New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by JBento View Post
    but that only means that you can be targeted by spells saying "willing targets only,"
    And most of those spells don't have saves anyways.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by speeddemon View Post
    My truenamer (I foolishly mentioned that out of combat healing was one of the few things he could do well). Do i have ANY other builds that can heal? Nope, looks like I forgot to take that into account with my other builds. And thus I am now playing a truenamer. Thus begin the golorious adventures of Vanier, the Illumian Truenamer, Huzzah .
    Welcome to the fold. Heh, I did the math and at 6th lvl my True Namer could theoreticly heal 1440 points of damage over many rounds before resting. Not bad for 6th level. That is the only plus side to taking multiple versions of Words of Nurturing, is that you can burn a bunch of the low level ones to take care of most down time healing needs. The problem comes from a lack of burst healing, especially at low levels. If you are the sole party healer, I would fall upon the mercy of the DM to allow something like the ritual I outlined above or ake it a feat, and have him look at the healthful rest spell. If the DM rules that fast healing is effected by it, then you are golden. It's a first level spell that lasts 24 hours. Get an Eternal Wand of it for every 2 party members (820gp each I believe). At the start of each day hit everyone with it. Then as the first buff for each combat you hit the group with an extended Words of Nurturing of the best level you have... or perhaps the second best.. Then your job as a healer is done. If they get hurt, they need to step out of harms way for a round or two, but you have done what you needed too. Fast Healing enhanced with Healthful rest will make up for the lack of burst healing.

In fact, most of the cleric stuff can be handled with wands when needed. Get a wand bracer to make sure you can quickly use them when needed, and maybe a scroll or two of break enchantment and your set. Only one utterance deserves some thought, and that is word of bolstering. Mainly because you can cast it as a standard action (and possibly as a swift), where as restoration takes a while to cast. When your being swarmed by shadows, that can save lives.

Only other advice that I would give is to not feel bad about taking Words of Nurturing each level with that group. The lower level ones become down time healing, while the new ones become the parties best source of damage against things that shut down melee. Read my Diary, time and time again I was the only one who could deal with certain threats that a Melee party couldn't handle.

Anyways, welcome to the class and try and enjoy it!
    Last edited by Bonzai; 2013-01-25 at 10:50 AM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Being a willing target means you forsake your saving throw.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on this point.

Yes. Except without ranks in spell craft or having the guy say "I'm going to heal you" you cannot and do not know it is a harmless spell. It's some guy chanting in a lost rogue while gesturing, and then reaching for you with a hand aglow with blazing light. That could be cure light wounds, sure. Or it could be shocking grasp.
    None of this is relevant to saving throws, which clearly happen after the blazing light has touched you. You don't even have to be aware of an incoming spell to save against it, if it allows one. That's why they call it "reflex" for instance.

But that is a house rule. The game doesn't assume a specific psychic/mystic immune system. It assumes your body can either evade or shrug off some effects, and your mind can power through others. Think about that. You literally deny inflict light wounds through application of faith. It's not a magic antibody, it is you denying the power of their god so vehemently it works. It's an active choice; an act of will.
    Point of order: the god may be the ultimate source of the power but it's really the cleric's ability to channel that power that you're denying. Otherwise, the cleric's Wis score, feats etc. would be irrelevant to your save.

We don't have designers saying anywhere that the rules shouldn't be taken literally.
    Except they say EXACTLY THAT in Rules Compendium, the very book you claim "they wanted us to play with."

Long quote:

