New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    A17a: I guess you are refering to the Improved Called Shot feat. Normally, making a called shot is a Full-Round-Action. If you have the Improved Called Shot feat, you can also make called shots as regular attacks during Standard Attack and Full Attack actions.
    A17 specification -

Minor note, but Improved Called Shot only lets you trade in a single attack during a full attack for a called shot. Greater Called Shot allows you to replace any of your attacks in a round with a called shot.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q20

I have a GM who insists it is not possible to ready an action outside of combat because it is a "special initiative action" while I think it can be done at any time, just as you can cast a spell at any time and you can draw a weapon at any time. So the question is, Can you ready an action when not in combat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

A20: If you want to ready yourself for something, it would be my personal oppinion that you already are in an encounter, even if it's a noncombat encounter or neither you nor your enemies have yet directly spotted each other.

If an ally climbs a wall and you ready an action to cast feather fall, this is a noncombat encounter.
    If your allies are about to kick open a door and you ready an action to shot your crossbow at anyone you can see beyond the doorway, this is an encounter situation. If there is actually someone in the room or not, is unimportant.

However, this is to my knowledge never explicitly written down anywhere.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

A20 (explained): See pages 397 on encounters and 203 for ready action in the core rule book.

Readying an action tends to rely on by RAW initiative. Depending on the style of your DM, encounters may or may not all use initiative. An encounter is defined in the book as anything that requires the group to solve an issue or over come an obstacle (be it monsters or disarming a trap).

By RAW standards your DM is correct, because technically speaking outside of initiative actions can take place simultaneously. This is more of a function of actually gaming and playing your character. Outside of Initiative if you want to "ready an action" just wait until an action occurs that you want to preemptively act upon and say so. Unless of course your DM does turn order for out of combat/encounter playing, in which case s/he should allow for the readying of an action.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Q21: Planetouched like Sylphs gain a bonus to caster level with elemental domain spells. Though RAW speaks only of clerics, has there been a statement that a similar thing applies to oracles with elemental mysteries?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Q21: Planetouched like Sylphs gain a bonus to caster level with elemental domain spells. Though RAW speaks only of clerics, has there been a statement that a similar thing applies to oracles with elemental mysteries?
    A21:
    I'm not sure where you're reading this. The Sylph gains no such bonuses according to the Beastiary 2 (page 258). Further the Sylph is a medium outsider (native) not planetouched (according to the listing). They do gain a bonus as a sorcerer to their Charisma if they have the Element Bloodline (Air).

Planetouched as far as I'm aware doesn't even exist (yet) in Pathfinder and the closest I could find was http://www.pathfinderdb.com/characte...7-planetouched

Most are considered Outsider (native) and have minor bonuses to various types of magic if at all. None seem to be related to the Cleric Domains and I don't think that they'd apply to the Oracle's elemental mysteries.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Spamalot in the Playground

Q22: This is sparked from some reading I did for the "Quadruped" thread. PF appears to have ported over the "Body Slot" rules from 3.5, with a couple of alterations (i.e. expanding the number of body slots from 11 to 14.) However, the body slot rules continually specify the term "humanoid-shaped."

Is there any errata, clarification or other ruling that expands body slots to non-humanoid forms? Or is there any definition of "humanoid-shaped" that goes on to discuss non-humanoid shapes? And if so, is there a ruling from a Pathfinder source (similar to 3.5 Rules Compendium pg. 84) that specifies how you can treat body slots on non-humanoid characters?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

A22: No, to my knowledge, there is no official ruling on that. However, I think it's safe to assume that if a non-humanoid creature has the proper body type for a slot, then it should be able to use it. (For example, if a creature doesn't have a neck, it can't use a neck slot, but if it does, even if it's non-humanoid, then it should be able to use a magic necklace)

Quote Originally Posted by Xtomjames View Post
    Planetouched as far as I'm aware doesn't even exist (yet) in Pathfinder and the closest I could find was http://www.pathfinderdb.com/characte...7-planetouched
    Planetouched isn't official. It's the fan category for Ifrits, Slyphs, Undines, Oreads, Aasimar, and Tieflings, since that was the term used in 3.5.
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2011-09-11 at 11:47 AM.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

@21: Yes it does: "Air Mastery: Sylph sorcerers with the Elemental (air) bloodline treat their Charisma score as 2 points higher for all sorcerer class abilities. Sylph clerics with the Air domain cast their domain powers and spells at +1 caster level."

And yes, they are not called planetouched, but that doesn't change the fact that aasimar, ifrits, oreads, sylphs, tieflings, and undines are exactly that.

Question is still standing.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

A 21

I've not seen anything official (though to paraphrase OotS, "I may have failed a Perception check."). Yora, I think it's a good question to take over to the Paizo boards to ask on their official Q&A thread. (of course, I'm assuming they have one...)

A 22

I also don't recall seeing anything official, which really doesn't help you out I suppose. There's some information in 3.5 books, which is outside the scope of this thread but may aid you in determining any house rules you need to implement.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

@21: Yes it does: "Air Mastery: Sylph sorcerers with the Elemental (air) bloodline treat their Charisma score as 2 points higher for all sorcerer class abilities. Sylph clerics with the Air domain cast their domain powers and spells at +1 caster level."

And yes, they are not called planetouched, but that doesn't change the fact that aasimar, ifrits, oreads, sylphs, tieflings, and undines are exactly that.

Question is still standing.
    A21
    That depends on when the race was written, if it was after APG, then by RAW no, but is not a stretch or unreasonable move to make it apply for the Elemental Oracle, Air School Wizard and any others with that theme.

If it was written before the APG, then it most probably is by RAW, since Oracles as a whole, the Wizard Elemental Schools and possibly others within the theme simply did not exist before the APG, so including them is just updating the rules.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q23

What happens if a Cavalier cross classes with a Druid? Do they get an animal companion and a mount? Or do they get one, but its bonus are determined by the combined levels?
    Awesome Avvy courtesy of Beholder1995

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Heart View Post
    Q23

What happens if a Cavalier cross classes with a Druid? Do they get an animal companion and a mount? Or do they get one, but its bonus are determined by the combined levels?
    A23
    By RAW they get both at diminished power, making it a very sub-optimal idea, similar to multiclassing into 2 or more spellcasting classes.

However, it doesn't look like a stretch and overpowered at all (in fact, most probably less OP than straight Druid) to make the Druid and Cavalier levels stack to determine the mount level and abilities.
    Last edited by Larpus; 2011-09-12 at 02:58 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Larpus View Post
    A23
    By RAW they get both at diminished power, making it a very sub-optimal idea, similar to multiclassing into 2 or more spellcasting classes.

However, it doesn't look like a stretch and overpowered at all (in fact, most probably less OP than straight Druid) to make the Druid and Cavalier levels stack to determine the mount level and abilities.
    A23 Explained: No such RAW exist that state explicitly that you get a diminished mount or animal companion. Rather your mount and animal companion level as you level and is based on your character's total hit dice not the total number of levels you have in either class.

The Cavaliers' mount can serve as both animal companion and mount if multiclassed into druid.
    Please see pages 32 of the Advanced Player's Guide for the Cavalier, Page 30 of the Core Rule Book for multiclassing and page 48 for the Druid.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q24 When moving from one threatened square into another square threatened by the same creature, do you provoke attacks of opportunity? By that token, can moving past a creature provoke three or more AoO?

16. - Top - End - #76

A24:
    You provoke an AoO by moving, further than a 5-foot step. Sinse a creature can only provoke one AoO from each 'enemy' per round, you are safe.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

A24: More specifically, moving out of an enemies threatened squares explicitly only counts as a single opportunity, even if the movement has you leaving more than one square that enemy threatens.
    You can provoke several AoOs from the same enemy in one round, such as casting a spell and then moving away from the enemy. Those are two different opportunities and if the enemy has Combat Reflexes, he can make one AoO for casting a spell in a threatened square, and another one for leaving the threatened square.

18. - Top - End - #78

PaladinGuy

Q25 : Does Pathfinder follow the same "text trumps table" rule that D&D 3.5 follows?

Q26 : Does the arcane archer's "Imbue Arrow" feature work with spells with cylinder, spread, and the like? In better words, does "area spell" mean more than a spell with a radius of effect?

Look everyone this image is a link!

19. - Top - End - #79

Q:Q25
    I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

Q26
    My reading of the ability is that yes, "area spell" is any spell that affects more than a single target.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

A 25

To the best of my knowledge, that isn't in Pathfinder yet. In 3.5, that rule is actually located (I believe) in the errata file. Does the Pathfinder official FAQ (which also doubles as an errata doc) contain any such statement? I've not looked at it in a while. But that would be the likely place to look for such a statement.
    Last edited by Zherog; 2011-09-12 at 02:47 PM.
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Sorasen View Post
    Q25 : Does Pathfinder follow the same "text trumps table" rule that D&D 3.5 follows?

Q26 : Does the arcane archer's "Imbue Arrow" feature work with spells with cylinder, spread, and the like? In better words, does "area spell" mean more than a spell with a radius of effect?
    A25: There's no official ruling on that yet, however, when a question came up over the Bloatmage PrC's abilities where the table text didn't match the descriptive text, the designers said the descriptive text trumps what's on the table as a general rule.

