Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SowZ's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Gender
    Male

    Default OOTS WBL Estimates

    The question? What party members are reasonably near their WBL? We can only guess the level of individual party members within a level or two, (some more,) but on average I think if each person is within 150K-200K they are pretty close. (Note, what things are worth are what matters in WBL, not necessarily what was payed for it.)

    I know other threads discuss these things- but I would like a place to discuss this singularly. Also, I am curious and haven't read through the comic in a while so I know I will have missed quite a few. As far as I know, a thread hasn't done this since new magic items have been introduced. And the gods know the good folks at GitP are great at rehashing!

    Here is what I've got.

    Belkar's Ring of Jumping +20: 40K

    Durkon's Amulet of Natural Armor: ?

    Elan's Belt of Charisma, (Probably +2): 4K-6K
    Elan's Belt of Gender Changing: ?
    Elan's Boots of Elvenkind: 2.5K

    Haley's Crystal's (I think I remember +4?) Dagger: 32K

    Haley's Bag of Holding: (Tough to say which ones were destroyed/what level they are. She has 1-8 I believe, levels I-IV. Theoretically? 2.5K-80K)
    Haley's +3 Icy Burst Bow: 50K
    Haley's Leather Armor: 16-20K

    V's Ring of Wizardry: 20K-100K

    Roy's Bag of Tricks: (Strange because it is an amalgam of all bag or tricks... 3K?)
    Roy's Belt of Giant Strength: (Assuming an even Str. adj., the minimum Str. to give Mr. Scruffy a positive Str. mod would be +8. I am thinking +10, but who knows? The caravan would have to have been pretty careless not to have a belt identified worth a milliong gold. 36K+)
    Roy's Sword: ?

    What did I miss or did you guys disagree with anything?
    Last edited by SowZ; 2011-08-30 at 06:26 PM.
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist
    Avatar by Kymme

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Preston, England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates

    Ehhh, can't grab values at work. (yet I can post on forums, how odd)

    But Elan's rapier, Belkar's daggers are +3 but I can't remember where that was said. Belt of gender changing? :P

    I think that covers the explicitly mentioned items, but what about the implicit ones? Durkon's plate, shield and hammer? Roy's armour can't be that bad either.

    Then we have the sundry items...In the pile that came out of Haley's bag alone I can see 4 quivers, 4 potions and 5 gems. Not counting the immense stack of gold.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Xapi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Argentina
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates

    Quote Originally Posted by Phishfood View Post
    Ehhh, can't grab values at work. (yet I can post on forums, how odd)

    But Elan's rapier, Belkar's daggers are +3 but I can't remember where that was said. Belt of gender changing? :P

    I think that covers the explicitly mentioned items, but what about the implicit ones? Durkon's plate, shield and hammer? Roy's armour can't be that bad either.

    Then we have the sundry items...In the pile that came out of Haley's bag alone I can see 4 quivers, 4 potions and 5 gems. Not counting the immense stack of gold.
    Well, we can't really evaluate Haley because she has a plot-given (or character driven) reason to put wealth above power, so it is reasonable in a gaming enviroment that her wealth will exceed her WBL by a fair amount.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    zimmerwald1915's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates

    Quote Originally Posted by Phishfood View Post
    But Elan's rapier, Belkar's daggers are +3 but I can't remember where that was said. Belt of gender changing? :P
    Julio Scoundrel gives Elan his +3 Keen Rapier just before he jumps off the Mechane to fight Nale. A +3 Keen Rapier is worth 32,320gp. Dunno where Belkars' daggers' enhancement bonus is given.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2011-08-31 at 11:32 AM.
    Milk Chocolate Justiciar of the Haley Fanclub
    I hate a song that makes you think that you are not any good...Because you are too old or too young or too fat or too slim. Too ugly or too this or too that....I'm out to sing songs that will prove to you that this is your world...no matter what color, what size you are, how you are built, I am out to sing the songs that make you take pride in yourself and in your work.
    Human stick-figure Twilight Sparkle by me. Find more here.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    LIC, NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates

    Haley also has some magical defensive jewelery she got from Crystal.
    Last edited by Fitzclowningham; 2011-08-31 at 11:34 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    A_S's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates


  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Gandariel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates

    Actually haley's bow is +5 Icy burst (which would be +7...)
    Haley also has a lot of money and stuff more than the others...
    Anyway we can assume:

    Roy: Magic armor and Sword(+5), Belt of giant strenght (+6), bag of tricks.

    Belkar: assumedly magic armor and knives (i think they're at least Returning) and ring of jump

    Durkon: Magic hammer, armor, shield, amulet of nat.armor

    Elan: no armor, keen +3 rapier, HIS OTHER RAPIER, Belt of Cha(+2), boots of elvenkind

    V: Headband of intellect (+6 i think) Ring of Wizardry (at least 3, because of Suggestion), robe is nonmagical(Blackwing sees through it with True Seeing)

    Haley: +5 Icy burst bow, magic armor, +4 dagger, 7 Bags of holding (or 8).

    All of them are supposed to own a lot of "random, misc things" like potions
    Last edited by Gandariel; 2011-08-31 at 12:34 PM.
    Stay out of the shadows, they bite.


    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates

    Quote Originally Posted by Xapi View Post
    Well, we can't really evaluate Haley because she has a plot-given (or character driven) reason to put wealth above power, so it is reasonable in a gaming enviroment that her wealth will exceed her WBL by a fair amount.
    Except that, as with all of them, she has in-excess-of-her-WBL money trimmed off by the rules of the world she lives in. (For example, when the inn blew up--described by Rich in No Cure for the Paladin Blues as trimming the dragon treasure down to a level-appropriate treasure.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "You are what you do. Choose again, and change." --Miles Vorkosigan

    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Xapi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Argentina
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates

    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Except that, as with all of them, she has in-excess-of-her-WBL money trimmed off by the rules of the world she lives in. (For example, when the inn blew up--described by Rich in No Cure for the Paladin Blues as trimming the dragon treasure down to a level-appropriate treasure.)
    Yeah, I don't think that is right.

    Yes, you gave an example of a time where their treasure was reduced to an appropiate level in terms of the challenge they faced (IE: The treasure was Mama Dragon sized, but they faced Baby Dragon instead).

    I don't think the whole OotS world is constantly cutting down the wealth of characters to keep them in their WBL. Specially when a given character has a "sidequest" taht requires her to amass such a big amount of cash.

    Perhaps if she were to actually pay the old ransom fee (now expired, of course) she would put herself back in her WBL.

    But it is safe to say that she has an unnatural amount of cash for her level (or any level really, as any D&D character would usually buy equipment with their money).

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates

    Well, they also have a lot of "standard magic items" that are not specifically mentioned. In one of the bonus strips where Roy and Belkar are arguing about the price for staying at a first class inn, Belkar mentioned that he just recently threw his last +1 (or might have been +2) ring of protection (worth staying in said inn for months) into the trash (because of having found one with a better +).

    So the OotC can be assumed to have rings of protection, bracers of armor, and all non flashy stuff like this that doesn't need to be especially mentioned and is just expected for PCs of their level
    Last edited by SoC175; 2011-09-19 at 02:57 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Preston, England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates

    Big WTF.

    Just rescanning this thread....and....

    Not ONE mention of boots of speed (lime green). What is wrong with us?

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates

    Quote Originally Posted by Phishfood View Post
    Big WTF.

    Just rescanning this thread....and....

    Not ONE mention of boots of speed (lime green). What is wrong with us?
    i figured that it was assumed that she got rid of them because she isnt wearing them now and because of their color it was "a grave conundrum she faced"

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Preston, England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates

    Lime Green Boots of Speed (No longer lime green)

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates

    WBL is what exactly?

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates

    Quote Originally Posted by ricorum View Post
    WBL is what exactly?
    Wealth By Level I believe...

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates

    Quote Originally Posted by Xapi View Post
    Yeah, I don't think that is right.

    Yes, you gave an example of a time where their treasure was reduced to an appropiate level in terms of the challenge they faced (IE: The treasure was Mama Dragon sized, but they faced Baby Dragon instead).

    I don't think the whole OotS world is constantly cutting down the wealth of characters to keep them in their WBL. Specially when a given character has a "sidequest" taht requires her to amass such a big amount of cash.

    Perhaps if she were to actually pay the old ransom fee (now expired, of course) she would put herself back in her WBL.

    But it is safe to say that she has an unnatural amount of cash for her level (or any level really, as any D&D character would usually buy equipment with their money).
    She lost most of her treasure in the explosion, and she has not had much opportunity to gain wealth disproportionate to her level. She could have been looting Azure City, but that is counterbalanced by the premiums she had to pay for consumables smuggled into the city. I wouldn't be surprised if she had more wealth than WBL would suggest, but I doubt she has reached the freakishly high level of wealth she (and the rest of the party) had before the inn was destroyed.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Sith_Happens's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dromund Kaas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates

    Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Roy: Magic armor and Sword(+5), Belt of giant strenght (+6), bag of tricks.
    Don't forget that his sword is a special material, specifically starmetal. Not sure what the price on that is though, as it's unclear whether the OotS-world's starmetal is the same stuff in Complete Arcane. On one hand, the smith tells Roy that his sword will do extra damage against undead, rather than against outsiders like CA starmetal does. On the other hand, it also works on Sabine (who's an outsider) in Cliffport, though that could be due to overcoming her DR rather than due to getting an extra damage die. Of course, if it does overcome Sabine's DR, then that makes it even more different from CA starmetal, which is equivalent to admantine.

    Anyways, CA starmetal is +5000 gp. OotS starmetal, no idea. Which makes this post not terribly useful, although I did manage to link three different strips in it.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Salem, OR

    Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates

    Don't forget those ordinary looking small rocks everyone but Haley got.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the gnomes of war! Or something...

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Sith_Happens's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dromund Kaas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates

    Quote Originally Posted by GSFB View Post
    Don't forget those ordinary looking small rocks everyone but Haley got.
    You know I wonder if those will ever show up again. Just think of how many bonuses Belkar would get with them...
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates

    Quote Originally Posted by Luminescence View Post
    She lost most of her treasure in the explosion
    I thought her own treasure was in Bags of Holding, which she kept with herself. And the bags lost in the explosion contained the dragon hoard.
    Last edited by Werbaer; 2011-09-24 at 06:18 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    grimbold's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Paris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates

    Quote Originally Posted by Werbaer View Post
    I thought her own treasure was in Bags of Holding, which she kept with herself. And the bags lost in the explosion contained the dragon hoard.
    i think Haley still lost her bag of holding in the explosion
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Cheesepirate for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •