New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Werewolf Central VIII: Important WW information goes here - READ OPENING POSTS!

Christmas WW has started
    Quote Originally Posted by Gligarman2 View Post
    14. I will not counterspell when Celestia raises the sun.
    Do you want an avatar?
    Adopt one, or ask for a custom avatar!
    Portfolio

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Werewolf Central VIII: Important WW information goes here - READ OPENING POSTS!

Chaos in the Academy - The Rift has been submitted for approval.
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

3. - Top - End - #333
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I've actually been kicking around an idea for a game with three villager teams and one wolf team, though I'm not sure if the three villager teams actually count as separate teams.

I still want to get more experience with the game before I try running my own variant, but I'll probably get around to running it eventually. As long as we're discussing ideas, though, I have a question.

Would it be too frustrating for villagers to play a game where the alignment of other players is never directly revealed? My idea is card themed. Each player will have a playing card, which is revealed upon their death. Players know that anybody of the same suit is an ally, but nobody except for the wolves is told which suit is evil.

Would trying to figure out which suit the wolves are be fun, or would the uncertainty of whether a friend or foe just got lynched be too frustrating?

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Sounds vaguely like WitchHunt, in which the roles of the deceased are not made public.

Actually, I was working on a game earlier, where I don't think roles would be revealed on death.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

5. - Top - End - #335

It's actually a common varient where no-one, or only one person, is told who the dead player's roles are.

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

6. - Top - End - #336
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BourgeoisJerry View Post
    Would it be too frustrating for villagers to play a game where the alignment of other players is never directly revealed? My idea is card themed. Each player will have a playing card, which is revealed upon their death. Players know that anybody of the same suit is an ally, but nobody except for the wolves is told which suit is evil.

Would trying to figure out which suit the wolves are be fun, or would the uncertainty of whether a friend or foe just got lynched be too frustrating?
    That they were on one of four teams is more information than a lot of games give. I think it'd work.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    I actually have two theories on why you're doing this, but neither make much sense and you would have to be insane to try them. It seems you are insane, which is great for my theories.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZarethG View Post
    I see your point, Internet Flea. However, I don't retract my assessment of your sanity.
    What kind of paranoid mind sees that as something else. ~ The Narrator, during Stranded in Space.

(Sugar Shock avatar by Dirtytabs.)

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

Helgraf's Bomb II has begun recruiting. Join us.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

8. - Top - End - #338
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Now, I said I had another idea. A six team game; Each with their own goals (usually elimination of two others). Every player belongs to TWO teams. As well, each player has TWO power roles (often a variation on the seer, hence why Grimmace's second idea is similar). There is no power role which only one player can have (Each will be assigned to four or more, or not at all).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team A would want to eliminate teams B and F.
    Team B would want to eliminate teams A and C.
    Team C would want to eliminate teams B and D.
    Team D would want to eliminate Teams C and E.
    Team E would want to eliminate teams D and F.
    Team F would want to eliminate teams E and A.

For each team, there are three teams that a member could still be a part of.
    Someone from Team A could also be a part of Teams C, D, or E.
    Someone from Team B could also be a part of Teams D, E, or F.
    Someone from Team C could also be a part of Teams E, F, or A.
    Someone from Team D could also be a part of Teams F, A, or B.
    Someone from Team E could also be a part of Teams A, B, or C.
    Someone from Team F could also be a part of Teams B, C, or D.

A minimum of Three teams must be eliminated for the game to end. Up to three teams can achieve victory simultaneously.

Obviously once I decide on a theme, these teams/factions will have actual names. Everyone in a faction knows who all else is in that faction, but does not know what their powers/other factions are (unless their both in the same two factions). They're allowed to talk, and work together, but they may also be working against each other without knowing it! Would be a good idea not to talk about which factions you also belong to, and not mention your roles, maybe.

As to roles... Well, nothing should be team specific. Maybe certain roles "cannot show up in a certain faction", but no role can "only show up in a certain faction". Someone can use both their powers each night, unless it has a cool down.

Sounds an awful lot like one of the games in the Paranoia series, I think. It seemed to work rather well. Though in that one there were two sets of teams that were entirely independent of each other and crossed each other, so your team mates from team type A represented each team of type B.
    Last edited by TBFProgrammer; 2011-11-23 at 11:31 PM.
    The BareFoot Programmer

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BourgeoisJerry View Post
    It depends on people's play style and preferences really. I often find I can't get on with Paranoia-style death-tells-you-nothing games, but the inclusion of playing card suits would at least allow some analysis I could get some mileage out of. So yeah, sounds good to me.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TBFProgrammer View Post
    Sounds an awful lot like one of the games in the Paranoia series, I think. It seemed to work rather well. Though in that one there were two sets of teams that were entirely independent of each other and crossed each other, so your team mates from team type A represented each team of type B.
    While looking for that, I found this series. Sounds like it was fun, anyone want to run it? I'd play if it got re-run.

But you were talking about Paranoia III (and after), were you not?
    Yeah, OK.... Hmm... seems each player had a team, SS, and power.

Yeah, I see the similarity. But may I point out differences? Pretty Please ? Thanks.

In the one I have proposed, there is only one list of teams (not a list of 'teams' and a list of 'secret societies'), and everyone gets two from that single list. There are no references to Friend Computer, and everyone gets TWO powers. Uh.... And there are more powers.

hmm. Yeah, not much to separate them, I guess. I guess next I need a theme (Might rename roles based on theme). Hmmm... Fanfics? I could call one team "Harry Potter", another *shudders* "twilight", another "Pokemon", etc. And then the players are fans/writers who hate eachother's guts; their roles would represent their favorite character(s/ types).

Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    It depends on people's play style and preferences really. I often find I can't get on with Paranoia-style death-tells-you-nothing games, but the inclusion of playing card suits would at least allow some analysis I could get some mileage out of. So yeah, sounds good to me.
    Sounds like you don't like it when a game is too Funstrating.
    Yay! got to use my new word!
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Flabort, I was actually planning something similar to that for my next game. Though, not exactly the same.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Dwarf in the Playground

It appears that ‘I’ have fallen asleep for two days please fore give us while we get acclimated to the world of the living again. Votes, thoughtful responses and cognitive abilities may be lacking in the coming days . . . this will be quoted in most games we are in accompanied by a vote in games where needed. It would be appreciated not to be auto-lynched because of this, it is unknown if another stint like this will happen again.
    We love plural first person personal pronouns.
    Rejoice in the bosom of white text our child.
    Avatar by Gnomish Wanderer! (::) invisible cookies (::)

13. - Top - End - #343

I'll be gone for at least 72 hours from now. Potentially more.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Now to look that up. So, it was a WW variant, right? Now to go to the opening posts and see if it's there...
    Sorry about taking so many pages to get back to you, I have been very busy. I do not believe that it is considered a Mafia variant, as everyone has certain actions as determined by their role, and their is no "day phase." A spinoff, yes, but I don't believe it is listed under afia variants. I co-DM'd one, so if I can think of who was involved, I will have them contact you.
    Long Sig (now with nonsense riddles).

Squadron leader of =Knights of Wolf= in War Thunder

...you either learn to laugh, or you go insane. I prefer to laugh.
    -Ee'char STDS9: Hard Time

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Banjo: Huh. Any particular reason Death-Tells-You-Nothing style games erk you so much?

Ramsus: Do you mean the Custom, or Fanfic?

UsOurselves&We: That's too bad. Medical issues?

bladescape: Alright.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #346

Actually, better yet, here it is.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

thanks. I'll get reading it right away.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

Hello. Can I please get three more players for Helgraf's Bomb II.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

19. - Top - End - #349
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Who would be interested in a game that runs like WitchHunt, but with even less information?

Like WitchHunt: No PMs, roles not revealed upon death, high-analysis requirement, every role has some sort of power, day ends when vote reaches lynch requirement.

Unlike WitchHunt: I don't give you a list of all the roles, (but I will give enough so you know what you need to know) wolves are blind, it's medieval-themed, each player has their own QT which I set up.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post
    ~Snip~
    I would, seems up my alley.
    Titles, Achievements, and Quotes of Honor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Infernal Teamworker - City of Shadows Wondering if anyone is still checking this...
    Ruler of the City - City of Shadows Hello? Anyone there? PM me if you want the Color Code.
    The Fallen Chessmaster - Center WW I don't really see a reason to get rid of this.
    The Manipulative/The Opaque - Demons WW Its kind of neat.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Dwarf in the Playground

That could be interesting. It will be tough to balance though, since the only real advantage the wolves have in that game is that they can communicate.
    Last edited by Tydude; 2011-11-26 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Typo
    Avatar of Yoshimo by Trazoi. WW Banner by Elder Tsofu.

Trophies and Titles
    Spoiler
    Show
    Protecting the Guilty/I Survived the City of the Drifter(City of Darkness)
    Bringer of Chaos/Last Assassin Standing/Werewolf Finder/Oops! (City of Shadows)
    (Shape-shifters 2)
    (Bombs Away Heat 2)

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

That could be interesting. It will be tough to balance though, since the only real advantage the wolves have in that game is that they can communicate.
    he said Wolves are blind

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

No, I believe that "that game" referred to Witchhunt.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post
    No, I believe that "that game" referred to Witchhunt.
    Yeah, I was referring to Witchhunt. I really didn't make myself clear at all, did I?
    Avatar of Yoshimo by Trazoi. WW Banner by Elder Tsofu.

