New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 52 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about Pathfinder.

If your question is about D&D 4e, ask here
    If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here.
    If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread regarding it.
    If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here.
    If you want to find a certain feat or ability, Lists of Stuff and X stat to Y bonus are both useful threads.

The Procedure:

Do:
    Label your questions with bold Q#s.
    Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
    Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
    Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
    Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
    Specify if your question is for a system other than Pathfinder (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
    Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
    Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
    Answer a question that’s already been recently answered.
    Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
    Post to debate the answers given.
    Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
    If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
    If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
    If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
    How do I play Pathfinder? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
    What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
    Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
    Q.1. Are there any Large for PC races?
    Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
    Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
    Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2013-02-08 at 02:07 AM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Ok, since I don't have the Bestiary in Hardcover and hate reading PDFs I've got some questions.

Q1.) What can now be affected by Sneak Attack and Crits? (It seemed the Undead template changed alot).

Q2.) Is Item creation on your own still viable as Caster?

That's at least that, what comes to my mind. (yeah I'm a bit rusty in the last times...)

Have a nice Day, Krazzman
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

"I am Yora, and I approve this freaking thread."

Q3: If I play a lizardfolk character (CR 1) in a party of 2nd level characters, do I start the game with 2 racial HD and one class level?
    Do I gain my second class level (and 4th hit die) at the same amount of XP as the other characters gain 3rd level?
    Last edited by Yora; 2011-09-06 at 12:19 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzman View Post
    Ok, since I don't have the Bestiary in Hardcover and hate reading PDFs I've got some questions.
    Almost everything is available online in the Pathfinder SRD. In addition to the copy on Paizo's site, there's other 3rd party editions out there.

Q1.) What can now be affected by Sneak Attack and Crits? (It seemed the Undead template changed alot).
    A1

Undead is not - and never has been - a template. It's a creature type.

Undead, as a type, are no longer immune to sneak attack or critical hits. Specific creatures can still maintain immunity. (I'm drawing a blank on an example at the moment.

Q2.) Is Item creation on your own still viable as Caster?
    Asking whether something is viable or not is not within the scope of this thread, as it doesn't deal with the RAW (rules as written) but instead deals with opinions.

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Q3: If I play a lizardfolk character (CR 1) in a party of 2nd level characters, do I start the game with 2 racial HD and one class level?
    Do I gain my second class level (and 4th hit die) at the same amount of XP as the other characters gain 3rd level?
    A3

Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD
    For monsters with racial Hit Dice, the best way to allow monster PCs is to pick a CR and allow all of the players to make characters using monsters of that CR. Treat the monster's CR as its total class levels and allow the characters to multiclass into the core classes. Do not advance such monsters by adding Hit Dice. Monster PCs should only advance through classes.

If you are including a single monster character in a group of standard characters, make sure the group is of a level that is at least as high as the monster's CR. Treat the monster's CR as class levels when determining the monster PC's overall levels. For example, in a group of 6th-level characters, a minotaur (CR 4) would possess 2 levels of a core class, such as barbarian.
    (That same quote should be in the Bestiary somewhere...)

So... your CR 1 lizardfolk with 1 class level would be treated the same as a human with 2 class levels. You would gain your 2nd class level when you have enough XP for 3rd level.
    Last edited by Zherog; 2011-09-06 at 12:23 PM.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

A1: Taken from the Pathfinder SRD, which is usually up to date on additions of later books and erratas:

Immune to Precision Damage (like Sneak Attacks):
    Elementals
    Incorporeal (unless using a ghost touch attack) creatures
    Oozes
    Proteans (50% ignore)
    Swarms can be Sneak Attacked, but not be flanked, so you'd have to find other ways to get Sneak Attack against them.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Asking whether something is viable or not is not within the scope of this thread, as it doesn't deal with the RAW (rules as written) but instead deals with opinions.
    Argh seem to have mixed up the vocab, sry, I meant if this by RAW imposes a penality like in 3.5 (where the Artificer replaced the XP cost through Craftpoints). So by RAW my question should be:

Q2.) Can Craftpoints still be used to create magic items?
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Q4- If an outsider has Dimensional Anchor cast upon it, will it be transported back to its home plane if targeted with Dismissal?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

A2 additional

Craft points don't exist in Pathfinder RAW. While Pathfinder is built on a 3.5 foundation, it has it's own ruleset. So while I appreciate what you're asking, it's still not really a topic for this thread. It's a great topic (in my opinion) and I'd encourage you to start a thread on it.
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Q5.) Can I cast a spell standing out of harms way, walk up to a target, and deliver a touch attack in one round.

Rules say I get free touch attack in same round, and that I can move between casting and delivering the touch.
    Last edited by DonDuckie; 2011-09-06 at 12:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

A5

Yes, you answered your own question.

Here's the rules quote for everybody else:

Touch Spells in Combat: Many spells have a range of touch. To use these spells, you cast the spell and then touch the subject. In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) as a free action. You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target. You can automatically touch one friend or use the spell on yourself, but to touch an opponent, you must succeed on an attack roll.
    John Ling

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Awesome View Post
    Q4- If an outsider has Dimensional Anchor cast upon it, will it be transported back to its home plane if targeted with Dismissal?
    A4

No - If it travels to a different plane, that's extradimensional travel, which is prevented by Dimensional Anchor.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Q6

Can animated weapons be affected by the arcane strike feat?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

A6

Arcane Strike doesn't say the weapon needs to be wielded, or even held. It simply says, "your weapons..." Given that, I'd say yes.
    John Ling

14. - Top - End - #14

Flumph

Q7

Would animated weapons also benefit from the imp. critical feat if they're the weapon you've designated for it?
    Last edited by Geigan; 2011-09-06 at 07:29 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

A7

No, due to the text of Animate Weapon:

The weapon never gains a flanking bonus, nor does it provide one for another attacker, and her feats do not aid its attacks.
    I would also like to state I approve of this thread

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

A 7 and revised A6

Actually, I'm changing my previous answer. The answer to both #6 and #7 seems to be no.

he weapon never gains a flanking bonus, nor does it provide one for another attacker, and her feats do not aid its attacks.
    (emphasis mine)
    Last edited by Zherog; 2011-09-06 at 07:52 PM.
    John Ling

17. - Top - End - #17

Flumph

Ah there we go. Missed that bit in the wall o' text.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Q8

Other than taking the evocation school, is there any way for a wizard to increase the damage of their direct damage-dealing spells? Note that I'm not looking for caster level increases, but rather +X damage with spells that deal direct damage (such as evocation spec.) or +X damage per die of damage rolled (such as Draconic Bloodline's Bloodline Arcana).
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2011-09-06 at 08:09 PM.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

A8: Dipping a level in Crossblooded Dragon-Orc Sorceror.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I already mentioned Sorc bloodlines (which wouldn't necesarily have to be a crossblood). Let me clarify - I'm asking how a wizard specifically can get the bonus (and now let me specifically add without multiclassing); I'm well aware that sorcs have a few options available to them.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

21. - Top - End - #21

Q9 (I think)
    Reading about Summoners and Eidolons.
    Eidolons have a Rake evolution that states "for a successful grapple, the Eidolon can have two Rake attacks".
    Is that EVERY successful grapple? Can you grapple a target multiple times (and get two free attacks for each)?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

A9

According to the universal monster rules:

"A monster with the rake ability must begin its turn already grappling to use its rake—it can’t begin a grapple and rake in the same turn."

So basically, you can get the attacks each round that you began with a grapple. Since you have to have started the round in a grapple, you could only get this bonus, at most, once per turn.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

23. - Top - End - #23

Q10

Imagine I use a whip and successfully trip an enemy who has a 5ft range from 10ft away.
    Can he (in one turn) use his movement action to get up, take a 5ft-step and attack me with his normal action? Or does standing up from being prone count as movement in regards to 5ft-steps?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

A10

It's not explicitly stated in the rules, but it appears as if standing prone does not count as movement in regards to performing a 5 foot step.

5 foot step:

"You can't take more than one 5-foot step in a round, and you can't take a 5-foot step in the same round that you move any distance."

By standing up prone you are still in the same spot you started off in.

Move:

"The simplest move action is moving your speed. If you take this kind of move action during your turn, you can't also take a 5-foot step."

Explicitly stated here that a regular move action doesn't let you 5 foot step.

Stand Up:

"Standing up from a prone position requires a move action and provokes attacks of opportunity."

It's not mentioned under Stand Up, however, which would imply it does allow a 5-foot step.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

A10 slight correction

Maybe it's picking semantic nits, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Blisstake View Post
    Move:

"The simplest move action is moving your speed. If you take this kind of move action during your turn, you can't also take a 5-foot step."

Explicitly stated here that a regular move action doesn't let you 5 foot step.
    The last sentence is incorrect -- move actions do not preclude a 5-foot step. Movement does.

That said, I agree completely with Blisstake's general answer to the question: standing from prone is a move action, but it is not movement. So a 5-foot step is still permitted.
    John Ling

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

That isn't contrary to anything I stated. I was just saying that the "move" move action specifically mentions not being able to 5-foot step.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

A10 Additional

I see it clearer now... You're using the term "regular" move action for movement, and I misinterpreted that somehow.

Conclusion: I need even more caffeine this morning...
    John Ling

28. - Top - End - #28

Q11:
    If I have an INT penalty of -2 and level in a class that only gives 2 skill points per level, do I get 0 skills points per level or 1 skill point? I thought I remember reading something about always getting at least 1 skill point, but I can't find it.

Q11A:
    If you always get a minimum of 1 skill point, would being a Human bring that up to 2 even if you have a large INT penalty, or is that counted in the same way INT bonus is?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

A11:
    You always get at least one skill point per level

You apply your character's Intelligence modifier to:
    The number of skill points gained each level, though your character always gets at least 1 skill point per level.
    A11A:
    I'm not sure about the part with humans, but since the ability reads that humans get an extra skill rank when they level rather than an extra skill point, I would think that a human character would still get it, even with a large INT penalty.

Skilled: Humans gain an additional skill rank at first level and one additional rank whenever they gain a level.

30. - Top - End - #30

Q9 addendum.
    I'm still a little confused about the Eidolon evolutions.
    Quadruped Eidolons can add a 'grab' ability to a natural claw attack, to give them a free grapple on a successful hit.
    They can then add the 'rake' ability to the same attack, that states they get two rake attacks on a successful grapple.

Am I to understand that these 'rakes' happen in the next round (and only once, meaning I have to let the target go and grapple them again to trigger them)?