil; 2013-03-14 at 07:12 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Marvin nearly jumps out of his skin as he was staring off into space when the flashbang went off, but he quickly comes back to reality and waves for John to follow them as he dashes down the stairs trying to take them two-at-a-time at first, then realizing that he probably can't do that at his age and maybe he should slow down a bit, I don't care if they *are* getting away.

More carefully, he still descends the stairs, if not at a fast pace, at least at a pace none-the-less.

14. - Top - End - #14

MonkGuy

"C'mon, Zoo!"

At the Futureman's heels, Jerry drew out his next device and began attaching it to his wrist; a very crude sort of "punch taser". Essentially a melee weapon, it was a taser attached to his wrist that shot the charged prongs like a scorpion's sting. It sat on his right wrist like an ugly spider.

"Dang it, Marvin, move! They're getting away!"

With a curse, he shoved past the smelly "time traveler" and sprinted after the sound of the Ponies.

Practicing Free Runner - Chasing the Ponies down the stairs
    Spoiler
    Show
    (3d6)[1][2][3](6)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Almost toppling headfirst down the stairway, Marvin manages to land on his rear clutching the handrail. He takes a few breaths and continues down the stairs at his own pace, thank-you-very-much. He begins muttering again about the lack of respect in this timeline as he descends the stairs, following after Jerry.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

John dashes back into the mall, a net launcher now slung over his shoulder. He glances around making sure no one else is around and run off down the hallway to the open door.

"Sorry guys!" He yells. "Had to get reinforcements."

Noticing a lack of reinforcements he stops and looks back out the door. He lets out a loud whistle and an overweight black lab lumbers through.

"This is it Harvey." John tells the clueless looking dog as it makes its way to his side. "I hope u do better than the cat."

Together they run down the hallway.