Trophies and Titles
    Spoiler
    Show
    Protecting the Guilty/I Survived the City of the Drifter(City of Darkness)
    Bringer of Chaos/Last Assassin Standing/Werewolf Finder/Oops! (City of Shadows)
    (Shape-shifters 2)
    (Bombs Away Heat 2)

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

@Flabort: I meant Custom.

26. - Top - End - #356

I'd play that Pengi.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Dwarf in the Playground

St. Trinian's 2 WW could still use around 10 more players. The more players, the more fun it should be. I really do want to get about 32 if possible.
    What do you mean "Dungeon Master" isn't a proper job?

Thanks to Thufir for the avatar.

D&D Characters Past and Present:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Honest Man (3.5 LG human fighter), Princess Kailee (4e Good elf cleric), Elric (4e Good human paladin)
    Talia Dakashnit (3.5 CE human fighter), Gabriel Stryfe (d20 Modern fast hero), Tacin Willow (3.5 NG human fighter//bard)

GitP Blood Bowl Legacy League - Season 3 recruiting

28. - Top - End - #358

OK, here is a game that I might consider running, depending on future events (such as how soon I am out in Dip, and how college goes). Probably won't be on the roster for a while though.

The big differance:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are 4 teams (preferably of 5)=20 players: each team has 2 PRs: A scrier and a sniper. The sniper is exactly the same as a normal sniper (although as we do not have wolves, I would appreciate that the snipers send a message that they do not snipe anyone, if it is their decision.). Scriers detect team and PRs. Also, this game does not end until only 1 team remains.

Possible extra rules:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This likely would be a no Role reveal game. However, I am considering giving the scriers the option to "mark" a player instead of scrying during the night phase. A mark would reveal that player's team and any power role that they may have upon death, either by sniper or lynch. Another scrier may discover that a player has been marked either by attempting to mark that same player, or by a scry. They may then choose to remove the mark on the next night phase, as the only action that night. I am not sure if I will use marks, what does everyone think? Another possibility is to start off with a scry-only night. That way, day 1 would not be so random, and it eliminates the problem of a full night where you end up with the problem of eliminating players before they even get to play.

EDIT: Notice: Another possibility would be to simply make marks permanent.

RP themes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1)Wolves. Teams are the White, Gray, Black, and Spirit Wolves (or just dogs). Dogs might work better for RP as they are corporeal. Difficult to set up conflict. Although the story may not necessarily imply that they intend to devide themselves up that way. It would be tricky

2) Blue, Red, Grey, and Green knights. a paladine themed game with each side devoted to wiping out the other. However, amnesia has allowed all of them to remember who they are and why they are here, but not who else is who.

3) Any other ideas? All of the above need names for PRs. I would consider anything totally different

Pros and Cons and Thoughts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any team could get an early advantage, becoming almost undefeatable in the first day. A definate advantage would be the role claims. It makes role claims absolutely suicide early game, as 75% of the players want you gone. Late game, if you are sure that your team has an infallible lead, it might be helpful. I think the mood early game would be much more trigger happy as about 75% of the players are against your team, and the first player lynched will be a victory for 75% of the players. The other 25% are going to be really dissapointed! Feels a lot like I imagine a blind wolf WW would feel. Everyone knows that a majority of deaths will be in your favor, but any loss hurts really bad. Also, if all 4 snipers snipe someone on the first night, that is 5 players that don't make it past day 1. If the snipers decide to hold off, it takes about as long, if not longer, than a regular 20 player mafia game.

Also, I need a name for this game. It may be a while until this game gets on the roster. Hopefully this will help to sooth the foul taste of Insane Mafia.
    Last edited by 101jir; 2011-11-27 at 03:44 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

If you go with the marks then I think you should auto-remove marks (and know you did so) on teammates as those are likely the only people you'd want to remove the marks of and it doesn't end up with you having to spend two nights of actions when you could be marking people on the other teams.

Also, I wasn't clear on if teammates know each other or not. If not then I wouldn't do the marks and let scries work more normally.

Edit: The theme should clearly be four colored chess. Ivory, Obsidian, Marble, and Iron.

Edit 2: Realized some people might not realized I was joking there. If you have four teams they should be Hearts, Spades, Diamonds, and Clubs.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2011-11-27 at 01:59 PM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Pixie in the Playground

Sounds like a blind version of the last Magic the Gathering game. Could be fun.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I actually have two theories on why you're doing this, but neither make much sense and you would have to be insane to try them. It seems you are insane, which is great for my theories.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZarethG View Post
    I see your point, Internet Flea. However, I don't retract my assessment of your sanity.
    What kind of paranoid mind sees that as something else. ~ The Narrator, during Stranded in Space.

(Sugar Shock avatar by Dirtytabs.)