New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 62122232425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Can we just do another music thread?

On the drone subject, allow me to wish you all a very Jesu Christmas.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Another from my favorite local artist, Ricky Berger. She just performed as a special guest at the big art museum in town, and with a beautiful stage and sound setup, and a grand piano to play with, she put on a tour-de-force 90-minute set that will melt hearts everywhere. I'm hoping she will agree to post the entire concert, but for now, a very short and sweet sample of a song just over a minute long. The Things I Couldn't See.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ettin in the Playground

All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

4. - Top - End - #904
    Bugbear in the Playground

When I listen to good kid, m.A.A.d. city I'm not hearing this profound, intelligent 21st century masterpiece everyone else is. I believe hip hop has found its Born in the USA, ladies and gents! Terribly overhyped mediocrity.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    When I listen to good kid, m.A.A.d. city I'm not hearing this profound, intelligent 21st century masterpiece everyone else is. I believe hip hop has found its Born in the USA, ladies and gents! Terribly overhyped mediocrity.
    You're gonna complain about terribly overhyped mediocrity not ten posts after professing your affection for Taylor Swift, Carly Rae Jepsen, Usher, Miguel, Nicki Minaj, and Passion Pit?

(Future is pretty cool. He gets a pass.)

Anyhow, let's discuss demographics. I am not in the target audience for Taylor Swift's music, therefore I don't think there's anything inappropriate or out of line about my inability to enjoy the stuff. I know she has plenty of listeners outside of her main demographic, and there's nothing wrong with that, but you guys are the exception. I'm not gonna complain about Taylor Swift (more than I already have) because what's the point?

Singapore Sling, on the other hand. I am squarely within their target audience and I find them loathsome. I will complain about Singapore Sling 'til the cows come home because if they were better at what they did, I would enjoy them, but they suck so I don't.

So, Crunk, I have to imagine you're not within The Boss's target audience. Perhaps there's absolutely nothing wrong with his music; you just don't have the background or aesthetic sensibilities required to enjoy it? Could the same be the case for gkmc?

To sum up, opinions are like *******s. Everyone has them, and they're often fuzzy and sometimes smell bad.

6. - Top - End - #906

I've been listening to Slint's 'Spiderland' lately. I'm rather liking it, except for virtually every time the singer does anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    I've been listening to Slint's 'Spiderland' lately. I'm rather liking it, except for virtually every time the singer does anything.
    Ah man, I love the vocals on that album. They're far from pretty, and there's a lot of genuinely ugly moments, but I can't imagine performances more perfect for the album, and more complementary to the lyrics. It's an album that anyone with enough conviction and enough investment in the music and lyrics could've sung, and that's what I love about it.

In any case, I shared your opinion on my first handful of listens. It's a hell of a grower.

8. - Top - End - #908

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    -snip-
    Takin' it awful personal there, pal. I can't imagine why I wouldn't be a part of Kendrick's target audience. I have enjoyed every other Black Hippy album (including Section.80.) Also I fail to see how any of the artists I list are overhyped, day in day out all I ever hear is how terrible they are because they're pop (and literally no other reason is given.) On the other hand, people talk about good kid as if the concept of someone disliking it on its own merits isn't even worth considering.

To wit.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Troll in the Playground

Taylor Swift ist krieg for reals.

Listen to Bosse-de-Nage's III. It's like a black metal Spiderland.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

10. - Top - End - #910
    Troll in the Playground

Never said I liked it. I've heard two songs from it, and I don't remember anything about them. Didn't mind 'em at the time, but if didn't know it was gkmc, I would've never guessed it was as acclaimed as it was.
    Vis a vis taking things personally, you should've known better than talking smack about Bruce.

Also, failing to see how pop music is overhyped because you only read negative press for it is sort of... not seeing the forest for the trees. Music doesn't get popular without a degree of hype. Ever. All of the artists you listed received a ton of hype, especially Carly Rae Jepson. I could link you to article after article and blog post after blog post raving about Call Me Maybe.

By the same token, I'm absolutely happy to give you an essay on why I don't think Call Me Maybe's a very good song, that doesn't mention commercial success or disparage pop music at all.

11. - Top - End - #911

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    Listen to Bosse-de-Nage's III. It's like a black metal Spiderland.
    Can't tell if that would be a good thing or not :v Well, I'll give it a listen and let you know what I think.

Ah man, I love the vocals on that album. They're far from pretty, and there's a lot of genuinely ugly moments, but I can't imagine performances more perfect for the album, and more complementary to the lyrics. It's an album that anyone with enough conviction and enough investment in the music and lyrics could've sung, and that's what I love about it.

In any case, I shared your opinion on my first handful of listens. It's a hell of a grower.
    I just can't stand the mumbled poetry, or the whispering, or the almost-but-not-quite-hardcore-punk shout. But albums have grown on me before, and the vocals certainly didn't kill it for me. Just... rather spoiled an otherwise excellent listening experience.
    Last edited by Comrade; 2013-01-03 at 05:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Troll in the Playground

Can't tell if that would be a good thing or not :v Well, I'll give it a listen and let you know what you think.
    It is a good thing.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

13. - Top - End - #913

Never said I liked it. I've heard two songs from it, and I don't remember anything about them. Didn't mind 'em at the time, but if didn't know it was gkmc, I would've never guessed it was as acclaimed as it was.
    Vis a vis taking things personally, you should've known better than talking smack about Bruce.

Also, failing to see how pop music is overhyped because you only read negative press for it is sort of... not seeing the forest for the trees. Music doesn't get popular without a degree of hype. Ever. All of the artists you listed received a ton of hype, especially Carly Rae Jepson. I could link you to article after article and blog post after blog post raving about Call Me Maybe.

By the same token, I'm absolutely happy to give you an essay on why I don't think Call Me Maybe's a very good song, that doesn't mention commercial success or disparage pop music at all.
    Fair enough. Maybe it's the people I hang around with. Even if Call Me Maybe was as praised as good kid I wouldn't mind so much. I'm curious, though, what would your AOTY be, if you had one? I'm going to guess Laurel Halo? Maybe Godspeed?

And hey! I love Springsteen! Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, Nebraska, Tunnel of Love; all albums I **** with. Born in the USA however... But you're right. I crossed a line there. Would you be happy if I had used Never Mind the Bollocks instead? Or maybe The Wall?

In other news I got Yanqui U.X.O today! Three down and one to go!

14. - Top - End - #914
    Troll in the Playground

Album of the Year for 2012?

I'm going to say either

Chromatics-Kill For Love
    OR
    Wild Nothing-Nocturne
    OR
    DIIV-Oshin

Admittedly, I have not listened to channel ORANGE or good kid yet.

also Death Grips-The Money Stone goddamnhipster/mu/corebullroar
    Last edited by Raistlin1040; 2013-01-03 at 06:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Halfling in the Playground

And hey! I love Springsteen! Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, Nebraska, Tunnel of Love; all albums I **** with. Born in the USA however... But you're right. I crossed a line there. Would you be happy if I had used Never Mind the Bollocks instead? Or maybe The Wall?
    There's people out there who genuinely like Never Mind the Bollocks?
    This is what you get when you turn your back
    A clear blue sky turning dirty black

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ettin in the Playground

I take it you're not talking about the BBC show?
    Show

17. - Top - End - #917

That's Buzzcocks rather than Bollocks, and it's pretty funny.
    Last edited by OhJohnNo; 2013-01-03 at 10:16 AM.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Ogre in the Playground

I've only ever seen Never Mind the Buzzcocks in the post Amstell era; people seem to think that it's gone downhill.

Noel Fielding, is however, hilarious, and Phill Jupitus has always been amazing.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OhJohnNo View Post
    That's Buzzcocks rather than Bollocks, and it's pretty funny.
    I kinda wanted to introduce the subject
    Last edited by dehro; 2013-01-03 at 11:06 AM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #920

I'm pretty certain nobody has ever had a more appropriate name than Phil Jupitus.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ogre in the Playground

I saw Kendrick Lamar on Conan last night. I actually had to stand up and walk around for a while in disbelief when Conan entered the stage to shake his hand. Dude is two feet tall.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

What happens when you combine a world-class vocalist, a world-class violinist, and the skyrim main theme?

This

Awesomeness meter gone into red and asploded. Now going down to Target to get a new one.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    I've only ever seen Never Mind the Buzzcocks in the post Amstell era; people seem to think that it's gone downhill.
    It has. Good as the Captains are, the show also depends quite a lot on the presenter and unfortunately a lot of the guest presenters aren't able to pull it off (e.g. those not familiar with the show). Unfortunately, the BBC still seems to be operating under the assumption that what works for Have I Got News For You? will work on any panel show, so we're probably stuck with it for a while.
    [/britishness]

24. - Top - End - #924

I think I'm gonna put down Via Coma's Figures as my album of the year.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I only bought three albums that came out this year...

The other two being Showbread's Cancer and Linkin Park's Living Things.
    Last edited by Makensha; 2013-01-03 at 03:55 PM.
    Also known as Jarbis

25. - Top - End - #925
    Troll in the Playground

Fair enough. Maybe it's the people I hang around with. Even if Call Me Maybe was as praised as good kid I wouldn't mind so much. I'm curious, though, what would your AOTY be, if you had one? I'm going to guess Laurel Halo? Maybe Godspeed?
    Honestly, I didn't listen to a ton of new music this year. Laurel Halo is certainly a strong contender, and I really enjoyed Tim Hecker and Holly Herndon's albums this year, although I need to give the latter another couple of listens.
    Aside from that, Attack On Memory by Cloud Nothings was great. Good to hear Albini spewing some noise again. I'm really enjoying Mac DeMarco's 2, and I actually though Melody's Echo Chamber was totally on point. A lot more satisfying than the new Tame Impala.
    I don't much care for Godspeed, or post-rock beyond first wave.

Quote Originally Posted by OhJohnNo View Post
    There's people out there who genuinely like Never Mind the Bollocks?
    Yes, hi. John Lydon's an incredible vocalist, and Steve Jones was one of the best guitarists in the original English punk scene. I do loathe Syd Vicious and everything he stands for, of course.
    Last edited by Moff Chumley; 2013-01-03 at 05:40 PM.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, hi. John Lydon's an incredible vocalist, and Steve Jones was one of the best guitarists in the original English punk scene. I do loathe Syd Vicious and everything he stands for, of course.
    More lies in a drugged out haze for than anything. And I thought that was a joke. "People actually like one of the most popular and widely influential records ever?"

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ogre in the Playground

Album of the Year? I'd have to say Django Django, the debut album by the band of the same name. This is one of the few albums I've enjoyed all the way through, and with good reason. They're catchy without being annoying, and don't sacrifice basic songsmanship for overly dramatic artistic statements or superfluous experimentation. That being said, they've experimented enough with the sound that the music is unique and interesting enough to keep people... well, interested. The album was universally lauded, if not critically acclaimed, by most critics and was nominated for the 2012 Mercury Prize.

The sound is classic enough that it's familiar without treading old ground, and strange enough to be totally unique and interesting. This is my AOTY, and if you didn't check it out when I shared it earlier this year, I'd strongly recommend you do so now...

...Unless, of course, you don't like psychedelic rock/dance/electronic/pop or any combination of those.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ogre in the Playground

For me, album of the year would have to be The Seer by Swans.

Anything Michael Gira touches turns to gold.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ogre in the Playground

Compressorhead, the coolest thing ever?

30. - Top - End - #930
    Troll in the Playground

Hey kids, my band's record's out. I don't know if rock's still cool or not, but rock's what it is.

I'd love to hear what you guys think of it.