New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Question [3.5] Bloodline Feat For A Beguiler

So, the Bloodline feats from Dragon Compendium add a spell known, for spells level 1 - 9, for spontaneous arcane casters.

What would be a good choice for a Beguiler?

Things to watch out for is doubling up of spells you already get, and also not selecting one that means you lose access to existing Beguiler spells.

Might be nice to maybe add some direct damage (although not much of that in the Bloodline feats), and any other spell types that Beguiler list is a bit lacking in.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Cheers - T Sorry if I have asked this before, and there's a good chance that I have...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Bloodline Feat For A Beguiler

I kinda like Earth Bloodline: solid way to turn spell slots into damage with Enlarge Person, Keen Edge for another really good buff, there's some nice spells that let you deal with inanimate objects a lot better than most beguilers can (doors are the bane of invisible characters? cool, let me break a hole in this wall). The downside is that the high-level spells are a bit lackluster.

Plant Bloodline is neither exceptionally good nor incredibly bad, but getting Minor Creation is really good and all the other spells are okayish situational utility.

Celestial Bloodline is mostly nice at low levels, where it gives you Protection from Evil and Magic Circle.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

If you remove Beguiler spells from the bloodline spell list, this is what you end up with:

Air (7) – Gust of Wind, Wind Wall, Shout, Telekinesis, Control Winds, Summon Monster VIII (elementals and outsiders with air subtype only) Freedom
    Anarchic (5) – Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Rage, Prismatic Spray, Maze, Weird
    Axoimatic (6) – Detect Chaos, Locate Object, Magic Circle against Chaos, Dismissal, True Seeing, Forcecage
    Celestial (8) – Protection from Evil, Daylight, Magic Circle against Evil, Dismissal, Guards and Wards, Sequester, Sunburst, Summon Monster IX (good outsiders only)
    Draconic (6) – Darkvision, Protection from Elements, Fear, True Seeing, Vision
    Earth – Enlarge Person, Shatter, Keen Edge, Stone Shape, Transmute Rock to Mud, Move Earth, Statue, Iron Body, Summon Monster IX (Elementals and Outsideres with Earth Subtype only)
    Fey (6) – Tongues, Hallucinatory Terrain, Seeming, Sequester, Otto's Irresistable Dance, Wail of the Banshee (Dragon Compendium)
    Fiendish (8) – Protection from Good, Darkness, Sepia Snake Sigil, Bestow Curse, Nightmare, Insanity, Maze, Imp risonment (Dragon Compendium)
    Fire (8) – Pyrotechnics, Tongues, Fire Shield, Cloudkill, Summon Monster VI (Elementals and Outsiders with Fire Subtype only), Delayed Blast Fireball, Sunburst, Meteor Swarm (Dragon Compendium)
    Illithid (1) – Insanity, (Dragon Compendium)
    Necromantic (8) – Cause Fear, Ghoul Touch, Vampiric Touch, Contagion, Eyebite, Control Undead, Trap the Soul, Wail of the Banshee (Dragon Compendium)
    Penumbra (7) – Obscuring Mist, Darkness, Evard's Black Tentacles, Shadow Evocation, Plane Shift, Greater Shadow Evocation, (Dragon Compendium)
    Plant – Endure Elements, False Life, Water Breathing, Minor Creation, Transmute Rock to Mud, Control Water, Control Weather, Control Plants, Imprisonment (Dragon Compendium)
    Serpent Bloodline (3) – Cause Fear, Sepia Snake Sigil, Phantasmal Killer,
    Water Bloodline (7) –Waterbreathing, Quench, Transmute Rock to Mud, Otiluke's Freezing Sphere, Control Weather, Summon Monster VIII (elementals and outsiders with water subtype) Elemental Swarm

I'll leave it to other people to argue what spell lists in here are better but I probably wouldn't take the Illithid or Serpent bloodlines.

4. - Top - End - #4

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Divination spells seem less valuable overall: if you really want True Seeing, you can just take a 2-level dip in Unseen Seer with no loss of caster levels.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Depends what level band we're talking IMO. Some bloodlines have good low levels, some have good mid levels, and some have good high levels, but I personally don't think any of them hit all three.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Earth and Fire appeal to me the most. Fire provides some high level damage spells, filling a big gap in the beguiler's spell list, while Earth has a solid number of spells that I would love to have ready for spontaneous casting, like stone shape and shatter.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Campaign is still in early stages of planning, and I don't know what the other 2 PCs will be yet. That will definitely play a part in my selection.

Early indicators for my character are a CG Grey Elf. Also, character will be spending feats to get a Coure improved familiar, and will most likely be taking Blessed of the Seven Sisters as the 12th level feat, if that changes anything.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Looking at pabelfly's list, Penumbra seems the best overall. Yeah, the 1st-3rd are pointless, but the others are all solid spells.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MinimanMidget View Post
    Looking at pabelfly's list, Penumbra seems the best overall. Yeah, the 1st-3rd are pointless, but the others are all solid spells.
    Remember that's what's left after taking out Beguiler spells, so you miss out on a third, sixth and ninth-level spell.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Got to admit, I'm leaning towards Plant, so I don't lose out on any spells, and some of those spells have decent utility use.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Campaign is still in early stages of planning, and I don't know what the other 2 PCs will be yet. That will definitely play a part in my selection.

Early indicators for my character are a CG Grey Elf. Also, character will be spending feats to get a Coure improved familiar, and will most likely be taking Blessed of the Seven Sisters as the 12th level feat, if that changes anything.
    That's three feats spoken for in the 3, 6, and 12 slots. If you're taking your bloodline at level 9, then I think that Air and Penumbra both look pretty great, and I'd probably snag one of them. They both start picking up around 4th and 5th level spells, so it's good timing, and they both offer some really nice options for direct offensive attacks, which is traditionally a weak spot for beguilers. Putting it in the 9 slot also frees up the 1 slot for something like Nymph's Kiss or a regional feat (Faerie Mysteries Initiate, perhaps?).