New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

A148: No. A prone attacker has a –4 penalty on melee attack rolls and cannot use a ranged weapon (except for a crossbow). A prone defender gains a +4 bonus to Armor Class against ranged attacks, but takes a –4 penalty to AC against melee attacks. That's all.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A147 The exact number of skill points for an animal companion is given in the Skills column of the animal companion base statistics table.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core...mal-companions

Quote Originally Posted by Azazer View Post
    Q144A: The reason I'm asking is because of this part...
    Those are skeleton variants. Or in other words, skeleton is a template in and of itself, you can use a creature with the skeleton template for your companion but the ability also allows you to use one of the other skeleton templates instead of the base. You're not adding an extra template, you only get one and at a huge penalty if you choose a variant.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think I may have found what I was looking for in the Variant Skeletons description on the Paizo SRD...
    Each of the following skeleton types modifies the base skeleton in a few key ways. Except as noted, these variations can be stacked with one another—it's possible to have a bloody burning skeletal champion.
    Last edited by Baka Nikujaga; 2011-12-08 at 05:37 PM.
    I should add something more productive here...

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

They can be stacked like all templates can, but the ability still grants you only one variant. You can't take a bloody burning acid skeleton for a corpse companion unless your DM specifically lets you, or maybe if you halve the HD for each variant.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm afraid that explanation doesn't make sense though...since there is no language containing "one variant" beyond the amount of Corpse Companions you can legally obtain at a given time.
    Last edited by Baka Nikujaga; 2011-12-09 at 05:20 AM.
    I should add something more productive here...

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

That depends entirely on what you consider "a variant skeleton". If combining the templates creates a completely separate variant, then it's viable, if not, then it isn't since the rules make no mention of the ability to combine variants. In cases like these, the GM always has the last word.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Orc in the Playground

Q149: Is there any rule stating that Followers gained from Leadership must be members of an NPC class or can they be from any class?

Q150: Can templates be applied to Cohorts or Followers? If a player has access to 3rd level followers can he instead get 1st level followers with a +2 CR template?

Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

A149: No, such a rule existed in 3.0, but has long been discontinued since.

A150: I don't see any reason why not. Apply the same rules to followers and cohort as you would for PCs to determine their Effective Character Level.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks for the quick reply!

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

q151

Can Amateur Gunslinger pull deeds from Gunslinger archetypes?

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Q152:

This came up while talking with our normal DM about another group he dms:

Do spears (longspear) do double damage ON a charge? Because the special ability brace only applies against a charge.

(Background: halfling character in his group wanted a spear that can be screwed together to better put it away like a 3-part staff only in spear and thinks he does deal double damage and is backed up by the other players...)

Q153:

Does an elven wizard can maintain the ability to regain spells while only meditating 2 hours, and spending the next 6 hours with watchtime?

Q154:

Are there exact rules on what happens if you have a negative bonus in a Mental stat?
    (like for int 8 that you can't really speak fluently or with wis 7 are more likely to forget things/be naive?)
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

A152: No, the brace ability is very clear to work only when readying an action against a charging opponent. You deal double damage with a lange when making a charge while riding a mount, but that's an entirely different trait of a different weapon.

A153: He does regain spells, but only if he doesn't do anything that requires an action during those six hours. But if they get attacked by something, his sleep would get intereupted anyway, so it doesn't matter much.
    However, the Core Rulebook doesn't mention elves not needing sleep at all, and in Elves of Golarion it's stated to take 4 hours.

A154: No.
    Last edited by Yora; 2011-12-11 at 04:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

152: I hoped so, was quite shocked when he told me that. (was just to be sure)
    QA153: What action? Is standing guard an action?
    154: That sucks...

Thanks again Yora.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

14. - Top - End - #434
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Q155: Can a cleric choose both a domain AND one of it's sub domains as its 2 domains?

15. - Top - End - #435
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roto View Post
    Q155: Can a cleric choose both a domain AND one of it's sub domains as its 2 domains?
    A155: I am fairly certain you can't as the subdomain is still the same domain, just replacing parts of it. It seems to me like an archetype, which replaces class features, but you are still a Cleric or a fighter, just a Crusader or an Archer.
    Last edited by Stone Heart; 2011-12-11 at 05:22 PM.
    Awesome Avvy courtesy of Beholder1995

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

A153, #2:
    To prepare his daily spells, a wizard must first sleep for 8 hours. The wizard does not have to slumber for every minute of the time, but he must refrain from movement, combat, spellcasting, skill use, conversation, or any other fairly demanding physical or mental task during the rest period. If his rest is interrupted, each interruption adds 1 hour to the total amount of time he has to rest in order to clear his mind, and he must have at least 1 hour of uninterrupted rest immediately prior to preparing his spells. If the character does not need to sleep for some reason, he still must have 8 hours of restful calm before preparing any spells.
    I assume that "movements" reffers to walk longer distances that would take him outsite the immediate camp site. Getting up to get another blanket probably shouldn't count, even though it probably involves at least 5 feet of movement. Thought the rules as written don't say anything about that.

A155: No.
    If a cleric selects a subdomain, she cannot select its Associated Domain as her other domain choice (in effect, the subdomain replaces its Associated Domain).

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

Q156:
    Can an Elemental Bloodline Sorcerer of the Air Element change the element of a spell with force descriptor? If yes, could a mage armor turn into an Electric Mage Armor?
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

A156: Force is a type of energy so you could make electric magic missiles. However, the conversion works only with spells that deal energy damage, which mage armor doesn't.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Q157: Are there any restrictions regarding diseases affecting outsiders? Daemons are the only one who have special immunite against disease mentioned, while immunity or resistance against poison is very common, amd even elementals lack such a thing and they are immune against pretty much everything.
    Having an avoral sick of malaria seems a rather odd image to me.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ettin in the Playground

A 157

I don't see anything anywhere that would make outsiders immune to disease.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Q157: Are there any restrictions regarding diseases affecting outsiders? Daemons are the only one who have special immunite against disease mentioned, while immunity or resistance against poison is very common, amd even elementals lack such a thing and they are immune against pretty much everything.
    Having an avoral sick of malaria seems a rather odd image to me.
    A157

If Daemons have to specify they are immune to diseases, then it is in all likelyhood not a universal outsider trait. This is further enforced by the fact that disease immunity is not found in the outsider entry.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Q158: Regeneration says "A creature with this ability is difficult to kill. creatures with regeneration heal damage at a fixed rate, as with fast healing, but they cannot die as long as their regeneration is still functioning (although creatures with regeneration still fall unconscious when their hit points are below 0). Certain attack forms, typically fire and acid, cause a creature’s regeneration to stop functioning on the round following the attack. During this round, the creature does not heal any damage and can die normally."
    Does this mean that once I have a creature with regeneration in negative hit points, I have to deal a single point of acid or fire damage to kill it? It's still useful as it has fast healing, but weaker because it can be turned of by fire and acid damage.

And what does "On the round following the attack mean"? Does it mean the creature does not regain hit points at the beginning of its next turn? That appears the most logic way to do it.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 158 (maybe?)

A round generally means one round... so until the attacker's next turn. Effectively, the regeneration is suppressed for the creature's next turn after the attack.

You will need to deal at least one point of fire or acid damage to fully kill the creature, though keeping them unconscious via an ungodly number of negative HP will usually give you enough time to get such a source.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2011-12-13 at 03:48 PM.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Q159:

Do the bonuses to Stealth from Armor of Shadow and Cloak of Elvenkind stack?
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour is that moment when they have worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of the battle... victorius."- Vince Lombardi

"Hey, I don't make the rules, I just twist them to my purpose." -Celia (Order Of The Stick)

25. - Top - End - #445
    Dwarf in the Playground

A159No they both are competence bonuses which do not stack.
    Awesome Avvy courtesy of Beholder1995

26. - Top - End - #446
    Barbarian in the Playground

A151:

No.

You gain a small amount of grit, and the ability to perform a single 1st-level deed from the gunslinger class feature of the same name. At the start of the day, you gain 1 grit point, though throughout the day you can gain grit points up to a maximum of your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1). You can regain grit using the rules for the grit gunslinger class feature. You can spend this grit to perform the 1st-level deed you chose and any other deed you gain through feats or magic items.
    Each alternate class feature [from an archtype] replaces a specific class feature from its parent class. For example, the elemental fist class feature of the monk of the four winds replaces the stunning fist class feature of the monk.
    Since the Archtype's deeds replace the Gunslinger's class feature, you can't take a deed from an archtype(at that point, it's not longer the Gunslinger's class feature, it's the Mysterious Stranger/Musket Master/Gun Tank's class feature instead).

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q160 As far as I can tell, outsiders don't age. How about native outsiders like tieflings or aasimars? Since they're born and grow up, do they also grow old? Or do they stop aging once they mature?

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

A160: Actually, it's nowhere stated that outsider do not age. Nor is that stated about any creature that is not a standard PC race.
    However, in D&D, from which aasimar and others are directly copied, Races of Faerûn states the age categories of aasimar, tieflings, and genasi are identical to those of humans.
    Last edited by Yora; 2011-12-15 at 08:06 AM.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q160+ You're right, RAW doesn't mention anything about outsiders not aging as far as I can tell although the fluff in splatbooks uses the word immortal freely when referring to creatures such as devils or celestials, I just extrapolated from there.

Still, I thought I'd ask in case I've missed something. We intentionally don't use any 3.5 material, so it's gonna be up to the DM until Paizo publishes an actual answer.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post
    Q160+ You're right, RAW doesn't mention anything about outsiders not aging as far as I can tell although the fluff in splatbooks uses the word immortal freely when referring to creatures such as devils or celestials, I just extrapolated from there.

Still, I thought I'd ask in case I've missed something. We intentionally don't use any 3.5 material, so it's gonna be up to the DM until Paizo publishes an actual answer.
    Well, I don't believe there's an official RAW ruling for that, but the Campaign Setting books make several references to outsiders being immortal in the Golarion Setting. It's likely dependent on the campaign setting you're in.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand