New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Q106: If you cast detect magic or similar spell, does the round in which you cast the spell count as the 1st round of concentration?

Q107: Is there a way to identify specific spells that are in place after they have been cast?

Q108: What exactly does it mean when a spell says "counters and dispels X"? Counterspelling I know, but when a creature under the effect of remove fear is targeted by a cause fear spell, does the remove fear spell automatically end if it does, is the cause fear spell negated or still becomes effective?
    Last edited by Yora; 2011-11-05 at 01:40 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Q106: If you cast detect magic or similar spell, does the round in which you cast the spell count as the 1st round of concentration?

Q107: Is there a way to identify specific spells that are in place after they have been cast?

Q108: What exactly does it mean when a spell says "counters and dispels X"? Counterspelling I know, but when a creature under the effect of remove fear is targeted by a cause fear spell, does the remove fear spell automatically end if it does, is the cause fear spell negated or still becomes effective?
    A106

It doesn't seem to be stated any where, but I'm fairly certain the spell goes into effect as soon as you cast it, and each concentration check allows you to extend the duration by one round.

A107

Knowledge Arcana check, DC 20 + spell level.

A108

It means you can use one of those spells to counterspell another being cast (this is noted under the counterspell description). Under "Stacking Effects" in the chapter on Magic (pg 209), it also mentions that spells with that description negate eachother. This is entire vague, but I believe it means if you cast an opposed spell to an effect already in place, it is automatically dispelled.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

3. - Top - End - #333
    Spamalot in the Playground

A106: It would have to. If the round when you cast the spell didn't count as concentrating on it, no spell with a duration of concentration would last long enough to get to the second round (as you aren't able to spend a standard action concentrating.)

A107b: In addition to the Knowledge check answer above, you can use a spell like Analyze Dweomer to avoid the need for a check.

A108: You're asking whether, if a spell that has a duration (A) is used to dispel another spell that has a duration (B), whether A will go on to be in effect on the target or whether A and B will cancel each other out with no other effects - is that right?

It doesn't seem to be clearly stated anywhere in RAW; I personally would go with both negating each other (thus you would need two "Cause Fear" to scare someone protected by Remove Fear, rather than one) as this makes the most sense to me, but check with your DM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A108+

The canceling each other out seems pretty clear with spells that only affect one or more targets, one dispels the other and neither continues functioning unless otherwise specified. It's more complex with spells that have an area such as Darkness, in that case I'd use the rules of (Greater) Dispel Magic and dispelling area spells, if your spell covers the origin, you dispel the whole thing, otherwise just the intersection of the two.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Q109 For the Transmutation school for Wizard. Does the Physical Enhancement affect hit points if you put it into Constitution and then gain a level?

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A109 Any bonus to Constitution (whether temporary or permanent) always affects your hit points (assuming your modifier is increased).

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Q110 Can a rogue taking both minor and major magic for his rogue powers enter the Dragon Disciple PrC?

If I named the powers wrong, I'm refering to the RPs that grant a 0th and 1st lvl spell as an SLA for a few times per day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

A 110

No. The rogue talents grant a spell-like ability. The prestige class requires the ability to cast actual spells.

(Edit: and you had the names right...)
    Last edited by Zherog; 2011-11-07 at 11:29 PM.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Q110 Can a rogue taking both minor and major magic for his rogue powers enter the Dragon Disciple PrC?

If I named the powers wrong, I'm refering to the RPs that grant a 0th and 1st lvl spell as an SLA for a few times per day.
    A110
    No, the Rogue Talents are Spell-like Abilities, not proper spells, so it doesn't allow you to qualify.

Even if it did, a case could be made from the fact that it keys from Int, which I believe is always coupled with prepared casters, not spontaneous, hinting that a Rogue with these talents can "cast that one prepared spell" as opposed to "only know one spell to cast spontaneously".

EDIT: Ninja-ed!
    Last edited by Larpus; 2011-11-07 at 11:33 PM.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Q111
    How would Heighten Turning work with Divine Spell Power? Can I really use it to boost the test(like some people told me I could) even though HT's description starts by saying "When you turn or rebuke undead" instead of "When you use your turn or rebuke undead attempts"? I kinda thought that spending a turn attempt to use DSP would be like "turning, then redirecting the power to the spell", which would make it possible. Is that it?
    Last edited by Dazed&Confused; 2011-11-08 at 12:58 AM.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A111 This depends mostly on how your DM rules it. The way I read the RAW personally, I wouldn't allow it because heighten turning can be applied when using turn/rebuke undead as an ability and DSP is a completely different ability that merely uses a turn attempt.

And this is in the wrong thread, it should go to the 3.5 Q&A.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Holy ****, it's the wrong thread. hahaha

13. - Top - End - #343
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q. 112

Can I attempt a trip manuver as an Attack of Opportunity?
    With improved Trip?

