New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Q85

Imagine this situation: A neutral cleric worships a neutral/neutral deity, and decides to spontaneously channel positive energy. If they later change their alignment to neutral evil, do they still channel positive energy? I imagine the answer is still yes, but I want to make sure.

Additional: Under ex-clerics it states that an ex-cleric can no longer gain levels as a cleric of their god until they receive an attonement. Can they gain levels as a cleric as a different god and keep their class features? This is vaguely wording, so I'm thinking the answer is no.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by von Tortrix View Post
    But it does make a difference in this situation because the length of time it takes it determined by this value so either
    [snip]
    i havn't drank my coffee quota for this time of the day so excuse me if this was poorly articulated.
    My apology, actually, I forgot to consider the later implications of the calculations.

Quote Originally Posted by Blisstake View Post
    Q85

Imagine this situation: A neutral cleric worships a neutral/neutral deity, and decides to spontaneously channel positive energy. If they later change their alignment to neutral evil, do they still channel positive energy? I imagine the answer is still yes, but I want to make sure.

Additional: Under ex-clerics it states that an ex-cleric can no longer gain levels as a cleric of their god until they receive an attonement. Can they gain levels as a cleric as a different god and keep their class features? This is vaguely wording, so I'm thinking the answer is no.
    A85...?
    The first one seems to be a DM call, it looks like an unpredicted occurrence with the given rules, so it depends on whether it's interpreted that the "evil Clerics always Channel negative" or "Once this choice is made, it cannot be reversed" is the most important part.

I'm slightly more inclined to the former actually, just because neutral Clerics of evil deities Channel negative, so it looks like this is the most important part, but it's so teeny tiny of a thing that it can really go either way afaik.

And regarding Ex-Clerics, from the straight wording, it looks like they can keep advancing as Clerics from another god and I guess keep their abilities too, just adapting to the new god. But that doesn't look right...
    Last edited by Larpus; 2011-10-28 at 01:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q. 86

Does the feat 'Racial Heritage' allow me to add the benifits afforded by a level in a favored class for two races if they both have the same favored class? e.g. Human (gnome racial heritage) favored class Alchemist: add one aditional discovery, add +1/2 dice for bomb dmg.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

A86: You still get only one benefit from taking one level in your characters favored class. However, each level you can chose to take either the special feature for human or gnome.

Characters of all races can take +1 skill rank or +1 hit point, as well as a special benefit for combinations of race and class, but only one of them to the exclusion of the others. Just having more than one options does not allow you to take more than one.
    Last edited by Yora; 2011-10-28 at 01:14 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Q87: If a silver dragon uses its change shape ablity to assume human form, does it retain its original Str, Dex, and Con scores?

Q88: Do the Str and Dex boni from Alter Self apply always depending on the form you take, or only when your size changes to Medium or Small?
    RAW clearly says the former, but the later seems so obvious that I wonder if there's any clarification on it.

Q89: Polymorph spell do not allow you to take the form of a specific creature, but some provide a +20 bonus on Disguise checks. Is that bonus limited to checks to impersonate the creature, or does it also apply to impersonating a specific person?
    Last edited by Yora; 2011-10-29 at 04:04 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A87: Yes, it retains its physical ability scores and gains a bonus depending on size. Since its actual size might also change, the size modifiers (armor, attack, hide, etc.) are also modified, this is easy to forget when dealing with larger (or smaller) creatures than normal.

A88: The bonuses apply regardless of whether or not your size actually changes. This has been confirmed on paizo forums.

A89: I'm not sure about this one. The Polymorph spell says you get a +20 bonus on Disguise but the Disguise skill says you get a +10 bonus. You can't create a disguise for a specific person but you can emulate its type, height, weight, age, etc. which would grant you the bonus regardless of what you were trying to do.

Edit: Since spells are more specific, I would say the +20 bonus takes precedence. No idea why the skill description and magic description aren't the same.
    Last edited by Keneth; 2011-10-29 at 05:45 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Q90: A creature standing in a 5-ft corridor is wielding a tower shield and claiming total cover in the direction of an enemy throwing splash weapons. The total cover prevents the enemy from directly attacking the creature, but if the splash weapon is instead thrown at the square directly in front of the creature, will it deal splash damage despite the total cover from the shield?

