New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

A237 Yes and yes on the first two questions. Spells, regardless of the source, SLAs and magic items register with detect magic. Supernatural abilities on the other hand are a different matter -- on the one hand, they are magical and have an effective caster level (equal to their HD) and detect magic does provide a formula for "nonspell effects", but on the other hand there's no explicit mention of supernatural abilities in the description. It's more of a yes than a no but ultimately there's no official consensus.

A238 You can use equivalent parameters every time but the "fine details" are usually very general (hair color, height and weight, skin color, etc.), so you might not look completely the same. You can never take a specific shape with polymorph, so that's a no.

A239 Even if it's usable at will, you have to use it every time it runs out (every CL minutes). Of course items generally don't involve any "casting" (scrolls exempt) so there's no actual verbal and somatic components even though there might be a command word or a gesture to activate it, and there may or may not be any special manifestations when the spell is applied (lights, sounds, etc.). Cast the same spell again always increases the duration however so technically you are maintaining it with a standard action (by using the item repeatedly).

2. - Top - End - #602
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Q240 I'm starting in my first PF game. I'll be playing an Oracle with the 'Haunted' curse. I get Mage Hand, and Ghost Sound as spells. Since they are 0 level, do they count as orisons, or, since they don't appear on the Cleric/Oracle list, are they considered arcane spells? And if they, as well as spells from my Mystery, which also aren't on the C/O list, are arcane, are they subject to ASF?
    “Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because we actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”- Marcus Cole

This has become my philosophy!

3. - Top - End - #603
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 240

they are divine. you do not cast arcane spells.

and yes, they are orisons and thus can be at-willed.

4. - Top - End - #604

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    A 240

they are divine. you do not cast arcane spells.

and yes, they are orisons and thus can be at-willed.
    Thank you!
    “Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because we actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”- Marcus Cole

This has become my philosophy!

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ettin in the Playground

Q241

Does Devil Blood (for Infernal Healing spell) have a cost anywhere, or is one of the things your component pouch can produce endlessly?

Normally I'd assume no cost from the effects vs. Cure Light Wounds (also 1st level spell), but the alternate option for the component is costly (Unholy Water).

Q242
    Simulacrum of a Summoner. How does it work? Does it get a duped Elidoon due to being a class feature or do you just make a gimped sorcerer? (This question is bizarre as the spell is on the Summoner list, you'd think they would have mentioned this there)

Q243
    Create Demiplane's area is "up to 10 10-ft. cubes/level"
    Does that mean I get ten 10 foot cubes for each caster level, or a 10 foot cube for each caster level up to 10? (I'm assuming 1 because you hit the max by the time you get the spell, but while Pazio isn't as bad at it as WotC, they aren't innocent being on something illegal during writing review AND testing.)
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2012-02-07 at 12:17 AM.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A241 It's a non-costly spell component. Also, unholy water has no listed price either as far as I know (it's not the same as holy water). The spell also says "1 dose" and there's no telling how much a dose is, it might not necessarily be one pint (the general amount made with Curse Water).

A242 Simulacrum makes a duplicate of a creature with half its hit dice (it does not have to be the caster!), so summoner having it on their spell list is irrelevant. If you do make a summoner simulacrum, it gets an eidolon appropriate for its level, yes. To be honest though, I never knew whether or not simulacrum allows for actual class levels or just racial HD, the wording is a bit vague. And it's not really worth making one in the first place.

A243 You get ten 10-foot cubes per level.

7. - Top - End - #607

Q244:

What happens if a character who already had permanent claws(either from race, or from some other source like Aspect of the Beast) grows a pair of claws with the Draconic bloodline?

8. - Top - End - #608
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

A244)
    if you have 2 pair of arms you have 4 claw-hands. if you only have 2 arms then your hands are claws and your feets but you cant use them since you dont have rake

9. - Top - End - #609

Q245:

I have a vague memory of reading that touch attacks ignore damage reduction.
    If this is true, does it rule that firearms ignore damage reduction (within the specified range)?
    Current Character: Pathfinder Tiefling Sorcerer (Abyssal Sorcerer 5, Souleater 1)
    Previous Favorite Characters:
    D&D1e: Elven Mage 15/Thief ??
    D&D2e: Saurian Necromancer 12
    D&D3e: Warforged Juggernaut 5/ Artificer 5/ Acolyte of the Skin 4
    D&D4e: Drow Swarm(?) Druid 3
    OWoD: Daughter of Cacophony
    NWoD: Galatea Promethean
    DH: Hiveborn Assassin 3
    Rifts: Nanobot Swarm / Airborne Computer Virus

10. - Top - End - #610
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Q246:

My 2/1 Bard/Pally with UMD found a Wiz spell book. This is useless to me correct (besides resale)? Would only be useful to a Wizard to transcribe spells to their spell book?

Thanks
    Hullabaloo the Halfling Bard

First time poster long time lurker above
    Last edited by Hullabaloo; 2012-02-08 at 09:57 AM.

11. - Top - End - #611

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Hullabaloo View Post
    Q246:

My 2/1 Bard/Pally with UMD found a Wiz spell book. This is useless to me correct (besides resale)? Would only be useful to a Wizard to transcribe spells to their spell book?
    A246: Correct. Presently there is no way for a character other than a wizard, magus, or alchemist to prepare or otherwise use the spells in a wizard's spellbook in Pathfinder.
    Last edited by Benly; 2012-02-08 at 10:38 AM.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A245 Damage reduction does not negate touch attacks. But the rules for firearms explicitly state that attacks don't count as touch attacks for the purposes of feats and abilities. I am not completely certain how the two interact but I would say DR still applies (you still need silver bullets for killing werewolves).

Q247 The rules say:
    All characters are proficient with unarmed strikes and any natural weapons possessed by their race.
    So if your race doesn't have natural weapons (say humans) and you gain a new natural attack (say claws) through whatever means, would that mean you're not proficient with it?

13. - Top - End - #613

Quote Originally Posted by holladiewaldfee View Post
    A244)
    if you have 2 pair of arms you have 4 claw-hands. if you only have 2 arms then your hands are claws and your feets but you cant use them since you dont have rake
    Do you have a source for that anywhere? I've never heard of that before, and would like to know where the ruling comes from.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ettin in the Playground

E6 and Gestalt are both not part of Pathfinder RAW.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    E6 and Gestalt are both not part of Pathfinder RAW.

Thanks for not answering my question.

I am credible! Proof below!

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    I came up with a line of reasoning and resulting numbers and they turned out to be the same as JoeYounger's.

16. - Top - End - #616

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Q:248 I'm playing an E6 game where we're able to start gestalting into another class once we hit level 6. I'm playing a barb2 oracle 4 and gestalting rage prophet 6 for the spells above 3rd level.

Rage prophet has the following ability. "Savage Seer: A rage prophet's class level stacks with barbarian levels for determining the effect of rage powers, and with oracle levels for determining the effect of oracle revelations and his oracle's curse. This does not grant additional abilities."

Does it just stack for the effects? Or can my barb 2 / Rage prophet 6 select rage powers with Extra Rage Power feats for an 8th level barbarian?

similarly, will my oracle side get access to the 10th level abilities of his mysteries?
    A248: Because both E6 rules and gestalt rules are house rules in the context of the Pathfinder RPG, either or both may render this answer incorrect at the table you play at. This answer is going to assume that it works the same, for these purposes, as a standard barbarian 2 / oracle 4 / rage prophet 6 character build.

The savage seer class ability, just as it says, only increases the effects of rage powers and revelations you possess, as well as your oracle's curse. It does not cause rage prophet levels to count as barbarian levels for purposes of meeting prerequisites for Extra Rage Power or anything else. It does not cause rage prophet levels to count as oracle levels for purposes of Extra Revelation or anything else. However, you will gain the advanced attributes of your oracle's curse ability, as this is specifically enhanced by savage seer. Likewise, revelations or rage powers which gain new properties as you gain class levels, such as the Metal mystery's dance of the blades, will continue to gain those properties if you have acquired those revelations or rage powers by whatever means.

Again, it is impossible to say if your gestalt or E6 house rules will change this answer. This is the answer as it applies to the Rage Prophet prestige class as written.
    Last edited by Benly; 2012-02-08 at 12:56 PM.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Thanks for not answering my question.
    You're welcome. This thread is for RAW questions and answers. Questions outside the scope of RAW do not belong in this thread. It's an ideal topic for a new thread.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

Q249
    Agile Manoeuvres uses your dexterity to your CMB in place of strength. Fair enough. Weapon FInesse adds your dexterity bonus on attack rolls with light weapons.
    Fair enough.
    But certain combat manoeuvres, like trip, allow you to make them in place of an attack roll and add any bonuses to attack to your attempt.
    Does that mean if you have both Agile Manoeuvres and Weapon Finesse, you get to add your dexterity twice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A249 Weapon finesse does not give you a bonus to attack rolls, it just replaces your Str modifier with your Dex modifier. If you want double your Dex modifier on trip attempts, use Agile Maneuvers and Fury's Fall.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q250 Dumb question maybe, but I've been skimming back and forth through PF Core and not finding it: on various references to class abilities that base something on "half your class level" (Paladin laying on hands per day, for example), do you round up or round down on the odd levels?

21. - Top - End - #621

A 250

Near the end of page 8 of the CRB it says:
    Unless otherwise noted, whenever you are must round a number, always round down.
    Last edited by Drelua; 2012-02-09 at 02:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronikoce View Post
    If I handed someone a candlestick and asked them to hold it for me you wouldn't say they were wielding the candlestick. If I handed someone a candlestick and asked them to club an intruder to death you would say they were wielding the candlestick. The act of using the held item for a purpose such as intruder clubbing changes the word that ought to be used.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drelua View Post
    A 250

Near the end of page 8 of the CRB it says:
    Gracias! Muchas gracias!

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ettin in the Playground

3 questions, all on one magic item

Q251

Does Mistmail have a duration, or does it last as long as the user doesn't enter strong winds, put on armor or fall under water?

Q252
    Does Mistmail, while mist form, have ACP or ACF?

Q253
    Does a Mistmail "wearer" have a miss chance themself?

24. - Top - End - #624

A 251
    Since it doesn't state a duration, it lasts for as long as you want it to.

A 252
    It's not entirely clear, but I'm fairly sure you aren't considered to be wearing the armour when it's in mist form, since it says it leaves it's solid form.

A253
    Yes, it provides you with 20% concealment, and I guess anyone else in your square if there is someone, say if you're grappling.

Spoilered for going somewhat off-topic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The one thing I'm not clear on is whether or not you still get the AC bonus. I would assume that you do from a mechanical stand-point, as +5 AC makes you 25% less likely to get hit, so the only use for it would be if you have an armour bonus from another source, such as Bracers of Armour. Otherwise, you're more likely to get hit with the armour in mist form. On the other hand, if you're not physically wearing the armour, how can it give you it's AC bonus
    If I handed someone a candlestick and asked them to hold it for me you wouldn't say they were wielding the candlestick. If I handed someone a candlestick and asked them to club an intruder to death you would say they were wielding the candlestick. The act of using the held item for a purpose such as intruder clubbing changes the word that ought to be used.

25. - Top - End - #625

Q 254

Is the NPC Lily Teskerten from the Rivers Run Red book in the Kingmaker AP stated out anywhere?
    Spoiler
    Show
    It suggests here as a potential leader but doesn't give any stats that I can see.
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drelua View Post
    A253
    Yes, it provides you with 20% concealment, and I guess anyone else in your square if there is someone, say if you're grappling.
    Q253 ammendmentI meant do attacks made by the wearer have a miss chance. Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2012-02-09 at 09:56 PM.

27. - Top - End - #627

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Q253 ammendmentI meant do attacks made by the wearer have a miss chance. Sorry for the confusion.
    A 253 cont.
    I can only really guess here, but I'm fairly sure it doesn't interfere with the wearer's attacks, if only because the item would be terrible otherwise. Again, this is only conjecture, but I don't think it would. I also don't think it's a very good item, but that has nothing to do with this thread, so I'll leave it at that.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q 255

Hello!

I'm having trouble with firearms!

On the firearms rules it says:
    Advanced Firearms: Advanced firearms are chamber-loaded. It is a move action to load a one-handed or two-handed advanced firearm to its full capacity.

But then, on the Rapid Reload Feat Descrition, it says:
    Benefit: The time required for you to reload your chosen type of weapon is reduced to a free action (for a hand or light crossbow), a move action (for heavy crossbow or onehanded firearm), or a standard action (two-handed firearm). Reloading a crossbow or firearm still provokes attacks of opportunity.

Emphasis mine.

So... What action is needed to reload a two-handed firearm WITH Rapid Reload?

I'm making an NPC gunslinger who is going to use a Rifle and I wanted to know how often is this guy ging to be able to fire.

If I am reading this correctly (and assume the text on Rapid Reload is for Early Firearms only), with Rapid Reload he will be able to make full attacks with it. So, with BAB 6 and rapid reload he can make +6/+6/+1 attacks. Am I right?

Thanks!
    Who watches the Watchmen?

Frontline Fighter? I barely know her!

29. - Top - End - #629
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Q256

When someone rolls to hit, and they roll equal to the enemy AC. Does it hit or miss?
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour is that moment when they have worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of the battle... victorius."- Vince Lombardi

"Hey, I don't make the rules, I just twist them to my purpose." -Celia (Order Of The Stick)

30. - Top - End - #630

A 256
    Core Rulebook, page 178, under 'Attack Roll':
    If your result equals or beats the target's Armor Class, you hit and deal damage.
    So yes, it does hit.