D&D is a living game.
    What do I mean by a living game? A living game has few, if any, boundaries. It has a structure, but that structure is designed to expand; it isn’t rigid and set. From the moment we “finished” the rules (and I use that term lightly), we began to see ways to add to the game, to improve the game, to take what we learned in the creation process and reexamine it as we played. Few other forms of entertainment have this built-in evolution mechanic, and it’s what makes D&D so vibrant and so exciting. And even more exciting, we (as the original creators) have only a minor stake in this evolution. Change, growth, and improvement really come from the tens of thousands of game groups playing the game. In other words, the catalyst for change is you!
    Which leads to the other aspect of the living game: the rules themselves. Because we built D&D to expand, it is by necessity alive. Every new book we produce offers new options for game play that add to the fundamental structure of the game. New classes and prestige classes, new feats, new spells, new monsters, new settings, new organizations, new locations . . . you name it, we make it, and it all adds up to more choices to make your game exactly what you want it to be. But while the rules begin with us, they certainly don’t end within the walls of Wizards of the Coast.
    When discussing the rules, you have to stick to them. Discussing I they are even valid at all is a good, but entirely separate discussion. Most people who argue RAW are much more reasonable when you remove that. But in order for the game to work, the rules have to mean the same thing to everyone. That is achieved by a very strict, literal reading of the rules.
    I agree that RAW is by far the most logical starting point for any rules discussion. But when RAW is ambiguous, slavishly clinging to one interpretation of it is counterproductive. In this case, while you can willingly forego any saving throw, that does not equate to all willingness being equal. For instance, I can willingly lower my spell resistance for a round without affecting my saving throws - just in case an enemy gets a bad spell in while my first line of defense is down, the second one is still there. So all "willingness" cannot automatically be assumed to be equal. This is reinforced once you consider spells that target unconscious creatures, yet have saving throws. And furthermore, if all saves automatically failed while unconscious, you would never wake up from sleep poison and you would never fight off disease overnight. It's ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #364
    Colossus in the Playground

Being a willing target means you forsake your saving throw.
    Wrong. The section that describes "willing" is the target section of the rules for casting spells, not the saving throws section. "Willing" is a property of the creature for determining whether or not it can be targeted with a spell that requires a willing subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #365
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thanks Bonzai. I'm reading your guide now for tips. I'll try to get the wands, but we don't have access to any large towns right now that might sell us that gear, and the goblins we can loot might have more generic items. Still it's something to look into when we get farther along. I'll ask about the ritual thing, but I'm pretty sure my DM isin't going to allow it. She's kinda by the book in that manner, so any homebrew might be hard to get accepted in the campaign world. Still I'll look into it. Also I'm wondering about asking her if the paragnostic assembely exists in this world and if I want to join (bonuses are nice, but so is keeping my trueasure and not being bound to a group that might require stuff from me). Did you think it was worth joining with them in your game?

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

The wands work, but it's somewhat unfortunate that you have to rely on magic items (which anyone could use) in order to serve a basic role in the party.

Oh well, truenamers.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    The wands work, but it's somewhat unfortunate that you have to rely on magic items (which anyone could use) in order to serve a basic role in the party.

Oh well, truenamers.
    All classes rely on magic items to some extent. That a truenamer has the out-of-the-box option of using the better spell completion and spell trigger items (UMD as one of very few class-skills) seems more of a feature of the class than the necessity of their use being one of its failings.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

8. - Top - End - #368

AssassinGuy

Oh, right you have to use UMD to use wands. Well, funny thing about my character... He has no ranks in use magic device. When I built him I needed another dump stat besides wisdom, and charisma seemed like a good choice. Combined with the money I had to spend on skill boosters, and all the knowledge skills needed, it seemed like I wouldn't use it at the time. Well I guess I can do something like buy multiple healing belts or something and hope that will work well enough for burst healing.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Did you think it was worth joining with them in your game?
    It didn't hurt. However, over time it's possible to get similar bonuses or better through items. The real question is this; do you have item familiar or something similar? If not, then I would say that you will need every bonus that you can get. The Tax every level is bearable, but it does add up.

Also: healing belts are great down time healing. But in situations where a party member needs healing that round, fishing out a healing belt, giving it to a party member to put on, and then activate is not efficient in combat. Your best bet is the healthful rest trick, and using your best words of nurturing as a pre-buff. Second best option is wands. Save your cash and don't bother with the belts.
    Last edited by Bonzai; 2013-01-27 at 06:19 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    All classes rely on magic items to some extent. That a truenamer has the out-of-the-box option of using the better spell completion and spell trigger items (UMD as one of very few class-skills) seems more of a feature of the class than the necessity of their use being one of its failings.
    Sure, but when the answer for healing with a class which supposedly has lots of healing powers as class abilities is "UMD healing wands", that shows just how badly-designed they are overall.

11. - Top - End - #371

AssassinGuy

The healing belts can be used as a touch (it can also be used to harm undead, but I doubt I'll ever use it for that since I have my utterances), but they don't have much by way of charges or long term healing. Still I can run up to some one and activate the belt to give them a little bit of immediate healing, and I don't have to worry about putting the belt on them (this will mostly be useful for the druid since he has the lowest AC and couldn't use the belt anyways while shifted). Now that I think about it the rest of them could probably just wear them or give them to me during a short rest if I use up mine part way through the day. That combined with as you said using the WoN's pre-emptivley, should suffice for healing (hopefully). I'll have to look up the Healthful rest trick. Is that a skill trick?

I haven't gotten an item familiar, mostly because I'm looking into a combination that will require all my feats (even the two from my flaws). Currently I have Skill Focus (Truespeak), Extend Utterance, Point Blank Shot, Knowledge Devotion, and Mortal Bane. I want to use the Dark Chaos Shuffle to trade out my bonus Recitance feat at level 8 for Rapid Shot, and retrain Mortal Bane for Precise Shot. At level 9 I'll get Quicken Utterance, and will hopefully have obtained a +1 Composite bow of Splitting (+3 enhancement). With this I'll be able to fire off 6 shots (8 if I've used greater speed of the zephyr on myself beforehand) as a full round action, with damage and attack roll boosted by knowledge devotion. I know that the levels after 10th really start to show the gap between Truenamer and everyone else, so I'm hoping with this attack combo and the ability to use a bunch of utility Utterances as swift actions I'll be able to stop it for a while or at least greatly slow it down. Also while I'm sure my DM wouldn't be vindictive towards me and my item familiar, I don't think she would hesitate to take it away from me, and that could mess me up a great deal if I'm unable to get it back. I might get rid of Extend if it looks like I'm not using it that much, and I know I'll use it less once I get up to level 9 and start quickining. Still You're probably right about joining the paragnostic assembly, though I'll hold off on it till I level up a bit, since I only have to pay fees once I join and my check is good enough for know that I don't need to worry about it too much.

Oh, we also have a new person joining our group. She's going to be a tank type warforged with high AC and Touch AC. She uses two shields and has damage reduction, so hopefully I won't have to worry too much about extra healing.
    Last edited by speeddemon; 2013-01-28 at 01:04 AM.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Sure, but when the answer for healing with a class which supposedly has lots of healing powers as class abilities is "UMD healing wands", that shows just how badly-designed they are overall.
    There's no practical difference between using a wand of CLW or lesser vigor and simply uttering a word of nurturing in effect. It's only a difference in opportunity cost. The utterances take up utterances known and don't do dramatic amounts of damage to enemies unless you build for it. The wands cost gold and have no ability to harm any living or construct enemies you might face.

They're pretty interchangeable for OOC healing and neither is particularly useful for in-combat healing. Not that it matters much with in-combat healing being a last-ditch emergency tactic anyway.

The ideal solution for healing is not getting hurt.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

13. - Top - End - #373

AssassinGuy

True the best solution for healing is not getting hit, but that doesn't always work (especially in my group, which isin't under optimized, but we certainly aren't going to steamroll many battles either). Also the problem is more that healing is as you pointed out, usually a last ditch measure, which is the problem with the utterances. They don't heal fast. They might be some of the best overall and easiest to get healing from a class before the Heal spell (mostly because it's a good idea for any truenamer to have two or three of these), but they aren't going to help if your down to a few hit points and have any number of monsters near you. It's just another bring down for the class in that the one thing they're good at, is kinda limited. Still for out of combat use I do like just how much they can be used and how many battles they'll get you through in just a day. As bonzai pointed out you can get into the thousands of hit points healed in a single day easily and at a low level to boot, so they are a lot better than wands for out of combat healing.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, we also have a new person joining our group. She's going to be a tank type warforged with high AC and Touch AC. She uses two shields and has damage reduction, so hopefully I won't have to worry too much about extra healing.
    She realizes that shields don't stack, right? And that dual-wielding shields doesn't generally make for someone that the enemies can't just kill last?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

15. - Top - End - #375

AssassinGuy

Tower shield and a spiked shield of bashing. She might change over to agile shield fighter at some point to dual wield spiked shields. She also has shield specialization and Shield ward to improve her defences some. And yeah the enemies can try to ignore her, but the spiked shield of bashing still deals out a fair amount of damage and shield charge can let her trip enemies. I'm sure there are better builds out there, but were not that high op, so she should do just fine as a team member.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    She realizes that shields don't stack, right? And that dual-wielding shields doesn't generally make for someone that the enemies can't just kill last?
    Shields make surprisingly good weapons with Agile Shield Fighter, Improved Shield Bash, Shock Trooper, and Dungeoncrasher, which lines a Warforged up perfectly for taking Warforged Juggernaut. You get an extra attack, every attack initiates a Bull Rush, a Bull Rush into a wall deals huge damage, and you're a Juggernaut which does wonders for your defenses. If you can convince a DM to allow it, the Shield of the Severed Hand (relic of Gruumsh) with the True Believer feat allows you to make a Bull Rush as an immediate action against anyone who attacks you in melee, too.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

So what I gather is that the main problem of a Truenamer is the stupid CR X 2 DC.

Could this be fixed by simply allowing the Truenamer to invest as many skillpoints as they want into the Truename skill regardless of class level?

18. - Top - End - #378
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Con_Brio1993 View Post
    So what I gather is that the main problem of a Truenamer is the stupid CR X 2 DC.

Could this be fixed by simply allowing the Truenamer to invest as many skillpoints as they want into the Truename skill regardless of class level?
    No, because one that would result in an absurdly one-dimensional character and eliminate the need to roll Truename at all, and because ultimately the DC is not the only problem.

Truenamers can hit the DC. It takes feats and items and political affiliations, but the DC can be hit. The problem is that even once they do, they still can't do much.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I'll have to look up the Healthful rest trick. Is that a skill trick?
    No. Healthful rest is a spell that doubles your healing rate for 24 hours. What my, and a couple other DMs have ruled, is that this effects fast healing as well. If that is the case, then it doubles the effectiveness of your words of nurturing. This is open to DM interpretation however. So ask your DM very nicely, subtlety reminding him that you were rail roaded into being the party healer, and try to convince him that this would go a long way towards accomplishing that, without forcing you to devote significant wealth and resources to doing so. It's a lvl 1 spell with a 24 hour duration. So it won't take much to get a few eternal wands of it and hit the party with it at the start of your day. Then utter your best words of nurturing on the tank at the start of combat (or the party if home brew is allowed), and your healing duties are pretty much done.

As for Item familiar, I would never play a truenamer without it, or something similar. It allows you to truly improve your characters ability, instead of always being forced to play catch up.
    Last edited by Bonzai; 2013-01-28 at 02:23 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    No. Healthful rest is a spell that doubles your healing rate for 24 hours. What my, and a couple other DMs have ruled, is that this effects fast healing as well. If that is the case, then it doubles the effectiveness of your words of nurturing. This is open to DM interpretation however. So ask your DM very nicely, subtlety reminding him that you were rail roaded into being the party healer, and try to convince him that this would go a long way towards accomplishing that, without forcing you to devote significant wealth and resources to doing so. It's a lvl 1 spell with a 24 hour duration. So it won't take much to get a few eternal wands of it and hit the party with it at the start of your day. Then utter your best words of nurturing on the tank at the start of combat (or the party if home brew is allowed), and your healing duties are pretty much done.

As for Item familiar, I would never play a truenamer without it, or something similar. It allows you to truly improve your characters ability, instead of always being forced to play catch up.

By raw the fast healing + healthful rest trick doesn't work. But it almost works and its close enough that most GMs wouldn't mind allowing it. It is based off of this line in the SRD description of fast healing

Except where noted here, fast healing is just like natural healing.
    From a RAW perspective, being "like" something is not the same as actually being the "same" as something. But as u can see, it is real close and allowing it is not a major stretch. It really does improve the usefulness of truenamer if it is allowed.

21. - Top - End - #381

Without endorsing or condemning the HR + FH trick, I just wanted to point out that X being "just like" Y DOES mean that X is the same as Y.

As far as the checks being difficult, that does actually have an impact in some cases, particularly where Quicken Utterance is concerned. This feat is all but mandatory, not just for the inherent benefits of swift-action casting, but because having your standard isn't even a guarantee when some utterances lose half their effectiveness if you can't concentrate on them.

Kyeudo's formula is a lot easier - DC 15 + (2x Utterance Level) + target's CR. This gives you similar DCs to the main system starting out, but the scaling is much slower (allowing you to keep pace.)
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #382
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Without endorsing or condemning the HR + FH trick, I just wanted to point out that X being "just like" Y DOES mean that X is the same as Y.
    Ok poor wording on my part. Let me rephrase.

