New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Series you can watch a million times and always find something new

So, I'm a pretty diehard FMA fan (especially the first anime), and I've watched it a bunch. That said I recent started watching One Piece. I get to the first few episodes with Usopp, and I'm reminding of a line from Maes Hughes, to roughly paraphrase: "What do you want me to do? Take out my slingshot." Now, this is especially funny when you consider who voices these characters in the English dub. I'm not sure if it was an intentional actor allusions of Funimation's part, but once I made this discovery I like LOL'd for a minute.

This is just one of the ways you know you're doing your job as a storyteller when your audience still finds something new even after they've experienced your story several times. I must have watched the entire original FMA anime a dozen times and only now picked up on that. And there are a lot of stories out there that can do this. I'm still finding new things when I pick up my copy of Watchmen.

So, does anyone else have any similar experience with media? Films, shows, comics, songs, whatever?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Series you can watch a million times and always find something new

Rewatching the first few seasons of Adventure Time is always nice, because often, a element that was used in a one-off episode or a character that appeared once or twice might show up three seasons later as a central plot element.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Rewatching the first few seasons of Adventure Time is always nice, because often, a element that was used in a one-off episode or a character that appeared once or twice might show up three seasons later as a central plot element.
    Oh yeah, I've noticed that in AT too.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Watch Evangelion, but don't focus on the Judeo-Christian symbolism. Rather, focus on ordinary situations the characters are in - every little thing that happens is symbolic of something.

Every. Single. Little. Thing.