New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

A387: Percieving the bard's performance does not mean 'understanding' the words or music used. Also, the summoned creature and the animal companions are both allies of the bard. So they quailify for the bonuses from Inspire Courage. Your DM may be confusing Inspire Courage's requirements with that of other Bardic abilites, such as Suggestion which has the tag 'language-dependant'. Since Inspire Courage is not a language-dependant ability, the animal companion and/or summoned creature do not need to share a language with the bard to gain the benifits of Inspire Courage.
    Last edited by Volos; 2012-05-03 at 09:55 AM.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Pixie in the Playground

Q388.
    For a wizard archetype spellslinger and magus archetype myrmidarch, if the spellslinger is using two guns can a ranged spellstrike be made through the primary or secondary weapon?

Q389.
    For the same character as before, how would spell combat work in that scenario being as a full round action can additional ranged attacks be made?

Q390.
    Concerning Myrmidarch and magus by themselves, do both instances of fighter training (myrmidarch's at 7 and magus class at 10) stack?

Q391.
    Can a Wizard with an extremely high Intelligence score cast spells that are higher level than he can normally cast with his spells per day from the wizard class? (A level 4 Wizard with 20 Intelligence casting a 5th level spell)

Sorry if these questions have been asked previously.... Friends and I new to D&D and were wondering about the mechanics behind how multiclassing would work
    Last edited by Erroangelos; 2012-05-03 at 05:22 PM.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Q387Followup
    Quote Originally Posted by Volos View Post
    A387: Percieving the bard's performance does not mean 'understanding' the words or music used. Also, the summoned creature and the animal companions are both allies of the bard. So they quailify for the bonuses from Inspire Courage. Your DM may be confusing Inspire Courage's requirements with that of other Bardic abilites, such as Suggestion which has the tag 'language-dependant'. Since Inspire Courage is not a language-dependant ability, the animal companion and/or summoned creature do not need to share a language with the bard to gain the benifits of Inspire Courage.
    I was looking into this, and came across this, in the general description of bardic performances.

"If a bardic performance has audible components, the targets must be able to hear the bard for the performance to have any effect, and such performances are language dependent."

Since the bard is Performance (oratory) (mainly to get around having to pull out a drum in the middle of battle and drop his bow), all of his bardic performances are language dependent? The above seems that if there is an audible component (even if it was a drum) its language dependent per RAW?

Off RAW, I think the DM would be willing to give drumming to allies, but an instrument would need to be drawn to start it.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    Q 383

If I'm mounted, and I want my mount to do more than move up to its speed, does it use its own actions, or mine?
    Quoted because no one gave me an answer. :-P

5. - Top - End - #845
    Bugbear in the Playground

A388: Either. Spellstrike allows the Magus to direct the spell through any weapon he is wielding. Ranged Spellstrike changes it to a ranged attack. It says 'any weapon he is wielding', so primary or secondary doesn't matter. Though it still only works with Magus touch spells.

A389: Spell Combat wouldn't work. The Magus doesn't have a hand free, so therefor doesn't quailify for Spell Combat.

A390: You take the better of the two values, they do not stack. For example, a Magus (Myrmidarch) 10 / Fighter 5 would have two different values. As a Myrmidarch he would be a 7th level fighter (his Magus level -3), but as a Magus he would be a 10th level fighter (1/2 his Magus level plus his levels in Fighter). So he would count as a 10th level fighter for the Fighter Training class ability.

A391: No. You cannot cast spells of a higher level than granted by your class and level. You do not gain your bonus spells until you are able to cast those spells normally.

Closing: No worries, more than happy to help. Hint though, it's called 'Pathfinder'.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

Q392
    What happens if you have multiple Natural Attacks of the same type? The specific example I am thinking of is if a Half Orc takes the Toothy Alternate Racial Feature AND Razortusk, gaining two bite attack, but they only have one head. Or if they get claws from one source, say as a rage power, as well as another source, like an alchemist mutagen.
    Do they stack?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

7. - Top - End - #847

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Q392
    What happens if you have multiple Natural Attacks of the same type? The specific example I am thinking of is if a Half Orc takes the Toothy Alternate Racial Feature AND Razortusk, gaining two bite attack, but they only have one head. Or if they get claws from one source, say as a rage power, as well as another source, like an alchemist mutagen.
    Do they stack?
    A392:When I was looking into this a while back, it looked like you technically have both, but you can only use one at a time - essentially, you just use whichever one has the highest damage. So no, they don't stack.

Unless you get a second head, in which case go for it.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RndmNumGen View Post
    A392:When I was looking into this a while back, it looked like you technically have both, but you can only use one at a time - essentially, you just use whichever one has the highest damage. So no, they don't stack.

Unless you get a second head, in which case go for it.
    Q392b Can I get a source on this?
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-05-04 at 07:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

9. - Top - End - #849

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Q392b Can I get a source on this?
    A392b
    Not sure if it has ever been specifically addressed, but the rules for natural weapons do mention this:
    Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD
    Creatures with natural attacks and attacks made with weapons can use both as part of a full attack action (although often a creature must forgo one natural attack for each weapon clutched in that limb, be it a claw, tentacle, or slam). Such creatures attack with their weapons normally but treat all of their available natural attacks as secondary attacks during that attack, regardless of the attack’s original type.
    Which quite clearly puts that any limb can only give a single attack. So even if you somehow end up with 2 natural weapons on any given limb, it can still only use one of them at a time.

If I'm not mistaken, the same rule is also present with Eidolons, which can have something like a claw and a slam attack on the same pair of arms.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ettin in the Playground

Q393
    How exactly does Toilcrafter work?

a:You can take CMA&A and use that to make +1 stuff
    b:You can make +1 stuff and take CMA&A and use it to make anything.

Q394
    Also on badly worded traits Lover of the Law. What does "directed to act against the law" mean? Against the law for you (and in a world with proven mind control, that could very well be nothing)? A crime for the controller to order you to do that (mind control likely being a crime in itself)? A crime for you if you weren't mind controlled?
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2012-05-06 at 11:46 PM.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A393 It's option (a). You can take CMA&A when you have 5 ranks in your chosen skill and use it to craft non-upgradeable +1 equipment (but only one group — weapons or armor — depending on the chosen skill since you need to use the skill to create the item). To create (almost) anything without being a spellcaster, you need the Master Craftsman feat (for the appropriate skill).

A394 Any local (or global if there are any) law that your character is aware of. For instance if it's against the law to steal and your character knows that (or believes it), you get to make a second save at +2 when pushed to do so by a charm/compulsion effect.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks

Q395
    Barbazu (and a handful of other outsiders) know "Common". Does this mean Taldane or Tien? Normally the creature's origin is used as far as I can tell, but being extraplanar that doesn't work.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A395 Well that's easy, asian outsiders speak Tien, western outsiders speak Taldane. More seriously though, Taldane generally takes precedence but a GM may decide that they speak both just for simplicity's sake or use whichever depending on the campaign setting.

14. - Top - End - #854

This is a question pertaining to natural attacks mixed with weapons. for pathfinder.

Q396
    If I have a longsword in one hand and a claw on the other, the claw becomes a secondary attack at a -5 to hit, though multiattack can drop that to a -2.

Does the strength damage also get dropped to a secondary attack status? Would I lose half the damage I would normally do for using a sword?
    Last edited by Arillius; 2012-05-10 at 08:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A396 You need to have at least 3 natural attacks in order to take multiattack. That said, when used as secondary attacks, all natural weapons only add half your strength modifier to damage. This has no effect on the sword however (deals full strength damage). Also, unless the sword's got some pretty nifty enchantments on it, it's generally much better to attack with the three natural attacks at full bonus, at least until high levels where you get 3 or more iterative attacks.

16. - Top - End - #856

Thanks. It's actually as much for the style of the character as anything else.

Q397

This is more of an opinion question. Same topic. Since my strength, at low levels, won't be anything to brag about (18) I'm not really losing that much in the way of damage. At level 3 I'll have 3 natural attacks with +2 damage at a -2 to hit (not counting base attack and str) and a longsword (possibly magic since I don't need much magic items but possibly mw) with a +4 to damage and a +1 to hit (on top of the norm) The 1d8 averages to 5 and the +4 damage means I'll deal, on average, 9 extra points in trade for the -6 I lose with the three attacks.

Now the question, is that math right? Even if not, do you think for stories sake going with a longsword anyway would be an okay route or would it cripple the character?
    Last edited by Arillius; 2012-05-10 at 10:47 AM.

17. - Top - End - #857

Quote Originally Posted by Arillius View Post
    Thanks. It's actually as much for the style of the character as anything else.

Q397

This is more of an opinion question. Same topic. Since my strength, at low levels, won't be anything to brag about (18) I'm not really losing that much in the way of damage. At level 3 I'll have 3 natural attacks with +2 damage at a -2 to hit (not counting base attack and str) and a longsword (possibly magic since I don't need much magic items but possibly mw) with a +4 to damage and a +1 to hit (on top of the norm) The 1d8 averages to 5 and the +4 damage means I'll deal, on average, 9 extra points in trade for the -6 I lose with the three attacks.

Now the question, is that math right? Even if not, do you think for stories sake going with a longsword anyway would be an okay route or would it cripple the character?
    A397
    Math's a bit off.

First, the natural attacks all have dies, so the minimum damage for them will be 15 (primary) or 9 (secondary). Second, I'll assume your natural attacks are two claws and a bite, which is the most common set, meaning that you have to let go of one claw attack to use your sword.

So, looking at just the minimum values (since average ones will depend on the dies), we have:

3 natural attacks = (1+4) + (1+4) + (1+4) = 15 damage

1 iterative + 2 naturals = (1+4) + (1+2) + (1+2) = 11 damage

Also, keep in mind that 3 is the magical minimum number in which Amulet of Mighty Fists is actually "cheaper", as in, cheaper than keeping 3 weapons updated.

18. - Top - End - #858

Both of the claws are on the feet, so it still means 3 natural attacks. It's a level one character now, but yeah that's a wish list item to be sure. The other attack is actually a slam attack because it fits the character a bit more. Not to mention your doing minimum. In the end, I'd come out even for the minimum because by the time I get the longsword I'll be doing 2d6 with my slam instead of 1d8. The average is also higher thanks to the d8 from the longsword.

1d8+4
    2d6+2
    1d4+2
    1d4+2

19. - Top - End - #859

Q 398 What is the base damage of a shrunken and where is it in the pathfinder srd?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    The Underlord, you are clearly awesome.
    Current avatar by TinyMushroom
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam profile: Triginomicon
    Smite IGN:JoJoMCFroYo

20. - Top - End - #860
    Dwarf in the Playground

A398
    Base damage for a shuriken used by a medium creature is 1d2, according to my copy of the core rulebook. Can't seem to find it anywhere on the SRD, oddly...

Q399

can sneak attack be applied to a magus' spell combat spell?
    what about to spell strike applied through a weapon's touch attack?
    Last edited by Rickshaw; 2012-05-11 at 01:04 AM.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A399 Yes and yes. As long as you meet the prerequisites for a sneak attack, you can apply it to any attack that deals damage. Though in the case of a spellstrike it's not entirely clear what type of damage it should be. I'd say half of the damage is the same type as the weapon, and the other half the same type as the spell (assuming the spell deals damage).

22. - Top - End - #862
    Dwarf in the Playground

A399...extended maybe?
    I thought spellstrike dealt both weapon damage and spell damage

23. - Top - End - #863
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A399+ Yes, but sneak attack is only applied once and deals the same type of damage as the attack. Since the attack deals normal weapon damage and potentially any spell damage, what type of damage should the sneak attack do? If the spell deals no damage, then sneak attack deals the same type of damage as the weapon, but there's no rules for the case when there's two damage types. Half and half is the easiest solution unless you want to waste time and make the damage proportional to each damage type. But anyway, that's not really a RAW discussion anymore.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ettin in the Playground

A 398

I see shuriken on the official SRD -- under exotic thrown weapons.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

25. - Top - End - #865

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    A 398

I see shuriken on the official SRD -- under exotic thrown weapons.
    Exotic thrown weapons doesn't seem to be a category as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by The Underlord; 2012-05-11 at 04:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    The Underlord, you are clearly awesome.
    Current avatar by TinyMushroom
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam profile: Triginomicon
    Smite IGN:JoJoMCFroYo

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ettin in the Playground

John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

27. - Top - End - #867

Q400: Does a bonus to weapon damage rolls(such as an Inquisitor's Judgement) also apply to weapon enhancement(such as Flaming)?
    Last edited by RndmNumGen; 2012-05-13 at 12:50 AM.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A400 No, weapon properties go over and above normal weapon damage, so they are not influenced by bonuses that apply to the actual weapon damage and are not multiplied on a critical hit.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 401: With the critical hit/fumble decks, when something says double damage, is that actually double the total of the die roll for your critical or is it just rolling another Die. Say your damage is 1d6, you confirm a crit, and the weapon is x2, so you roll another 1d6, and flip one card, and the result states Double damage, do you:

1d6 + 1d6 =A then multiply A by 2? or just go 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d6.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A401 Neither, critical hit deck overrides normal critical hit rules. When you take a card from the deck and it says normal/double/triple damage, then that's what your critical hit does, your weapon's multiplier is irrelevant (though there are supplementary rules to account for higher multipliers — read the instruction cards). Therefore if your weapon is 1d6, x2 and the card says double damage, you roll 1d6 + 1d6. That's it. It may seem a bit weak at first, especially when you get normal damage, but some of the extra effects are really powerful (high crit range weapons can really be fun here), and it gets especially nasty once the GM starts using the cards.

Since there's more than one way to use the cards, the whole group should discuss the rules beforehand to make sure everyone agrees with them. It's no fun if the scythe-wielding fighter is forced to use a crit card when he just wants to deal massive damage, so you'll want to avoid those kinds of arguments.