Fast healing being "like" natural healing does not make Fast Healing equal Natural healing, from a RAW standpoint.

or in other words, effects that apply to natural healing do not automatically apply to fast healing just because they are "like" each other.
    Last edited by Gotterdammerung; 2013-01-28 at 03:38 PM.

23. - Top - End - #383

If it said "like" rather than "just like" I would be in 100% agreement. But my point is that there is a significant enough difference between those two terms that it opens the window for an argument on either side, rather than a clear case.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Con_Brio1993 View Post

The DC is not a problem except when you begin to approach epic level.

The level of optimization necessary to reliably hit the DC a couple times per utterance per day is the trivial level that the designers built the entire 3.5 system around. If you make int your primary stat, pick up an amulet of the silver tongue in a timely manner, and pick skill focus (truenaming) you'll be fine for the most part.

You might struggle a bit with single enemies of a CR higher than your level, but the group as a whole will squash those most of the time because of action economy. Toss a buff on an ally and call it a battle. Most enemies will be guaranteed hits once or twice per utterance, especially if your DM has the good sense to compose encounters out of several foes of a CR a point or two below the party's level.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #385
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    The DC is not a problem except when you begin to approach epic level.

The level of optimization necessary to reliably hit the DC a couple times per utterance per day is the trivial level that the designers built the entire 3.5 system around. If you make int your primary stat, pick up an amulet of the silver tongue in a timely manner, and pick skill focus (truenaming) you'll be fine for the most part.

You might struggle a bit with single enemies of a CR higher than your level, but the group as a whole will squash those most of the time because of action economy. Toss a buff on an ally and call it a battle. Most enemies will be guaranteed hits once or twice per utterance, especially if your DM has the good sense to compose encounters out of several foes of a CR a point or two below the party's level.
    I had made a chart a while back to chart the effectiveness of a naked Truenamer. Essentually it showed a 5% decrease in effectiveness every level, with the exception of ability modifiers from an increase in intelligence. Those levels allowed you to remain status quo. Assuming a stating Intelligence of 16, with all skill raises into intelligence, and the mandatory skill focus feat, a Truenamer would be unable to succeed on an even level CR at 17th level without additional items and support. This is how important Items and extra feats are to the class. It's also why I say that anything other than Item Familiar or something smilar is only a band aid fix.

Lets see if I can copy and paste that chart. It was made to show the effectiveness of Item familiar. As you can see, without gear it is almost mandatory.

Lvl Skill I.F. Bonus Total =CR DC % Success Notes
    1 4 0 6 10 17 65% +3 int bonus, +3 Skill Focus
    2 5 0 6 11 19 60%
    3 6 2 6 14 21 65%
    4 7 4 6 17 23 70% +1 to int
    5 8 6 6 20 25 75%
    6 9 8 6 23 27 80%
    7 10 10 6 26 29 85%
    8 11 11 7 29 31 90% +1 to int, +4 bonus
    9 12 12 7 31 33 90%
    10 13 13 7 33 35 90%
    11 14 14 7 35 37 90%
    12 15 15 7 37 39 90% + int
    13 16 16 7 39 41 90%
    14 17 17 7 41 43 90%
    15 18 18 7 43 45 90%
    16 19 19 8 46 47 95% +1 to int, +5 bonus
    17 20 20 8 48 49 95%
    18 21 21 8 50 51 95%
    19 22 22 8 52 53 95%
    20 23 23 8 54 55 95% +1 int

Edit: Well, it mostly worked. Couldn't get the columns to stay spaced, but at least it's still readable. First column is the Character level, then max ability level, then the item familiar bonus, then the miscelaneous bonuses (see notes), then the total true speech modifyer. Then comes an the DC of an equal CR encounter, and % chance of success. If you take out the item familiar, you reduce the % chance by 5% each level, with the exception of lvl 8 and 16 where they remain the same thanks to ability modifyers. At lvl 17, you would be unable to succeed without gear or additional feats.
    Last edited by Bonzai; 2013-01-30 at 11:01 AM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Edit: Well, it mostly worked. Couldn't get the columns to stay spaced, but at least it's still readable. First column is the Character level, then max ability level, then the item familiar bonus, then the miscelaneous bonuses (see notes), then the total true speech modifyer. Then comes an the DC of an equal CR encounter, and % chance of success. If you take out the item familiar, you reduce the % chance by 5% each level, with the exception of lvl 8 and 16 where they remain the same thanks to ability modifyers. At lvl 17, you would be unable to succeed without gear or additional feats.
    How's this?

{table=head]Level|Skill|I.F.|Bonus|Total|=CR DC|% Success|Notes
    1 | 4| 0|6|10|17|65%|+3 int bonus, +3 Skill Focus
    2 | 5| 0|6|11|19|60%|
    3 | 6| 2|6|14|21|65%|
    4 | 7| 4|6|17|23|70%|+1 to int
    5 | 8| 6|6|20|25|75%|
    6 | 9| 8|6|23|27|80%|
    7 |10|10|6|26|29|85%|
    8 |11|11|7|29|31|90%|+1 to int, +4 bonus
    9 |12|12|7|31|33|90%|
    10|13|13|7|33|35|90%|
    11|14|14|7|35|37|90%|
    12|15|15|7|37|39|90%|+1 to int
    13|16|16|7|39|41|90%|
    14|17|17|7|41|43|90%|
    15|18|18|7|43|45|90%|
    16|19|19|8|46|47|95%|+1 to int, +5 bonus
    17|20|20|8|48|49|95%|
    18|21|21|8|50|51|95%|
    19|22|22|8|52|53|95%|
    20|23|23|8|54|55|95%|+1 int[/table]
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

Gorgeous table, tuggyne. And interesting numbers, Bozai. I hadn't realised quite how dire the situation was.

28. - Top - End - #388

Can you put the percentages without IF in there, side-by-side?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #389
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Thanks Tuggyne! I really need to learn how to do that.

As for % chance without item familiar, you lose 5% every level except lvl 8 and 16 where ability modifier raises keep you status quo.

Lvl 1: 65%
    Lvl 2: 60%
    Lvl 3: 55%
    Lvl 4: 50%
    Lvl 5: 45%
    Lvl 6: 40%
    Lvl 7: 35%
    Lvl 8: 35%
    Lvl 9: 30%
    Lvl 10: 25%
    Lvl 11: 20%
    Lvl 12: 15%
    Lvl 13: 10%
    Lvl 14: 5%
    Lvl 15: need to roll natural 20 or use universal aptitude to increase check.
    Lvl 16: need to roll natural 20 or use universal aptitude to increase check.
    Lvl 17: Even a natural 20 can't help you, unless you are targeting yourself with universal aptitude.
    Lvl 18: will need a natural 20 to even target yourself with universal aptitude.
    Lvl 19: True Naming on yourself becomes impossible without outside help.

So that's the ugly truth of truenaming. Each lvl up reduces your efficiency by 5% unless you increase it through outside means, and even those increases will decrease each level as well. The only non- bandaid fix is item familiar or something like it. On a side note, you can see just how gear dependent they are. I'm not sure if even a naked fighter is as impaired as a naked true namer.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks Tuggyne! I really need to learn how to do that.

As for % chance without item familiar, you lose 5% every level except lvl 8 and 16 where ability modifier raises keep you status quo.

Lvl 1: 65%
    Lvl 2: 60%
    Lvl 3: 55%
    Lvl 4: 50%
    Lvl 5: 45%
    Lvl 6: 40%
    Lvl 7: 35%
    Lvl 8: 35%
    Lvl 9: 30%
    Lvl 10: 25%
    Lvl 11: 20%
    Lvl 12: 15%
    Lvl 13: 10%
    Lvl 14: 5%
    Lvl 15: need to roll natural 20 or use universal aptitude to increase check.
    Lvl 16: need to roll natural 20 or use universal aptitude to increase check.
    Lvl 17: Even a natural 20 can't help you, unless you are targeting yourself with universal aptitude.
    Lvl 18: will need a natural 20 to even target yourself with universal aptitude.
    Lvl 19: True Naming on yourself becomes impossible without outside help.

So that's the ugly truth of truenaming. Each lvl up reduces your efficiency by 5% unless you increase it through outside means, and even those increases will decrease each level as well. The only non- bandaid fix is item familiar or something like it. On a side note, you can see just how gear dependent they are. I'm not sure if even a naked fighter is as impaired as a naked true namer.
    I'd just like to point out, for purposes of levels 14-19: Rolling a natural 20 is a 5% chance. If you have a 5% chance at a skill check, you have to roll a natural 20 to succeed. So where's the difference between 14 and 15?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew