New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by lunar2 View Post
    one workaround to the Laws of Suck and Regurgitate is to allow truenamers to research utterances, or learn them off of scrolls, much like a wizard. give them enough variety to work with, and it doesn't really matter all that much if if they can only use a particular utterance once at a time.
    A quicker (and better) fix is to just let them cast off of their entire list (only for levels they would normally have, of course.) The problem still remains that the vast majority of utterances suck, are incredibly circumstantial, or are strictly worse than spells/maneuvers/soulmelds/invocations of equivalent level.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2011-11-09 at 05:27 PM.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

well, yeah. i know that. but still, i remember there was some weird combination of utterances that could kill any non-regenerating monster in the MM without ever touching the dice after rolling initiative, and a few other tricks that worked out really well, if you had access to the right utterances, some of which you'd need to research or get extra in another way. this is at Lv. 20, of course.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

Extended Homebrew Signature

3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground

It would be interesting to see a Truenamer PRC that focuses on the alteration of a Truename to alter reality.

For example, the Truenamer alters their own true name so that they now have the ability to fly.

Instead of modifying the world around you, it's modifying the very definition of "you" that the world works off of permanently.

Let's see, aim for 10th level entrance.

Stuff like an untyped Truespeak bonus (perhaps equal to HD) as you are simply rewritten to remember and speak Truespeak better. Or perfect flight at your base speed. Or fast healing 1. Or DR. Or True Sight. All as Ex abilities of course.

Maybe capstone it with the ability to use Timeless Body as an Immediate action as you reenforce your true name, making yourself more real than reality and thus ignoring any effect for the duration. It's certainly less broken than gate.

Note to self, remember to only advance utterances on 9/10 levels.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Spamalot in the Playground

That was supposed to be the idea behind Acolyte of the Ego, and to a lesser extent Disciple of the Word. Yep.

Kyeudo's fix rolls them both into one PrC.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #245
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lunar2 View Post
    one workaround to the Laws of Suck and Regurgitate is to allow truenamers to research utterances, or learn them off of scrolls, much like a wizard. give them enough variety to work with, and it doesn't really matter all that much if if they can only use a particular utterance once at a time.
    That would work pretty well if there were more than a handful of Utterances that weren't terrible to start with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #246
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Wow, thanks for making this handbook Zaq, it's made me want to try out the class for the next character I make. Well actually the one after the next game cause in the game my current group is about to run, we're all making characters for one of the other players at the table (we only get to know the person who we're making the character for) and I dont want to make the guy I'm making a character for, who is rather new to RPG's, scared of truenamers forever . While their are not many Utterances that are great I can't wait for the right situations to use stuff like Archer's Eye and Spell Rebirth

7. - Top - End - #247
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by speeddemon View Post
    Wow, thanks for making this handbook Zaq, it's made me want to try out the class for the next character I make.
    I'm... not sure that's the thanks that Zaq wanted, heh...

8. - Top - End - #248

AssassinGuy

I know Zaq may not have wanted to advertise it, but it does make for a very good loremaster type class, and that is something I've wanted to try for some time now. I'm mostly thanking him for the advice on how to build a truenamer (I didn't know about knowledge devotion before this handbook for one of the many important facts I learned about truenaming) that won't be completley terrible. Plus I want to see if I can get the GM to allow me to use this handbook as my masterwork tool .
    Last edited by speeddemon; 2012-07-23 at 07:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249

If you can't get a homebrew version of the Truenamer approved, at least ask your DM to let you craft that +30 competence item, an item familiar, or both. You'll need all the help you can get.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #250
    Banned

I have plans to create a variant class called the Truespeaker. (Of course, I have many plans, and little motivation to further them.)

11. - Top - End - #251

AssassinGuy

I should be able to get a competence item and item familiar from the GM pretty easily, since she's new to GMing and will actually probably be asking me for most rule advice. I don't think the group I'm in is that high in optimization so this class will be a nice way to optimize a character with plenty of flavor without completely outshing everyone else.
    Last edited by speeddemon; 2012-07-24 at 02:28 AM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Banned

"Great, so now we're countering their experience with our ineptitude."

(That's just where my brain went at the idea of treating the Truenamer's narrowness and weakness as a feature rather than a bug.....)
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-07-24 at 07:27 AM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Hi all, thanks for the guide & discussion. I haven't made it past pg 5 yet, but one obvious thought came to mind fairly early: why would anyone think the 2 listed amulets of the silver tongue are an end-all-be all thing?

The class has great troubles, yes, but here is one of the easiest "smoothers out" a DM could do for a player or game including truespeak:

AMULET OF THE SILVER TOGUE
    all flavour per TOM pg 263
    E bonus Cost caster/creator Level
    +1..........100 gp..............1
    +2..........400 gp..............2
    +3..........900 gp..............3
    +4..........1,600 gp...........4
    +5..........2,500 gp...........5
    +6..........3,600 gp...........6
    +7..........4,900 gp...........7
    +8..........6,400 gp...........8
    +9..........8,100 gp...........9
    +10........10,000 gp.........10
    +11........12,100 gp.........11
    +12.........14,400 gp........12
    +13.........16,900 gp........13
    +14.........19,600 gp........14
    +15.........22,500 gp........15
    +16.........25,600 gp........16
    +17.........28,900 gp........17
    +18.........32,400 gp........18
    +19.........36,100 gp........19
    +20.........40,000 gp........20

sure, it's a tax, but so are weapons. The warrior's +4 keen, vorpal adamantine scimitar costs 203,315 gp of his 760,000 gp at L20. 40,000 at L20, or even 100 gp at L1, isn't too terrible at all.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

i don't think there's any need for 20 different ones. +5, +10 and +20 (and maybe +30) will do.

Also, fighters don't use scimitars and don't get vorpal on them (But that's beside the point. I agree that 40k is a small fee at high level)
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

15. - Top - End - #255
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

I disagree, I think the class has enough suckatude built in they ought be uping their amulet pretty much every level.

I'd probably house rule the class to be able to craft that specific item (or other slot, within reason, for +50% cost, or slotless for double cost), right from level one up.

I'm not sure what you are getting at about scimitars...but they are used in my games, although cornball, rediculous, make believe weapon types are all banned.

I'm also well aware I don't actually play 3.5/d20 D&D & have no interest in doing so; RAW is full of trash. DM's need to be garbagemen IMHO.

Still, if some warrior type(s)10/dervish 10 with a pair of +4 keen vorpal scimitars is useless or too feeble to be a L20 character in one's game, well, let's just say I'm glad that's not the case for my players.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

That's just a hilarious misuse of wealth, unless you're in some really oddball party with no way to cast Greater Magic Weapon and Keen Edge, and none of the enemies you fight buff themselves or play intelligently.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by GenghisDon View Post
    I disagree, I think the class has enough suckatude built in they ought be uping their amulet pretty much every level.

I'd probably house rule the class to be able to craft that specific item (or other slot, within reason, for +50% cost, or slotless for double cost), right from level one up.

I'm not sure what you are getting at about scimitars...but they are used in my games, although cornball, rediculous, make believe weapon types are all banned.

I'm also well aware I don't actually play 3.5/d20 D&D & have no interest in doing so; RAW is full of trash. DM's need to be garbagemen IMHO.

Still, if some warrior type(s)10/dervish 10 with a pair of +4 keen vorpal scimitars is useless or too feeble to be a L20 character in one's game, well, let's just say I'm glad that's not the case for my players.
    You realize Vorpal was modified in 3.5 to only trigger on natural 20's and not any crit, right? It's the next best thing to worthless if you have to spend money on it.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by QuickLyRaiNbow View Post
    That's just a hilarious misuse of wealth, unless you're in some really oddball party with no way to cast Greater Magic Weapon and Keen Edge, and none of the enemies you fight buff themselves or play intelligently.
    But intelligent foes don't dispel your buffs? LOL.

I'd imagine the party could (& probably did) cast those spells (along with circle of death) making them if desired.

The Glyphstone wrote: "You realize Vorpal was modified in 3.5 to only trigger on natural 20's and not any crit, right? It's the next best thing to worthless if you have to spend money on it."

Yeah. Such a character probably only lops off one head/round in combat.

RAW the keen probably is a waste, but we stack it an improved crit still, as should everyone.

At any rate, let's all just smugly be glad we don't play together & maybe talk about Truenamers?

I think the class is actually quite salvageable, abiet (gasp) needing a great deal of modifications.
    Last edited by GenghisDon; 2012-07-25 at 02:32 AM. Reason: additional thoughts

19. - Top - End - #259
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GenghisDon View Post
    Yeah. Such a character probably only lops off one head/round in combat.
    And how exactly is he making 20 attacks a round, assuming statistically average rolls? Even if he's got a Vorpal in each hand and 20 BAB, that's still only 8 chances each round to roll the 20, and he's probably not hitting on anything but a 20 if he's taking both TWF and iterative penalties (that's assuming that you even get iteratives on your off-hand which I'm not certain is true).

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    And how exactly is he making 20 attacks a round, assuming statistically average rolls? Even if he's got a Vorpal in each hand and 20 BAB, that's still only 8 chances each round to roll the 20, and he's probably not hitting on anything but a 20 if he's taking both TWF and iterative penalties (that's assuming that you even get iteratives on your off-hand which I'm not certain is true).
    Haste, flurry, slashing feat that gives an extra attack in exchange for -5 to hit, Rob's Gambit+double hit. + Wolf fang strike and the feat to treat a natural 1 as a 20 if it works with weapons
    Last edited by Lans; 2012-07-25 at 08:29 AM.

21. - Top - End - #261

1 head/round? You'll be extremely lucky if you get 1 head/encounter. And I'd personally still rather those nat 20s go to saving throws myself.

As far as salvaging the Truenamer, have you seen Kyeudo's Fix? (I pimp it every chance I get, it deserves the publicity.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #262
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lans View Post
    Haste, flurry, slashing feat that gives an extra attack in exchange for -5 to hit, Rob's Gambit+double hit. + Wolf fang strike and the feat to treat a natural 1 as a 20 if it works with weapons
    Which "flurry" is that? Not Flurry of Blows, which only works with special monk weapons.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Guys, I understand that this discussion has become interesting, but you can create a new thread to talk about it if it's important to you. This is a thread about the Truenamer class, and the discussion here by forum rules must be about Truenamers. Show Zaq a little respect, and keep the discussion about his excellent handbook or your experiences with the class.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Sure, 'tis over & never was interesting to start with, Raggedangel . No disrespect was ever intended towards Zaq.

Thanks for the link, Psyren

25. - Top - End - #265
    Pixie in the Playground

Sooo, i started playing a true namer a couple weeks ago, thought it looked interesting, argued about many many things with the GM, granted some, denied others, well with the most recent I seem to be denied conjunctive gate, at least the free version, looking at 1k xp a pop for using it now, should I just commit Seppuku and make another character? As far as I was concerned it was a key section of the class, at this point i am wondering if i should just off my self and restart a fresh character.

Looking for some advice on how i could argue it, or if i should give up and call it done.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Banned

Gate with its normal XP cost is still Gate. As long as the DM only nerfs it into the Bronze age, rather than Stone as I probably would, it should still give the game a good bending at the very least. And if you suffered through 18 levels of misery (1st doesn't count since TNs are almost good by the standards of that level, prior to their TS DCs beginning to skyrocket) to get to Truenamer 20, you deserve something for your trouble.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Colossus in the Playground

Gate in something with nice abilities, order it to fail its next save, then UPD power stones of Mind Switch and Astral Seed, kill yourself, and regenerate as the creature (doing it the other way also works, as Astral Seed explicitly allows you to Mind Switch into someone else's body and then smash the crystal to make it stick).
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Gate in something with nice abilities, order it to fail its next save, then UPD power stones of Mind Switch and Astral Seed, kill yourself, and regenerate as the creature.
    "So that you have a better race for your Truenamer?"
    "...yes. Yes, that is it."
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2013-01-17 at 01:11 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Gate in something with nice abilities, order it to fail its next save
    If your GM allows that to count as a legitimate command, he deserves what he gets.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhynim View Post
    As far as I was concerned it was a key section of the class, at this point i am wondering if i should just off my self and restart a fresh character.
    If your regard a class feature you get at level 20 as a key section of a class, then you play a different type of D&D then I do (to borrow an expression by Zaq).

I have currently a level 12 truenamer. He is doing fine. Of course, he doesn't have much in terms of competition: the party members are: a Samurai, a Ninja, a Monk and a Healer, all single classed, all level 12...