New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Im starting to get worried.

I swear the spam bots are learning! At first it was stupidly obvious. It was nothing but "WATCH THIS MOVIE FOR FREE!" Then they seemed to wise up and started posting fake articles and talking about real world issues. But that also stood out like a sore thumb as discussions on the israeli/palestinian standoff really dont belong in the roleplaying forum. Now though, I swear the fake articles are getting harder to spot without opening them, except when they are spammed 5 in a row. Are we seeing the rise of skynet? Can we survive the day when robospam engulfs the earth with links to sites suggesting we surrender?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Im starting to get worried.

http://xkcd.com/810/
    (Warning: Language)
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

i agree with OP statement something must be done

watch free film here at totallynotadodgylink.haxxyourcomputer.lolz
    Last edited by The Succubus; 2013-10-30 at 08:06 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

no need to worry

btw I've seen really cool movie on the net yesterday.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

personalization.

the cookies and advertisers are trying to narrow down the ads. to make it so that only issues we care about or like are shown. this is apart of a trend in recent media to pretty much make sure everything in the internet you see only matter to the person actually seeing it, to personalize the experience.

this is a bad thing.

basically they are trying to lure you with subjects/topics and so on that matter only to you, only things we care about. filtering things down until only the interests you will click on will be shown. while everything else is filtered out.

if not stopped, it theoretically results in people only see what they like about the world, and developing a "friendly world syndrome" as a result. its all in a book I read for my mass media class I am taking this semester.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    i agree with OP statement something must be done

watch free film here at totallynotadodgylink.haxxyourcomputer.lolz
    *eye twitches, hovers mouse cursor over the Report button for 30 seconds with trigger finger feeling a little itchy*

You are evil for that Succubus.

And yet, I can't stop my self from chuckling a bit
    Last edited by Razgriez; 2013-10-30 at 08:36 AM.
    Final Fantasy XIV Dragoon custom avatar made by Iruka. Thanks Iruka.

7. - Top - End - #7

NinjaGirl

basically they are trying to lure you with subjects/topics and so on that matter only to you, only things we care about. filtering things down until only the interests you will click on will be shown. while everything else is filtered out.
    It's kind of daft when it comes to big, expensive things. I'd just bought some new skates and started seeing skate adverts everywhere, thanks to the magic of cookies. Er, thanks, but I've just bought some. I only have two feet. I don't need any more for the time being.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    if not stopped, it theoretically results in people only see what they like about the world, and developing a "friendly world syndrome" as a result. its all in a book I read for my mass media class I am taking this semester.
    I could live with that.

*Takes the blue pill.*

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Juggling Goth View Post
    It's kind of daft when it comes to big, expensive things. I'd just bought some new skates and started seeing skate adverts everywhere, thanks to the magic of cookies. Er, thanks, but I've just bought some. I only have two feet. I don't need any more for the time being.
    I know, right? I bought the collector's edition of EVE Online and yet I'm still seeing frigging cookie-adverts telling me to buy it! Although in fairness, that changed since I did an Amazon search for a 2DS and I'm now having Pokemon adverts shoved in my face. -.-

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Studoku View Post
    I could live with that.

*Takes the blue pill.*
    which is a completely inaccurate view of the world, and would lead you to becoming very extreme in your views, as nothing would contradict you as you consume more internet media, which would lead to very bad things happening when they do, which they eventually will. basically it would lead to a splintering of opinions and viewpoints even more extreme than the polarized debates that happen today.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

They said I was mad for intentionally searching out things I knew would annoy me! Mad they said! Well who's laughing now?

*laughs madly*
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

which is a completely inaccurate view of the world, and would lead you to becoming very extreme in your views, as nothing would contradict you as you consume more internet media, which would lead to very bad things happening when they do, which they eventually will. basically it would lead to a splintering of opinions and viewpoints even more extreme than the polarized debates that happen today.
    See also: how to mess with annoyingly hardcore Bayesians. Eventually you can drive their repeatedly updated posterior into complete lunacy. Which seems to be pretty much what's happened with LessWrong, although they managed that all by themselves. Which, really, just makes it funnier.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

There's an important thing to remember here--not all spambots are actually *bots*. Some are real people who are hired at some ridiculously cheap rate to log onto forums and post spam messages, in the same way that there are people who are hired to farm gold in MMOs. This is why you'll sometimes see spam posts that not only make sense, but are loosely linked to the subject of the thread they're posted in!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

personalization.

the cookies and advertisers are trying to narrow down the ads. to make it so that only issues we care about or like are shown. this is apart of a trend in recent media to pretty much make sure everything in the internet you see only matter to the person actually seeing it, to personalize the experience.
    In terms of advertising, which I dislike anyway, I don't feel this is an issue. I don't particularly want to see ads about things I don't care about or will not be purchasing.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    In terms of advertising, which I dislike anyway, I don't feel this is an issue. I don't particularly want to see ads about things I don't care about or will not be purchasing.
    Personally I much prefer seeing ads for things in which I have no interest. Makes it that much less likely I'll spend any money.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

personalization.

this is a bad thing.