8. - Top - End - #278

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Q90: A creature standing in a 5-ft corridor is wielding a tower shield and claiming total cover in the direction of an enemy throwing splash weapons. The total cover prevents the enemy from directly attacking the creature, but if the splash weapon is instead thrown at the square directly in front of the creature, will it deal splash damage despite the total cover from the shield?
    A90: A creature standing in a 5-ft corridor with total cover would still take damage from a splash weapon; the rules give no allowance over the blocking of splash weapons when you have Total Cover. Thus, you can still damage the creature, because he is adjacent to the thrown splash weapon.
    ~ Thanks to Crimmy for Richardtar ~

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

@90: But when you have total cover, there is no line of effect. By that rule a splash attack would injure people on the other side of a solid stone wall as well.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A90 addendum

Line of effect is relative to the source of the splash. So yes, throwing a splash weapon to the square behind the barrier providing total cover would affect anything in that space normally. That is assuming that the thrower has a line of sight to that square in order to target it (DM's discretion if the creature can see past the tower shield).

11. - Top - End - #281

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    @90: But when you have total cover, there is no line of effect. By that rule a splash attack would injure people on the other side of a solid stone wall as well.
    Q90.5: That would relate to the next question I was going to ask - does total cover, such as from a tower shield, block line of effect? It'd prevent the creature behind the shield from being splashed if it does, as well as shield it from line and burst area spells (though not targeted spells).

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

A90: Straight from the PF SRD:
    If you don't have line of effect to your target, he is considered to have total cover from you.
    Completely blocking line of effect is the definition of total cover.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Dwarf in the Playground

Erm, that is not a logical conclusion.

If not line of effect > total cover

Only conclusion from that is

not total cover > line of effect

The converse is not necessarily true.
    Awesome avatar made by Eruantion!

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

What else is there that would block line of effect that isn't total cover?

15. - Top - End - #285

More like there could be total cover that doesn't block line of effect - such as a tower shield, since it does grant total cover but explicitly allows for targeted spells on the wielder via the shield, it could be ruled that other line-of-effect things, such as splash weapons or line spells, can bypass the shield as well.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    it could be ruled that other line-of-effect things, such as splash weapons or line spells, can bypass the shield as well.
    RAW only allow for targeted spells to affect the target behind a tower shield, it otherwise acts no different than a wall and hence blocks all attacks that pass through it, including splash weapons.

17. - Top - End - #287

Q91
    I know you need two hands to wield a 2-handed weapon, but do you also need both to just hold it?

Can you, for example, wear a buckler strapped to one arm and, after attacking with a greasword or something, let go of it with a free action and benefit from the buckler's AC bonus?

Or, if you have claws, let go of the sword and make a claw attack with one of your hands?

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A91

For the first part, you have to realize that all the turns (yours, your allies' and opponents') basically happen at the same time. The initiative line creates only an illusion of the fight happening sequentially. So yes, you can let go of the two-handed weapon to receive its AC bonus but you won't actually get that bonus until the next round (because you forfeited it due to fighting with that hand) and it goes away again if you decide to attack.

As for the second part, yes, I believe you can make a natural attack with one claw and hold on to the sword with the other. Remember that all natural attacks count as secondary when wielding a manufactured weapon though.

19. - Top - End - #289

Daemon

A91 clarification: By RAW you cannot receive an AC bonus from wearing a buckler on the same turn in which you made an attack using a two-handed weapon. There is no way around this.

As for letting go with one hand from a two-handed weapon to make an alternate attack with one hand, this is indeed a free action. It is also a good tactic when if you are wielding a reach weapon and someone gets up close and personal. A (spiked) gauntlet will count as a melee weapon getting you around any issues you might encounter with natural attacks. You could even choose to attack using a two-handed weapon in one hand but you would incur penalties from using an oversized weapon.
    Last edited by Lord Bingo; 2011-10-31 at 07:36 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290

Q91+
    This one I thin to be one big no as it's borderline exploit, but here it goes:

Can you also as a free action change your weapon to the other hand (that just made a claw attack) and make your second claw attack with the, now free, hand?