A26: Yes. But to clarify, and area spell is any spell that targets a number of spaces rather than creatures. So mass hold person, for example, is not an area spell.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

22. - Top - End - #82

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blisstake View Post
    A25: There's no official ruling on that yet, however, when a question came up over the Bloatmage PrC's abilities where the table text didn't match the descriptive text, the designers said the descriptive text trumps what's on the table as a general rule.

A26: Yes. But to clarify, and area spell is any spell that targets a number of spaces rather than creatures. So mass hold person, for example, is not an area spell.
    Q26continued: What of spells with line or cone effects?

Look everyone this image is a link!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

A26 again

Yes. I said if a spell affects spaces rather than creatures, then it's an area spell. Lines and cones affect spaces rather than creatures.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

24. - Top - End - #84

A26
    Going further: the only difference is that wherever the arrow lands is considered the starting point of the cone, as opposed to the caster.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

A26: The section in the core rule book explains this really well pages 213-214

We should clarify a few things here, an area affect spell is a spell that affects a given area rather than specified targets, that said in some cases this isn't true. A ray is an area affect spell but most often it targets a single creature.

Otherwise everything said thus far has been more or less correct.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

A26: The section in the core rule book explains this really well pages 213-214

We should clarify a few things here, an area affect spell is a spell that affects a given area rather than specified targets, that said in some cases this isn't true. A ray is an area affect spell but most often it targets a single creature.

Otherwise everything said thus far has been more or less correct.
    I just re-read that section. Rays are mentioned right before area spells, but they do not appear to be classified as area spells.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

The easiest way to tell if something is an area spell is that the spell header has an entry for area. For example:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, fireball
    School evocation [fire]; Level sorcerer/wizard 3
    Casting Time 1 standard action
    Components V, S, M (a ball of bat guano and sulfur)
    Range long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
    Area 20-ft.-radius spread
    Duration instantaneous
    Saving Throw Reflex half; Spell Resistance yes
    or

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, lightning bolt
    School evocation [electricity]; Level sorcerer/wizard 3
    Components V, S, M (fur and a glass rod)
    Range 120 ft.
    Area 120-ft. line
    Duration instantaneous
    Saving Throw Reflex half; Spell Resistance yes
    (emphasis mine)

As opposed to:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, disintegrate
    School transmutation; Level sorcerer/wizard 6
    Components V, S, M/DF (a lodestone and a pinch of dust)
    Range medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Effect ray
    Duration instantaneous
    Saving Throw Fortitude partial (object); Spell Resistance yes
    or

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, charm person
    School enchantment (charm) [mind-affecting]; Level bard 1, sorcerer/wizard 1
    Components V, S
    Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Target one humanoid creature
    Duration 1 hour/level
    Saving Throw Will negates; Spell Resistance yes
    John Ling

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, Scorching Ray does not have an area listed. So ray attacks don't count as area spells like you said they did.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

A talent may allow you to do a called shot as a standard action. If you give a page number and name of the particular talent you're referring too I can have a read and let you know.
    Ultimate Combat (yeah sorry) pg 195

Called Shot Feats
    Improved Called Shot
    You are skilled at landing blows right where you want to.
    Prerequisites: Int 13, Combat Expertise.
    Benefit: You receive a +2 bonus on attack rolls when
    making a called shot. When taking a full-round or standard
    action that gives you multiple attacks, you can replace a
    single attack with a called shot. You may only attempt one
    called shot per round.
    Normal: You can make one called shot per round as a
    standard action.

Greater Called Shot
    You can make multiple called shots where others could
    land but one.
    Prerequisites: Int 13, Combat Expertise, Improved Called
    Shot, base attack bonus +6.
    Benefit: Whenever you make an attack, you can choose
    to replace that attack with a called shot. You can make
    multiple called shots in a single round. Each additional
    called shot after the first made in the same round takes
    a –5 penalty. In addition, a called shot that deals half
    the creature’s hit points of damage (minimum 40) is a
    debilitating blow.
    Normal: You can make only one called shot in a round
    as a standard action. A called shot that deals 50 points of
    damage is a debilitating blow.

as you can see, they both say "Normal: You can make one called shot per round as a standard action". that left me a bit puzzled.
    thank you

30. - Top - End - #90

Q27 (by my counting)
    Is there a definitive answer to the argument about Summoners / Synthesists / Eidolons and the "Enlarge/Reduce" chain of spells?

As I read it:
    Eidolons can share 'self' spells as if they were not Outsiders, but Enlarge is a 'target' spell.
    Synthesists count as Outsiders, so can't be Enlarged (and, enlarging the Synthesist inside the Eidolon has very little effect).