Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 32
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Pyromancer999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Background- So, whenever it comes to magic, most people aren't satisfied. It's either too powerful, not powerful enough, needs this, that, and the other thing. However, that's what homebrewed magic systems are for, and this one aims to please. Slightly inspired by everything I've seen on OGL magic systems, I've decided to make one of my own, doing something that hasn't been done before, at least to my knowledge. Skills. Not, "Oh hey, let's made a Knowledge(Arcana) check, then mimic a spell". It's "I got a skill for shapeshifting, illusions, and other stuff". It's "I don't have to look up a spell to do what I want." It's "I can make magic do what I want, and incorporate it into any character with minimal hassle". Plus some other stuff. Please enjoy!

    Metaskills


    So, just what is a metaskill? It's a skill that has greater capability than a normal skill, like Bluff, Hide....or Use Rope. In any case, most oftenly, metaskills grant magic effects. Metaskills operate like normal skills, except in the following cases:
    • Metaskills have multiple uses, oftenly one or two, and are more powerful than a normal skill
    • If a character fails a skill check for a metaskill roll, the effect manifests in a way that harms the user(ex. a use of Energy Manipulation affects the caster as its target).
    • On a natural 1, the effect manifests in the same way as a failed check, but as though +10 had been added to the DC(ex. a character tries to use Energy Manipulation to deal 1d6 cold damage, and rolls a natural 1(DC 10). He gets effected as though hit by a DC 20 Energy Manipulation effect(3d6 cold damage).
    • Metaskills are not the part of any class list(excepting the Thaumaturge, below), and must be purchased through the Magically Inclined feat.
    • Metaskill checks can never be made untrained
    • Unlike normal skills, you may choose the ability score affiliated with a metaskill, so long as it is a mental ability.


    List of Metaskills(please excuse the lack of tables with example DCs)
    Spoiler
    Show

    Energy Manipulation
    Spoiler
    Show

    You know how to manipulate energy, at least enough to put out elemental blasts. Like Craft, Energy Manipulation is a bunch of skills under one heading, having one type of Energy Manipulation skill for each energy type, so Energy Manipulation(Fire) and Energy Manipulation(Cold) are separate skills.

    Check

    Blasting
    You make a check to determine the amount of damage you may deal. It is a DC 5 check to deal 1 point of energy damage with this skill, and DC 10 deals 1 die of damage as appropriate for the energy type: 1d6(Force, sonic) or 1d8(other types). The DC increases by 5 for each additional die of damage you deal. You may deal this damage as a touch attack. Increasing the range increases the DC as following:

    {table]Range| DC

    1 Target +10 ft| +2

    Cone 5 ft| +2

    Line 10ft|+2

    Burst, spread, or other similar area 5ft| +3

    Cylinder or Sphere 5 ft| +3
    [/table]

    Energy Resistance

    Unlike most skill checks, for this use of Energy Manipulation, you simply make an Energy Manipulation check, granting the target energy resistance equal to the result/2 If this would grant energy resistance greater than 40, you may instead grant immunity to the chosen energy type. This effect lasts for 1 round per skill point you have invested. This effects only one person at a time, but may affect a wider range through the distance enhancements for the energy, affecting allies or enemies as you please.

    Energy Shield


    You can create shields of energy. You may attempt a DC 10 check to give a +1 bonus to one person's natural armor. The DC of this check increases by 10 for each additional +1 NA bonus you wish to bestow.


    Body Enhancement
    Spoiler
    Show


    You know how to enhance a body's movements and functioning, amongst other things.

    Check

    You may enhance only one individual at a time with this metaskill.

    This skill's effects only last a number of rounds equal to the number of skill ranks you have in this skill. In order to continue an effect to make it last longer than it normally would, you must make another Body Enhancement check that has a DC equal to the original DC to the enhancement +2. If it succeeds, the effect continues. The DC increases by 2 for each further round you attempt to make it last after.

    Enhancement options are the following:

    Body Functions

    You may grant bonuses to abilities, if only for a time. The DC for a +1 bonus to an ability is 10, increasing the DC by 5 for each further +1 bonus you grant. This may only affect one ability score at a time. A failed check decreases the chosen score by 1/2 the intended bonus for the same duration. You may also decrease an enemy's ability score by 1 with a DC 15 Body Enhancement check, increasing the DC by 5 for each further -1 to the ability score.

