New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Can we just do another music thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    Someone's been reading youtube comments again, haven't they?
    I had literally this exact comment all typed out on my computer screen before deciding not to bother with actually posting it. Those youtube comments do get quite obnoxious.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    (prime example being Sabrina).
    don't go dissing a national treasure now...

no, I can't say that with a straight face.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

3. - Top - End - #873
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    Nope. Have the derp herp add-on. Not that where I did hear it is much better, mind.

Also, guys, what exactly makes "synth pop"? Is Kraftwerk synth pop? Is Grace Jones synth pop? Is Purity Ring?
    I think of stuff like The Knife. I actually like pop. Taylor Swift all the way.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground

Synth pop proper was Ultravox, Gary Numan, Depeche Mode, Soft Cell. That kind of thing.

Soft Cell is the third best "soft" band after Soft Machine and The Soft Boys.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Bugbear in the Playground

Synthpop is exactly that...stylistically pop music (verse, chorus, maybe a bridge, maybe a break) that's focused on a synth. I'd go a step further and point out synths that aren't trying to sound like other instruments, but that's not really a necessity. I do think Kraftwork sometimes had songs I'd call synthpop, but they're definitely more krautrock (see also: Can, Faust, Neu, early Tangerine Dream, etc).

Again, variable genres, New Order often get called synthpop, and sometimes they are (Bizarre Love Triangle, True Faith) and sometimes they aren't (the whole of Movement, Regret, really half of any given album is straight up rock). Erasure is one of my favorites (one day I will be half the electronic musician Vince Clarke is), but their biggest hit (A Little Respect) is an acoustic guitar focused song (actually, they put out a really great acoustic album/live album/dvd). There are some modern synthpop bands that are pretty good too; I like Iris a lot, and Blue October (there's a rock band by that name too...not them) are pretty good. Just looked them up, Iris' first album was 12 years ago. Forget me calling them modern...I am old and out of touch!

Soft Cell definitely rocks (I like them more than the other two Softs, but that's me). "The Art of Falling Apart" is a great song. Marc Almond also did a great album with J.G. Thirlwell (Foetus), but it's more piano/torchsong than it could have potentially been. I would have loved a full out crazy industrial/swing Foetus record with vocal duets by Thirlwell and Almond.

Have I really gone this far without mentioning OMD? Shame on me! And Grace Jones covered the Normal, so she's alright in my book!

6. - Top - End - #876
    Halfling in the Playground

I just had an abridged version of the whole "electronic stuff has no REAL talent" conversation on a Deftones album video on Youtube. Pointed out how Deftones have a pretty great rhythm section, and someone responded that they hate all this modern "manufactured" crap.

I disagree, personally. I've always thought a well-programmed drum machine can easily do just as good as the best "traditional" drummer, if not better, in terms of impact.
    This is what you get when you turn your back
    A clear blue sky turning dirty black

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OhJohnNo View Post
    I just had an abridged version of the whole "electronic stuff has no REAL talent" conversation on a Deftones album video on Youtube. Pointed out how Deftones have a pretty great rhythm section, and someone responded that they hate all this modern "manufactured" crap.

I disagree, personally. I've always thought a well-programmed drum machine can easily do just as good as the best "traditional" drummer, if not better, in terms of impact.
    I disagree. I feel that a live drummer can add far more than any drum machine. The best example I can think of is Jojo Mayer, one of the best contemporary drummers (in a technical sense) playing with/a part of Nerve. Here's a link to one of their live performances, I'd recommend listening to the entire thing, but around 5 minutes is where he really takes off. There isn't anything particularly different in essence between the sound made by a drum machine and a drummer like Jojo, but I've simply yet to hear anyone with the rhythmic and drumming skill of a drum master program a drum machine.
    Last edited by Weezer; 2012-12-14 at 09:16 PM.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OhJohnNo View Post

They are just tools; they have no inherent artistic value and are only as effective in the art of making art as the hand that wields them.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Troll in the Playground

How do you think Astrobrite'd sound with live drums? How about Loveless? Have a Nice Life?

Fine, probably, but the point is drum machines offer stylistic choices that acoustic drums don't, and trying to say one is better than the other is like saying basses are better than guitars.

Which they are. Never mind.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think using anything from Loveless as an example of drum machines being useful as an effect is valid- the amount of production that went into that album, well, it's nothing more and nothing less than a perfect representation of what Kevin Shields had in mind when he started recording it.

Now, using Big Black as an example...
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

11. - Top - End - #881

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    I disagree. I feel that a live drummer can add far more than any drum machine. The best example I can think of is Jojo Mayer, one of the best contemporary drummers (in a technical sense) playing with/a part of Nerve. Here's a link to one of their live performances, I'd recommend listening to the entire thing, but around 5 minutes is where he really takes off. There isn't anything particularly different in essence between the sound made by a drum machine and a drummer like Jojo, but I've simply yet to hear anyone with the rhythmic and drumming skill of a drum master program a drum machine.
    I'd say there is actually a noticeable difference between the sound of a normal drummer and of most drum machines - I find the latter more satisfying, personally. When used properly they can create wonderful textures that can't really be replicated with normal drums. Moff Chumley is right, basically (and basses ARE better than guitars!).

I like both styles, though. Jojo Mayer was very good in that video, although it did seem a little bit like he was just showing off. I often like bands that combine the two.

(Now I wonder how many people are gonna stop taking me seriously because I tacitly admitted to liking Linkin Park...)
    Last edited by OhJohnNo; 2013-02-21 at 09:19 AM.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Firbolg in the Playground

Re: Drum machine vs live drummer, there's this one group, Trust, who I've seen twice. Once with a live drummer, once with her being replaced with an extra synth-player (because she was touring with Austra, her main band).
    The difference was HUGE. The show was so much more interesting and dynamic when there was a live drummer.

Another example, one of my favourite groups USS added a drummer to their lineup a year ago, and it only added to their live show, giving them that much more energy and drive. The music doesn't change much, but it changes small things and emphases and such
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Troll in the Playground

I need to share something I found thanks to Cracked of all places:
    J Rabbit (also this) - they do a lot of good covers and some original compositions as well. Really solid skills and so much positivity.

On an unrelated note, I recently stumbled upon Joan Baez - amazing voice.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

14. - Top - End - #884

No one can tell what indie rock enthusiasts will like next. Apparently Gucci Mane is a big deal now (as well he should be). Imagine fans of Grizzly Bear in 2009 saying "Yeah! Gucci Mane! I love trap rap, man"

Just wouldn't happen.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    No one can tell what indie rock enthusiasts will like next. Apparently Gucci Mane is a big deal now (as well he should be). Imagine fans of Grizzly Bear in 2009 saying "Yeah! Gucci Mane! I love trap rap, man"

Just wouldn't happen.
    funny how I honestly have no idea what you're talking about and the only thing that comes to mind is this

All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

16. - Top - End - #886

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    funny how I honestly have no idea what you're talking about and the only thing that comes to mind is this

What was ambiguous about my statement? It's not like I prettied it up with flowery prose or anything. Why should I give trap more effort than it gives me?

I kid. I love trap.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Troll in the Playground

So I'm using MusicBrainz Picard, an tagging and sorting program, to pointlessly rearrange my music library. I'm going from My Music -> Artist -> Album to what I perceive as a more neatly organized My Music -> Album with the format "Artist (Year) - Album Title [bitrate (if I have it in multiple formats)]".

Spoiler
    Show

Just thought I'd share in a weak attempt to rationalize how pointless this is.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

18. - Top - End - #888

I still foolishly persist with the fiendish, mutating being that is iTunes.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Troll in the Playground

I also like to group my albums chronologically by artist. I like to see what comes after what. I use Magic MP3 Tagger, but it only works with mp3s, which is obviously not ideal.

I refuse to allow iTunes in the same room as any of my computers. I'm worried they might, like, get infected.

On the drum machine thing, some bands seem to work fine with drum machines. Sisters of Mercy had a drum machine for a long while without any major complaints. Inkubus Sukkubus I think have always had a drum machine. And for their music, it works. It probably helps if the drums aren't a major focus in the music.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

20. - Top - End - #890
    Troll in the Playground

I use iTunes because I have an iPod, but I'd prefer to have more control over how I sort my music.

Still undecided as to whether to split off folders by letter, i.e.:

A
    -> Abruptum (2004) - Casus luciferi
    B
    -> Bikini Kill (1996) - Reject All American
    etc.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

21. - Top - End - #891

Drummers versus drum machines. There's a time and a place for both, of course. I went through a period of my life where I was anti-drum in general
    (listened to a lot of ambient and folk music during that period), but even then I still respected people like Bill Bruford.

And again, context and genre is important. I saw synthpop band Soviet live a few years back, and they had a live drummer. It was a complete detriment to their music (or maybe the drummer just sucked). Compare/contrast, I saw Dead Voices On Air a couple times, and my favorite show he had a live drummer. Depending on the material they play, the Legendary Pink Dots are sometimes better with or without a live drummer.

As a musician, it's nice having a drummer that can keep a damn beat (insert other drummer jokes here), but on the other hand, if the band is tight, it's good to let the music "breathe", letting tempos ebb and flow as it feels right. But again, you need a really tight band to get that going on. A WELL programmed drum machine can handle any tempo and meter changes, but in a fixed fashion. My current band, I use a sequencer that can play a looped pattern until I hit a footswitch, so any tempo and meter changes can be handled within individual patterns, but need to be worked out ahead of time. We can still vamp on a solo, if the mood strikes, or repeat a chorus, etc, and being foot-controlled, I can focus on guitars and such. That said, in an ideal world, we'd still get a live percussionist to play along, leaving the drum machine to handle more electronic-style rhythms and textures.

Either way, drum machines have come a long way, and you can do some pretty astonishing things with them if you take the time. I'll also mention that anyone who actually is a drummer can probably program them a hell of a lot better than someone like me, so there's that too.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Troll in the Playground

On a slightly different (mild understatement) topic, anyone into psychedelic rock? Tame Impala seems to be bringing the genre some love these days, which is fine by me. I'll make a psychedelic chart sooner or later; suffice to say Jefferson Airplane is gonna be on it. I wouldn't call After Bathing at Baxter's perfect, but it's within a stone's throw. A heavy, non-aerodynamic stone.

Also, favorite Neil Young albums? Harvest or (especially) After the Gold Rush are, of course, perennial favorites but On the Beach edges 'em out. Or Mirrorball if I'm feeling contradictory.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ogre in the Playground

I was always partial to Zuma.

Also, I love drum machines. Mine always shows up to practice on time, and is never hungover. Easily the most reliable member of the band.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Troll in the Playground

On a slightly different (mild understatement) topic, anyone into psychedelic rock? Tame Impala seems to be bringing the genre some love these days, which is fine by me. I'll make a psychedelic chart sooner or later; suffice to say Jefferson Airplane is gonna be on it. I wouldn't call After Bathing at Baxter's perfect, but it's within a stone's throw. A heavy, non-aerodynamic stone.
    I saw The Devil's Blood support Watain and Behemoth and enjoyed their music. Current 93's Aleph at Hallucinatory Mountain is also psychadelic-ish. I tend to prefer that kinda thing in my ambient or drone rather than my rock, though.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

25. - Top - End - #895
    Troll in the Playground

Have you heard any neo-psychedelic or drone rock stuff? I think you could dig Spacemen 3, Dead Skeletons, or Brian Jonestown Massacre.

DROOOOOOOOOOOONE

26. - Top - End - #896
    Troll in the Playground

Jefferson Airplane is great and sure is trippy at times. How else would you explain Surrealistic Pillow?

What about things like Acid Mothers Temple or Electric Moon? Is it part of this genre or some other? From older bands, would Head Machine qualify? Or for that matter how one would place someone, who wrote Spaced Out?
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ogre in the Playground

Have you heard any neo-psychedelic or drone rock stuff? I think you could dig Spacemen 3, Dead Skeletons, or Brian Jonestown Massacre.

DROOOOOOOOOOOONE
    I love anything and everything droney- the first song to kindle the love was Heroin by the Velvet Underground; thanks for linking these.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

28. - Top - End - #898

Pretty good year for pop, I gotta say. While the 21st century has had consistently awesome years for alternative and underground music pop music quality is rather spotty, so it's always nice when a good year rolls around. I'll be spinning Taylor Swift, Future, Carly Rae Jepsen, Usher, Miguel, Nicki Minaj, Passion Pit and quite a few others well into 2013, I think.
    Last edited by DJ Yung Crunk; 2012-12-21 at 01:18 AM.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Troll in the Playground

Oh Hell. Diary of Dreams released a new album this year. How did I miss this?

And apparently it's an acoustic album of some of their previous songs? Huh. Well, I'm intrigued.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

30. - Top - End - #900

I am all about psychedelic music, past and present, and definitely into drones. I feel like Espers should be mentioned here, as well as Flying Saucer Attack. I grew up on early Pink Floyd, so mind-altering music is pretty much in my blood!

Have I gone on about my borderline obsession with The Legendary Pink Dots/Tear Garden/Edward Ka-Spel? If not, now would be the time for that.

Pretty into psych folk too, from the Incredible String Band to Circulus.