So then we have to click on a few obvious spam messages a day to trick them right? They'll continue making spams obvious so we can ignore it except when doing our civic duty.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Juggling Goth View Post
    Same for me. I did an Ask search for lawnmower repairs and blammo, suddenly half my banner ads are on lawnmowers and gee whiz! They magically are almost identical to the specs I typed in! Wow, what a strange coincidence!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Studoku View Post
    I could live with that.

*Takes the blue pill.*
    Congrats you will now be showered with Pfizer stock, ED, and anti aging supplement adds for years.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    Congrats you will now be showered with Pfizer stock, ED, and anti aging supplement adds for years.
    Spoiler
    Show

I tend to have a very well-tailored set of ads (the kind I can't get rid of) on most websites = gun parts, SecondLife ads, EVE trailers (how do they fit two-minute videos into sidebars??) and the occasional car. On sites like FA and Giant in the Playground, most of the ads come from individual artists or small, niche businesses, so I genuinely like to see them and what they're selling (most of my +Watch list on FA is from clicking on random ad banners).

Then there's other ads, like the kind that pop up in text posts or flash a thousand times a minute about HIGH-QUALITY SHOES FOR $15.99!!!! when you're trying to read a dissertation. Or food ads in videos. Those are bad too.
    vape naesh

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    There's an important thing to remember here--not all spambots are actually *bots*. Some are real people who are hired at some ridiculously cheap rate to log onto forums and post spam messages, in the same way that there are people who are hired to farm gold in MMOs. This is why you'll sometimes see spam posts that not only make sense, but are loosely linked to the subject of the thread they're posted in!
    Personally, I'd prefer that they be actual bots, as that would indicate an advance in AI research. Then, we'd be one step closer to the cyberpunk dystopia Gibson dreamed of, rather than this lame imitation we've set up.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    So then we have to click on a few obvious spam messages a day to trick them right? They'll continue making spams obvious so we can ignore it except when doing our civic duty.
    thats not how it works.

they WANT you to click, they don't care what you click. whatever you click, makes them money, it just determines which part of their scheme is making money off of you. they want you to focus on something. focus leads to personalization and tailoring to your viewpoint, or at least the viewpoint that the data thinks you have. and advertisers are eventually going to recognize that the obvious methods eventually won't work at all anyways.

they are not aiming for a group, they are aiming for the individuals. it doesn't matter which individual it is. its all about projecting the image that world online isn't something that will scare you away or challenge you, because that leads to people not clicking on stuff. its all a lure. taking different bait won't do anything. you still have the problem.

and even if you somehow find a way, there are more subtle methods still. there is pretty much a growing market for information gained from what people click online. the cookies and all that, that detect what you what you click on and are interested in on say, Google? yeah all that information is then sold to advertisers trying to make advertising personal until you only see ads they think only you will be interested in- as in, seven billion demographics of one. they probably have pretty much all or most of the internet observed this way.

and this shows no sign of stopping. you click on something, and it will change the net for you, not immediately but over time? eventually it narrows you down and profiles you. then it starts creating your own little world in the net filtering out any unwanted information. a filter bubble if you will, a space where only what you want is within and anything outside can penetrate, an accidental self-made deception and isolation.

that is the trend things are going nowadays, and if it continues, you can kiss goodbye the concept of a global village. because everyone will be in their own little island. problem is, you have to eventually go outside the island. you can't stay there forever.

its not just a problem here, its a trend everywhere. marketing to general groups and audiences is becoming outdated. marketing to individual people is what the future will be.

as for how this affects the current spambot problem? I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow figure out the general interests of the people this site sooner or later, and have already figured out how to make it subtle enough to lure you in. forget trying to trick them, the unsubtle ones are already gone by now. and thats probably the trend elsewhere as well, they are probably making fake accounts on Facebook to do the very same thing but on even bigger scale as we speak.

the only saving grace I can possibly think of, is that roleplaying seems to be an obscure hobby and therefore doesn't have much advertising behind it, at least to my point of view, so they wouldn't be able to make any spambots advertising rpgs, because there is no ads for them. at least for now.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

OP is obviously a spambot. Reported.
    Last edited by GoblinArchmage; 2013-10-30 at 07:56 PM.
    Epic avatar by: Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

See also: how to mess with annoyingly hardcore Bayesians. Eventually you can drive their repeatedly updated posterior into complete lunacy. Which seems to be pretty much what's happened with LessWrong, although they managed that all by themselves. Which, really, just makes it funnier.
    Okay, you've got my attention. What happened at LessWrong?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Okay, you've got my attention. What happened at LessWrong?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    So far as I know, nothing besides business as barking mad usual. Which is to say a lot of people doing things with Bayes Rule that you should not do with Bayes Rule, then considering it to constitute proof, instead of a mess on the carpet. This is complete bull for three important reasons:

Spoiler: Rant About Stupid Statistics
    Show
    1) Statistics does not prove anything. It can find cause and effect mechanisms, but only in the case of laboratory experiments with strong controls on outside sources of variation, and a scientific mechanism to explain the results. That is, statistics can in certain scenarios detect the presence and significance of a scientific mechanism underlying some association of cause and effect. Absent that, you've got correlation, and correlation alone.

2) Bayesian inference only makes any degree of sense if it is understood as epistemic probability. That is, it's a personal statement of belief, not a long-run relative frequency. The two agree in all but the details fairly frequently, because in cases where it is possible to make a long-run relative frequency argument, it's also the only sensible epistemic statement.

3) A Bayesian approach to a parametric problem is defined in fundamental ways through the choice of prior. This means that in order to produce results worth more than a used paper napkin, you need to verify that your prior assumptions are in fact reasonable. And saying 'these priors are reasonable' does not demonstrate your priors are reasonable. Doing that requires subject matter expertise, research, and careful thought and analysis to make sure you aren't choosing your prior to produce the result you want to produce. Which this isn't, it's complete drivel I'd only use to light a fire. This is the meandering undergraduate level wank of somebody who's never sat down in front of a .csv filled with data, an experimental design, and been asked 'so what can we conclude about X?' It's philosophical mumbo-jumbo, on the level of spinning out elaborate explanations for how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, nothing more.

So far as I can tell, LessWrong is a bunch of nerd fantasies dressed up in a poor understanding of a cherry-picked selection of actual statistical concepts elevated to faith statements by second rate purple prose. Yudkowsky is intelligent, but there's a difference between being intelligent and being smart. Intelligence is simply a capability, smart is that capability pounded and honed and polished and refined through use and experience and criticism. Which is the sort of thing you get in a traditional education, particularly at advanced levels. It's not the sort of thing you get reading a bunch of probability texts on your own, and running a website where you're free to shut out dissenting voices. That leads to the sort of dangerous chained Bayesian drift I mentioned earlier, a slow wandering of your belief system away from the sensible, as you feed yourself only the information that confirms your existing beliefs.

Bottom line: just because it uses lots of fancy words with actual meaning doesn't mean it isn't BS.
    Last edited by warty goblin; 2013-10-31 at 11:33 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of evil targeted spam, Yahoo is now delivering this straight to your inbox. They've had full-screen commercials on their login page for years, and banner ads for even longer, but now they're sending promotional emails to the top of the queue.

Worse yet, they're instantly updated to reflect your email activity. I don't even have to send an email; all I have to do is search my inbox for "Hazelwood"--the name of an NPC in my last campaign--and along with the search results I get a Yahoo-generated email offering to find colleges in Hazelwood, NC.

I really, really hate Yahoo. But they're all evil.

And not just "bad," but....

Spoiler
    Show
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL!!!!!!!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Speaking of evil targeted spam, Yahoo is now delivering this straight to your inbox. They've had full-screen commercials on their login page for years, and banner ads for even longer, but now they're sending promotional emails to the top of the queue.

Worse yet, they're instantly updated to reflect your email activity. I don't even have to send an email; all I have to do is search my inbox for "Hazelwood"--the name of an NPC in my last campaign--and along with the search results I get a Yahoo-generated email offering to find colleges in Hazelwood, NC.

I really, really hate Yahoo. But they're all evil.
    Yahoo is now delivering this straight to your inbox.
    There are people who still use yahoo mail?!
    Homebrew: TemporalistQuotebox • Avatar by Kris on a Stick
    Blue is for sarcasm • Call me Attila

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

How do we know we are not already in the Matrix, and what we are seeing is the birth of the Matrix's Matrix? First spam bots, then little amniotic sacks man.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

This thread has reminded me of a very important detail... I should check my email.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I saw an incredibly clever spambot once. Most of them seem to focus on just getting us to click on the thread.

This one was clever.
    "Hello", it posted, "I am interested in buying this product, but I have some questions about it, does anybody have any experience with this sort of thing?" and it provided a link.

Only the fact that it was the user's first post and the fact that it was randomly in the Board Issues forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by AttilaTheGeek
    There are people who still use yahoo mail?!
    Yes.

*waves*

It's not that I like Yahoo, I hate it. There's just nothing I can do about it right now.