    Speed

    You may increase or decrease any target figure's speed by 5 ft with a DC 10 Body Enhancement check, adding 5 to the DC for each further 5ft of enhancement or decrease. You may grant a target a speed it does not have(ex. flight) with a DC 20 Body Enhancement check, giving it a speed of 10 ft in the chosen speed. This speed cannot be enhanced by another Body Enhancement check, but can be added to by adding 5 to the DC of the check for each +5 ft of the movement.

    Protection

    You may toughen one's body to withstand harsh blows. You may attempt a DC 10 check to give a +1 bonus to one person's natural armor. The DC of this check increases by 10 for each additional +1 NA bonus you wish to bestow.


    Necromancy
    Spoiler
    Show

    You know how to work with spirits. Amongst other things.

    Check

    Talk with Spirits

    You may talk with spirits. Summoning a spirit to talk with has a DC equal to the appropriate Knowledge check it would take to find out what you wish to know + 10. This is reduced to +5 if you have some part of the creature's body with you. You may only ask three questions of spirits, requiring you to summon them again if you have more questions.

    Corpse-Raising

    You may raise undead by filling them with just enough residue of spirits that they may do as you command. Raising the corpse of a 1HD creature is a DC20 Necromancy check, and the DC increases by 5 for each HD the creature had in life. Raising a corpse applies the Zombie or Skeleton template to the targeted creature. The DC increases by 10 if you intend to raise a creature that can be created through Create Undead, and increases by 20 if the creature is creatable through Create Greater Undead. You may only have a number of such creatures with total HD equaling 1/2 the number of skill points you have in this skill x the ability score modifier for the ability score you chose for this skill.


    Summoning
    Spoiler
    Show


    You know how to summon things.

    Check

    You may summon things with a Summoning check. Summoning a 1HD creature has a DC of 10, increasing by 5 for each additional HD of the creature. Summoned creatures may not use abilities like Energy Drain. You may also summon objects, with the DC equaling the object's weight x 5. Items may not be summoned if magical in nature or are rare, or precious.

    Unsummoning


    You may attempt to banish a creature summoned by someone else. You may do this by making a Summoning check with a DC equal to the DC it took the summoner to summon the creature + 5.


    Phantom-Weaving
    Spoiler
    Show

    You know how to make illusions.

    Check

    Illusion-Crafting

    You may make an illusion that fools the senses. You may make an illusion that targets any sense, such as sight(like a Silent Image), smell(False Scent trail), or hearing(false sounds). The DC for a Phantom-Weaving check used this way is 10 + 5 x the number of senses to be fooled. Whenever an individual encounters your illusions, it makes a Sense Motive check with a DC equal to your Phantom-Weaving check result to make it. If successful, the illusion is disbelieved. These illusions last a number of rounds equal to the number of skill points you have invested in this skill. In order to continue an effect to make it last longer than it normally would, you must make another Phantom-Weaving check that has a DC equal to the original DC to the enhancement +2. If it succeeds, the effect continues. The DC increases by 2 for each further round you attempt to make it last after. These illusions may be crafted over yourself, although if you attack during this time, you must make a Phantom-Weaving check afterwards as though you were trying to sustain it.

    Shadow-Crafting

    You may make your illusions partially real. This increases the Phantom-Weaving check by a number equal to 1/2 the number of percentage the illusion is to be made real(so a 50% real creature would add 25 to the DC to craft it. You may make phantom creatures with this ability, which act as the original creatures, except that should an opponent succeed on their check to disbelieve the illusion, their abilities and attacks only have a percentage chance of working on such individuals equal to their realness percentage.

    Mindstriking

    You may create an illusion that frightens or similarly targets an individual in a way that deals damage to their body or mind. You may deal 1 point of ability damage to all that interact with an illusion of yours, adding 10 to the DC of the Phantom-Weaving check per 1 point of ability damage to be dealt, which is dealt once during the point of the illusion's duration, with the target getting a Will save to avoid the effect, with a DC equal to 10 + ability score modifier + number of skill ranks in this skill. This does not work on subjects who have already disbelieved the illusion delivering this attack.


    Individuals with 5 ranks in this skill gain a +2 bonus to Hide checks.
    Individuals with 5 ranks in Hide gain a +2 bonus to Phantom-Weaving checks to make oneself unseen.


    Divination
    Spoiler
    Show


    You know how to find things and know the future.

    Check

    You may find things. You may attempt a DC 10 check to find an object within 30 ft. This acts as the Scrying spell, except that the Will Save modifiers act as DC modifiers for your check, and the DC increases by 1 for every additional 30 ft you expand your searching range to, and +5 for every mile.

    Future-Finding

    You may attempt a DC 20 Divination check to see 10 minutes into the future. This check increases by 10 for every hour you intend to see into the future, and by 30 for each day you intend to see into the future.


    Movement Manipulation
    Spoiler
    Show

    You can affect how people's bodies move and work.

    Check

    You can bestow conditions and forced movement upon people. It is a DC 10 check to forcibly move a creature 5 ft in any one direction, and you add 5 to such checks for each additional 5 ft of forced movement. You may also daze and dazzle a creature with a DC 10 check, render a creature flat-footed or pinned with a DC 15 check, blind or deafen with a DC 20 check, stun with a DC 30 check, paralyze with a DC 50 check, and render helpless with a DC 80 check.

    Individuals with 5 or more ranks in Energy Manipulation(Cold) gain a +2 bonus to checks to paralyze.


    Transmutation
    Spoiler
    Show


    You know how to transform your body.

    Check

    You may turn yourself into different beings. It is a DC 15 check to duplicate Disguise Self(as per the Minor Shapechange ability of Changelings), and a DC 25 check to duplicate the Alter Self spell. You may also attempt a DC 20 check to transform yourself into a creature with 1 HD or less, adding 5 to the DC for each additional HD a creature you wish to transform into has. You may only access the extraordinary special and natural attacks of the creature and its extraordinary physical qualities, along with whatever an Alter Self spell would grant you.



    Metaskill Uses of existing skills:

    Spoiler
    Show

    Heal
    Spoiler
    Show

    Magical Healing
    You may make a Heal check to heal someone on-the spot. Unlike most skill rolls, there is no DC, but the results are determined by the Heal check result. You heal the target 1 point of hp, and an additional amount of HP equal to the check/2.


    Craft
    Spoiler
    Show


    Craft(magic item)
    You may craft magic items of one type using this skill(so there's Craft(wand), Craft(Magic Weapons and Armor), etc.). You may only make magic items out of masterwork items. Just like masterwork items, the magic component is done separately. Firstly, you must be able to create an effect similar to the one you wish to create in the magic item. Then, you make a (meta) skill roll for the appropriate effect, adding 50 to the DC. If successful, you pay 15 x DC gp to create the item, and 5 x DC in XP. If you create an item that grants skill bonuses to a metaskill, you must choose one specific use of that metaskill and the bonus can only be equal to up to 1/4 your skill ranks in that skill.




    New Feat:


    Magically Inclined
    Benefit:
    Choose one metaskill. You gain that metaskill as a cross-class skill. Alternatively, you may choose to gain usage of one metaskill useage of one skill you have as a class skill.

    Think I'm done here, although this may be subject to change. Please PEACH/Comment.
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2011-09-02 at 11:20 PM.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

    Awesome Quotes:

    Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.


    Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Welknair's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Surrounded by Books
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills? (WIP)

    Interesting. So this is akin to a seed-based system, but each seed uses a different skill. What would a spellcasting class looks like?
    Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

    Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

    Extended Homebrewer's Signature

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Pyromancer999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills? (WIP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Interesting. So this is akin to a seed-based system, but each seed uses a different skill. What would a spellcasting class looks like?
    Basically, yes. Not sure about the DCs yet, but they'll stay as-is for the time being. The spellcasting class, which is in the works, will use a Mana Point system, where basically you expend points to add to your roll, allowing higher DC uses of the various skills.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

    Awesome Quotes:

    Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.


    Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Welknair's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Surrounded by Books
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills? (WIP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    Basically, yes. Not sure about the DCs yet, but they'll stay as-is for the time being. The spellcasting class, which is in the works, will use a Mana Point system, where basically you expend points to add to your roll, allowing higher DC uses of the various skills.
    Ah, kinda like what I did with the Namegiven. I look forward to seeing it.
    Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

    Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

    Extended Homebrewer's Signature

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    ...
    This seems pretty good, actually.

    However, these skills are far superior to non-magic skills, while, at times, characters might need non-magic skills over magic skills. Classes with little skill points/lvl are at a strong disadvantage, but on the whole:

    I like this. A lot.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Pyromancer999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryad View Post
    ...
    This seems pretty good, actually.

