New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Can we just do another music thread?

found this little thing.. not my genre, but it's got something.
    Fishbone
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

So, it seems we may be getting a new My Bloody Valentine album soon-ish. Possibly. Perhaps.

I haven't yet been able to process this enough to form any coherent thoughts on it.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Bugbear in the Playground

Man, a new MBV album would be fantastic! Of course, I'm not holding my breath because this is not the first time I've heard the "halfway through mixing" statement from Mr. Shields.

On the otherhand, shoegazer is popular these days in a way that it hasn't been since the early 90s, so the time would be right....

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Anyway, probably all people know this song thanks to The Muppet Show, but few people know that Piero Umiliani was the original composer.
    I'm shocked that isn't a household name. It slips right off the tongue, like a doe on a frozen lake.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Troll in the Playground

New How To Destroy Angels EP out in about a week.

This is good news. This is the goodest news.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

6. - Top - End - #756
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    Man, a new MBV album would be fantastic! Of course, I'm not holding my breath because this is not the first time I've heard the "halfway through mixing" statement from Mr. Shields.

On the otherhand, shoegazer is popular these days in a way that it hasn't been since the early 90s, so the time would be right....

Speaking of, Asobi Seksu and Boris are releasing a split amagawd excite.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

7. - Top - End - #757
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    I'm shocked that isn't a household name. It slips right off the tongue, like a doe on a frozen lake.
    It happens. Even if he composed scores for almost 150 movies in barely 26 years (according to IMDb), they didn't get as much recognition as for example Fistful of Dollars, which along with other Sergio Leone movies gave Morricone his current fame.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    found this little thing.. not my genre, but it's got something.
    Fishbone
    Fishbone are great! Check out their songs "Alcoholic", "Party at Ground Zero", "Skankin to the Beat" and "Lying Ass Bitch" which may get censored but that's the song na,e

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    So, it seems we may be getting a new My Bloody Valentine album soon-ish. Possibly. Perhaps.

I haven't yet been able to process this enough to form any coherent thoughts on it.
    Aye! I'm hopeful on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    Speaking of, Asobi Seksu and Boris are releasing a split amagawd excite.
    And this is just awesome.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

9. - Top - End - #759

Huh. I dig Boris a lot (the split with Sunn O))) is awesome). I opened for Asobi Seksu AGES ago (05 or 06 I think)...didn't seem very shoegazery to me. More basic indie pop...wasn't all that impressed or interested so I never looked into their records. Maybe I should give them another shot.

Next Tuesday Earth is playing...and Steve Severin (formerly of Siouxsie and the Banshees) is doing a live score to the film Vampyr. Want to see both, but probably won't be able to go to either.

Also stoked about the new How To Destroy Angels ep. And maybe one day, an album!

10. - Top - End - #760
    Troll in the Playground

Thoughts on the new HTDA EP? I'm listening to it and I dig "Ice Age" but overall I'm not blown away.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

11. - Top - End - #761
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    Thoughts on the new HTDA EP? I'm listening to it and I dig "Ice Age" but overall I'm not blown away.
    I like it. Maandig's voice is as smooth as ever, and I do like this slightly disjointed sound they have ever since Ghosts. Not quite as good as the self-titled, though. Sucks that it's so short, but there is supposed to be a full-length somewhere along the line. Nice and calming. It's pretty solid.
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2012-11-15 at 01:50 AM.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

12. - Top - End - #762

Bad vocalists are better than good vocalists, I think. I've heard effortless note hitting my entire life, I like it when you can tell the vocalist is earning those notes and even when they **** it up it lends a strange sort of class and distinctiveness to it. Freddie Mercury gets old after fifteen minutes, Leonard Cohen I could listen to forever.

13. - Top - End - #763

I also prefer Cohen to Mercury (thought I wouldn't call him a bad singer), but I also think that Mercury is a technically better singer. Of course, they're so stylistically different it's tough to compare. But the important thing here is to distinguish between quality and taste. You can recognize the quality in things you don't like, and also recognize the lack in things you do.

All that said, I live with a former professional opera singer. There's nothing "effortless" about it, but being confident in your intonation leaves you more room for expression. But I get what you're saying about singers that try really hard and as a lousy singer myself, I appreciate your sentiment

14. - Top - End - #764

I also prefer Cohen to Mercury (thought I wouldn't call him a bad singer), but I also think that Mercury is a technically better singer. Of course, they're so stylistically different it's tough to compare. But the important thing here is to distinguish between quality and taste. You can recognize the quality in things you don't like, and also recognize the lack in things you do.

All that said, I live with a former professional opera singer. There's nothing "effortless" about it, but being confident in your intonation leaves you more room for expression. But I get what you're saying about singers that try really hard and as a lousy singer myself, I appreciate your sentiment
    Doesn't matter if it is effortless it just has to come across that way to bore me. Maybe they put a lot of effort into appearing effortless, I dunno. Personal preference here; a) tough notes sound better if they feel earned, b) occasional duds and screwups add to atmosphere.

This is possibly the reason I appear to be the only person who liked Titus Andronicus' cover of They Might Be Giants.
    Last edited by DJ Yung Crunk; 2012-11-17 at 01:28 AM.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Troll in the Playground

Depends on the type of music, I guess. If an opera singer hits a bad note, the whole auditorium cringes. When a rock vocalist does, it's kind of ignored. When the local acoustic guitar kid at the corner cafe does it, it kinda adds to the charm (I guess).

I've had some vocal training, soloist in a choir and all that, so I can appreciate faultless singing, knowing what goes into it. And I'm never really sure how much effort someone like Warren Zevon put into sounding like, you know, Warren Zevon. Not that it stops me enjoying the hell out of Warren Zevon, of course.

16. - Top - End - #766

I have a friend who sings very loudly and without any pitch. It fits his style though. Kinda like... the Violent Femmes' vocalist. Pitch optional, but lots of emotion, and LOTS of variation in volume, from very quiet to VERY LOUD, but not like screamy, just straight-up volume.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Troll in the Playground

You know what'd be fun? 3x3s.
    Spoiler
    Show

Head here, insert your last.fm username, set to 1 month, and post the results.

So, what've y'all been listening to?

18. - Top - End - #768

Don't do Last.fm, so I'll have to cook one up by hand. But that Olivia Tremor Control album is one of my all time favorites, and Pod is a good record too (back when Tanya was in the Breeders!)

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

I love Pod, it's one of my favorite records. I'm a huge Steve Albini fanboy, and I think Pod is his best work. Absolutely my favorite sounding album, the production complements the songs flawlessly.
    I only got into Olivia Tremor Control last week (overcoming an Elephant Six phobia left over from high school), but that record's been blowing my mind. Definite all-time-favorite potential. I don't know how they did it but gorramit I want to.

And if you don't last.fm now, I highly recommend it if you're chart and list-inclined.
    Last edited by Moff Chumley; 2012-11-19 at 09:09 PM.

20. - Top - End - #770

I will see your Pod and raise you Low's "Secret Name" My favorite Albini recorded record ever. I'm a big fan of Big Black too. But either way, the man has been involved in some amazing records and you have to respect his...um...uncompromising philosophy.

And I'm right there with you with most of the Elephant Six stuff. I've always ALMOST liked most of it. But Black Foliage does everything all the other related bands have tried to do, but just nails it out of the park. The other albums are, well, I almost like them.

Not really a fan of charts, so I'll continue to avoid last.fm But I love talking about and sharing music!

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

My favourite Steve Albini-involved record is one of his own; Songs About F**king.

Just love that noise rock.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

Even if you don't like country or blues, check out Scott H. Biram. I bought a Bloodshot Records compilation album at some show months ago and I just got around to listening to it. The first song on it is Blood, Sweat, and Murder by Biram, and it took me a couple of days before I heard track two, I was so addicted to it.

Don't do Last.fm, so I'll have to cook one up by hand.
    Same, though I'm far too incompetent for that. I've been getting really into Tallis, Byrd, and Dowland for the past month. It's that cool midpoint in music when composers weren't trying to use music to cure spider bites anymore, but they hadn't tried to make a science out of it yet either. It just sounds nice.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

23. - Top - End - #773

Spoiler
    Show

Top, Left to Right
    The Suburbs by Arcade Fire.
    Eye Contact by Gang Gang Dance
    Gorillaz, by the Gorillaz

Middle, Left to Right
    xx, by the xx
    Questamation, by Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker
    Yer Favourites, by the Tragically Hip

Bottom, Left to Right
    Classics, by Ratatat
    Wave of Mutilation: Best of the Pixies
    Dog Man Star by Suede.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

24. - Top - End - #774

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Eye Contact by Gang Gang Dance
    Wanna hang out? I like you already. I snuck Adult Goth into a friend's party playlist. Now I just have to wait for him to have a party.

25. - Top - End - #775

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    Wanna hang out? I like you already. I snuck Adult Goth into a friend's party playlist. Now I just have to wait for him to have a party.
    Yo, my love affair with that album.

Basically, Glass Jar was on the Guardian's top 40-or-something songs of 2011 list, which my dad showed me because it was awesome and had so much good stuff. And I was like "huh this is cool" and kept it in the back of my head for a while. Then I was going vinyl shopping, and I saw how beautiful the cover is. Like, see that cover? Now imagine it vinyl-sized. And still high definition. Oh man. So I got the vinyl and just fell in love. It just felt so fresh and original, taking so many influences from across the world.

Saw them live here in Montreal a month or two ago. They got on stage at like 2 in the morning, it was awesome.

Do you know Austra?

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

26. - Top - End - #776

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Do you know Austra?
    No but if someone who likes Gang Gang Dance likes them then I am interested.

27. - Top - End - #777

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    No but if someone who likes Gang Gang Dance likes them then I am interested.
    Best songs: Lose It, The Choke, Beat And The Pulse. But Lose It is one of my favourite songs of all time.

I also saw them live in Montreal. Life is kind to me. That was before I knew any of their songs, it was a free show and I knew them by reputation, their drummer also drums in another band that I like. I left with Lose It stuck in my head for a WEEK.
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2012-11-20 at 12:13 AM.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

I haven't used last.fm in ages, so I'll see if I can come up with something by hand. It'll probably contain a fair amount of prog though.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Troll in the Playground

Got m' list.

But my browser is throwing a hissy fit, so here's the text:

Einherjer - Norrøn
    Orphaned Land - Mabool
    Lumsk - Åsmund Frægdegjevar

Dargaard - Eternity Rites
    Moonsorrow - Kivenkantaja
    Kamelot - Silverthorn

Svartsot - Mulmets Viser
    Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts
    Moonspell - Darkness and Hope

Yeah. This really needs to go into the metal thread.

Also whoa. Didn't expect to see quite these bunch of albums.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

Here we go.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Yeah. This really needs to go into the metal thread.
    Nah, we could always use something to dilute the hipsterness of this thread a bit