New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Q 337

How do banners work, both the Cavalier ability and the Flagbearer feat? The feat makes it clear that the banner must be held in one hand, limiting the user to 1-handed weapons that don't need reloading, while the Cavalier ability is fairly ambiguous. Must it also be held in the off-hand, limiting the Cavalier's available weapons, or can it be displayed in other ways, such as being attached to a spear, lance, worn on a backpack like a samurai, or worn as a cloak?
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A337 The banner can be carried in any manner (at GM's discretion) and works as long as it's clearly visible. Generally this means using it on a polearm or attaching it on a mount, but other methods may also be viable.

Edit: The numbering is kinda off again. We should start at 339 next probably (or just ignore it).
    Last edited by Keneth; 2012-03-29 at 04:37 PM.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ettin in the Playground

A 335 (please number your questions)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaito1337 View Post
    How do i make my preacher inquisitor really powerful. Also im black powder.
    As worded, this isn't a RAW question. "Really powerful" is subjective, dependent upon the reader's experiences and opinions. Either ask in a thread for the topic, or find some way to define in terms of the rules what "really powerful" means.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Q338: What does the Totem Warrior Barbarian archetype do? Looking at the SRD, it says that you're based entirely on your totem rage powers, but lists an assortment of other rage powers that might benefit you- is there actually a rules change, or it just a suggestion for a build?
    Last edited by Lord Tyger; 2012-04-01 at 12:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyger View Post
    Q338: What does the Totem Warrior Barbarian archetype do? Looking at the SRD, it says that you're based entirely on your totem rage powers, but lists an assortment of other rage powers that might benefit you- is there actually a rules change, or it just a suggestion for a build?
    A338 According to the PRD under rage powers, Totem Warriors can take multiple Totem powers which you are normally only allowed one. However, the archetype itself does not say it can do that, nor does it give up anything to gain that and when asked, the developers themselves said they did not know what it does.
    Awesome Avvy courtesy of Beholder1995

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ettin in the Playground

Q339

How does "Clerics are also proficient with the favored weapon of their deities" work for a pantheon based Cleric?

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ettin in the Playground

A 339

This answer is going to sound like a copout, but...

Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD
    As their powers are influenced by their faith, all clerics must focus their worship upon a divine source. While the vast majority of clerics revere a specific deity, a small number dedicate themselves to a divine concept worthy of devotion—such as battle, death, justice, or knowledge—free of a deific abstraction. (Work with your GM if you prefer this path to selecting a specific deity.)
    Pantheon worship isn't part of the RAW. By RAW, a cleric either worships a specific deity or a specific concept.
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Q340

What happens if insanity is cast on a creature and dominate person is subsequently cast on the creature or vice versa? Does the the dominate person override the insanity or can the dominator only control the thrall 25% of the time?

EDIT: Really? Anyone?
    Last edited by Demonic_Spoon; 2012-04-04 at 01:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    I figure that's why d&d gods do so little - they're busy taking psychotherapy sessions to get rid of all the voices they hear.
    May have a optimization addiction.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A340 Dominate person requires you to telepathically submit a command but the target is confused so the command may not get across to them. Since dominate is a completely mental type of control, I'd say that confusion always takes precedence.

10. - Top - End - #760

RangerGuy

Q341 What are the rules for wielding a greatsword made for an ogre or a giant? And are there feats to aid in that?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

11. - Top - End - #761

Daemon

A341 Wielding an oversized weapon increases the required "handedness" by one step (from light to one-handed or one-handed to two-handed), so it is normally impossible for a Medium character to wield a Large-sized two-handed weapon short of increasing her actual size. There is an optional racial feature for tieflings which potentially permits them to wield oversized weapons, but only if a specific result is rolled on a d100 table during character generation, rendering this an unreliable solution.
    Last edited by Benly; 2012-04-05 at 10:10 AM.

12. - Top - End - #762

Flumph

Q342 Is there a way for an Alchemist to become a Lich without regular caster levels ?

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

A342:No. By RAW, anyone seeking to become a lich must be able to cast spells, and an alchemist's extracts explicitly are not spells. So even if alchemists possess caster levels (the rules are contradictory here, there are sections saying they don't, and other implying that they do), they don't qualify for lichdom by RAW.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2012-04-06 at 01:37 AM.

14. - Top - End - #764

Q343: Can Undead even use potions/extracts? Their type says "Undead do not eat, breathe or sleep". Does that apply to drinking?

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

A343: The only limitation for potion use is that the user must be capable of swallowing it. Not needing to eat and drink doesn't preclude swallowing (some undead, like ghouls, do eat, whether they need to or not). Being incorporeal is specifically called out as preventing a creature from using a potion, and there are other corner cases (can a skeleton swallow?), but it's pretty clear that cadaverous undead can use potions.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2012-04-06 at 06:02 PM.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ettin in the Playground

A 343 additional

Skeletons can use potions.

Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD
    Any corporeal creature can imbibe a potion or use an oil.
    Skeletons are corporeal, therefore they can use potions (and oils, which is a way around things if there's a creature that can't swallow for some reason).
    John Ling

17. - Top - End - #767
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Q 344

Sorry if this has been asked in some form or another... but I was looking for a clarification on DR...

If a creature has DR 15/bludgeoning and magic, does that mean that an attack must be BOTH bludgeoning and magic to penetrate the DR, or just one or the other?

Thanks!!!

18. - Top - End - #768

A344:

It needs to be both. If it said "Bludgeoning or Magic" it could be either(see Devils & Demons for example) but this specifies "and".

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ettin in the Playground

Q345: What is "an effect related to race" (for Elf Blood/Orc blood)? Can a Half-Elf take Human alternate Favored Class Alternatives? Qualify for Elf only feats?

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A345 An effect that calls out to a specific racial type (and subtype). For instance a ranger with favored enemy: humanoid (human) can just as easily affect a half-elf. But no, you can't take the favored class alternatives from the related races, those are tied to the specific race and while count as one of those races for the purposes of effects, you are not that race. I believe the same goes for feats, since it's not an effect, but a prerequisite.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Pixie in the Playground

Q346 This should be a very simple question; I'm reading through Treantmonk's guides, in his Ranger guide he mentions a 'Mighty Composite Longbow'. The SRD has no information on the 'Mighty' part of this weapon. So is there a difference between a Mighty Composite Longbow and a Composite Longbow, if so what are the differences.

Thank You,
    Mustache

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A346 It's a remnant from 3.5, a mighty composite longbow is just a composite longbow with a strength rating of more than +0.

Q347 Can multiple swarms occupy the same space? It seems unlikely but if they can, does the swarm damage increase proportionately?

Q348 Swarms deal damage at the end of their move. Does that mean they can deal damage twice in a round by using their standard action as a move action?
    Last edited by Keneth; 2012-04-09 at 10:00 AM.

23. - Top - End - #773

Planetar

Q349 If a Barbarian has both a lucerne hammer and horns from lesser fiend totem, does he threaten both adjacent and reach? Are his horns considered a secondary attack while he is wielding the lucerne hammer but not attacking with it?

24. - Top - End - #774

A349: Yes, he threatens reach with the hammer and adjacent with the horns. The horns only count as a secondary attack when making a full attack with a manufactured weapon, otherwise they are primary.

Q350: Can a Cavalier gain a Heavy Horse as his mount?

25. - Top - End - #775
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 351 Is there any way to change the Oracle's casting stat from Charisma to Intelligence?

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

Q352 When crafting a wondrous item using the Master Craftsman feat (such as a wings of flying) is knowledge of the "required" spell still necessary?
    The Swallowfield Children - Stredexon Intwisca

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

A352: No. You can satisfy that requirement with a scroll or other magic item, or with the help of a friendly/well compensated spell caster. Alternatively, you can tack an extra +5 to the crafting DC to ignore a prerequisite completely (adding another +5 for each one ignored), unless you're crafting a potion, spell trigger, or spell completion item, which are specifically excluded from this method.

28. - Top - End - #778

Q 353 Is there any way to cast a standard action spell from a wand as a swift action? If it matters, I'm looking at the level 2 word spell Accelerate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronikoce View Post
    If I handed someone a candlestick and asked them to hold it for me you wouldn't say they were wielding the candlestick. If I handed someone a candlestick and asked them to club an intruder to death you would say they were wielding the candlestick. The act of using the held item for a purpose such as intruder clubbing changes the word that ought to be used.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 354 This is from the humans section "Skilled: Humans gain an additional skill rank at first level and one additional rank whenever they gain a level."

So my question is, do they get an extra skill point like what the int mod does or do they get a rank two in one skill or do they get a rank 2 in one skill because I remember that the max skill rank depends on your level so a lvl one can only get one rank, anyway what do I do?
    My Nexus characters that I consider important.
    Serph Oaruma
    Red Element

30. - Top - End - #780

Daemon

A354 It's a skill point like the ones they get from their class or Intelligence bonus. The extra skill point does not change their maximum ranks at any level.