New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Q161 Does a rider on a mount attract attacks of opportunity from opponents adjacent to the mount?
    Specifically, a small rider on a large mount.
    Current Character: Pathfinder Tiefling Sorcerer (Abyssal Sorcerer 5, Souleater 1)
    Previous Favorite Characters:
    D&D1e: Elven Mage 15/Thief ??
    D&D2e: Saurian Necromancer 12
    D&D3e: Warforged Juggernaut 5/ Artificer 5/ Acolyte of the Skin 4
    D&D4e: Drow Swarm(?) Druid 3
    OWoD: Daughter of Cacophony
    NWoD: Galatea Promethean
    DH: Hiveborn Assassin 3
    Rifts: Nanobot Swarm / Airborne Computer Virus

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Q162: Is this a typo in the SRD or am I missing something about CMD?

A hippogriff has Str 15, Dex 15, and is large size.
    The BAB is +3, so with +2 from Str and +1 from size CMB is +6
    But CMD is listed as 19. By adding +2 for Dex, shouldn't it be 18?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

A 162

The hippogriff has Dodge, which adds a +1 bonus to AC and CMD. The 19 is correct.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A161 I don't think that this is clearly defined in Pathfinder. As a general rule -- yes, you provoke attacks of opportunity when riding a mount as normal but there are two questions to which I think there's no answer in the written PF rules yet.

1) How does this scale up? If you're tiny and riding a huge mount, do medium-sized creatures still get to make AoOs against you? It's hard to write a rule that would fit every situation so this may have been intentionally left up to the GM's discretion.

2) Do you and your mount each provoke an AoO or does the attacker have to choose which one to attack? Skip gave an answer for this in Rules of the Game for 3.5 but there's nothing I can find in PF about this.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Halfling in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q163: Could I make a double valorous weapon (that is apply valorous to a weapon twice) that would give twice the bonus? Or will that item enhancement not stack?
    Last edited by fencepainter; 2011-12-16 at 09:20 PM.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A163 As far as I know, there is no valorous weapon enhancement in PF but I think what you're looking for is this.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons
    Weapons cannot possess the same special ability more than once.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ettin in the Playground

Q164
    Do masterwork (which removes the fragile quality) bronze items have no difference from masterwork steel (aside from what you can make out of them)?

Q165
    Am I correct that Bronze does not count as a "rare metal" for alchemical silver?
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2011-12-17 at 03:09 PM.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

A164: Masterwork bronze and masterwork steel weapons seem to be completely identical.
    Bronze adds the fragile trait, which the masterwork component explicitly removes.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

Q166: Does this work?

This is from the magic item creation rules:
    Note that all items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item's creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed). The DC to create a magic item increases by 5 for each prerequisite the caster does not meet. The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create potions, spell-trigger, or spell-completion items without meeting its prerequisites.
    Using items to provide spells not known to the caster is mentioned before the rule that you can increase the DC by 5 for every prerequsite not met. And if you would get the increase, you wouldn't need the item at all. So using an item to provide the neccessary spells is not "not meeting its prerequisites", or more plainly, it means the prerequisites are met.

So to create for example a wand of daylight, could I create a command word item that casts daylight and use it to fulfill all prerequisites to cast the wand without knowing the spell? This significantly prolongs the crafting time and the cost in materials (by about 50% in this case, if you make 4 wands), so it's not making the rule that you need to know a spell to create a spell-trigger item completely redundant.

Or am I missing something, that you can't use spells from an item to create spell-trigger items?

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A166 Yes, you can make a command word item without knowing the spell and then use that item to create a spell trigger item. It's gonna cost you more than buying the item normally though, unless you plan on crafting several of them or if they're not available on the market.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Q167: Can a Rogue take "Extra Rogue Talent" as a feat at 1st level, even though he gets his first Rogue Talent at 2nd level?

12. - Top - End - #462
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q168: Alice and Bob are standing 70ft away from each other, in an area of dim light, with no obstructions blocking their vision. Both have darkvision. Bob casts Darkness, centered on himself (let's say, on his hat). Can Alice See Bob? Can Bob see Alice?
    Last edited by CTrees; 2011-12-18 at 10:21 AM.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ettin in the Playground

A 167

No. The pre-req of the feat is "Rogue talent class feature." At first level, a rogue does not meet this pre-req.
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

A168: Alice can't see Bob normally, since her Darkvision only has a range of 60 ft. and Bob is Standing in Darkness 70 ft. away. However, she might still be able to see him if the reduced lighting is still bright enough to see, though with penalties for concealment.

The darkness spell does not create a kind of fog or something like that, but only reduces illumination in the affected area. It is not described as blocking light from entering the area, so apparently you can see outside of a darkness spell area just fine.
    Last edited by Yora; 2011-12-18 at 10:36 AM.

15. - Top - End - #465

Q169: Derp, wrong thread
    Last edited by Keegan__D; 2011-12-20 at 10:48 AM.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ettin in the Playground

A 169

I have a hunch you posted in this thread by accident, as (to the best of my knowledge, anyway) war hulk doesn't exist in Pathfinder.
    John Ling

17. - Top - End - #467

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Q164
    Do masterwork (which removes the fragile quality) bronze items have no difference from masterwork steel (aside from what you can make out of them)?

Q165
    Am I correct that Bronze does not count as a "rare metal" for alchemical silver?
    A 164: Bronze items have 9 hardness instead of iron's 10, but aside from that a masterwork bronze item is functionally identical to an iron one.

EDIT:
    A 165:
    Bronze is not a rare metal, so you can apply alchemical silver to it. This would further reduce it's hardness.
    Last edited by RndmNumGen; 2011-12-18 at 03:49 PM.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 170

What CR would A younger (-1) half-dragon(+2) Kobold (1/4) be?

I have it being 1/2 for 1 Level of NPC and 1 for one level of PC

Never mind I just saw that Half-dragon has a min CR of 3 so I guess both would be CR 2 because of younger being a -1
    Last edited by urbanwolf; 2011-12-19 at 08:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Q 171

If a PC starts with 7 INT, do they suffer the -2 penalty to their number of starting skill ranks? And for each level thereafter?
    Last edited by Reg06; 2011-12-19 at 07:53 PM.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

A171: Yes, but you always get at least 1 skill rank for each level.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A171+ You can also get 1 skill point from your favored class for a minimum of 2 per level if you needed to.

22. - Top - End - #472

A171++: And if you're a Human you get an extra skill point, for a possible 3 skill points per level. Lends some plausibility to the whole 'idiot savant' concept...
    Last edited by RndmNumGen; 2011-12-20 at 09:59 PM.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

Q172: Where is it stated that bonus skill ranks from race are added after the skill ranks per level have been set to a minimum of 1?

24. - Top - End - #474

Daemon

A172 It is not.

The number of ranks a character can have in a skill cannot exceed that characters level. The bonus to skills that you get from certain races is a misc. modifier which is added to you skill check.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ettin in the Playground

A 172 add'l

I think Yora's talking about, for example, the bonus skill point a human gets at each level. The previous answer by RndmNumGen said to add the human bonus point after the reduction from the Int penalty, and Yora is asking for a source for that. I think.
    John Ling

26. - Top - End - #476

A 172 Clarification

A human's bonus skill point is included in the initial calculation of the number of skill ranks.

Generating a Character

Step 4—Pick Skills and Select Feats: Determine the number of skill ranks possessed by your character, based on his class and Intelligence modifier (and any other bonuses, such as the bonus received by humans).
    Note that in this step of character generation, it is possible to have zero skill points. However, the entry for Intelligence provides the caveat that a character will get at least 1 skill point (even if the penalty would have otherwise left him with zero points).

Intelligence (Int)

You apply your character's Intelligence modifier to:

The number of skill points gained each level, though your character always gets at least 1 skill point per level.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q173
    If i'm standing in an obscuring mist, right at the edge of it but still inside, i do get concealment against a creature standing next to me(even if outside of the mist) if i understand the spell correctly.
    But do i have total concealment against anyone standing further than 5ft away?
    And does a creature outside of the mist have concealment against me?
    Last edited by Haron; 2011-12-21 at 06:53 AM.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A173

If you're at the edge of obscuring mist and a creature is standing outside the range of the mist, then both you and the creature have concealment against each other, regardless of the distance between the two of you because there is only 5 feet of mist in between. If you're standing 5 feet further inside the mist, then both you and the creature standing outside have total concealment against each other. When you're not sure, just consider how much mist is between the two points, 5 feet is concealment, 10 feet is total concealment, spaces without the mist have no effect on the calculations.

29. - Top - End - #479

Hmm... I guess I had the order wrong on how skill points were calculated. My bad.

30. - Top - End - #480

PaladinGuy

Q 174

The Empyreal knight paladin Archetype gains the ability to cast Summon Monster, albeit with some restrictions to available choices, as a spell-like ability. However, the description makes no reference to caster level. Would I be right to assume that, if nothing is written to the contrary, caster level and class level for spell-like abilities is the same?

Look everyone this image is a link!