    However, these skills are far superior to non-magic skills, while, at times, characters might need non-magic skills over magic skills. Classes with little skill points/lvl are at a strong disadvantage, but on the whole:

    I like this. A lot.
    Thanks. The reason behind the metaskills not only requiring a feat to be used by most characters, and as cross-class skills at that(excepting the magic class for this I have planned when this is done being critiqued), is that 1) Mages should have the best access to such skills, and also 2) These are meant to be more powerful than other skills. That's why they're more difficult to get, although I am considering allowing them to just be gained as class skills by the feat, and putting in an option to just gain two as cross-class skills.

    Also, apparently the Jack of All Trades feat lets people use any skill untrained, even if it would require trading. I'm thinking of letting it apply to metaskills, but only up to a certain DC, like DC 10 or DC 15.

    Thoughts on all this?
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

    Awesome Quotes:

    Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.


    Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Welknair's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Surrounded by Books
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    Also, apparently the Jack of All Trades feat lets people use any skill untrained, even if it would require trading. I'm thinking of letting it apply to metaskills, but only up to a certain DC, like DC 10 or DC 15.

    Thoughts on all this?
    Well without any ranks, they likely aren't going to make checks above DC 15 consistently.


    You can't take 20 with Metaskills, can you?
    Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

    Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

    Extended Homebrewer's Signature

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Actually, I was most appreciative of the... Possible implications this could have for magic in general. We could just do away with casters altogether, and allow any dolt to pick up the feats and skills to perform these magics (obviously, with one or two specialist classes who really excel at these skills).

    Magic would no longer be class-specific, which would greatly increase the adaptability and individuality of characters. Fighters could specialize in this to complement their techniques, rather than spending a few feats and then spending the rest of their class specials on feats that they'd seldom use anyway. Rogues could use a magic skill to complement their thieving abilities, cloak them, or otherwise help them. Rangers would probably use their ordinary casting anyway (which is brilliant, since I've never been able to appreciate why they should be casters to begin with, so this would definitely free up some class features for maybe some skirmish, or just a druid-like animal companion), and having such a skill, which can be called upon on demand, is certainly so much more helpful than going: 'I can heal 1d8 hit points once a day!'
    Barbarians could also benefit from one or two of these skills greatly.

    All in all, this kind of magic could free up a lot of possibilities, and may make a lot of character concepts much more interesting, more thrilling, more appealing and more fun.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Pyromancer999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Well without any ranks, they likely aren't going to make checks above DC 15 consistently.
    That's true.
    You can't take 20 with Metaskills, can you?
    Hmm....I want to say yes for trained practitioners, although it'd take a lot longer, like hours. Flavor-wise, it'd be like a long-term ritual to build up energy to summon a super-powerful being or gain enough energy to destroy a town. Something like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryad View Post
    Actually, I was most appreciative of the... Possible implications this could have for magic in general. We could just do away with casters altogether, and allow any dolt to pick up the feats and skills to perform these magics (obviously, with one or two specialist classes who really excel at these skills).

    Magic would no longer be class-specific, which would greatly increase the adaptability and individuality of characters. Fighters could specialize in this to complement their techniques, rather than spending a few feats and then spending the rest of their class specials on feats that they'd seldom use anyway. Rogues could use a magic skill to complement their thieving abilities, cloak them, or otherwise help them. Rangers would probably use their ordinary casting anyway (which is brilliant, since I've never been able to appreciate why they should be casters to begin with, so this would definitely free up some class features for maybe some skirmish, or just a druid-like animal companion), and having such a skill, which can be called upon on demand, is certainly so much more helpful than going: 'I can heal 1d8 hit points once a day!'
    Barbarians could also benefit from one or two of these skills greatly.

    All in all, this kind of magic could free up a lot of possibilities, and may make a lot of character concepts much more interesting, more thrilling, more appealing and more fun.
    Yeah, this is basically the thinking behind this.
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2011-09-01 at 05:10 PM.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

    Awesome Quotes:

    Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.


    Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    You can't take 20 with Metaskills, can you?
    I'd say it should follow the normal rules with skills. So you can't take 20 for something with a penalty for failure, but you could take 20 to grant energy resistance (but of course it'd take 20 times as long as a single check.)

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Pyromancer999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yitzi View Post
    I'd say it should follow the normal rules with skills. So you can't take 20 for something with a penalty for failure, but you could take 20 to grant energy resistance (but of course it'd take 20 times as long as a single check.)
    All of it has a chance of failure, whether it be something like the energy resistance you intended for an ally is given to an enemy. Or your ally could receive vulnerability to the chosen energy type.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

    Awesome Quotes:

    Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.


    Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Perhaps a casting class also occasionally gains magically inclined as a bonus feat...
    This actually seems pretty good. However, it means power depends a lot more on skill-boosting magic items, which, due to exponential WBL, would allow your skill bonus to skyrocket. This already happens at epic levels with spellcraft for epic spells, but with your system it would happen from low-mid levels.
    Last edited by 137ben; 2011-09-01 at 08:23 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If Orcus was a nesting doll, that would certainly make the whole thing work smoother. When you cast a level 1 summoning spell, you summon the little Orcus from the middle, but when you cast Gate, you get the really big Orcus that holds all the small Orcuses.

    Extended Signature

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Pyromancer999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Perhaps a casting class also occasionally gains magically inclined as a bonus feat...
    The casting class for this gets bonuses to rolls by expending points, amongst other things.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

    Awesome Quotes:

    Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.


    Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    All of it has a chance of failure, whether it be something like the energy resistance you intended for an ally is given to an enemy. Or your ally could receive vulnerability to the chosen energy type.
    Oh, even the things with no DC have the natural-1 rule? If so, then of course you couldn't take 20.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Pyromancer999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yitzi View Post
    Oh, even the things with no DC have the natural-1 rule? If so, then of course you couldn't take 20.
    What do you mean? It has a DC. Sort of.
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2011-09-01 at 10:34 PM.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

    Awesome Quotes:

    Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.


    Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Basically, the 'natural 1' rule isn't a rule, as such, but an effect that applies to attack rolls and saves. It means that a natural roll of 1, no matter the modifiers, results in an automatic failure; there is always a 5% chance of failure.

    Skills don't suffer from this effect. For instance, if I want to achieve something with a skill difficulty of 15, and I have a +14 bonus to the roll, I don't need to make the skill check, since my minimum result would be 15; enough to pass the difficulty class of the task at hand.

    As such, there isn't always a chance of failure for skills, which is what Yitzi meant. Several of your skill effects here have a low difficulty class; some even as low s 5. Needless to say, an effect with a difficulty class of 5 cannot normally fail; the average amount of ranks in a skill at first level is already 4, enough to automatically succeed on the skill check, provided the character does not need to apply negative modifiers from things like low ability scores.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    I wish I knew...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    So... similar to Truenaming only... fuctional. I like this concept.

    Word of warning: limit applicability of magic items and other generally used methods of rapidly and powerfully increasing skill checks to avoid abusing these rules in ways you didn't expect.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

    My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Pyromancer999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryad View Post
    Basically, the 'natural 1' rule isn't a rule, as such, but an effect that applies to attack rolls and saves. It means that a natural roll of 1, no matter the modifiers, results in an automatic failure; there is always a 5% chance of failure.

    Skills don't suffer from this effect. For instance, if I want to achieve something with a skill difficulty of 15, and I have a +14 bonus to the roll, I don't need to make the skill check, since my minimum result would be 15; enough to pass the difficulty class of the task at hand.

    As such, there isn't always a chance of failure for skills, which is what Yitzi meant. Several of your skill effects here have a low difficulty class; some even as low s 5. Needless to say, an effect with a difficulty class of 5 cannot normally fail; the average amount of ranks in a skill at first level is already 4, enough to automatically succeed on the skill check, provided the character does not need to apply negative modifiers from things like low ability scores.
    Oh. Well that's true.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    So... similar to Truenaming only... fuctional. I like this concept.
    Thanks.
    Word of warning: limit applicability of magic items and other generally used methods of rapidly and powerfully increasing skill checks to avoid abusing these rules in ways you didn't expect.
    Not entirely sure what you mean by this. Could you clarify?
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2011-09-02 at 01:01 PM.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

    Awesome Quotes:

    Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.


    Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    What do you mean? It has a DC. Sort of.
    Not really; the result of the skill check determines the effect, but there is no DC that you fail by not beating; as such, if not for the special natural 1 rule for metaskills described in the OP, there would be no penalty for failure (due to no way to fail.)

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Welknair's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Surrounded by Books
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    Not entirely sure what you mean by this. Could you clarify?
    Unless you add special qualifiers, players will hoard skill-boosting items like they're made of solid gold. Such items become significantly more powerful when they can be used to boost casting for any character.
    Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

    Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

    Extended Homebrewer's Signature

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    I wish I knew...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Unless you add special qualifiers, players will hoard skill-boosting items like they're made of solid gold. Such items become significantly more powerful when they can be used to boost casting for any character.
    This.

    If you let sliding-scale DC's determine the power output of these metaskills, then you're going to end up with Item Famliars, Items of +x Competence Bonus to [metaskill], and other shenanigans. A Truenamer can hit something like DC 60ish Truespeak checks reliably mid-level. He has to in order to do anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

    My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Pyromancer999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Currently, there's no items that boost metaskills. Still, maybe a ban or reduction on how much a skill-boosting item can boost?
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

    Awesome Quotes:

    Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.


    Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Welknair's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Surrounded by Books
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    Still, maybe a ban or reduction on how much a skill-boosting item can boost?
    I believe this may be warranted. And also know that anyone really interested in becoming adept at Metaskills will take Skill Focus.
    Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

    Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

    Extended Homebrewer's Signature

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Pyromancer999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    I believe this may be warranted. And also know that anyone really interested in becoming adept at Metaskills will take Skill Focus.
    I already knew they'd be taking Skill Focus. For the reduction, how about a max skill bonus equal to 1/2 skill ranks? And also that if a Metaskill bonus is added, the maximum bonus is equal to 1/4 skill ranks, and that it can only apply to one sort of use of a Metaskill.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

    Awesome Quotes:

    Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.


    Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Welknair's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Surrounded by Books
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    I already knew they'd be taking Skill Focus. For the reduction, how about a max skill bonus equal to 1/2 skill ranks? And also that if a Metaskill bonus is added, the maximum bonus is equal to 1/4 skill ranks, and that it can only apply to one sort of use of a Metaskill.
    Why bother capping the bonus on normal skills? But otherwise that sounds reasonable.
    Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

    Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

    Extended Homebrewer's Signature

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Pyromancer999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Why bother capping the bonus on normal skills? But otherwise that sounds reasonable.
    Eh, it's just that I don't like it when someone's like "I got an item that gives +20 to Jump!"...Or something like that. But I suppose it doesn't need restrictions on that. And since it looks like the metaskill thing is good, that's been changed.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

    Awesome Quotes:

    Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.


    Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    I wish I knew...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Typo Hunters have spotted a typo off the starboard bow!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post

    New Feat:


    Magically Inclined
    Benefit:
    Choose one metaskill. You gain that metaskill as a cross-class skill. Alternatively, you may choose to gain usage of one metaskill useage of one skill you have as a class skill.
    Methinks that should be class skill, since all skills not on yer list are already cross-class...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

    My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Pyromancer999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Typo Hunters have spotted a typo off the starboard bow!



    Methinks that should be class skill, since all skills not on yer list are already cross-class...
    The thing with Metaskills, though, is that they aren't even accessible to the non-mage classes. Still, I suppose you might have a point.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

    Awesome Quotes:

    Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.


    Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Keeper of Starlight's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Hmm....
    I definitely like this for spellcasting, but all your skills should have a key modifier. If they do at the moment it's definitely too well hidden.
    EDIT: Found it. It was too well hidden. For me. Because I skim some things. Nonetheless, some of your metaskills should rely on specific mental skills. Movement Manipulation is very much Charisma-based, using the force of your will.

    I also recommend making a few new magical uses for your examples: Bluff, Hide, and Use Rope, and make those uses only available when someone takes your feat. For instance, a very VERY high-DC Bluff Check could be your replacement for Wish: convincing reality something has happened that didn't actually happen.
    Last edited by Keeper of Starlight; 2011-09-03 at 11:26 AM.
    Avatar by Elder_Tsofu.

    Spellblade

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Pyromancer999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] You Got The Skills?

    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of Starlight View Post
    Hmm....
    I definitely like this for spellcasting, but all your skills should have a key modifier. If they do at the moment it's definitely too well hidden.
    EDIT: Found it. It was too well hidden. For me. Because I skim some things. Nonetheless, some of your metaskills should rely on specific mental skills. Movement Manipulation is very much Charisma-based, using the force of your will.
    Some of them seem like they should be keyed off certain stats, but I prefer to allow all mental stats to be available for fluff reasons and whatnot.
    I also recommend making a few new magical uses for your examples: Bluff, Hide, and Use Rope, and make those uses only available when someone takes your feat. For instance, a very VERY high-DC Bluff Check could be your replacement for Wish: convincing reality something has happened that didn't actually happen.
    Not entirely sure what Metaskill uses there would be for those skills, except Bluff.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

    Awesome Quotes:

    Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.


    Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •