New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

A134 Crafters don't halve any price. When crafting an item, the crafter must pay one third of the total price. So to craft an adamantine longsword, you would pay 1005gp for raw materials and barring any failed checks, that's all. If you wanted to buy the weapon at a merchant, it would generally cost 3015gp.

A135 A summoned eidolon would register with an aura equal to the summoner's caster level. There is no spell level since it's not a spell nor a spell-like ability (although if you ever needed such a thing I'd say it would be equivalent to the highest level spell the summoner can cast, but that's not RAW, so...).

2. - Top - End - #392
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q136
    Exactly what is the relationship between different attack types and different DRs?

Can the DR only be beaten by the needed descriptor?

As in, a creature with DR/Cold Iron will receive reduced damage from all sources except for Cold Iron weapons?

What if it's DR/Good? Only Good attacks can bypass it? Not even magic?

And attacking a creature with DR/- with a +1 weapon? Full damage or only the +1 bypasses the DR?

EDIT: Btw, sorry if this was already asked, I can't remember and the search is being a brat.
    Last edited by Larpus; 2011-11-22 at 08:28 AM.

3. - Top - End - #393

A136
    The item after the "/" is what bypasses the DR.

In the case of DR/- NOTHING bypasses it.

Keep in mind DR only applies to physical damage such as from weapons. Elemental and magic damage ignores DR.
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

4. - Top - End - #394
    Halfling in the Playground

A136

Quote Originally Posted by Larpus View Post
    Can the DR only be beaten by the needed descriptor?
    In most cases, yes. A +3 weapon can overcome cold iron and silver DR, a +4 adamantine and a +5 alignment-based DR.

As in, a creature with DR/Cold Iron will receive reduced damage from all sources except for Cold Iron weapons?
    That is correct, barring the aforementioned exception.

What if it's DR/Good? Only Good attacks can bypass it? Not even magic?
    Attacks from a weapon with the Good enhancement will bypass it. Spells and spell-like abilities ignore DR.

And attacking a creature with DR/- with a +1 weapon? Full damage or only the +1 bypasses the DR?
    DR X/- represents DR that is effective against all attacks that do not explicitly ignore DR. The +1 doesn't factor into it all, it just represents a slightly higher chance of dealing actual damage. If you attack something that has DR 3/- with a dagger and a +2 Str mod, but roll a 1 on damage, your total damage is 3 and is negated. If that were a +1 dagger instead, your damage would be 4. 3 would be negated, but 1 would successfully get through.
    Similarly, if you had DR 5/- and were attacked by someone with a +1 dagger and a Srt mod of +0, you could stand there all day and not feel a thing, as the weapon's maximum damage in that case would be 5, and would be negated by your DR with each attack

Source.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Started in a city plaza where a summoned Girallon promptly appeared and began causing havoc.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by CommodoreCrunch View Post
    Attacks from a weapon with the Good enhancement will bypass it. Spells and spell-like abilities ignore DR.
    A136+ It's also worth noting that any creature with the Good subtype counts as if its weapons were good-aligned (same with other subtypes) as well as that any energy attacks will bypass damage reduction (so a flaming sword still deals 1d6 fire damage).

6. - Top - End - #396

GnomePirate

Q 137

Hi everyone!

Will Dimensional Agility (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/genera...sional-agility) allow me to take the rest of my actions if I use the Teleport subschool's 1st level ability? (http://www.pathfindersrd.com/classes.../teleportation)

You are "using" Dimensional Door, after all... thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
    Who watches the Watchmen?

Frontline Fighter? I barely know her!

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A137 By RAW, no. But since the ability is close enough to dimension door, the DM might allow it anyway. It only takes a swift action though, so it might affect game balance.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q138 When smiting, the first successful attack deals 2 points of damage per level (instead of 1). Is this the first successful attack since activating the ability or the first successful attack in an attack action?

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

A138: Since smite has effectively an unlimited duration and it doesn't say "each round" or "in a full attack", it seems that it applies to the very first hit the paladin makes after activating the Smite.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ettin in the Playground

q139

Amateur Gunslinger mentions deeds gained through items. A quick (emphasis) check of the items section of the SRD fails to produce any. Are there items that grant deeds or is this a "just in case" provision?

Q140

Does the old IF loophole of "anything is an improvised melee weapon" from 3.5 let a Magus use Spell Combat with a pistol (as it only requires a melee weapon, not melee attacks)?
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2011-11-29 at 07:54 AM.

11. - Top - End - #401

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    q139

Amateur Gunslinger mentions deeds gained through items. A quick (emphasis) check of the items section of the SRD fails to produce any. Are there items that grant deeds or is this a "just in case" provision?

Q140

Does the old IF focus loophole of "anything is an improvised melee weapon" from 3.5 let a Magus use Spell Combat with a pistol (as it only requires a melee weapon, not melee attacks)?
    A139
    I'm no Gunslinger expert, but it seems like a "just in case" as well as friendly reminder for DMs making custom items.

A140
    While I couldn't find anything that supports it, I couldn't find anything that goes against it either, so I'd say that there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do it while spanking people with your gun.

Funny to notice that Magi can't do that while unarmed, even if they have IUA or claws.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Q141:

The text of a tower shield reads:
    Benefit: In most situations, a tower shield provides the indicated shield bonus to your Armor Class. As a standard action, however, you can use a tower shield to grant you total cover until the beginning of your next turn. When using a tower shield in this way, you must choose one edge of your space. That edge is treated as a solid wall for attacks targeting you only. You gain total cover for attacks that pass through this edge and no cover for attacks that do not pass through this edge (see Combat). The shield does not, however, provide cover against targeted spells; a spellcaster can cast a spell on you by targeting the shield you are holding. You cannot bash with a tower shield, nor can you use your shield hand for anything else.
    Now - it's not specified what situations a tower shield does not grant its AC bonus. It is implied that when you use the 'Total Cover' function, you lose that AC bonus, but is that an incorrect reading?

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A141 Yes, you can either use it as a shield or as a cover.

14. - Top - End - #404

Daemon

A141+

The text strongly implies that you cannot receive a shield bonus to your AC on the same turn that you use the tower shield for full cover. To be clear, The Glyphstone's initial reading of the paragraph is not incorrect!

Think about it: once you have effectively converted your shield into a wall, you cannot move it about to deflect incoming attacks.
    Last edited by Lord Bingo; 2011-12-03 at 02:36 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Q142
    Does Spell Focus add to the DC of Spell-Like abilities?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

A142: No, because spell-like abilities are not spells.

I've been looking for something that could be used as proof that this is indeed the case, but all I got right now is this line from a quite different context:
    "Spell-like abilities cannot be used to counterspell, nor can they be counterspelled."
    But this should prove that spell-like abilities are not spells, but an entirely different type of ability that is not interchangeable with spells. There's probably a more direct line about that hidden somewhere in the rules. But the description for spell-like abilities is always explicit about creatures using "spell-like" abilities and never refering to the casting of them as "spells".

Edit: Here's a direct quote from the developers, why it's "No."
    Last edited by Yora; 2011-12-04 at 02:03 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

Q142b
    While spell-like abilities do not have slots, they are still part of the same school of magic as the spell they are, well, like.
    So the answer may not apply.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ettin in the Playground

A 142b

The answer is still no.

Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD, Universal Monster Rules
    Spell-Like Abilities (Sp) Spell-like abilities are magical and work just like spells (though they are not spells and so have no verbal, somatic, focus, or material components). They go away in an antimagic field and are subject to spell resistance if the spell the ability is based on would be subject to spell resistance.
    (emphasis mine)

Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD, feats
    Spell Focus

Choose a school of magic. Any spells you cast of that school are more difficult to resist.

Benefit: Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against spells from the school of magic you select.

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new school of magic.
    (emphasis mine)

Spell Focus adds one to the saving throw against spells. Spell-like abilities, by their definition in the UMR, are not spells.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Q142b:Epilogue
    Thanks for the clarification.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q: 143 When my crafter is making wonderous items, what kind of raw materials do I need? My DM asked me, and I had no idea. I just assumed I turned gold into magic items, and I cannot find anywhere in the books that clarifies this process.

I keep my workshop in a portable hole, so I can craft anywhere, will I need to go back to town to get materials? Or is there anyway to convert my gold to supplies without going to town?

I am credible! Proof below!

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    I came up with a line of reasoning and resulting numbers and they turned out to be the same as JoeYounger's.

21. - Top - End - #411

A143: To the absolute best of my knowledge (because I once scoured many 3.P books for this myself) The raw materials required aren't specified. What they actually are is just a matter of fluff and is up to you and the DM. They could include a bunch of witch-y, "eye of newt" type materials if you want but just remember, logic dictates that the raw materials should include the materials that make up the physical (not magical) structure of the item. So if you're creating a necklace, you'll want some metal, jewels, etc. Again, pure fluff. If you and your DM want to assume that you transmute money into magic items, good for you.

As for portability, generally, you buy unspecified raw materials equal to half the desired item's cost while you're in town and can carry them (within reason and at the DM's discretion) around while you work on the item. In your case, you could store them with the rest of your crafting stuff in your portable hole. So yes; if you buy the materials in town and/or find them, etc and keep them with you, you can craft on the go.

But as I said, I've never found a concrete source for this. So I could be wrong, and in that case I welcome being proved such.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Started in a city plaza where a summoned Girallon promptly appeared and began causing havoc.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q144: Are there any limitations as to the number of templates one can add to a Corpse Companion?
    I should add something more productive here...

23. - Top - End - #413
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q:145

If a halfling Paladin of at least 3rd level with the feat lucky halfing made a save vs fear for an ally would, would he get the +2 racial bonus and the +4 moral bonus from Aura of courage on the saving throw?

24. - Top - End - #414
    Dwarf in the Playground

A145:
    Once per day, when one of your allies within 30 feet makes a saving throw, you may roll the same saving throw as if you were the one subject to the effect requiring it.
    Emphasis is mine.
    By wording, I believe that your paladin is now considered the target of the fear effect and, due to being immune to it, would not be required to make a roll.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A144 I cannot see any indication that you would be allowed to give your corpse companion any templates at all. Although I suppose that any acquired templates that affect undead could be applied to a corpse companion when/if the situation arises (up to your GM) and there's generally no limit to how many templates a creature can have.

A145 Your aura of courage gives you immunity to fear (no bonus to rolls). This situation is rather unique but I'd generally have to agree with Azazer that, since you're immune, you don't have to roll. There are 3 possible solutions to this however; with the suggested one, you would grant your ally immunity for that one save but your GM may also rule that you either a) can't use this ability for this purpose since it explicitly says "as if you were affected" and your immunity means you cannot be affected or b) even though you don't have to roll a save, you can still choose to if you wish to use the ability, in which case you only get a +2 bonus from racial.

26. - Top - End - #416

I'm only just starting PF and I have what I think is a dumb question. I've looked through the PF Core Rulebook and the 3.5 to PF conversion guide and I didn't see my answer, though I might have missed it.

Q146: Does Pathfinder use level adjustment for powerful races?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Strormer; 2011-12-08 at 12:02 PM.
    Eladrin War-Skald avi by Vrythas Thanks so much! ^_^

My Extended Signature, including Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a: Neutral Good Human Druid/Cleric (2nd/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 11
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 13

27. - Top - End - #417
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q. 147

I hope this hasn't been asked already in the thread.
    How many skill ranks per HD do animal comanions get?
    I know their max rank is equal to their HD.

Thanks

28. - Top - End - #418
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q144A: The reason I'm asking is because of this part...
    She can use this ability to create a variant skeleton such as a bloody or burning skeleton, but its Hit Dice cannot exceed half her cleric level.
    A146: By RAW, it does not...(?)
    Quote Originally Posted by James Jacobs
    Level adjustments and ECLs are not a part of the Pathfinder game. Your GM has the say in what races are available for use as PCs; we presented two versions of the drow so that a GM could allow the less powerful one if he wanted. Appendix 4 of the Bestiary and Chapter 12 of the Pathfinder Core RPG give a few more guidelines on playing non-core races.
    A147:
    Animals get skill points equal to 2 + Int modifier per hit die with a minimum one point (before favored class modifiers).

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

A146: No, it doesn't. The recommended procedure to play other races is to treat the creatures CR as a character of the same level. So an ogre without any levels would be a 3rd level character and an ogre with one level in a class would be a 4th level character. But since some abilities are a lot more or less useful in the hands of player characters, GMs should check if the level of the creature should be a bit higher or lower than the CR to make it comparable to the other characters in the group.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q 148

If a target has fallen 'prone' are they denied their Dex to CMD?