New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1025262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1177
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Can we just do another music thread?

I really need to listen to Koi No Yokan.

In the world of college radio, there have been some cool new albums out in the past few weeks including The Dawn Sang Along by The Little Ones, Foolish Blood by Two Hours Traffic, and Elephant Stone by Elephant Stone
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Ettin in the Playground

All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Halfling in the Playground

This is what you get when you turn your back
    A clear blue sky turning dirty black

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ogre in the Playground

Then fear for me, because I didn't like it for a number of reasons...
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I like it for what it's worth.

Anyway, I have a date tonight folks. With The Fabulous Johnny Cash. The release of the Columbia collection makes me want to listen to his entire Discography again.

I'll be a while, I think.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm thinking a whole bunch of The Mars Volta this evening.

Someone told me these guys broke up recently. I really hope they didn't...
    A few odds and ends.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    I'm thinking a whole bunch of The Mars Volta this evening.

Someone told me these guys broke up recently. I really hope they didn't...
    Just a few weeks ago, I'm afraid.

https://twitter.com/cedricbixler_/st...76250523037696

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Halfling in the Playground

I like it for what it's worth.
    Woo!

I saw The Joy Formidable supporting Muse at the O2 months ago. Usually when I see a new band live, I forget all their tunes by the next morning, and this was indeed the case with them... except for Maw Maw Song. I never forgot that explosive melody. Then when they finally released their new album, I previewed it, heard that and went "FINALLY! YAY!"

It's not as good an album as their last, though. They don't really know how to self-produce properly, and Ritzy's vocals aren't as varied. Great songs 'n' all, but I think it really needs an accompanying live album.
    Last edited by OhJohnNo; 2013-02-21 at 09:25 AM.
    This is what you get when you turn your back
    A clear blue sky turning dirty black

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OhJohnNo View Post
    Indeed. I know only one person who dislikes that album, and his post is sitting directly above yours.
    Snooze-a-rama, indeed.

10. - Top - End - #1030

Just found out Swans are going to be in town in June. HELL YES. Doubly so since they've always been the sort of band to tour with material from the upcoming rather than previous album.

Now if only tindersticks would play Pittsburgh....

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Firbolg in the Playground

Someone in my Arabic class made the mistake of showing me this song and now I have arabic pop stuck in my head.

I'm not sure who's cuter, the singer or the boy courting her in the video.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

12. - Top - End - #1032

Oh, 1017 Brick Squad. As a man hopelessly addicted to banging trap rap how you have been there for me, on those cold nights, to provide me with another fix. It doesn't matter that your lyrics are pretty tepid and your songs are, basically, all the same. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

With that said...

I respect your mission statement to "own" 2013. Sure I read that and chuckled along but I just thought it was hip hop bravado, I didn't think you'd actually try to do it. We're only, just now, getting into the third month of the year and all five of you (Waka Flocka Flame, Gucci Mane, Young Scooter, Young Thug, Wooh Da Kid) have at least one tape out. And that's not including the Gucci x Scooter collaboration that you guys have also cranked out. It also doesn't include the new Gucci tape coming out next week. Jesus, Mary and Joseph, guys. I love you but you don't have to do this. You can stop for a bit, we won't forget about you. Yes, yes, it was very cheeky when Chief Keef and those other GBE boys stole your thunder last year but it's not as if we pretended Trap Back, Salute Me or Shoot Me 3 or Trap God didn't exist. Au contraire! We liked those tapes very much!

I get the sense you guys are acting like fussy housewives demanding to know where we've been all night for fear we're being unfaithful. Oh Brick Squad, honey, you know I love you. If it were up to me you and I would be gazing up at the stars from the balcony of some romantic loft in Toscana. But this was never exclusive. Now stop smothering me.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Locked Down by Dr. John.

How did I not hear about this?

14. - Top - End - #1034

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Locked Down by Dr. John.

How did I not hear about this?
    If I had to hazard a guess?

Because it wasn't very good.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    If I had to hazard a guess?

Because it wasn't very good.
    The beautiful sounds emanating from my headphones tell me otherwise.

Next you're going to tell me you didn't like On the Impossible Past by The Menzingers.

And then I'm just going to have to challenge you to pistols at dawn, and nobody wants that.

16. - Top - End - #1036

The beautiful sounds emanating from my headphones tell me otherwise.

Next you're going to tell me you didn't like On the Impossible Past by The Menzingers.

And then I'm just going to have to challenge you to pistols at dawn, and nobody wants that.
    On the Impossible Past was effing brilliant. Not as good as the demos, no, but still brilliant. I dunno, I guess I think the whole "Classic New Orleans R&B" sound has reached the end of the rails.

Or maybe I'm petty and spiting the Black Keys for being on the album.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

On the Impossible Past was effing brilliant. Not as good as the demos, no, but still brilliant. I dunno, I guess I think the whole "Classic New Orleans R&B" sound has reached the end of the rails.

Or maybe I'm petty and spiting the Black Keys for being on the album.
    Honestly, I think Chamberlain Waits was better from a purely musical standpoint, but nowhere near as good on lyrics.

18. - Top - End - #1038

Honestly, I think Chamberlain Waits was better from a purely musical standpoint, but nowhere near as good on lyrics.
    Couldn't say. On the Impossible Past was my first Menzingers album.