By RAW it sounds possible, but feels very exploity.

Q92
    Let's say you're a half-caster, such as Alchemist, Bard, Inquisitor, Magus or Summoner. By default you can't use spell completion items (aka. scrolls) without a UMD check, even if they are in your class' list.

However, what happens if you grab the Scribe Scroll feat?

It doesn't require you to be a full-caster, so you can take it and, as such, make scrolls. But it also doesn't say it gives you the ability to use them without a UMD check, so by RAW are you in a weird and awkward situation where you're a blacksmith who can make swords but has no idea how to swing them?

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Larpus View Post
    Q92
    Let's say you're a half-caster, such as Alchemist, Bard, Inquisitor, Magus or Summoner. By default you can't use spell completion items (aka. scrolls) without a UMD check, even if they are in your class' list.
    How did you get this impression? I never heard that and don't find anything like that in the rules.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Can you also as a free action change your weapon to the other hand (that just made a claw attack) and make your second claw attack with the, now free, hand?
    This one is up to the DM's discretion as he's the one delegating how many free actions of a certain kind you can do at any given time. There's a good chance he'll say no.

Q92
    Actually you can use any scroll of the correct type (arcane or divine) assuming the spell is on your spell list. So a magus could cast a scroll of shocking grasp that was scribed by a wizard. If the spell is not on your spell list, if your ability isn't high enough, or if the scroll is not of the right type, you are required to make a UMD check.

23. - Top - End - #293

Q92+
    Hmmm...I thought I had read it somewhere, so I either imagined the whole deal, it's either very deep and hidden or it has been changed.

That said, the limitation does exist for the Alchemist, probably because he casts so differently from the rest.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Although the alchemist doesn’t actually cast spells, he does have a formulae list that determines what extracts he can create. An alchemist can utilize spell-trigger items if the spell appears on his formulae list, but not spell-completion items (unless he uses Use Magic Device to do so). [...]
    Last edited by Larpus; 2011-10-31 at 08:32 AM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Yes, since the alchemist doesn't actually cast spells, he can't use spell completion items which basically require you to cast it the same way you would a spell.

25. - Top - End - #295

So, by RAW, the Alchemist does get into the awkward situation of knowing how to make something and have no idea how to use it, right?

Could it be considered a RAW update to allow an Alchemist with Scribe Scroll to read scrolls normally though? After all, the feat was created before the Alchemist and it's a minor enough thing that is unlikely to be truly noticed and corrected (hell, Alchemist is my favorite class for some months now and I just noticed this myself).

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Actually no, since the Alchemist doesn't actually cast spells, he doesn't have a caster level, although for the purposes of spell effects and dispel magic, he treats his alchemist level as the caster level. Since he's not a caster, he can't take Scribe Scroll. You could multiclass and take scribe scroll but he still wouldn't be able to scribe scrolls from his formulas (even though he can create formulas from scrolls).

27. - Top - End - #297

That's debatable, it's specifically mentioned that "The alchemist uses his level as the caster level to determine any effect based on caster level", my DM has taken this as to meaning he does indeed have a CL and can select feats as normal.

But since this is diverting from "simple Q&A", here is a new thread for that.
    Last edited by Larpus; 2011-10-31 at 10:39 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q94: When crafting an item you don't meet the prereqs for, does increasing the DC by 5 allow you to craft the item without that prereq? Or does it increase the DC by 5 to allow someone who does meet the prereq help you?

29. - Top - End - #299
    Orc in the Playground

A94: From the PRD:

Note that all items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item's creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed). The DC to create a magic item increases by +5 for each prerequisite the caster does not meet. The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create spell-trigger and spell-completion magic items without meeting their spell prerequisites.
    Bolded is mine. There are not rules for helping another one create an item, as far as I know.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NamelessNPC View Post
    A94: From the PRD:

Bolded is mine. There are not rules for helping another one create an item, as far as I know.
    Yeah, I was referring to the part where it says that you can use spell completion items or other casters. I just wanted to make sure that I was misinterpreting what it was saying and skipping prereqs by adding 5 when rules as intended was saying if I dont meet the prereq I have to up the DC by 5 and find a caster to cast the prereq for me lol