New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Q 355 What is the action economy on the Roof Runner's Tumbling Descent? Is it considered 'falling', and does falling count as a move, standard, swift, or free action?

2. - Top - End - #782
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q356 I'm GMing a game with 9th level paladins, the RAW for their Aura of Resolve is,
    "At 8th level, a paladin is immune to charm spells and spell-like abilities."
    However, the Captivating Song of a harpy is a supernatural charm effect. Do they get any immunities or bonuses to resist it?
    Last edited by Rift_Wolf; 2012-04-15 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Wrong q number
    I admit full culpability for Phyrnglsnyx

3. - Top - End - #783

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post

Q347 Can multiple swarms occupy the same space? It seems unlikely but if they can, does the swarm damage increase proportionately?

Q348 Swarms deal damage at the end of their move. Does that mean they can deal damage twice in a round by using their standard action as a move action?
    A347 Swarms can occupy the same space as another, and both would damage to any creature within, but both swarms would also deal damage to each other.

A348The rules as written don't mention if intelligent swarms (Like hellwasps) can take two moves to attack twice. I think it's assumed animal swarms take the most direct movement towards an enemy rather than attacking two seperately.

4. - Top - End - #784

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by masterjoda99 View Post
    Q 351 Is there any way to change the Oracle's casting stat from Charisma to Intelligence?
    A 351: According to the PRD, no. There's no feat or archetype that swaps an oracles casting stat.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rift_Wolf View Post
    Q356 I'm GMing a game with 9th level paladins, the RAW for their Aura of Resolve is,
    "At 8th level, a paladin is immune to charm spells and spell-like abilities."
    However, the Captivating Song of a harpy is a supernatural charm effect. Do they get any immunities or bonuses to resist it?
    A356 "Supernatural Abilities (Su): Supernatural abilities are magical but not spell-like. Supernatural abilities are not subject to spell resistance....." No, they are not SLAs period by RAW, and if they were they would bypass resistances.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Q357 Are there any Prestige Classes beyond those in the Core Rulebook and Advanced Player's Guide? I'm looking to find some to suggest to my players, but our Barbarian looks SOL.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ettin in the Playground

A357

Yes. Check the SRD. Each one has a source listed if you need the physical book.

Pazio also has a prc focused book coming in a few months (don't recall when).

Q358
    Does a Cracked Orange Prism's new spell need to be on the wearer's list to be gained?
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2012-04-15 at 08:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    A357
    Q358
    Does a Cracked Orange Prism's new spell need to be on the wearer's list to be gained?
    A358 No, it is all dependent upon the spell it was created with. Ioun stones are Use Activated items which simply function, where wands are Spell Trigger items which require "a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know".

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ogre in the Playground

Q359 - In the Pathfinder SRD, the Chirurgeon's "Infused Curatives" feature says this:

When a chirurgeon prepares his extracts, he may choose to render any or all of his infused curatives inert and prepare other extracts to replace them (unlike infusions, which continue to occupy the alchemist’s daily extract slots until consumed or used).
    ...I would presume this is supposed to be a copy of the Cleric's power to spontaneously cast Cure spells by replacing a prepared spell, but the wording's really confusing due to the alchemist-specific jargon. Is this what it means, or am I totally off here?

10. - Top - End - #790
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

A359 Normally, when an infused extract is made via the Infusion discovery, it continues to occupy a prepared-extract slot until consumed, meaning that if it is lost or stolen the alchemist is out a slot until it is recovered, broken, or drunk. (For example, an alchemist who can prepare four first-level extracts per day who makes a first-level infusion is considered to already have that infusion "prepared" if it is still around the next day and only gets to prepare three more.)
    The text you have quoted from Infused Curatives allows an option for the alchemist to recover the preparation slot without needing to wait for the item to be consumed. It is not really analogous to spontaneous curing.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q360 Can a singing bard maintain his performance if he decides to cast a spell with a verbal component in the same round?

12. - Top - End - #792

Q361
    The Antipaladin's Aura of Cowardice removes immunity to fear, but specifies nothing about mind-affecting effects. Undead aren't actually immune to fear - they're immune to mind-affecting effects, and it just happens that all-or-nearly-all ways to apply fear either also have the [mind-affecting] descriptor, or are actually "mind-affecting fear effects" (as in Frightful Presence). The question is, given that fear auras are mind-affecting fear effects (not just fear effects), and the specificity of both Undead Traits and Aura of Cowardice, would, say, a mature adult black dragon with three levels of Antipaladin, adjacent to some wights be able to affect them with its frightful presence?

13. - Top - End - #793

SolithKnightGuy

Q360 Can a singing bard maintain his performance if he decides to cast a spell with a verbal component in the same round?
    A360 Yes. It's assumed they work the verbal components into their performance.

Q362 Does darkvision negate shadow based concealment such as the Shadow Mastiffs Shadow Blend?

14. - Top - End - #794

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Q361
    The Antipaladin's Aura of Cowardice removes immunity to fear, but specifies nothing about mind-affecting effects. Undead aren't actually immune to fear - they're immune to mind-affecting effects, and it just happens that all-or-nearly-all ways to apply fear either also have the [mind-affecting] descriptor, or are actually "mind-affecting fear effects" (as in Frightful Presence). The question is, given that fear auras are mind-affecting fear effects (not just fear effects), and the specificity of both Undead Traits and Aura of Cowardice, would, say, a mature adult black dragon with three levels of Antipaladin, adjacent to some wights be able to affect them with its frightful presence?
    A361 The Aura of cowardice removes immunity to fear, not immunity to mind-affecting effects. Undead are therefore still immune to a fear effect if it's also mind-affecting (Which most of them are)

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Rift_Wolf View Post
    A360 Yes. It's assumed they work the verbal components into their performance.
    360+ Does that mean an acting or instrument-using bard can attack by working his strikes into the performance?

16. - Top - End - #796
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q362 I've read about CMB and CMD but when and where do i use it. Like what situation needs for me to use CMB and CMD?
    My Nexus characters that I consider important.
    Serph Oaruma
    Red Element

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ettin in the Playground

360+

Could you provide a citation for that ruling, please, rift wolf?

A 362

CMB and CMD are Pathfinder's answer to simplifying special attacks -- called combat maneuvers in Pathfinder -- such as trip, disarm, and grapple.

CMB is the number you use whenever you're initiating one of those special attacks. You roll a d20 and add your CMB; if you meet or exceed the target's CMD, your maneuver is successful.

CMD is your defense - sort of like armor class - against combat maneuvers initiated by others. If, for example, the dragon wishes to grapple you, it must roll a CMB check, and its total must meet or exceed your CMD.

You can find the details of the rules here.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q363
    Is there a warforged-variant, which doesn´t have a CHA-penalty?

thanks in advance
    Trugbild

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ettin in the Playground

A 363

Warforged don't exist in Pathfinder. Were you maybe looking for the 3.5 Q&A thread?
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

20. - Top - End - #800

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    360+

Could you provide a citation for that ruling, please, rift wolf?
    I may have to retract my previous answer; while it says that maintaining a performance is a free action, it doesn't explicitly say that it doesn't interfere with taking a standard action such as casting a spell. The only place it mentions maintaining a performance and casting a spell is in the APG for the Sandman's ability Stealspell;

"The target loses the prepared spell or spell known and the sandman adds it to his list of spells known for as long as the performance continues, after which it reverts to the original recipient. While stolen, the bard can cast the spell using his available spell slots. This use does not consume the stolen spell. If the bard steals another spell while a spell is stolen, the previous spell immediately reverts to its original owner."

This implies that spellcasting and performing can occur in the same round, as to use a stolen spell you have to also be using bardic performance, also in APG the Savage Skald's ability Inspiring Blow,

"When he confirms a critical hit, he can start this performance as an immediate action (ending any other performances)"

This implies that fighting and performing could occur in the same round.

But as for regular usage of bardic performance it might be the maintaining as a free action while casting spells, fighting, etc. has been something house-ruled into previous games and I took for granted. As for RAW, it seems to be a bit vague; there's nothing I can see that explicitly refutes or confirms my previous answer.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Q364
    With regards to the Shamanistic Druids (specifically Saurian in this case), Wild Shape says it treats your level as -2 for non-lizards and +2 for lizards/dinos. What does this apply to? Duration of Wild Shape? Number of Wild Shapes/day? Beast Shape spell level? All of the above? My druid might be hitting level 6 if he doesn't opt to cross-class, so I want to be able to anticipate what might come up!

22. - Top - End - #802

Daemon

A364 Since it does not specify a particular aspect of Wild Shape, as written all aspects of the Wild Shape ability function at the modified level, including uses per day, duration, creature size, and beast shape level.

23. - Top - End - #803

Q265: Can an attack that deals nonlethal damage inflict Bleed damage and, if so, would the Bleed damage also be nonlethal?

24. - Top - End - #804

Q366: Looking through my copy of the Core Rulebook, I have a question regarding the duration of the spell Shocking Grasp. It is listed as "Instantaneous" which allows for 'long lasting consequences' - I can't seem to find anything which would limit the spell to one's next touch attack, and only that touch attack. Does this spell, unintentionally, give Sorcerers/Wizards an elemental at will touch attack?
    No levelled malice
    Infects one comma in the course I hold;
    But flies an eagle flight, bold, and forth on,
    Leaving no track behind.

Andrew Eldritch Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
    Psionic Tricks Handbook (WIP!)

Brainstorming thread for a Basic FAQ (WIP!)

Oh, and you can just call me KA.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A365 I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as "nonlethal bleeding". Bleeding deals untyped lethal damage, in case of nonlethal attacks, this would probably be the result of internal bleeding or the like.

A366 Unless noted otherwise touch spells discharge after one attack although you can hold the charge indefinitely and attack with it at your own convenience as long you don't cast any spells in the meantime.

26. - Top - End - #806

A366 Unless noted otherwise touch spells discharge after one attack although you can hold the charge indefinitely and attack with it at your own convenience as long you don't cast any spells in the meantime.
    Could I get the applicable rules text on that - I can't seem to find it.
    No levelled malice
    Leaving no track behind.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Kalaska'Agathas View Post
    Could I get the applicable rules text on that - I can't seem to find it.
    Not sure that here's a specific ruling here, it's more like what it doesn't say. If the spell can be used on more than one target or has more than one charge, it is noted in its description, otherwise it's an instantaneous effect delivered with a touch except that you can hold the charge for a while. Take fireball for instance, it's an instantaneous effect, it comes and goes with the casting, and the spell doesn't have to point out that it doesn't do damage on subsequent rounds.

28. - Top - End - #808

Not sure that here's a specific ruling here, it's more like what it doesn't say. If the spell can be used on more than one target or has more than one charge, it is noted in its description, otherwise it's an instantaneous effect delivered with a touch except that you can hold the charge for a while. Take fireball for instance, it's an instantaneous effect, it comes and goes with the casting, and the spell doesn't have to point out that it doesn't do damage on subsequent rounds.
    Fair enough, thanks!
    No levelled malice
    Leaving no track behind.

29. - Top - End - #809

Q367: Can a Horizon Walker choose his effective favored enemy through Terrain Dominance as his favored enemy type for the feat Favored Defense? (Sources; Horizon Walker (Core), Favored Defense (Advanced Player's Guide). Asking because I found a way to get Favored Terrain X +20 by the time Terrain Dominance kicks in. Would be nice to have +20 Atk, Dmg, Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival; and +10 CMD and Dodge AC vs foes from Terrain X.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ettin in the Playground

A 366 additional

It is, sort of, in the rules. But, like Keneth said, you have to be willing to read what it doesn't say.

Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD, Magic chapter, "Range" definition
    Touch: You must touch a creature or object to affect it. A touch spell that deals damage can score a critical hit just as a weapon can. A touch spell threatens a critical hit on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a successful critical hit. Some touch spells allow you to touch multiple targets. You can touch up to 6 willing targets as part of the casting, but all targets of the spell must be touched in the same round that you finish casting the spell. If the spell allows you to touch targets over multiple rounds, touching 6 creatures is a full-round action.
    (Emphasis mine)

So, some touch spells allow multiple targets, which (when you read what's not there) says that most touch spells allow a single target. Nothing in shocking grasp allows for multiple targets, so it defaults to single target.

Hope that helps.
    John Ling