New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

A94+ I see no reason why you should not be able to receive help via an assist action, just like in combat. In that case the people helping you would simply need to make a DC 10 skill check to provide a +2 bonus to your skill roll. Logically they would need to remain with you for the duration of the process of creation.

-edit- Obviously they too would have to meet the prerequisites for creating the item in question.
    Last edited by Lord Bingo; 2011-11-01 at 07:57 AM.

2. - Top - End - #302

Q95
    I might be blind or just looking in the wrong places for not finding it, but what is the relationship between beings that occupy more than 5ft (such as a large creature that occupies a 10x10ft square) and area/splash damage?

Does the creature receive the damage numerous times as parts of its body are within the blast/splash? Or it's once just like a medium creature and that's it?

3. - Top - End - #303
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q96
    How do you do a strength check in pathfinder? I have a statue thats needs to be turned to open a secret door. Is it worth making them do a strength check or just let it turn?

Sorry havnt played in years and that was AD&D :(

Thanks for the replies...no further advice is required. Apologies for posting my second query in the wrong forum.
    Last edited by Chopa; 2011-11-02 at 06:27 AM.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

A 96

Roll a d20 and add your Strength modifier. You can also allow others to "aid another." To do so, they roll a d20 and add their Strength mod. If that total equals or exceeds 10, the "main" person gets a +2 to their check.

Whether or not it's "worth" making them do a check isn't really a RAW question, so isn't part f this thread. For whatever it's worth, though, a piece of design advice I got a long time ago was: If you require a check, assume they'll fail. If what's behind the statue (in this case) is required to complete the adventure, then maybe you want to rethink your method; if, on the other hand, what's there is just bonus stuff (extra loot, a shortcut to the end, etc), then definitely require some sort of check to earn the bonus.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

5. - Top - End - #305

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    A 96

Roll a d20 and add your Strength modifier. You can also allow others to "aid another." To do so, they roll a d20 and add their Strength mod. If that total equals or exceeds 10, the "main" person gets a +2 to their check.

Whether or not it's "worth" making them do a check isn't really a RAW question, so isn't part f this thread. For whatever it's worth, though, a piece of design advice I got a long time ago was: If you require a check, assume they'll fail. If what's behind the statue (in this case) is required to complete the adventure, then maybe you want to rethink your method; if, on the other hand, what's there is just bonus stuff (extra loot, a shortcut to the end, etc), then definitely require some sort of check to earn the bonus.
    A96+
    It comes without saying really, but since I had this problem in the past I might as well add: due to the low bonus nature of raw ability score checks, please, remember to lower the DC considerably, especially if you want the PCs to pass. I've had a DM be amazed because I couldn't pass a DC 20 Str check with my Barbarian, despite the fact that I needed a 15 or better (13 with Rage) to pass the check.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

A 96 add'l

Very good point. There's probably a lot of advice that can be given around this topic. If you'd like some more advice, Chopa, it's definitely a topic worthy of its own thread.
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Larpus View Post
    Q95
    I might be blind or just looking in the wrong places for not finding it, but what is the relationship between beings that occupy more than 5ft (such as a large creature that occupies a 10x10ft square) and area/splash damage?

Does the creature receive the damage numerous times as parts of its body are within the blast/splash? Or it's once just like a medium creature and that's it?
    A95: Just once. The splash affects creatures within 5ft of the target, not within 5ft of the point of impact. Yes, this means that the larger the target the more squares are affected.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    For whatever it's worth, though, a piece of design advice I got a long time ago was: If you require a check, assume they'll fail. If what's behind the statue (in this case) is required to complete the adventure, then maybe you want to rethink your method; if, on the other hand, what's there is just bonus stuff (extra loot, a shortcut to the end, etc), then definitely require some sort of check to earn the bonus.
    Good advice, this. Don't have players roll dice unless you can deal with them failing or succeeding.

And specifically for situations like this one, don't forget the Take 20 rules.
    Last edited by Arbane; 2011-11-01 at 03:23 PM.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

9. - Top - End - #309
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 97

If I take the Two-Weapon Warrior Fighter archetype for the Double Strike ability and I have the feat Two-Weapon Rend, can I make a rend attack when I hit with both of my attacks in an AoO?

If the answer is yes, which I think it is, will the 1/round limitation on rend attacks from the feat apply to the previous round, or the next (as is the case with immediate actions)?

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

A97: Attack of Opportunity is defined as "a single meele attack" while Double Strike is a "standard attack" action.
    With an AoO, you don't make a standard attack, so you can't use your Double Strike ability as an AoO.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

11. - Top - End - #311
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    A97: Attack of Opportunity is defined as "a single meele attack" while Double Strike is a "standard attack" action.
    With an AoO, you don't make a standard attack, so you can't use your Double Strike ability as an AoO.
    Sorry, I meant the Equal Opportunity ability. So, same question, except if I had said what I meant to say.

12. - Top - End - #312

Daemon

A97+ Yes, you do get to make a rend attack, provided you hit with both your main and offhand weapons.

The 1/round applies to the current round of combat, even if you apply it as an AoO. It is not a question of your individual turn in the combat round, but of the combat round as a whole.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

A97: A new round usually starts at the beginning of your next turn, so you can only make the rend as an AoO if you did not used it on your last turn.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Q98

Anyone familiar with Words of Power? I have a question about the WOP feats...

Say I have a normal-casting oracle who takes Experimental Wordcaster. Can he take Extra Word for his next feat? I believe the pre-req (Ability to cast Wordspells) is granted by the former feat.

Taking Experimental Wordcaster repeatedly appears to be strictly better than taking Extra Word for dabblers, since the former offers 2 effect or meta words of any level you can cast (including your highest), whereas the latter lets you take 1 word (highest) or 2 words (highest -1).
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

15. - Top - End - #315

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    Q98

Anyone familiar with Words of Power? I have a question about the WOP feats...

Say I have a normal-casting oracle who takes Experimental Wordcaster. Can he take Extra Word for his next feat? I believe the pre-req (Ability to cast Wordspells) is granted by the former feat.

Taking Experimental Wordcaster repeatedly appears to be strictly better than taking Extra Word for dabblers, since the former offers 2 effect or meta words of any level you can cast (including your highest), whereas the latter lets you take 1 word (highest) or 2 words (highest -1).
    A98
    I see no reason why it shouldn't allow you to take Extra Word, after all you can now "cast wordspells" which is the main (and hardest to get) condition to qualify for Extra Word.

Also yes, taking Experimental Wordcaster over and over is better than Extra Word for the mentioned reasons, unless what you're after is the 2 lower words.

Oh, and from the way it's worded, it seems like having Experimental Wordcaster allows you to choose words in place of spells on level up.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q99

I've been dealing with items that replicate spells a lot lately so I want to check a few things. Correct me if I'm wrong:

(1) Spell Completion items use your own caster level and primary attribute to determine the effects of the spell. If your caster level isn't high enough and you succeed the CL check, do you use the minimum caster level (spell level*2 - 1) instead?

(2) Spell Trigger items use the minimum requisite attributes required to cast the spell, so a 4th level spell would use an effective primary ability score of 14, making the DC=16. The crafter can also raise the CL at creation instead of using the minimum. Your caster level is irrelevant as long as the spell is on your spell list, right?

(3) Use activated items like potions use your level as CL. Is the primary ability score used equal to the minimum (where applicable)?

Q100 Is there any way to ground a flying creature at lower levels (up to lvl5)?
    Last edited by Keneth; 2011-11-03 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Another question

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

A99:

1. No, spell completion items have their CL set at creation, usually the minimum that is neccessary to cast the spell. I assume the DC is set as well, but I don't find any info on that.

2. Yes.

3. No. Again the CL is set by the creator during creation, usually the minimum required to cast the spell.

The only time you use your own Caster Level and stats are when using Staffs.

A100: A creature hit by a tanglefoot bag must make a DC 15 Reflex check or becomes unable to fly.
    Last edited by Yora; 2011-11-03 at 06:59 AM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

A100

If they have actual wings, and Tanglefoot bag might be useful. Spells that can neutralize fliers include Charm Person, Hypnotism (they have to 'stand still', so if they don't have the maneuverability to hover then they'll have to descend), Sleep, Gust of Wind (if they're small enough), or Color Spray (if they're dumb enough to get within 15 feet).
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A99:
    3. No. Again the CL is set by the creator during creation, usually the minimum required to cast the spell.
    Actually to quote the SRD:
    The drinker of a potion is both the effective target and the caster of the effect (though the potion indicates the caster level, the drinker still controls the effect).
    So a potion uses your character level as the caster level.

I've also found the entry for scrolls but unlike in 3.5, it says that the CL is determined by the scriber, so I guess you're right about that one. You're also right about the ability score, I thought scrolls used your own but I guess staves are the only exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    A100

If they have actual wings, and Tanglefoot bag might be useful. Spells that can neutralize fliers include Charm Person, Hypnotism (they have to 'stand still', so if they don't have the maneuverability to hover then they'll have to descend), Sleep, Gust of Wind (if they're small enough), or Color Spray (if they're dumb enough to get within 15 feet).
    It doesn't look like any of this is gonna work although repeatedly throwing tanglefoot bombs (if the alchemist decides to take the discovery) might succeed eventually.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Q101: Can a shield bash be made as an attack of opportunity?

Q102: Can a shield bash be used as a mainhand attack?[/b]
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2011-11-03 at 08:08 AM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

A101: Attacks of Opportunity are defined as "a single melee attack". A shield counts as an off-hand martial weapon, so you can attack with it.

A102: This is a bit more complicated. PF and 3.5e don't have right-handedness or left-handedness anymore. However, the rules for main hand and off hand attacks suggest that you are still considered to have a strong arm and a weak arm. And since you would carry a weapon in your strong hand and the shield strapped to the other, it makes sense to always treat the shield as the off-hand weapon.
    However, there is nothing that would prevent you from using a shield with your main hand. But simply not using your weapon and making only a single attack with your shield on your shield arm, would not make it a main-hand attack under this assumption.
    Last edited by Yora; 2011-11-03 at 08:29 AM.

22. - Top - End - #322

A102: This is a bit more complicated. PF and 3.5e don't have right-handedness or left-handedness anymore. However, the rules for main hand and off hand attacks suggest that you are still considered to have a strong arm and a weak arm. And since you would carry a weapon in your strong hand and the shield strapped to the other, it makes sense to always treat the shield as the off-hand weapon.
    However, there is nothing that would prevent you from using a shield with your main hand. But simply not using your weapon and making only a single attack with your shield on your shield arm, would not make it a main-hand attack under this assumption.
    A102 Contested?
    Actually, there might be an impossibility by RAW due to the following text:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shield Bash Attacks

You can bash an opponent with a shield, using it as an off-hand weapon. Used this way, a shield is a martial bludgeoning weapon.

For the purpose of penalties on attack rolls, treat a heavy shield as a one-handed weapon and treat a light shield as a light weapon.

It is stated that shield bashes are off-hand attacks, which the way it was explained to me is an attack that you do "with the motion", an extra attack without any true strength to back them up, which is why you can make a full Str main attack with your left hand in a round and the following it's suddenly a half-Str offhand attack.

Anyway, it is also possible that this bit of text doesn't mean "shield bashes are offhand attacks" but rather "may be used as offhand attacks", in which case it follows the normal rules for weapons and allows you to use it as a main hand attack as well as two-hand it.

As per my reading it seems like it can go both ways, it makes sense that it follows normal weapon rules (may be offhand), but it also makes sense that it has its own specific set of rules as they're not designed to be true weapons (are offhand), so I say it's a DM call.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

A99:(3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post
    Actually to quote the SRD:
    So a potion uses your character level as the caster level.
    The SRD quote is the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    The drinker of a potion is both the effective target and the caster of the effect (though the potion indicates the caster level, the drinker still controls the effect).
    This is the same quote as originally included.

The quote specifically states "the potion indicates the caster level." This succinctly answers the question about the consumer of the potion dictating the level of the potion - the level of the potion is dictated when created. A potion does not use the consumer's character or caster level as the spell effect's caster level.

The second part of that quote ("the drink still controls the effect") is tied to the phrase "the drinker of a potion is ... the caster of the effect." This is a statement of spell-effect ownership, not about dictating the caster level of the effect.

While this level of syntactical analysis can be mind-dizzying, the RAW has no ambiguity about the caster level - the caster level of a potion is set by the creator when the potion is created and is completely independent of the entity that consumes the potion itself.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Q103: What is the DC against spells cast from scrolls and wands?

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

Q103: What is the DC against spells cast from scrolls and wands?
    A103

10+Spell Level+minimum ability modifier required to cast that spell

So...

Level 1: DC 11
    Level 2: DC 13
    Level 3: DC 14
    Level 4: DC 16
    Level 5: DC 17
    Level 6: DC 19
    Level 7: DC 20
    Level 8: DC 22
    Level 9: DC 23

There are a few class features out there that allow you to increase this amount, however.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

A103

From the Magic Items section of the PRD:

Saving Throws Against Magic Item Powers

Magic items produce spells or spell-like effects. For a saving throw against a spell or spell-like effect from a magic item, the DC is 10 + the level of the spell or effect + the ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell.

Staves are an exception to the rule. Treat the saving throw as if the wielder cast the spell, including caster level and all modifiers to save DCs.

Most item descriptions give saving throw DCs for various effects, particularly when the effect has no exact spell equivalent (making its level otherwise difficult to determine quickly).
    John Ling

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    The quote specifically states "the potion indicates the caster level." This succinctly answers the question about the consumer of the potion dictating the level of the potion - the level of the potion is dictated when created. A potion does not use the consumer's character or caster level as the spell effect's caster level.

The second part of that quote ("the drink still controls the effect") is tied to the phrase "the drinker of a potion is ... the caster of the effect." This is a statement of spell-effect ownership, not about dictating the caster level of the effect.

While this level of syntactical analysis can be mind-dizzying, the RAW has no ambiguity about the caster level - the caster level of a potion is set by the creator when the potion is created and is completely independent of the entity that consumes the potion itself.
    I'm finding it hard to see it that way. I read this as - since you are both the caster and the controller of the effect, the potion uses your own caster level even though the potion indicates one. Otherwise there's no point in the second part of the sentence, it could have simply and unambiguously said "(though the potion still dictates the caster level)", in fact they could have just skipped the whole section since all of this is implied anyway.

Of course I agree that it should be the creator's CL that gets used, I'm just not looking forward to arguing this point with my players. The rules also say that "for potions, scrolls, and wands, the creator can set the caster level" and there would be no point in setting the caster level if it didn't have any effect.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

The person drinking the potion is the caster for the purpose of spells that are "target: self". The person drinking the potion gets the effect, not the person who created the potion three weeks ago.

29. - Top - End - #329

It would be funny to sell potions of Alter Self with the effect of turning the drinker into a female half-orc with a pink dress.

Back on topic.

Q104
    Ok, so to create a MW weapon/armor you need a set extra gp cost, namely 300 and 150.

However the price is 100% static? I mean, it would make sense to have MW small equipment cost less and large+ cost more, but that doesn't seem to be the case (in fact, the base price itself seems static). Is that correct?

Q105
    Somewhat similar to 104, but are there small and large versions of tools of trade (such as the Alchemist Portable Lab)? Again, the rules don't seem to make any distinction, but that doesn't look right.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

A104: It's always 300 and 150 gp, regardless of what you are making.

A105: The rules, as written, do not care about size for tools.