14. - Top - End - #344
    Halfling in the Playground

Q113: Can a Wizard who has lost the Cantrips class feature (for example, through the Spellslinger archetype) still learn a 0-level spell when leveling and prepare it in a higher-level slot? I ask specifically because Mending would be useful to have around in the particular campaign I'm in and I don't mind putting it in a 1st level slot.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

A112: As RAW says "in place of a melee attack" and Attacks of Opportunity are melee attacks, you can. GMs might rule different, but the letter of the words say yes.

A113: Since cantrips are refered to as level 0 spells, you can do so.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

16. - Top - End - #346

Q114
    A friend mentioned this in the last game, but I couldn't find anything on the matter:

If I have Improved Trip (or similar) and try to trip someone who also happens to have the exact same feat, do both feats "cancel each" other and I provoke an AoO (and vice versa if said someone tries to trip me?

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

A114: No, Improved Trip only says "you don't provoke any Attack of Opportunity when making a Trip attack". So you don't.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Pixie in the Playground

A114

It sounds like you're mixing Improved Trip and Greater Trip since you're asking if you provoke an AoO if your opponent trips you.

With Improved Trip, when you make a Trip maneuver, you no longer provoke an AoO as you would without the feat.

With Greater Trip, if your opponent trips you, you do provoke an AoO since Improved Trip says nothing about AoOs triggered by being tripped.

The only things that would "cancel out" between two people with the same feats basically would be the +2 bonuses to CMB and CMD that Improved Trip gives.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 115

Under the description if an Intellect Devourer's Body Thief ability, it says that if the host body is slain, the Intellect Devourer is forced out of the body. It also says that to take control of a body, it must kill the person. Do you simply use the person's normal hit points, as if they were still alive to determine when the Intellect Devourer is forced out and dazed?

20. - Top - End - #350

Quote Originally Posted by Drelua View Post
    Q 115

Under the description if an Intellect Devourer's Body Thief ability, it says that if the host body is slain, the Intellect Devourer is forced out of the body. It also says that to take control of a body, it must kill the person. Do you simply use the person's normal hit points, as if they were still alive to determine when the Intellect Devourer is forced out and dazed?
    A115
    Since it's not mentioned anywhere that the intellect devourer gives extra hitpoints or forces a template on the host and the text makes special mention that both are separate entities, I'd say that yes, you use the host's normal HP, though it might be lacking some since it's already dead.

The other option, the host maintains as much HP as it had when attacked by the devourer, while making sense since it's implied that the host never heals, would mean that the devourer would walk around with a host at very low HP levels and most probably already slain, making no sense.

21. - Top - End - #351

Q 116:

The Arcane Trickster class specifies that to qualify, you must be able to cast 2nd-level arcane spells. However, under Spells per Day it only lists +1 level of existing class, and the description is as follows:
    When a new arcane trickster level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class she belonged to before adding the prestige class. She does not, however, gain other benefits a character of that class would have gained, except for additional spells per day, spells known (if she is a spontaneous spellcaster), and an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming an arcane trickster, she must decide to which class she adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.
    Nothing that specifies arcane spellcasting. Does this mean that as long as somebody qualifies for the class, they could also advance Divine spellcasting?

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ettin in the Playground

A 116

Yes, such a character could opt to increase divine casting instead of arcane casting.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

@116: While a literal reading of the letters does allow to improve divine spellcasting, the fact that the prerequisite explicitly asks for arcane spellcasting is an extremely strong indication, that the class can only advance arcane spellcasting.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 117: Can I change my Eilodon's base form? If yes, when?
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Q 118

part 1: If my fighter is wielding a reach weapon, but also has the improved unarmed strike feat, does that character threaten both adjacent squares and those 10' away?

part 2: What if that character took a level in monk, whose description says, "A monk's attacks may be with fist, elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may make unarmed strikes with his hands full."
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-11-10 at 07:53 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

A118: Unarmed Strikes usually don't threaten a square for attacks of opportunity, but in the same paragraph it says that you should look at the following paragraph for more details. In the following paragraph it is explained under what conditions unarmed attacks are considered "armed" and Improved Unarmed Strike is one of them.

So if you have the feat or are a monk, you can make attacks of opportunity with unarmed attacks. And there are no rules to holding a weapon when not making attacks, so you can do it even while holding a reach weapon.

27. - Top - End - #357

Quote Originally Posted by Elimu Marimech View Post
    Q 117: Can I change my Eilodon's base form? If yes, when?
    A117
    Well, you sort of can, you have to be a level 8+ and have the Evolutionist archetype, who can trade the Eidolon's base form whenever he gains a level.

Otherwise the base form is final and cannot be changed, so think carefully of what you'll get.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q 119 are there non-magical ways of causing the dazed condition?

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A119 Dazing Assault feat comes to mind but the prereqs are pretty heavy. I was gonna say dirty trick but after checking the SRD again, it doesn't actually allow you to daze (it's a pretty extreme condition).

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q120 Does a ranger with favored enemy Humanoid (human) receive normal bonuses against a human lycanthrope when in hybrid or animal form?