19. - Top - End - #1039

Just caught the band Dolores Boys (NSFW Bandcamp here: doloresboys.bandcamp.com/). Lots of nowave/post-punk influence, a bit of country/surf. Loud and intense with lots of dynamics. The singer went from shouting and screaming to quiet singing, almost Peter Murphy-esq. Absolutely loved them live.

And for my own stuff, I just put up a few complete film scores for free download at joshloughrey.bandcamp.com 3 indie features I've done as well as an album of Haunted House music. Not everyone likes to listen to film scores, and less so for films that no one has seen, but I think they make pretty good listens as a whole, so I thought I'd share them. As always, thoughts and feedback are welcome!

20. - Top - End - #1040

So I finally listened to How To Destroy Angels, and am really wishing I had discovered them earlier, when everyone in this thread was raving about them. Shoulda checked'em out then...

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ettin in the Playground

Listening to Nanobots now. It's good, a classic TMBG sound.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    Just caught the band Dolores Boys (NSFW Bandcamp here: doloresboys.bandcamp.com/). Lots of nowave/post-punk influence, a bit of country/surf. Loud and intense with lots of dynamics. The singer went from shouting and screaming to quiet singing, almost Peter Murphy-esq. Absolutely loved them live.
    They're distributing their album only by cassette? And I would've liked to buy it...
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.

23. - Top - End - #1043

Yeah, that's exactly why I didn't buy one at the show. Cassettes have oddly become a thing again in various underground circles. I don't really get it. Yes, you can get blank tapes cheap, but not cheaper than cd-rs. With vinyl culture there are qualitative differences and it's more expensive to press anyway. But cassettes only have the advantage of deteriorating faster than any other media. Which, now that I'm thinking about it, might be the point.

But, hey, there's a case for digital music....

24. - Top - End - #1044

Ugh... So much great music these days. The 2010s are awesome. Suck it 1970s!

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    So I finally listened to How To Destroy Angels, and am really wishing I had discovered them earlier, when everyone in this thread was raving about them. Shoulda checked'em out then...
    Yup yup. But at least now you've seen the light. I'm still waiting to get my hands on the album though. I've heard good things.

Ugh... So much great music these days. The 2010s are awesome. Suck it 1970s!
    The 90s were the bestest. And not just because I'm a child of the 90s. I still have the very first album I bought by myself: Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Those were good times...
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

26. - Top - End - #1046

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    The 90s were the bestest. And not just because I'm a child of the 90s. I still have the very first album I bought by myself: Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Those were good times...
    10s > 00s > 60s > 70s > 80s > 90s > 50s

Just, in my opinion. They're all great, though.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ogre in the Playground

10s > 00s > 60s > 70s > 80s > 90s > 50s

Just, in my opinion. They're all great, though.
    Just going by the number of albums I have from each decade my ranking goes:

00s (140)>10s(68)>70s(48)>60s(40)>90s(32)>80s(9)>50s(2 )

The numbers aren't completely accurate, some have been mislabeled, others were compilation albums released decades after the original music, but I like numbers so I thought it would be fun to do. It's also not really representative of my actual listening habits, but it fits generally. Never liked 80s music (most of what I have is groups from the 70s still putting out albums), 90s were okay, love a significant subset of 70/60s but not all or most of it and the core of my music is from this and the last decade. I never realized how much I had from the 00s, it makes sense though, I began listening to music on the tail end of that decade (I'm weird and didn't really 'like' music until the year I graduated HS, I've made a lot of progress since then...).
    Last edited by Weezer; 2013-03-07 at 01:43 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1048

The 80s have a surprising number of great bands that just didn't ever make it into public consciousness at all, some of my favourites too. A lot you don't consider as 80s bands at all. Lots of overlap with the other decades, but to be expected as y'know, musical trends don't stop and start evenly as the decade rolls over.

But when you have the Specials, the Beat, ESPECIALLY the Jesus and Mary Chain, Sonic Youth, the Pixies, My Bloody Valentine, Run-DMC, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, De La Soul, NWA, Nick Cave, Closer by Joy Division was technically 1980 though I don't think it counts, the Stone Roses... The undercurrents of everything that would hit critical mass in the 90s and 00s were being set.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

29. - Top - End - #1049

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    The 80s have a surprising number of great bands that just didn't ever make it into public consciousness at all, some of my favourites too. A lot you don't consider as 80s bands at all. Lots of overlap with the other decades, but to be expected as y'know, musical trends don't stop and start evenly as the decade rolls over.

But when you have the Specials, the Beat, ESPECIALLY the Jesus and Mary Chain, Sonic Youth, the Pixies, My Bloody Valentine, Run-DMC, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, De La Soul, NWA, Nick Cave, Closer by Joy Division was technically 1980 though I don't think it counts, the Stone Roses... The undercurrents of everything that would hit critical mass in the 90s and 00s were being set.
    Yeah it was a rough list. The only thing set in stone is the 2000s/2010s being supreme.

30. - Top - End - #1050

I used to think I hated the 80s but then it turns out all these bands I considered more 70s or more 90s were actually underground in the 80s. Which makes sense.

I agree that the 00s and 10s reign supreme though. My top artists on last.fm are like... 5 straddle the 00s and 10s, 4 are 00s, 2 are 90s, 3 are 10s, 1 is 80s. But most of my music I took from my parents large library, so a full count of everything wouldn't really be helpful.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.