New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default WARNING: There Is a Predator on RPG Sites

Hi All

I am like many of you, a member on more than one site. Having come across this thread on another one of my stops I decided it was definitely worth sharing.

Predator on RPG Sites

As you can see it also states that said individual is on other RPG sites, so I figured this was worth sharing so that everyone is aware of the issues and the danger. I have PM'd a Mod so hopefully they will sticky this or something, and anyone who is contacted in the manner in the linked thread report it immediately and maybe between us all we can ensure that those members that have received contact know that they are not alone and something can be done.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: WARNING: There Is a Predator on RPG Sites

I saw the title and was really hoping:
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh well. I live only to be disappointed.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2013-11-03 at 03:49 PM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

With the capital 'P', you were not alone

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Interesting. Thanks.
    People are strange.
    --Ron--
    Awesome Rutger Hauer Jugger Avatar by Thormag
    OSRIC Wiki & Site
    I play at The Unseen Servant PbP Forums

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for the tip. I enjoy teasing pedophiles online.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

*Considers changing listed sex and setting up sting operation.*

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thanks for the heads up.

Although it's going to be like a year before I can share my Skype details without feeling like I'm going to creep people out.
    Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    He could rip Redcloak's heart to stop nemesis Xykon and other paladins unfalled.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think it's good thing to 'tease' such people. Imagine if being sexually attracted to something to was considered unspeakably vile by the rest of society, if even mentioning it could lose you your job and ruin your life.
    Now imagine someone came up to you and told you they were also attracted, leading you along until they revealed that they were 'teasing' you. How would you feel?
    These people are sick, yes, but tormenting them because of their sickness?
    I don't see it how it helps anyone.
    I mean. . rabble rabble rabble, ignore unfortunate implications of repeating past patterns of behavior against new targets, rabble rabble rabble.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2013-11-04 at 11:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

I may be a bit dense, but even after reading the thread linked in the OP (or at least the first couple of pages) I don't understand what "predator" would mean in this context and what exactly is the problem.

Is this a guy that tries to use RPG sites to flirt with women? That might be inappropriate I guess but I don't see why there would be any reason to be alarmed.

Is he a stalker?

Is he a known criminal irl? If so what has he done?

Please enlighten me, because this is actually the first time I've heard of such a thing...
    (no sarcasm whatsoever, I'm genuinely confused and naive about this subject)
    Avatar made by Strawberries! Grazie paesà!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beer View Post
    You win the worst GM thread BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    From a different thread, even!.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmageddon View Post
    I may be a bit dense, but even after reading the thread linked in the OP (or at least the first couple of pages) I don't understand what "predator" would mean in this context and what exactly is the problem.

Is this a guy that tries to use RPG sites to flirt with women? That might be inappropriate I guess but I don't see why there would be any reason to be alarmed.

Is he a stalker?

Please enlighten me, because this is actually the first time I've heard of such a thing...
    I believe Rogerd is talking 'bout this kind of predator...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    I believe Rogerd is talking 'bout this kind of predator...
    So basically the warning in the OP is for the underage boys and girls of this forum?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

So basically the warning in the OP is for the underage boys and girls of this forum?
    Not only them. It's for all the ones interested in keeping an eye open, be them Mods, big brothers, and so on.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Spoiler
    Show
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Why do we believe the man is a pedophile? The people on RPG and GiTP aren't ... children. Mostly. A sexual deviant, yes. But pedophile?
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2013-11-04 at 07:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Anajamois View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I enjoy teasing pedophiles online.
    That is fun. Scammers too.
    white text is the bestest you might want to look for it
    DeviantART

15. - Top - End - #15

Is he a stalker?

Just reading the thread, it seems like nobody has actually reported criminal activity, although some people have talked about it at kind of "rumour" level.

What they are reporting is a large amount of suspicious activity, especially when the mods looked into it, specifically:

- contacting people by PM out of the blue, ie there was no previous contact
    - asking for personal information (in this case Skype details).
    - a lot of requests like this coming from one account
    - the account not actually being otherwise active at all on the forums (ie post count zero, just sending PMs)
    - after that account was banned, other accounts being made for the same purpose and continuing the same activity. IP banning also turned out to be ineffective.

As to the intentions of the person/people behind this, who knows. I don't think it's helpful to be throwing around labels. It's more that the pattern of activity was not really consistent with someone contacting people for legitimate reasons.

I think the warning was intended for forum members to prepare themselves by being suspicious of requests like that in the first place, and to assist the mods by reporting such messages (since it's more difficult for Mods to monitor PMs than threads).

I get the impression from the thread that in that RPG forum, taking a discussion to Skype is not uncommon, for the purposes of private roleplaying. So it gave this person a legitimate-sounding opportunity to ask for such details. Here, I know that sometimes people will ask in support threads for someone to discuss things privately, and I don't think that comes off as creepy. But if someone contacted me by PM here on giantitp, seemingly at random and asking for my Skype details/asking to chat on Skype, I would be rather suspicious.

I think the message the mods on the RPG forum are trying to get across is: if someone you don't already know contacts you asking for personal details, report the post. If that happens here I would probably recommend the same.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Question Re: WARNING: There Is a Predator on RPG Sites

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Just reading the thread, it seems like nobody has actually reported criminal activity, although some people have talked about it at kind of "rumour" level.

What they are reporting is a large amount of suspicious activity, especially when the mods looked into it, specifically:

- the account not actually being otherwise active at all on the forums (ie post count zero, just sending PMs)
    - after that account was banned, other accounts being made for the same purpose and continuing the same activity. IP banning also turned out to be ineffective.

As to the intentions of the person/people behind this, who knows. I don't think it's helpful to be throwing around labels. It's more that the pattern of activity was not really consistent with someone contacting people for legitimate reasons.

I think the warning was intended for forum members to prepare themselves by being suspicious of requests like that in the first place, and to assist the mods by reporting such messages (since it's more difficult for Mods to monitor PMs than threads).

I get the impression from the thread that in that RPG forum, taking a discussion to Skype is not uncommon, for the purposes of private roleplaying. So it gave this person a legitimate-sounding opportunity to ask for such details. Here, I know that sometimes people will ask in support threads for someone to discuss things privately, and I don't think that comes off as creepy. But if someone contacted me by PM here on giantitp, seemingly at random and asking for my Skype details/asking to chat on Skype, I would be rather suspicious.

I think the message the mods on the RPG forum are trying to get across is: if someone you don't already know contacts you asking for personal details, report the post. If that happens here I would probably recommend the same.
    OK, sounds like it might be a troll or fisherman or whatever they call them these days idk. SO yeah, nice to meet you all the same um still looking for the start up forum chat thingy...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Is he a stalker?

Quite frankly I can understand people not wanting to read through numerous pages and post to get the general gist. If you read from this link onwards it should become a lot clearer of the apparent scope and length of time that he has been at this. You'll also notice that the authorities are now involved which should clue you into the serious nature.

No, they're involved as I understand it and all people on here should be alert for anyone that suddenly asks to Skype, and should sensibly refuse, report it to a moderator and I would suggest the Mods on here network with the linked site to help gather the evidence so the authorities have everything they need.

Absolutely spot on there.

Correct, labels don't help the matter and tends to make people react negatively.

Absolutely.

Yeah, taking things to private things like Pm and stuff is very common, but what members should do, and have - is their online presence, which they use to post on forums; and the other real version used for friends and family. And at no point, under any circumstances should they crossover. Now let's say I got friendly enough with someone to want to chat by IM - I wouldn't use my real name, I'd use the same cloud email (googlemail address) to keep some anonymity.

But yes, as you've said, random requests to chat on Skype, even after a few posts should be reported without further ado.

Absolutely, well said.
    Last edited by Rogerd; 2013-11-05 at 04:44 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

I see...
    Allright then, thanks for the clarification.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Why do we believe the man is a pedophile? The people on RPG and GiTP aren't ... children. Mostly. A sexual deviant, yes. But pedophile?
    Yep. Pedophiles are interested in prepubescent sex. Here, we're talking more 'bout hebephilia, I think (the young girls cited in the post linked by the OP).
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2013-11-05 at 07:04 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Or just a guy looking for vulnerable people to grab hold of and do bad things to do. Bad being all sorts of things.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

Um... I thought the main bit relevant to the "what is he doing wrong?" question was this line: "He plays to sympathies, kindness and the loneliness of young girls and women to get them to do what he wants, and when they do he proceeds to destroy their lives."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Thanks for the heads up.

John
    On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true.- Elminster of Shadowdale

Long live Alias and Dragonbait!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Yep. Pedophiles are interested in prepubescent sex. Here, we're talking more 'bout hebephilia, I think (the young girls cited in the post linked by the OP).
    Please don't use that term ever again, unless you're being ironic.
    Epic avatar by: Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

THAT Predator would not be so easy to identify.
    *looks around*
    *cloaks*
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinArchmage View Post
    Out of interest, why not? I don't really see... what's wrong with it? (The word, not the activity).
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

26. - Top - End - #26

The term " 'bout "?
    Last edited by Maelstrom; 2013-11-06 at 04:27 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

what's wrong with using 'bout in a sentence?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

err... sure, if it hurts you, but may I ask you why? it's a medical term for a specific kind of sexual disorder.
    What's related to it, it's horrible, but the term itself is pretty neutral.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    what's wrong with using 'bout in a sentence?
    Not that I'd call it out (someone else did, I was just speculating on what he may have seen wrong with the sentence...other than this 'word', there was nothing out of place), but why even bother abbreviating a word with not only the same amount of characters, but replaced the one character with one that is no easier to type??

30. - Top - End - #30

Thanks for the heads up OP, neighborhood watch initiate.

Playing Pokemon Y:
    Safari: Charmeleon, Magmar, and Braixen
    DS Friend Code: 3668-7804-7430