New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 40 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Can we just do another music thread?

Is this kosher? I could think of a million pretenses for coming up with another thread but y'all know I just wanna talk music.

What've you guys been diggin' lately? I've been listening to a lot of Spoon; most of their older stuff I've never really cared for, but their new album... I think I've mentioned it a few times, it's really unbelievable. The songs themselves are just unbelievably good; the great, lo-fi production doesn't hurt either, although I don't really miss it on their more professionally-recorded stuff.

Bon Iver, too. First got into him back in... 2008, I think, when my only experience with folk was a little CSN, some Neil Young, that sorta thing. I'm still not really a huge folk fan, although everything Vaynor's pointed me towards has been quality; Justin Vernon's stuff is just so intelligent and musical that it's really hard to avoid liking.
    Started listening again because of his new album: it's got some great moments, (Perth, Calgary) and a few... slightly questionable ones (Beth/Rest), and while I still think the consistency and... aliveness, I guess, of the first one trumps the experimentation of the second, their both killer pieces of music.

What haven't I gone on about?...
    How 'bout Black Moth Super Rainbow? Really hard to describe, but very immediate, in a sense... I think they pull off so many weird, unorthodox moves because they just have really, really good songwriting. Hook in Forever Heavy? Chord progression for Born on a Day the Sun Didn't Rise? Goddam, I dunno... quality stuff.

DISCUSS, PLAYGROUND!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Can we just do another music thread?

journey. lots of journey.
    Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
    Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    Damn you, Avocado. i'll never be able to look at a duck again without thinking that they're trying to disguise themselves as dogs.
    Spoiler
    Show

bindrune by Icewalker

banner by araveugnitsuga

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I've lived in Texas for nigh on two decades and I'm just starting to get into country and bluegrass. So, recently:
    Ila Auto (who are from Scandinavia, oddly enough)
    Jerry Reed and Chet Atkins
    Townes Van Zandt (the concert that the first video is from isn't the best, but I love the intimacy of it)
    Hayseed Dixie (the greatest cover band ever)
    Nickel Creek

Other than that, I mostly listen to jazz--if the name didn't make that apparent enough--and I've been on a Lenny Breau (so groovy, hepcats ) kick for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    What've you guys been diggin' lately? I've been listening to a lot of Spoon; most of their older stuff I've never really cared for, but their new album... I think I've mentioned it a few times, it's really unbelievable. The songs themselves are just unbelievably good; the great, lo-fi production doesn't hurt either, although I don't really miss it on their more professionally-recorded stuff.
    I've never gotten into Spoon, but I'll check that out.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2011-08-29 at 09:19 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Red Fang
    Danny Brown
    Greydon Square
    Phantogram

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I love, LOVE LOVE LOVE They Might Be Giants' new album Join Us. It's just great. It's so classic-sounding. A month after its release, I could still listen to it every day. I've been a TMBG fan since I was 3 years old, and I've stopped thinking it's something I should grow out of. Especially with incredibly horribly joyfully mean songs like "When Will You Die?"

What else have I been listening to? The Offspring. Freezepop. Fastball. Reel Big Fish. Ok Go. I like Ok Go a lot too. They've written a cover for the Muppets theme that's great. And it has a great video to accompany it of course, it's Ok Go. One link to one of their videos and I get stuck watching them all.

I'll listen to anything with a memorable tune and singable lyrics. Melody is a must, anything that's just talking or screaming with noise in the background doesn't appeal to me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    I've never gotten into Spoon, but I'll check that out.
    It's sufficiently different from the rest of their stuff that fans of one needn't be fans of the other, my opinion...

Also, The Grims. Psychobilly band from LA. Apparently they're pretty killer live; wish they had more good recorded stuff, though.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I'm still not really a huge folk fan, although everything Vaynor's pointed me towards has been quality
    I'm going to take this as "Vaynor, you should post more awesome folk music, your taste is impeccable."

Some of this stuff might not be technically folk, but it's close enough.

Andrew Jackson Jihad – Self Esteem (folk punk)
    The Dodos – Men (freak folk)
    The Dodos – Horny Hippies
    The Essex Green – This Isn't Farm Life
    Ghost Mice – Please Quit Smoking, Mom (more folk punk!)
    Jay Jay Pistolet – We Are Free
    Johnny Flynn – The Wrote and the Writ
    Mason Jennings – Nothing
    Angelo Debarre – Toi Le Manouche (gypsy jazz!)
    Basia Bulat – Go On

Other (might be folkish, but I didn't feel like categorizing):
    My Morning Jacket – I Won't Cry
    Radical Face – Glory
    Punch Brothers – Don't Need No (bluegrass!)
    The Thermals – Now We Can See (indie punk )
    Motopony – I Am My Body

Also, I've been into Francophone music lately, so here's some of that:
    The Limiñanas – Down Underground
    The Limiñanas – I'm Dead
    La Patère Rose – Decapote
    Les Breastfeeders – Qui A Deux Femmes (french garage rock!)
    Les Breastfeeders – Tout Va Pour Le Mieux Dans Le Pire Des Mondes
    Hôtel Morphée – Novembre Est Morte
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

flight of the conchords
    lonely island
    tenacious d
    florence and the machine
    abner jay

~

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Bon Iver's first album never really did it for me. I think the new one is so beautiful though and I just can't stop listening to it.

I've been listening to a lot of The Protomen because I got their second album finally and it's just such an amazing sonic experience, between the story and the contrast between the first and second albums, and even the first and second halves of the album. They're a great band that's really worth a listen if you like Mega Man (or even if you don't, really, since I knew nothing about Mega Man when I first heard them).

After that there's been a lot of listening to the debut albums from Foster The People (Indie/Alternative), The Vaccines (Pub Rock/Indie), and Cults (Indie), which are all great. The Vaccines have the most consistent album, in that it's consistently good with a few standout moments while the other two have mostly awesome songs with a few trashy ones thrown in.

I rediscovered Prozzak, which is a Canadian pop duo I used to like when I was a kid. I've been going through their three albums, specifically the one from 2005 which I never heard. They're lots of fun, even if they're kind of silly, and they were doing the "Virtual Band" thing back in like 1998, which was neat. I've also revisited Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, which is just an amazing record.

I also finally got my hands on a copy of the Fences/Mansions EP (which is actually only 2 songs) because Fences told all their fans that it was free on Amazon one day. The Mansions are a local band I'd heard of but never listened to, and they're pretty good, but the highlight was definitely the Fences song.

I've been listening to a lot of stuff. I might put a bunch of links here in a bit, or maybe not, depending on my mood.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

For me the past few months has been all about local music. If there's this much awesome work being done just in my city, I can't imagine how many great bands must be out there that never get any attention outside their immediate circle. I've been filming a lot of the live shows in town, and I'm going to come right out and say that I make the very best single-camera live music videos in the world.

So here's a small selection of what's going on around here.

Musical Charis - Catwalk. Hugely energetic 7-piece that are a staple of the local live scene.

Exquisite Corps - Light as a Feather. This band fills out their sound with a cello and 2 violins.

James Cavern - These Words. James is a transplant from London, and he deftly combines rock and soul with his silky smooth voice.

Ricky Berger - Une Petite Berceuse. She is currently recording her 2nd album with help of producer Gordon Raphael, who produced the first 2 albums for The Strokes and Regina Spektor's Soviet Kitsch. Ricky is my bet on the local artist most likely to make it big.

Shannon Curtis - Book of Fiction. Another wonderful songwriter who moved down to L.A. to try to make it big there.

Adrian Bourgeois - Parachutes. A 2nd generation songwriter (his Dad's band had a top-40 song in the 80s) with huge potential. Here he is backed by members of Musical Charis.

Sister Crayon - Other. This act has been getting some broader attention in indie circles. As you can see in this clip, Terra Lopez holds absolutely nothing back at their shows!

Adhara - Naughty. If you like 80s all-girl bands, this modern version is for you.

The Cosmonauts - Sega's Making a Comeback. This band of Rock-n-Roll superheroes combines The Darkness with Comic-Con and somehow makes it all work.

Finally, my friend Autumn Sky with a full set from her debut with a full band at one of the larger venues in town. She's been playing mostly solo for the past 3 years, and last year won the local music award's "Reader's Choice" award for favorite act in town. I was able to capture the full set in a smooth continuous take, so that's how I uploaded it. 6 songs in 28 minutes.

Each video has a link back to the act's home page for more info, and of course, there are many more clips on my youtube page of not just these acts, but others as well.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I haven't had the time to play or listen to music seriously recently, new job and classes starting and all. But what I have done is listen to Africa by Toto on repeat for the last 2 weeks. It never gets old.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Recently I've been listening to a fair bit of Blackfield. Well, I'm always listening to some at least one of Steven Wilson's projects at some point, but in this case it's Blackfield's last album, Welcome to my DNA, in particular. Simply because it's really good, possibly their best.

I also stumbled across the works of Killing Joke a few weeks ago and have proceeded to spend all my time since kicking myself about why it took me so damn long to do this. Especially since I had actually heard of them before, which is surprisingly unusual considering that they've been around for over 30 years and just how ridiculously large an amount of influence they've had. Particularly on Hard Rock and Industrial Rock/Metal (two genres I have more than a passing knowledge of). Yes, they can be a bit conspiracy nuts at times (most obvious on their later albums as Jazz Coleman) but generally it's not easy to find much fault with the body of their work.

In a similar matter of 'recently stumbling across band that's been around for decades' I also rather unexpectedly fell into Ozzric Tentacles. I've never particularly thought of myself as being partial to instrumental electro-pyscadelic rock before, but I've been pleasently surprised so far by what I've heard.

Staying with the instrumentals, I also have God Is An Astronaut's album 'All is Violent, All is Bright' practically on repeat. It's good, is what I'm saying.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Staying with the instrumentals, I also have God Is An Astronaut's album 'All is Violent, All is Bright' practically on repeat. It's good, is what I'm saying.
    Saw 'em a week or so back. Not a huge fan of post-rock, with some exceptions, but I think the genre works a lot better live. I enjoyed myself thoroughly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    For me the past few months has been all about local music. If there's this much awesome work being done just in my city, I can't imagine how many great bands must be out there that never get any attention outside their immediate circle.
    Where in NorCal are you? The SF Bay Area indie scene, which I officially joined on Sunday () needs more fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Bon Iver's first album never really did it for me. I think the new one is so beautiful though and I just can't stop listening to it.
    Maybe it's when I first heard it; I was an angsty, lonely freshman. There was something about the immediacy and intamacy of that album that kinda captured my imagination. The RnB elements, which are a little harder to come by on the self-titled album, kinda blew my mind also.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Been getting a but into Nightwish and Florence & the Machine here.

Strangely enough also found out I'm a Kansas fan.
    Helping others is a good and noble cause, but sometimes the best way you can help them is by lending them a sword and telling them to go slay their own damned dragons.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

I stumbled across Pelican through the related videos bar, and they seem pretty awesome as far as post-rock instrumental goes.

Also have been listening to quite a bit of Voltaire. Very versatile artist, and quite fun.

And finally, Runaround Sue has been on repeat for about an hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    I stumbled across Pelican through the related videos bar, and they seem pretty awesome as far as post-rock instrumental goes.
    They are pretty good, yeah. Although their songs can get a little repetative at times.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Pelican's amazing, if ya ask me; repetitiveness kinda comes with the post-rock territory.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    I've lived in Texas for nigh on two decades and I'm just starting to get into country and bluegrass.
    I've lived in Texas my whole life and only started getting into country two or three years ago. I had assumed all country was that Nashville pop country bulls***, so I never gave the genre a chance.

My opinions changed when someone on a black metal band's forum shared his discovery of a country band called Those Poor Bastards. I figured, if this is grim enough to appease a black metal fan, I've got to check it out. And from there on, it was a downward spiral into the utter darkness of gothic country. My favorites have been the previously mentioned TPB, 16 Horsepower, and a brilliant, twisted Denver musician by the name of Jay Munly
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Pelican's amazing, if ya ask me; repetitiveness kinda comes with the post-rock territory.
    You can argue any Genre is repetitive, especially to an unfamiliar ear.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Where in NorCal are you? The SF Bay Area indie scene, which I officially joined on Sunday () needs more fans.
    Sacramento. It's a very cool and supportive music community around here, really awesome people to be around.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    You can argue any Genre is repetitive, especially to an unfamiliar ear.
    Eh... yes and no.
    Deep House, minimalist classical, and drone are pretty repetitive by definition. Through-composed music, be it classical or modern, does not repeat at all.

Obviously there's a spectrum, and you can make an argument for anything under the sun, but you'd have an uphill struggle claiming Post-Rock doesn't tend towards the repetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    Sacramento. It's a very cool and supportive music community around here, really awesome people to be around.
    Aww, rats. Well, I'll shoot you a PM if we ever get a gig out there.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh... yes and no.
    Deep House, minimalist classical, and drone are pretty repetitive by definition. Through-composed music, be it classical or modern, does not repeat at all.

Obviously there's a spectrum, and you can make an argument for anything under the sun, but you'd have an uphill struggle claiming Post-Rock doesn't tend towards the repetitive.
    I suspect we may be using 'repetitive' to mean different things, but to be honest it's not important enough to get into a discussion.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AThousandWords View Post
    flight of the conchords
    lonely island
    tenacious d
    florence and the machine
    abner jay

~
    Wow, Abner Jay? So that's a total of 5 bands now! Wasn't it just 4 before?

The latest 5 albums I bought:

$O$, by Die Antwoord. South African zef rap! They rap part in English, part in Afrikaans, and all in awesome. They even have a guest rapper rap in Xhosa. So much win.
    D.R.U.G.S., by Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows. My mother dubs this one of the awesomest band names she's ever heard of. Post-hardcore. Pretty cool stuff.
    La Roux, by La Roux. The Brits do electro-pop music like nobody else. Also: her haaaiiir!
    Live it Out, by Metric. Amazing local indie rock new wave band that made it big. Also Emily Haines is cute
    Pins and Needles, by the Birthday Massacre. Another local band, synth-goth this time.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Listening to Jonathan Coulton's new album Artificial Heart. So far the songs aren't as good as my favorite Thing-A-Week songs, but I've only listened to a few of them, and I'm sure I'll warm up to them once I've listened to them 5 or 6 times.
    The album was produced by John Flansburgh, and some of the songs sound too much like TMBG. They may be my favorite band, but JoCo had his own sound that I liked. Perhaps it's the full band that's bothering me.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    I've been listening to a lot of The Protomen because I got their second album finally and it's just such an amazing sonic experience, between the story and the contrast between the first and second albums, and even the first and second halves of the album. They're a great band that's really worth a listen if you like Mega Man (or even if you don't, really, since I knew nothing about Mega Man when I first heard them).
    I saw The Protomen last night at a small venue of not even 100. They destroyed me, they destroyed us all; and for an encore, after much shouting, did covers of Ballroom Blitz and Total Eclipse of the Heart. It was so good.

The guy who plays the villain in the Mega Man drama sang Ballroom Blitz: he is sexy.

My body is sore today from orgiastic bacchinations, and my pants need washing.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2011-09-02 at 10:43 AM. Reason: needed to commit a generic adverb holocaust

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I saw The Protomen last night at a small venue of not even 100. They destroyed me, they destroyed us all; and for an encore, after much shouting, did covers of Ballroom Blitz and Total Eclipse of the Heart. It was so good.

The guy who plays the villain in the Mega Man drama sang Ballroom Blitz: he is really sexy.

My body is very sore today from orgiastic bacchinations, and my pants badly need washing.
    They played Queen's "Princes of the Universe" when I saw them a few weeks ago. So... epic...
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

2011 has been amazing so far. Boris has released THREE albums and another collaboration with Sunn O))) making this the loudest year on record. Circle Takes the Square just released an amazing EP and has an album on the way this fall. The new Low album, C'mon, is brilliant and with the new Pains of Being Pure at Heart album, Belong, makes this a great year for shoegaze. Los Campesinos!, who had my favorite album of 2010, have a november LP release scheduled.

For me the big news is the local Boise, Idaho music scene. My friend Trever Powers is Youth Lagoon, and he just got signed to Fat Possum records. He has an album out soon, but you should check out THIS TRACK that got him noticed by big music.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

So I take it it's a good time to start listening to Shoegaze that isn't Only Shallow.

Any recommendations beyond the ones aforementioned?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

For 2011 shoegaze releases I highly recommend the new Asobi Seksu and Crystal Stilts albums.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post

The guy who plays the villain in the Mega Man drama sang Ballroom Blitz: he is sexy.

My body is sore today from orgiastic bacchinations, and my pants need washing.
    I'm assuming you mean Turbo Lover? Because yes, his voice is the sex.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.