Page 1 of 44 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: New Cyre (IC)

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default New Cyre (IC)

Therendor 15th, 998 YK:

The House Deneith conclave is still under construction. As such they are not officially performing any of the normal House functions. However a Paladin of the Silver Flame had enough money to move two of the House Deneith mercenaries into protecting the Paladin from harm. The two were on a leave of absence and as such the accepting of the mission was purely voluntary. Their names were Talgen d'Deneith (Trained under House renown swordsman Draco d'Deneith) and Sharwyn d'Deneith (A trained wizard and sibling of Talgen). The mission length was to be "no more than two weeks." After completing the mission the two were to travel directly to Starilaskur.

Therendor 16th, 998 YK:

Sojan d'Deneith arrives in New Cyre. The only other dragonmarked member of House Deneith in the area is Kerowyn d'Deneith. Kerowyn is an elderly House Deneith who's mission is to establish a thriving House Deneith conclave in New Cyre. Sojan is in charge of most of the paperwork and is used as little more than a secretary. He is considered to officially still be on a leave of absence yet finds himself helping out where he can.

Eyre 14th, 998 YK:

The two siblings never arrived in Starilaskur where the parents live (and are understandably worried) and they send a letter via House Sivis to Kerowyn in New Cyre.

Eyre 15th, 998 YK:
    Kerowyn (who is too busy to deal with a missing persons case and without any resources to do anything about it) sends Sojan to learn as much as he can about the dissapearance of the two siblings. She tells him everything she knows. A Paladin of the Silver Flame (Sir Braford) along with (what she assumed to be) his squire (a male elf named Karakas) hired the two for a mission that Kerowyn knew little about. She was not in charge of the two siblings and Sir Braford hired them unofficially so she wasn't involved in the deal. She does know that the Human Paladin and the Elven squire were from Thrane.

Sojan was at a loss as to how to proceed. In a bar he was directed (by Quil) to locate a female half-elf named Serra ir'Waynlen working for House Medani who has skills in such activities (also Quil). Together they investigated for clues as to the whereabouts of the missing paladin and Deneith siblings.

Eyer 20th, 998 YK:

By the end of the 20th of Eyer 998 YK, Sojan and Quil (in the form of Serra) had discovered that the Paladin was last seen in a bar called Metrol Memories located near the Old road on the south east side of town. According to a very finely dressed halfling, the paladin was here about a month back. He drank a bit too much and started talking about visions he was receiving. Darkness down the old road deep inside the earth.

The Old Road used to be a trading road that went from the settlement here across the seawall mounts and into what is now called Darguun about 100 years ago. When the Goblins took over the area now known as Darguun, the trading road fell out of use. The area had seen several raids during the last war and now the Old Road houses nothing more than abandoned and razed barns. Apparently some Goblin Merchants did use the old road recently. They told tales of strange forms of magic given life.

When it became apparent to Sojan that they would need to leave the city in order to determine what happened he informed Kerowyn that he would require the bodies of adventurers willing and capable of taking on whatever may have captured or killed the last group. Kerowyn put out the word for able bodied mercenaries who are tasked with locating two members of House Deneith. The reward for finding them alive was 1,000 golden galifers half that for the recovery of their signet rings.

The first to arrive was Emlyn d'Lyrandar who indicated that he had been summoned to House Deneith. Kerowyn looked confused at first, but then quickly explained the mission and the reward to which Emlyn accepted. Only two more were brave enough to answer House Deneith: A human female with tattoos on her face and a nondescript warforged.

Sojan convinced Kerowyn to give them a large portion up front and she only relented when he said he would make sure that he would control the spending. He was given an advance on the reward of 200 gold to start with instruction to divy it up as he saw fit.

Eyer 21st, 998 YK:

The group decides to meet at the bar to talk about their mission as well as decide what to spend their gold on. The warforged introduced "herself" as Fix with some skills as a artificer. Serra ir'Waynlen, a half-elf who helped gather information with Sojan, introduces herself and offers to continue to offer her services. Oren introduces herself as a cleric of the silver flame, not entirely what you expected by the looks of her, but then one shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. The group decided that without knowledge of what they were up against the best thing to do was to stay versatile. Fix described her aptitude with scroll making and his extensive knowledge of spells that he could craft for any situation that could arise. The group decided this was a wise use of money and agreed to depart on the morrow.

Eyer 22nd, 998 YK:

The four heroes joined together at sunrise and began their journey down the old road. The overgrown Old Road winds through rocky downs, near stands of old-growth oak, and past several abandoned farm shacks. The lonely road is empty of all travelers except for the four of you. The sun finally rises high, and yet the early morning chill never seems to leave. Most of you develop a cold sweat. You take a break at mid day and continue on your trek.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2012-01-20 at 12:46 AM.
    I'll be back September 1, 2013 November 1, 2013 to infinity and beyond!

If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: New Cyre (IC)

Play Begins

All signs of civilization have left you at this point and the terrain becomes much more rocky and hilly as the Seawall Mountain looms over you. The road takes yet another bend, cut through two steep rock formations. You almost don't notice it until it's upon you:

A fluid mass of sand (about five feet long and four feet high) shambles and flows towards you, leaving sand and debris in it's wake. It was already lurching towards you guys even before you rounded the bend giving you the impression that it knew you were here somehow.

Info
    Spoiler
    Show

None of you have Knowledge Dungoneering and are unfamiliar with the creature's strengths and weaknesses (or even what to call it). Quil you think this creature might be the "magic given life" that the Goblin Merchants spoke about (on Eyer 20th).

Initiative
    Quil: (1d20+2)[7]
    Emlyn: (1d20+1)[21]
    Fix: (1d20+3)[4]
    Oren: (1d20+2)[14]
    Sojan: (1d20+1)[16]
    Magic Sand: (1d20-1)[9]

Dragon Shaman Handbook.

3. - Top - End - #3

The green path is the "road" terrain here is normal.

The various peach colored areas are seperated by Contour Lines. Each line indicates 15 feet of elevation and requires a DC 15 climb check.

Round 1:
    Emlyn
    Sojan
    Oren
    Magic Sand
    Quil
    Fix
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2011-09-03 at 12:15 PM.

Dragon Shaman Handbook.

4. - Top - End - #4

Emlyn gives a shout as he catches sight of the strange mass of sand approaching the group.
    "What... What in the name of the Host is that?"
    He runs forward, and pulls out his whip, preparing to attack the creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    "What... What in the name of the Host is that?"
    Move: Move forward to O9
    Also Move: Draw whip.
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

OOC: Here's hoping I do this right!

Catching sight of the shambling monstrosity, Sojan's combat training kicks in. Without hesitation he places his feet and hurls his spear at the creature, giving a loud, confident yell as he does so. Recovering his balance, he yanks his morningstar off its belt loop as he answers Emyln, his eyes never leaving the target.

"It's in the way, but not for long! Come and get it!"

Drawing upon the unknown power coursing through his veins, Sojan focuses his thoughts to those of a dragon's scales. The whole party feels a tightening sensation in their skin (or plates, I guess) as their bodies become more resistant to damage.

Free: Talking
    Standard: Attack Sand Monster: Thrown Spear (+1 dex, +0 BAB) (1d20+1)[10] Damage: (1d8+3)[4]
    Move: Draw Morningstar
    Swift: Shift Aura to DR 1/Magic
    Last edited by King Tius; 2011-09-02 at 12:26 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Game
    Dwaer Depths II - Pathfinder
    Dwaer Depths Wiki Page

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

6. - Top - End - #6

Sojan's spear plunges into the blob of sand but it is immediately pushed out of the creature and falls harmlessly to the ground.

Character Knowledge:
    Spoiler
    Show

You have hit his Armor Class but everyone realizes that the attack is ineffective. Oren you know that lycanthropes are only harmed by silver and Quil you've heard of many psionic creatures that require different materials and magic to harm them. Specifically you know that Astral Constructs require magical weapons and Cerebrilith's (A demon from the Abyss) require good aligned weapons. Anyone who participated in the last war (or worked with warforged) knows that only adamantine weapons can overcome adamantine bodied warforged.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2011-09-02 at 01:36 PM.

Dragon Shaman Handbook.

7. - Top - End - #7

Frightened by the strange phenomena, Oren arms herself with bow and arrow as the others make their own attacks. Thinking she may be too easy a target on the road for whatever the thing can, she moves toward the side of the hill before taking aim.

When Sojan's spear merely passes through the sludgy sand, she recalls some of her readings. "Maybe this thing can only be hurt by a special weapon or spell!"

Unsure what else to do but confirm her own words, she looses an arrow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Free: Speak
    Move: Nock and draw, move toward hill
    Standard: Loose

Longbow (1d20+2)[18]
    Damage (1d8)[5]

8. - Top - End - #8

Spoiler
    Show

Full Round Action: Charge to P10
    Slam (1d20+2)[13] Emlyn.

The arrow penetrates the sand creature as it surges forward and you lose sight of it for a second (it looks ineffective) but find it broken in the creature's wake. It lunges across the ground at Emlyn (who suddenly lacks confidence in his whip) and quickly extends a large psudopod arm slamming it down at Emlyn who barely manages to dodge out of the way. The psudopod crashes in a spray of sand against the rocks behind her and pulls it back into it's main body.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2011-09-02 at 02:29 PM.

Dragon Shaman Handbook.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Free Action: "Water! Can any of you summon water? Maybe if we turn this thing to mud we can damage it?"
    Last edited by King Tius; 2011-09-02 at 02:54 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Game
    Dwaer Depths Wiki Page

10. - Top - End - #10

Quil
    Spoiler
    Show

The conversation you've been having with your psicrystal is interrupted by the presence of the monster. After the two of you witness the ineffectiveness of your companions attacks your gem chimes in with some advice:
    "Goods news, I know how to defeat this beast! All sand creatures are particularly weak against fire; that is how you make glass after all. When this is over you can thank me for saving the day!

Like almost everything that comes out of it's crystalline structure, you suspect your gem is lying. Neither of you have ever heard of sand creatures.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2011-09-02 at 03:10 PM.

Dragon Shaman Handbook.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quil
    <For once, I might actually have to listen to you.>
    Quil was worried; the one offensive power she knew relied on igniting things. With few other options available, she would have to see if her mind could deal the monster any damage.

Serra stands fast, her green eyes focused on the strange magical menace.
    "Keep it busy! I'm going to try something!"
    The half-elf stares, and as she does so, an eerie bass-hum begins to emanate from her. The ground near the swirling sand-entity glistens for a split-second with ectoplasm before instantly evaporating. Everyone can start to smell a faint whiff of ozone...

Spoiler
    Show

Move action: maintain a distance of 25 ft. or so from the monster.
    Standard action: manifest Matter Agitation. No save, no SR/PR, the monster takes 1 point of fire damage.
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2011-09-02 at 03:17 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Fix takes a little step to the center of the road and closer to the monster, and then she takes a little red glass vial out of one of her belt pouches. "You're heating it up? Well, it wouldn't be my first call, but I suppose it doesn't have any specific tolerance for an overabundance of heat. I have just the thing for something without specific tolerances for an overabundance of heat."

She pulls her hand back, lines up the shot, and flings a the vial at the monster. It strikes it, and a spray of liquid flame soaks the creature. "Hm. When next we are in a settlement, we should purchase the materials required for more of those. I enjoy flinging fire. It is oddly... invigorating."

Spoiler
    Show
    Free: Shift
    Move: Draw Alchemist's Fire
    Standard: Ranged Touch attack: (1d20+3)[17]
    Fire damage: (1d6)[1]
    Unless it takes a full round action to put itself out it will take (1d6)[1] fire damage next turn.
    LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

13. - Top - End - #13

Edit: Forgot the creature had -2 AC from charging.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fix pulls out the alchemist fire and throws an arching shot clearing Oren in front of him and Sojen as well. The flask strikes true, but doesn't burst, deflected off the creature by some miracle and continues it's momentum into the next square impacting the ground and sending fire and oil to all the squares around it.

Missing with a Thrown Weapon: (1d8)[7]

Fix pulls out the alchemist fire and throws an arching shot clearing Oren in front of him and Sojen as well. The flask strikes true covering the creature with oil and flame and creating a small explosion of oil and fire in the surrounding squares. Emlyn shields herself the best he can with his left arm, which catches on fire for a second but is patted out.

The sand creature takes 1 point of fire damage and catches fire. Emlyn take 1 point of splash damage

Recap from Round 1:
    Spoiler
    Show

Oren: -1 Arrow
    Sand creature: -2 HP
    Quil: -1 PP
    Emlyn: -1 HP
    Fix: -1 Alchemist Fire

Start Round 2:

Emlyn
    Sojan
    Oren
    Magic Sand
    Quil
    Fix
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2011-09-03 at 08:54 PM.

Dragon Shaman Handbook.

14. - Top - End - #14

Emlyn curses as the liquid fire from Fix's thrown flask splashes onto his arm. He quickly pats it out with his free hand, then backs away from the monster, watching it move. Desperately, he lashes out with his whip, attempting to slow it down in any way possible.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Go go desperate Trip attempt!
    Miscellaneous action: Shift to N9
    Standard Action: Trip attempt.
    (Touch Attack)
    (1d20+1)[9]
    Opposed Strength Check
    (1d20+1)[17]
    No opposed trip attempt, as I am tripping with my whip. If the attempt fails, Emlyn will drop his whip to prevent being tripped in return.
    Last edited by Goldfly; 2011-09-02 at 06:42 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Not accustomed to fighting things he can't hurt, Sojan rationalizes that if he can hit the thing hard enough, maybe it will change its mind and die politely. He steps towards the creature and brings his morningstar crashing down into its sandy...whatever.

Spoiler
    Show

Free Action: Grumbling
    Move Action: Move to O10
    Standard Action: Attack with Morningstar: (1d20+3)[9] Damage: (1d8+3)[8]

Spoiler
    Show

My Game
    Dwaer Depths Wiki Page

16. - Top - End - #16

Emlyn curses as the liquid fire from Fix's thrown flask splashes onto his arm. He quickly pats it out with his free hand, then attempts to somersault away from the monster.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Tumble to L10.
    (1d20+5)[14]

ACTION POINT:
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    Last edited by Goldfly; 2011-09-02 at 06:46 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfly View Post
    Emlyn curses as the liquid fire from Fix's thrown flask splashes onto his arm. He quickly pats it out with his free hand, then attempts to somersault away from the monster.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Tumble to L10.
    (1d6)[4]

ACTION POINT:
    (1d6)[4]
    Spoiler
    Show

Forgot you couldn't edit a roll into a post.
    (1d6)[2]

Last edited by Goldfly; 2011-09-02 at 06:47 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Emlyn uses the wall behind him to jump and tumble away from the sandy monstrosity. Sojan strides forward and swings at the blob as hard as he can, the weapon striking the creature, yet clearly doing no damage.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2011-09-02 at 08:36 PM.

Dragon Shaman Handbook.

19. - Top - End - #19

Oren watches the others working their attacks - some more inexplicable than others - and sees she's safe for the moment from the amorphous glob.

Can't think of anything else just now ...

She quickly digs her fingers into a packet of silvery dust - a holy alchemical substance called silverburn - and rubs it on the tip of an arrow, hastily whispering a prayer to the Flame to overcome this vile menace.

She then aims and looses again ...

Longbow: (1d20+2)[14]
    Damage: (1d8)[7]

20. - Top - End - #20

Oren frustrated with your lack of options you pull out your small vial of Silverburn (move action) which you then apply to an arrow (standard action). Most of the fine powder is gusted away in the wind and what little there is left of the powder does not stick to the arrow. You were told that the substance somehow affected all creatures that were harmed by silver although you can't remember now exactly how that is.

Oren You did not have enough actions left to fire the arrow.

Meanwhile the huge sandy ooze surges straight into Sojen stretching itself as if it were trying to engulf you.

Sojen you can either:
    • Take an attack of opportunity. Doing this means you are not entitled to a saving throw to avoid being engulfed.
    • Forgo the attack of opportunity and roll me a reflex save to avoid being engulfed.

Monster's turn not yet finished; waiting on Sojen.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2011-09-02 at 11:30 PM.

Dragon Shaman Handbook.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Fix holds out her hand as Oren rips open the packet of Silverburn. "No, that's not how you-" She trails off as the substance is wasted on the wind, and she sighs, as well as a warforged can sigh. I need to teach these humanoids how to use alchemical tools, it seems. Oh dear.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2011-09-03 at 02:47 PM.
    LGBTitP

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Realizing that he brought a morningstar to a magic fight, Sojan will attempt to avoid being engulfed.

Reflex Save: (1d20+1)[14]
    Spoiler
    Show

My Game
    Dwaer Depths Wiki Page

23. - Top - End - #23

You manage to bounce backward and away from the ooze which surges and collapses in on itself.

You were pushed to N10; it's in 010.

Quil's turn.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2011-09-03 at 10:48 AM.

Dragon Shaman Handbook.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quil

Serra maintains her concentration, keeping her eyes focused on the magical sand. The bass-pitch hum continues to fill the air as the smell of ozone increases, and the air around the creature begins to radiate heat.

Spoiler
    Show

Move action: maintain a 25 foot distance between Quil and the monster.
    Standard action: maintain concentration on Matter Agitation, dealing (1d4)[1] fire damage to the creature.
    PP: 2/3
    Rounds of MA left: 2/10

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Fix's eyes snap to the monster, and then she draws her crossbow, muttering to herself as she traces lines over the crossbow. As she traces the lines and patterns over her crossbow the lines began to leave glimmering silver marks, infusing the weapon with magic and power. "Let's see how this thing enjoys the bite of magic, if nothing else will work."
    LGBTitP

26. - Top - End - #26

The creature's flames finally die out from the alchemist fire; waves of heat continue to roll off of it and parts of the creature glow red as the matter agitation power continues to turn it into glass. Everyone has figured out at this point that Serra the half-elf is somehow burning it with her mind. Those with ranks in Spellcraft know that it is neither arcane nor divine.

Recap from Round 2:
    Spoiler
    Show

Oren: -1 ounce Silverburn (1 ounce remaining)
    Sand creature: -2 HP
    Fix: -1 Infusion

Start Round 3:

Emlyn
    Sojan - Make Reflex Save
    Oren
    Magic Sand -Current Turn
    Quil
    Fix
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2011-09-04 at 03:07 PM.

Dragon Shaman Handbook.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Sojan will take a step back and bring his shield up, assuming a defensive stance.

Spoiler
    Show

Move Action: Five foot step backwards
    Standard Acton: Total Defense (AC +4)

Last edited by King Tius; 2011-09-03 at 11:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Game
    Dwaer Depths Wiki Page

28. - Top - End - #28

Emlyn mutters something under his breath, then taps Sojan lightly on the back as he steps backwards.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hold turn until after Sojan takes a five foot step backwards.
    Standard Action: Cast Resistance on Sojan.

29. - Top - End - #29

Sojan backs up again trying to get away from the creature, all the while keeping it from getting to the party. Realizing that Sojan will need all the defenses he can get Emlyn quickly tears off a small piece of his cloak and mutters an incantation which causes the torn piece to vanish in a quick flare of magic.

With a free shot Oren fires another arrow at the sand ooze, it hits the creature and breaks upon impact. The creature doesn't even loose a step surging forward again trying to engulf Sojan. Almost the entire creature is glowing red from Serra at this point.

Sojan give me a reflex save (You have +1 due to Emlyn's resistance spell)
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2011-09-04 at 01:08 PM.

Dragon Shaman Handbook.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks like Sojan made the save; regardless, Quil's actions this round are pretty straightforward.

Quil

The heat radiating from the sand entity reaches a crescendo as Serra continues to stare unblinking at her target. The air ripples with heat, the smell of ozone becomes cloying, and the monster begins to glow with thermal energy.

Spoiler
    Show

Move action: maintain a 25 ft. distance from the monster.
    Standard action: maintain concentration on Matter Agitation, dealing (1d6)[4] fire damage.

Rounds left for MA: 3/10
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2011-09-04 at 06:02 PM.