New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Werewolf Central VIII: Important WW information goes here - READ OPENING POSTS!

And I'm the resident Shadow of Doubt
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

2. - Top - End - #632
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Werewolf Central VIII: Important WW information goes here - READ OPENING POSTS!

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    But if I'm a resident-anything, it's either hobo, leech, or brain-sucker.

Heheh.
    We love plural first person personal pronouns.
    Rejoice in the bosom of white text our child.
    Avatar by Gnomish Wanderer! (::) invisible cookies (::)

3. - Top - End - #633
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh yes, it takes time to get good at WW, but it doesn't to learn how to play at WW. There actually two different things...
    And with each passing moment the mystery will become more tantalizing. Your imagination will inflame, but so will your frustration. Never knowing, only guessing, what could possibly be inside that box.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Troll in the Playground

Be preperd, in March the 12, recruitment will start for That Secret Game narrated by -as day and night- Lex-kat and Super dark33!

This ga3m will BLOW YOUR MIND!
    so count down the seconds!
    Despite everything, its still me.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    Be preperd, in March the 12, recruitment will start for That Secret Game narrated by -as day and night- Lex-kat and Super dark33!

This ga3m will BLOW YOUR MIND!
    so count down the seconds!
    Well, you'd best give us an accurate number of the seconds between now and March 12th so we can count them down then...
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Dwarf in the Playground

Anyone interested in helping me develop and run a Mass Effect themed Werewolf game before Mass Effect 3 is released?

I figure the WW role is probably best given to 'Cerberus', and the villager roles the crew of the Normandy.

Edit: Hello boys, I'm BAaaaaack! :D
    Last edited by Eldritch Knight; 2012-02-09 at 12:19 PM.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I've been working on this for the past couple of days, and I want to post it up for the scrutiny of more experienced players and narrators, but here is my proposed Nebula Pirates variant game

Nebula Pirates

(being a variation upon the Giant in the Playground werewolf games)

Setting the scene:

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    The year is AD3842, though some planets use other calendars. Mankind has gone to the stars, rapidly creating a network of planets in which the earth is but a tiny part. Empires and star nations rise and fall, staking out their claim over vaster territories than any terrestrial nation- and through it all, mighty spacegoing merchant vessels ply their trade, carrying technology, luxury goods, sometimes even foodstuffs and livestock through the starry void.

Mostly these merchant ships use hyperspace, travelling at speeds greater than that of light to reach their destinations, but some obstacles prevent travel at those speeds- amongst them the Pen nebula, a vast expanse of space that separates a number of prominent interplanetary trade centres. This expanse cannot be easily bypassed without either a two month detour or straying into a major war zone, and its particle density causes any ship attempting to cross it in hyperspace to explode. In fact, the nebula can only be crossed at a maximum velocity of 0.2c, one fifth of the speed of light. Furthermore, the particle density of the nebula restricts sensor ranges, and this combines with the volume of trade through the area to result in a large amount of pirate activity within the nebula.

Because of this pirate activity, the star empire of Neue Brunswick routinely deploys warships into the area to protect merchantmen from piracy and to prevent smuggling of weapons, narcotics and slaves.

Merchantmen, fearing that even with warships available they might still not make it through, travel through the nebula in convoys, hoping for safety in numbers.

Team Merchant:
    Spoiler
    Show

Win condition:
    At least one merchantmen survives the fifteen day passge of the nebula to reach the fleet anchorage on the other side.

Roles:
    Merchantman: (villager)
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are a deep space cargo ship, with only the most minimal of armaments, with the help of your comrades you might destroy another ship, but your warheads are generally used to clear space debris from your courses. You also have a limited supply of chaff canisters and decoys to protect you from attack, but these are expended when hit, and you can only carry a small number without sacrificing cargo space.

A merchantman carries two chaff canisters, two decoys and two salvoes of missiles.

Star Cruiser: (seer/fool- one time recruiter)
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are the pride of the Star Empire of Neue Brunswick and possess better sensor arrays than any merchantman- if any pirates are discovered in the convoy, your firepower will take them down. During the night phase, you may focus your sensors on any one ship, or on a wider quadrant of space to seek information about your sensor target- gaining information on whether they are a pirate or a merchantman. Warships are primary targets for the pirates, and so you operate under a false identity as a merchantman. If a ship's defences have been whittled down, you may send marines to make a boarding action, capturing the ship and defeating any pirates and smugglers still aboard her- forcibly recruiting her to your side.

The star cruiser carries four chaff canisters, three decoys and five salvoes of missiles as well as a heavy laser battery.

Star Frigate: (seer/fool- one time recruiter)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Smaller than the star Cruiser, and hailing from the allied Star Republic of Nouveau Chantilly, the star frigate has less firepower but houses a highly experimental sensor system, designed to cut through the interference of the nebula. The kinks are still being worked out of the systems, and in fact you still have the shipyard technicians aboard, but during the night phase you can, like the Star Cruiser, make a sensor focus, gaining details on what armament your target is carrying. Like the Star Cruiser, you operate under a false identity, pretending to be a merchantman so that you do not become a priority target for pirates. If a ship's defences have been whittled down, you may send marines to make a boarding action, capturing the ship and defeating any pirates and smugglers still aboard her- forcibly recruiting her to your side.

The star frigate carries three chaff canisters, two decoys and four salvoes of missiles as well as a heavy laser battery.

Merchant Cartels: (masons)
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are merchant ships belonging to the same shipping company and whose captains know each other by sight, a cartel will always have at least two ships, and their players will be informed of each others' identities. There may be more than one shipping cartel sending ships as part of the convoy.

A cartel merchantman carries the same weapons and defences as any other merchantman.

Flighty merchant: (beast villager)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not one to fight, when fired upon, your response is to run as fast as you can, opening a hyperspace portal even inside the nebula. Unfortunately, with the conditions in the nebula, this has the effect of killing you and one of the vessels firing on you.

The flighty merchant would carry as many weapons as any other merchantman, except his paranoia and terror means he'll only fire them as part of a lynching, and will never give them away to others.

Team Pirate:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Win Condition:
    Destroy all power roles, or reduce the convoy to three ships before it reaches the fleet anchorage on the other side of the nebula.

Roles:
    Pirate Battlecruiser: (devil)
    Spoiler
    Show
    During each night phase, you may perform a sensor focus to learn everything about your target. Your sensors use telepathic aliens and are unaffected by the nebula, but are affected by other sensor sweeps- and you automatically discover the role, affiliation and armament of any ship you focus on. You may also make one night attack before or after scrying. You also have a contingent of marines aboard who are capable of boarding actions.

The pirate battlecruiser has eighteen salvoes of missiles, three decoys and five canisters of chaff, as well as a heavy laser battery.

Pirate Destroyer: (Wolf)
    Spoiler
    Show
    During each night phase, you may confer among yourselves as to which vessel or vessels to target (up to a number equal to your own), and how much firepower to target it/them with. You belong to a different pirate group than the battlecruiser and are unaware of its presence to start with.

The pirate destroyer has twelve salvoes of missiles, three decoys and four canisters of chaff and a heavy laser battery.

Pirate Manowar: (Beast)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Makes a night attack as a pirate destroyer, but when attacked fires off all ammunition and all defensive countermeasures, spreading it evenly amongst every ship attacking it. It might survive the attack, but will have revealed its identity, and will not survive another attack.

The pirate manowar has the same weapons and defences as a pirate destroyer.

Team smuggler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Win condition:
    Make it through the nebula without being destroyed or inspected.

The smuggler ship: (voluntary recruiter)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Once per night phase, you can approach another player about joining forces with you, offering them some of the weapons in your cargo hold if they'll protect you from attack and inspection- they may say yes or no, but they might find the desire for weapons and defensive countermeasures outweighs their moral objections.

The smuggler ship scries as a member of team merchant, but carries twelve chaff canisters, eight decoys and twenty salvoes of missiles.

Locations in the nebula:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Space is vast, and the chance of running into anything more complex than asteroid debris and nebula gas is vanishingly small, but there is a chance of discovering something more valuable within the nebula, if you know where and when to look.

The abandoned fortress:
    This alien fortress drifts through the nebula as a relic of a forgotten war, but might be discovered by a sensor focus- rumour has it that this fortress was evacuated in such a hurry that much of its armament was left behind, potentially to be looted by the crews of enterprising vessels.

The Helgraf cluster:
    This part of the nebula, towards the far side, renders sensor focus impossible due to excessive interference. Some say that a long abandoned alien warship may lie here, its sensors still sweeping the area even though its crew are long since dead.

Automated defence platform:
    Leftover from a long forgotten war, the automated defence platform will fire missiles and lasers at any ship that gets a sensor focus on it.

Derelict survey ship:
    This ship was originally sent to survey safe routes through the nebula, but fell afoul of asteroid debris within the field, killing the crew and tearing off the engine compartment, but its sensor systems are still intact, and could be salvaged.

Items in the game:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Items will play a large part in the game, ranging from as a means of killing or defence to other more esoteric items- some items you will start with, others may appear later into the game.

Chaff canisters:
    Loaded with refractive and reflective particles as well as anti-laser aerosol gasses, chaff canisters can soak up one attack from a heavy laser battery, but missiles can avoid them.

Decoys:
    Deployed on tethers from their home ship, decoys present appealing targets to missile salvoes, each decoy able to take an attack from up to one salvo of missiles.

Missiles:
    Loaded into pods that can be set free of their home ship to fire, missiles can make an attack with only a 5% chance of giving away your location. can also be fired at approaching marine boarding parties, killing them.

Heavy Laser Batteries:
    Built as part of a warship, a heavy laser battery can be fired once every two phases, does not require ammunition, but can only fire in a straight line, leaving a 25% chance of giving away the identity of the ship firing to its victim (or to any other vessel performing a sensor focus on that portion of space)

Advanced sensor system:
    A noticeable upgrade over the sensor capabilities of the average merchantman, this system bestows capabilities equal to either the star cruiser or the star frigate on its owner.

Experimental Cloaking Device:
    When activated, it protects the ship it is on from being scried or attacked for one day, but after that its circuitry burns out, rendering it useless.

Antimatter Bomb:
    The product of alien technology, the antimatter bomb is exceedingly lethal. There are no known defences against the antimatter bomb.

Changes to standard actions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lynching:
    Spoiler
    Show
    When a lynch is made, starting with the first person to vote, each ship voting for the target fires a salvo of missiles (or possibly a heavy laser battery or an antimatter bomb) at the target, with each other voter still possessing weapons firing in sequence until the target is destroyed or no more voters remain.

Night Attacks:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The wolves may target a number of ships equal to their own with either missiles, lasers or an antimatter bomb, targeting no more ships than there are in their fleet. Focusing fire on any one ship is more likely to destroy it, and to reduce the chance of being detected, but it also runs the risk of not defeating team merchant before they reach the other side of the nebula.

Boarding:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any ship with a contingent of marines may, during the night phase, attempt a boarding action against another player, seizing that ship and anything aboard it, pressing it into service as part of their faction. Any ship that still has missiles may fire them to resist a boarding action, killing the contingent of marines. Also, any boarded ship with a contingent of marines expends those marines in defending the ship.

Other hazards:

Spoiler
    Show
    Mind Control Entity:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Each phase, an unknown alien referred to only as the mind control entity picks a target at random among the surviving ships in the game- for the duration of that phase, they act opposite to their usual intentions.

Feedback will be greatly appreciated, especially since I changed so much from the standard rules for my first offering- and I don't have too much confidence in what I'm doing as yet (particularly since armament numbers were plucked out of thin air rather than carefully managed).

Apologies for any errors and discrepancies in formatting and nomenclature- if you notice any, please bring them to my attention so I can correct and/or clarify them.
    Last edited by Mercenary Pen; 2012-02-10 at 05:13 AM.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Orc in the Playground

Phew...
    Took a while to read, but it looks pretty good.
    It's completely different from any werewolf game I've ever played, so I didn't directly understand some of the actions and items.

When I first saw 'Nebula Pirates' I thought it was going to be some sort of steampunk/magical-flying-ship/sky pirates thingy. Space pirates are cool too, I guess...

Also, lots of items, is it balanced enough, or is it just instant win for one side?

My extended collection of avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony Tarquin by Dirtytabs

Killer Klown by Ceika

Stroop by Mr Gone

9. - Top - End - #639
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias2207 View Post
    Phew...
    Took a while to read, but it looks pretty good.
    It's completely different from any werewolf game I've ever played, so I didn't directly understand some of the actions and items.

When I first saw 'Nebula Pirates' I thought it was going to be some sort of steampunk/magical-flying-ship/sky pirates thingy. Space pirates are cool too, I guess...

Also, lots of items, is it balanced enough, or is it just instant win for one side?
    Took a while to write too, mostly because I was trying to keep to the vision of the game that first came to me

Nope, working with a real Nebula here, not just the clouds...

Yeah, I felt it would be truer to sci-fi in general if defences were common enough that kills will be drawn out affairs that leave a chance of surviving if they don't hit you hard enough- and the traditional baning system didn't really fit. I'm actually more concerned about running out of weapons mid game, particularly if the pirates manage to take out the frigate and the cruiser early on, since lasers are the only non-consumable weapons in the game, and they require a recharge.
    Part of YugiohITP

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the Star Frigate says it carries 'four salvoes or missiles', but otherwise it looks good.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Well, the Star Frigate says it carries 'four salvoes or missiles', but otherwise it looks good.
    Typo corrected, as were a few other cases of the same typo during writing...
    Part of YugiohITP

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm... Looking over it, is there a difference between a laser battery and a heavy laser battery? The Star Frigate is listed as having the former, while only the latter is included in the item lists...

Quote Originally Posted by RuneboundShade View Post
    Oh yes, it takes time to get good at WW, but it doesn't to learn how to play at WW. There actually two different things...
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch Knight View Post
    Anyone interested in helping me develop and run a Mass Effect themed Werewolf game before Mass Effect 3 is released?

I figure the WW role is probably best given to 'Cerberus', and the villager roles the crew of the Normandy.

Would Neutrals would be Rachni?

In any case, it's possible I would be, but I'm not certain... I might prefer to play in it.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

@Mercenary Pen:

How are you going to protect the pirates from having a single recruitment out who they are to everyone?

Do lynch votes still cause attacks even if they aren't a part of the winning wagon?
    The BareFoot Programmer

14. - Top - End - #644
    Troll in the Playground

Hm... Looking over it, is there a difference between a laser battery and a heavy laser battery? The Star Frigate is listed as having the former, while only the latter is included in the item lists...
    Should have been corrected to heavy laser battery

Quote Originally Posted by TBFProgrammer View Post
    @Mercenary Pen:

How are you going to protect the pirates from having a single recruitment out who they are to everyone?

Do lynch votes still cause attacks even if they aren't a part of the winning wagon?
    First answer, need to think on that, but it'll be very hard to recruit a pirate due to the number of missiles they carry (and in the case of the battlecruiser, the presence of pirate marines)

Lynch votes only cause attacks when part of the winning wagon (and when there are available weapons to attack with- and I won't be making the chart of who has fired what public... you could start a bandwagon without any weapons and run down those of the people further down).

In the event of an entire bandwagon without weapons, we go down the list of the next highest until we reach a wagon with weapons.
    Part of YugiohITP

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm still seeing it as just a plain laser battery for some reason...

16. - Top - End - #646
    Troll in the Playground

I'm still seeing it as just a plain laser battery for some reason...
    That'd be because I responded to posts first, and then forgot to make the edit- it should be corrected now.
    Part of YugiohITP

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ogre in the Playground

Based on ME 1 or 2? I have more experience with the second one, but anyway, I'd be interessed as well.

@Mercenary Pen: Do the defensive items have to be actively used or do they work whenever needed, and in the first case, are they spent after use, even if they were not needed?

I also didn't get what the Mind Control Entity actually does. It changes the player's team or power?

But worse still, I think it's the smuggler's recruit. What happens if it recruits a pirate? Does the other pirates know that? What stops the first pirate from giving the other pirates up? I mean, it sounds like the recruited player joins the smugglers.
    Last edited by Gray Mage; 2012-02-09 at 06:38 PM.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    @Mercenary Pen: Do the defensive items have to be actively used or do they work whenever needed, and in the first case, are they spent after use, even if they were not needed?

I also didn't get what the Mind Control Entity actually does. It changes the player's team or power?

But worse still, I think it's the smuggler's recruit. What happens if it recruits a pirate? Does the other pirates know that? What stops the first pirate from giving the other pirates up? I mean, it sounds like the recruited player joins the smugglers.
    Defensive items function on automatic, considering that you'd almost have to set them to automatic in character, just to respond fast enough to incoming attacks.

Mind control entity means the affected player works against their team for that phase, powers remain the same.

Well, I had envisioned the recruited player joining the smugglers, but hadn't worked through the 'recruit a pirate' scenario- but considering that its a voluntary recruit, there would be no compulsion to divulge the relevant information, nor any requirement not to double cross the smuggler once they've given you weapons... to some extent I'm expecting the smuggler to get screwed over if he tries to recruit anyone other than merchantmen during the opening phases of the game.
    Part of YugiohITP

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Defensive items function on automatic, considering that you'd almost have to set them to automatic in character, just to respond fast enough to incoming attacks.
    So, what does the auto-self baner do?

Mind control entity means the affected player works against their team for that phase, powers remain the same.
    I'm sorry, but I'm a bit skepitical as how that can be enforced and not completely screw the pirates.

Well, I had envisioned the recruited player joining the smugglers, but hadn't worked through the 'recruit a pirate' scenario- but considering that its a voluntary recruit, there would be no compulsion to divulge the relevant information, nor any requirement not to double cross the smuggler once they've given you weapons... to some extent I'm expecting the smuggler to get screwed over if he tries to recruit anyone other than merchantmen during the opening phases of the game.
    If the pirate join the smugglers he'd divulge the information based on the fact that it'd mean he and the other smugglers wouldn't be investigated or kynched anymore, since every bad guy would be known, or even likely avoid NKs, since the game will likely end sooner, so less oportunities for being hit.

Mind you, a lot of problems could be avoided if you were to make the pirates blind, IMO.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

20. - Top - End - #650

Vampire V: Paris by Night has finally ended...

It is clear I need an active co-admin if I am going to run Vampire again. My ability to stay timely has clearly fallen off the rails entirely.

On the plus side, I finally have a spreadsheet design I'm happy with for tracking most all of the variables in the game. Once the thread has had some time to chew over the post-game, I'll clear it up for use in a (maybe) future installment.
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Pixie in the Playground

Welcome Back, EK!
    I don't have much ability to balance roles in terms of WW but I am able to provide help with lore and characters. I love ME, and have a perfect playthrough 1 and 2 for an awesome start in 3
    Previous Wins
    Spoiler
    Show

Sharn, the Broken city - Serial Killer (neutral)
    The Demons - Vampire (neutral)
    Universal Smash Bros 4 - Luigi (mason)

Spoiler
    Show

Trophies (deserved or not)

22. - Top - End - #652
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Medieval WW has ended in a Wolf victory.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Halfling in the Playground

And a glorious victory it was.
    My avatar is by Matthias. Thanks a lot <3

24. - Top - End - #654

Aye. My favourite part has to be when I knew we'd won, and I just had to have one last dig at you guys.

Sorry for that, by the way. >.>

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

25. - Top - End - #655
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hooray! I'm glad you guys made out well. It's a shame I didn't get to participate much...
    Awesome Lion Avatar by the wonderful Mr. Saturn. Thanks

I have a bloog now. Go check it out if you love strange poetry.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Troll in the Playground

So, what does the auto-self baner do?
    That was merely my original clunky attempt to describe the use of automatic defence items in place of ordinary baning- but since everyone does it, I'll downgrade them to villager.

I'm sorry, but I'm a bit skepitical as how that can be enforced and not completely screw the pirates.

If the pirate join the smugglers he'd divulge the information based on the fact that it'd mean he and the other smugglers wouldn't be investigated or kynched anymore, since every bad guy would be known, or even likely avoid NKs, since the game will likely end sooner, so less oportunities for being hit.

Mind you, a lot of problems could be avoided if you were to make the pirates blind, IMO.
    Okay, I see where you're coming from, and so it needs a little more thought, but blind pirates could be a solution.
    Part of YugiohITP

27. - Top - End - #657
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm new and inexperienced here, but Penguinator did that silly mistake of his. Sorry.
    Last edited by Ur-Quan; 2012-02-10 at 06:08 PM.
    My avatar is by Matthias. Thanks a lot <3

28. - Top - End - #658

Quote Originally Posted by Ur-Quan View Post
    I'm new and inexperienced here, but Penguinator did the most team-crushing mistake I've ever seen before.

Me: "Hey guys, I've got a seer contact, he says TASROTH has to die."
    THREE minutes later
    Penguinator: "Yeah 'tis cool, kill him!!"

You cooked your own recipe :(
    You'd be surprised how often that's not picked up on. And besides that, Pengi is inexperienced with being a seer as well, so do give him a break.

I mean, would you like to be so criticised after making a silly mistake like that as seer and paying for it?

Thought not.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Dwarf in the Playground

And it’s not like you haven’t given out a whole lot of info Ur. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Ur-Quan View Post
    Well, as the most junior of masons, feel free to contact me with information for our little Brotherhood. Although you already know half of us :(.
    We love plural first person personal pronouns.
    Rejoice in the bosom of white text our child.
    Avatar by Gnomish Wanderer! (::) invisible cookies (::)

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

To be fair, that information was given out to protect another Mason at first, and then he figured he might as well make himself a hub.

(By the way, &we, what happened to your Nexus character?)