New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Can we just do another music thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    My two favourite songwriters will always be Tom Waits
    this... though I must say I prefer his older stuff to his more recent albums.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

2. - Top - End - #572
    Troll in the Playground

Tom Waits is very good at what he does, and I do think that his songwriting is up there with anyone you could name, while John Darnielle is probably the most poetic songwriter I've ever heard.
    Darnielle is the best lyricist I've ever heard, no doubt.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Bugbear in the Playground

...John Darnielle is probably the most poetic songwriter I've ever heard.
    Agreed. He just has such a gift for metaphor. I think the best example is Old College Try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

On the subject of our favorite songwriters, here's a selection of random covers I really like of Townes Van Zandt songs by other great songwriters:

Steve Earle and Justin Townes Earle - Mr. Mudd and Mr. Gold
    Nanci Griffith and Arlo Guthrie - Tecumseh Valley
    Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Nothin'
    Emmylou Harris - Pancho & Lefty
    Guy Clark - To Live's To Fly
    Hayes Carll - Loretta
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeofsaulot View Post
    TOPIC SHIFT!

I'm looking for modern music with lyrics in either Old English or Middle English. For reference, Old English and Middle English look like this and this respectively (the second picture blows up). So I'm not looking for Shakespearian lyrics; I'm going back further than that.
    Is this at all close enough?
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    On the subject of our favorite songwriters, here's a selection of random covers I really like of Townes Van Zandt songs by other great songwriters:
    Steve Von Till of Neurosis covered good ol' Van Zandt in his latest solo album.

Wow, I don't remember Raising Sands being that good. I suppose I judged it when I was far less into country, though. Definitely gonna have to give it another go.

Hah, that was very cool, but not what I'm looking for.

By the way, the end is near, guys. Dubstep + Deathcore. It happened. I am so sorry.
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Steve Von Till of Neurosis covered good ol' Van Zandt in his latest solo album.
    Very cool! I like his voice; I'll try to find that soon.

Wow, I don't remember Raising Sands being that good. I suppose I judged it when I was far less into country, though. Definitely gonna have to give it another go.
    It's a good album, and so is Mighty ReArranger if you haven't already heard that one.

Hah, that was very cool, but not what I'm looking for.
    I'll keep my ears open for you--I want to hear that now too. I just got back from listening to a two and a half hour piano recital (this was the main course), so I'm a little burnt out at the moment.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2012-04-11 at 12:49 AM.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Troll in the Playground

I'm looking for modern music with lyrics in either Old English or Middle English.
    Mediaeval Baebes? Some of their songs are in Middle English.

Also, I think Corvus Corax have a song here and there in Middle English. But they sing in so many different languages, I'm not sure.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

8. - Top - End - #578
    Orc in the Playground

Very cool! I like his voice; I'll try to find that soon.
    Glad you liked it. I'm not sure just how into metal you are, but Neurosis is top-tier stuff if you get the chance to check it out.

It's a good album, and so is Mighty ReArranger if you haven't already heard that one.
    Nope, never even heard of it, but I'll make sure to look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Mediaeval Baebes? Some of their songs are in Middle English.
    It's funny, I actually skipped over them because I saw they featured Latin and German and an assortment of other languages. I guess I gave up too quickly on them, because, looking at their page on the Lyrics Wiki, they definitely do have some Middle English lyrics. Thanks for correcting my rather careless oversight there.

Also, I think Corvus Corax have a song here and there in Middle English. But they sing in so many different languages, I'm not sure.
    Also from looking at the Lyrics Wiki (what a wonderful site) and clicking on a few songs, it seems like it's mostly German lyrics with the occasional Latin, Italian, and French thrown in. I didn't see any Middle English among the song titles. It's possible there is some Middle English in the lyrics to a song with a title in a different language, though. I'll check that out when I have more free time on my hands.
    Last edited by eyeofsaulot; 2012-04-11 at 04:03 PM.

my last.fm
    my rym

9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground

So Carrie Brownstein (from the band Sleater-Kinney and sketch comedy show Portlandia) is in a new band, Wild Flag. They released an album last year and I completely missed it until I saw a caricature of the band in The New Yorker and was like "wow is that a cartoon version of Carrie Brownstein?" Then she ended up on NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and I almost fainted in riot grrrly admiration. I love Sleater-Kinney and have the biggest crush on Brownstein, and I'm finally listening to Wild Flag and it's a pretty great album thus far.

Here's them playing a song live. They're kinda post-punk I guess. If you like Sleater-Kinney and a lot Riot Grrrl, you might dig it.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

10. - Top - End - #580
    Firbolg in the Playground

Am I the only one for whom the www.asylumemporium.com checkout won't let me change the country from America to, like, anything? I've tried Canada and the Cayman Isles just to see if it would work, but it won't let me. AND I WANT EMILIE AUTUMN'S NEW SINGLE. And it won't let me get it.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Am I the only one for whom the www.asylumemporium.com checkout won't let me change the country from America to, like, anything? I've tried Canada and the Cayman Isles just to see if it would work, but it won't let me. AND I WANT EMILIE AUTUMN'S NEW SINGLE. And it won't let me get it.
    Being the upright, upstanding citizen that I am, I won't mention... alternative means of getting it. I also won't mention that I have got it, and that it's pretty great

Incidentally, she's the only artist I've ever found who can adequately cover Bohemian Rhapsody. No-one else has quite got the style or the vocal range. Other than Freddie.

Also, I'm still waiting for the Asylum to be available over here. I'm really interested in reading it.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

12. - Top - End - #582
    Troll in the Playground

13. - Top - End - #583
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, Faulty, or anyone else who happens to like Have A Nice Life, have you actually gotten around to listening to Giles Corey yet?

Because it's really (straight up, from about 6:26 to the end of the song I think that I'm experiencing one of those "perfect moments in music" sort of things), really good as far as shoegazey doom-folk albums go. The only problem I have with it is that I like to sleep to music and I'm literally incapable of sleeping through the Voors Head Device portion of The Haunting Presence.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

Giving it a listen. Liking what I'm hearing thus far, shall edit with full opinions in a bit...

15. - Top - End - #585

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Being the upright, upstanding citizen that I am, I won't mention... alternative means of getting it. I also won't mention that I have got it, and that it's pretty great

Incidentally, she's the only artist I've ever found who can adequately cover Bohemian Rhapsody. No-one else has quite got the style or the vocal range. Other than Freddie.

Also, I'm still waiting for the Asylum to be available over here. I'm really interested in reading it.
    Yeah, I always buy music unless the artist is either already rich, or is a a jerk.

I've heard the song from live stuff before, it's pretty great. FLAG is gonna be an awesome album!

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Orc in the Playground

Giles Corey is really cool and I wholeheartedly second any recommendations of that album.

Also popping in to tell you all about 'The Spectrum of Distraction' by Aidan Baker because y'all need this album. It's made up of 97 (usually) short tracks of varying styles, and is designed to be played on shuffle; every track flows seamlessly into every other track, and they're of occasionally wildly varying styles. There's funky stuff, metal-esque stuff, droney things... but it all goes together beautifully no matter which two tracks are played after each other, and the experience is different every listen. Basically it's an interesting concept pulled off very well, and is pretty amazing. One of my albums of the year so far.

He's also another one of those damn Torontonians. (Torontons? Torontians? Torontoers?) What is it with your city and good music, Gwyn?

edit for advice: don't post Captain Beefheart in the SMBG Rate the Song thread. I appear to have killed it by doing so :V
    Last edited by Snares; 2012-04-14 at 11:05 PM.
    cool avatar by araveugnitsuga

----

Spoiler
    Show

and what

17. - Top - End - #587

Torontonians.

And we just kinda roll that way, Snares.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'm not sure what it is about this song, but it just charms the heck out of me. Toy Piano and Acoustic Guitar from a couple of young local performers going by the moniker 99, 100. "Heather".

Another songwriter still in high school that keeps blowing me away is Nat Lefkoff. Here he is with "What's the Truth?" and "The Long Wait".

And I posted it in another thread I think, but here's the music video I directed for yet another high school phenom, Parie Wood. "Freeloader".

I'm in the middle of shooting a music video for another local artist, and I've just made arrangements to produce a series of live music shoots at one of the clubs for the local cable access channel using their remote production truck (basically a full 3-camera TV studio on wheels).

Fun times ahead on the local music scene!
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ogre in the Playground

Have we determined whether or not we can just do another music thread yet?

20. - Top - End - #590

Nah, I think we need another 30 pages of discussion before we can decide on that...
    We work slowly in these here parts.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

Damn. I was hoping to discuss the finer points of music with somebody. Some dreams are like wine glasses at Jewish weddings, though, and are born to be crushed.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Troll in the Playground

Can we get a new Outkast album yet?

Also I will doing a Coachella 2012 rundown eventually on the bands that I saw.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

23. - Top - End - #593

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Also I will doing a Coachella 2012 rundown eventually on the bands that I saw.
    You were, like, actually there?
    I hate you.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Orc in the Playground

important cool 2012 albums update:

Voices from the Lake - Voices from the Lake. Another one to add to the 'things to listen to while driving down empty motorways at night while it's pouring with rain' category. Neat, dark, understated, watery ambient techno. And that's techno in the actual sense of the word techno, not in the 'lol techno that's what all electronic music is called, rite' sense of the word. If you like Loscil (well, 'Plume', anyway. It's very reminiscent of Plume to my ears but not very much like his other stuff) and stuff like that you absolutely have to pick this up.

fffffffff people going to Coachella. Damn Atlantic Ocean. The crucial question: did you see the weird-ass hologram of Tupac
    Last edited by Snares; 2012-04-16 at 11:16 PM.
    cool avatar by araveugnitsuga

----

Spoiler
    Show

and what

25. - Top - End - #595
    Troll in the Playground

Yes I was actually there. No I did not see the hologram of Tupac, because there was no way in hell I was going to see Dr. Dre, Snoop, Eminem, and Wiz-Khalifa, because 3 out of 4 of those rappers are godawful. I did see it a video of it though. Odd.

Edit: Also I tried to avoid huge concentrations of drug users, which is why seeing Neon Indian was a mistake that I will cover later.
    Last edited by Raistlin1040; 2012-04-17 at 02:05 AM.
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Edit: Also I tried to avoid huge concentrations of drug users, which is why seeing Neon Indian was a mistake that I will cover later.
    What is Coachella if not a huge concentration of drug users?

27. - Top - End - #597
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    What is Coachella if not a huge concentration of drug users?
    Well SOME of us care about getting to see Jeff Mangum. I for one want to remember it.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Troll in the Playground

I dunno what they're teaching kids in DARE or in freshman year health class these days, but most drugs do not work that way.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Troll in the Playground

Coachella 2012 Friday Round-Up
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll provide links to some songs by each band, generally the most popular ones I can think of to get a good feel for the band's most popular sound.

Our day started out pretty crappy because my best friend's wristband didn't work the first time we tried it. After two hours of walking from customer service kiosk to customer service kiosk, we finally got a replacement wristband and got inside. However, we missed seeing Abe Vigoda, which sucked.

However, we did catch most of Wolf Gang, who were good. They were a little shaky at the start, and their slower songs didn't work out very well, but they did the upbeat songs really well and had a pretty good energy for being one of the first bands of the entire festival, and playing to a small audience.

We stuck around in the same tent to see Other Lives. I didn't expect much from Other Lives, but I have their debut and it's decent, so I figured we'd check them out. It turned out that they had a great show with a lot of energy even with their post-punk folk music being so downbeat. They were really really good and sent us off on a really good note.

I ended up confusing Yuck (who were at the festival) with YACHT (who were not). I knew Yuck, although not as well as YACHT, but I was pleasantly surprised. A lot of bands who use heavier distortion and noise sound awful live, but they were very meticulous about getting their amps to sound perfect. It slowed down the show a bit, but it led to a really good ending product. They had a really tight sound and put on a really good show.

Neon Indian was definitely a mixed bag. I wasn't expecting him/them to pull out real instruments, but the songs were done pretty much live, with the occasional loop from a laptop thrown in. The music was really good and the live arrangements were cool and different. However, it was basically the only show going on on the entire ground for a time, so absolutely everyone was there, which made it A) overcrowded and B) unsavory. Still a great show.

I've never really been a fan of GIRLS, partially because Vomit is a pretty annoying song that is on my indie stations all too frequently. I also think their sound is pretty same-y. However, their live versions of songs I'm not that into were spectacular, and the songs I already liked were even better. Their live show was really dynamic and cool and I'm glad my best friend convinced me to go. The live version of Vomit gave me chills.

The Arctic Monkeys were really disappointing. I've never listened to them much, and neither had my friend, but we'd heard lots of good things and had nothing else to do. Since getting home, I've found that their studio recordings aren't bad, but they were not good live. Their sound blended too much and the vocals weren't good and they seemed to be trying too hard at everything. Disappointing.

I'm not sure if this is just a musical blind spot, or if their popularity in America never matched their popularity in Britain, but I'd never had much of an opinion on Pulp, or even listened to them much. Still, we were winding down after Arctic Monkeys and figured we'd stay at the Main Stage and check out this British band that we'd only vaguely heard of. Turns out we got a great recommendation from the internet. The songs were awesome, the showmanship during the songs was great, the banter between the songs was witty and enjoyable. Easily the best show we saw on Friday and probably my top 5 of the entire festival.

The Black Keys were the Friday headlining act. In terms of stage presence, they were very disappointing, because they didn't do much to interact with the fans or look particularly fun. Musically, however, they were great. Their songs were amped up versions of the album versions and were cool. Despite getting stuck in a giant pit of people and taking about 10 minutes to climb out, we enjoyed them (although I wouldn't have minded cutting 30 minutes off their set and passing it over to Pulp).
    Last edited by Raistlin1040; 2012-04-17 at 06:43 PM.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Orc in the Playground

As you all probably know by now, Adam Yauch passed away.

But did we need to have a second travesty?

my last.fm
    my rym