New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Q420a: Can somebody with Ki Throw place a tripped opponent in a dangerous square, such as one that is on fire? What about dropping them off an edge? The feat does not say you can't, but similar actions(such as Reposition) disallow it.

Q420b: What about the Spinning Throw feat, since it's a Bull Rush attempt(and you can bull rush people into dangerous terrain). Does this work?

Q420c: For Spinning Throw, do you need to be adjacent to the target when you bull rush them, despite being able to place them anywhere in your reach with Ki Throw?

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ettin in the Playground

A 420a Sure looks like that would be allowed.

A 420b For Spinning Throw, first you use your ki throw, then you resolve your bull rush. So again, I'd say that when you piece it all together you can indeed place your target in a dangerous square, and then can - if you choose - bull rush the target out of that square.

A 420c You don't need to be adjacent, but you do need to threaten. Otherwise, you'll be unable to make the trip combat maneuver necessary to get the whole chain started.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

3. - Top - End - #903

Q 421
    The spell Lockjaw says

A creature with multiple natural attacks can strike at its grappled opponent with its other natural attacks, but cannot attack any other creature.
    When grappling without this spell, are you limited to one natural attack to damage the grappled creature, or can you use all of them? Example: A bear with grab has 2 claws and a bite. While grappling does it get one or three damage attempts? (Barring other feats like rapid grapple of course.)
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A417 Not to my knowledge, no.

A418 Yes, setting. Elks are common, Megaloceras are rare prehistoric creatures. It depends on the GM if they allow you to use such a creature for your animal companion.

A419 If you can hold/wield a rod, then yes. But there's not many animals with prehensile limbs.

A421 Grapple has always been a subject of long and heated debates because it's confusing and poorly written in just about every system. Pathfinder is no exception, especially when you throw in Greater Grapple and Lockjaw.

As I understand it, it's like this: While grappling, you must use a standard action to maintain the grapple each round, and as part of that standard action you can deal damage equal to your natural attack (the one that initiated the grapple in the case of grab). Even with lockjaw this is no different because maintaining the grapple is a standard action (assuming you don't have Greater Grapple).

So the last sentence can be interpreted in three ways:
    1. You can damage your grappled target with all your natural attacks (I would say this is unlikely).
    2. If you're using the -20 option to grapple your target without being grappled yourself, you can only attack that same target (possibly, but that's not a very common maneuver).
    3. Once you've grabbed your opponent with the natural attack you can finish performing your full attack but can only attack that same opponent (probably RAI).
    Last edited by Keneth; 2012-05-21 at 11:12 AM.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 422

Related to the human Favored Class Bonuses for Rogues

The human gains +1/6 of a new rogue talent.
    What does that mean? do I get an additional rogue feat every 6 level?
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A422 For every six times you decide to take this favored class bonus, you gain an additional rogue talent.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Q 423: We are looking for a feat or spell or something in Pathfinder that lets a cleric channel energy in a directional ray or blast rather than the usual 30' radius energy burst. We are sure we have seen it somewhere before, but are having no luck. Anybody know what this is we're trying to find?

Thanks,

SB

8. - Top - End - #908

A423 There is no core feat or spell for it. However, the Prestige class the Holy vindicator can channel energy in a 60 ft cone or a 120 ft line at 6th level.
    Awesome Avatar by Ceika

I'm back baby!

9. - Top - End - #909
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 424: I'm a bit confused by PF's rules for monsters with class levels. If I want to give a ghoul (CR 1) three levels of adept, what CR is that, then?

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A424 CR 2. Ghoul is CR 1, Adept 3 is CR 1.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ettin in the Playground

A 424 correction

It's not quite as simple as adding together the CR of both "pieces." You have to determine if a class is "key" or "non-key." Conveniently, this one is easy because NPC classes are always non-key.

Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD
    Table: Monsters with Class Levels gives general guidelines regarding which core classes add directly to a monster's abilities based on its role. Classes that are marked “key” generally add 1 to a creature's CR for each level added. Classes marked with a “—” increase a creature's CR by 1 for every 2 class levels added until the number of levels added are equal to (or exceed) the creature's original CR, at which point they are treated as “key” levels (adding 1 to the creature's CR for each level added). Creatures that fall into multiple roles treat a class as key if either of its roles treat the class as key. Note that levels in NPC classes are never considered key.
    (from here so the table can be viewed)

Original CR is 1. The first two levels increase the CR by 1; by the time we add the third level, we're at a 1:1 ratio, so that also adds one to the CR, for a total of CR 3.
    Last edited by Zherog; 2012-05-23 at 08:47 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A424+ Huh, I've never seen that before, thanks. But the rules are kinda ridiculous, adding some caster levels to a "combat" creature is usually gonna help it a lot more than a few extra fighter levels. Apparently Pathfinder developers firmly believe that all classes are equal in power.

On a side note, the ratio is class levels:CR not class level-derived CR:CR, so the CR actually goes 1, 1.5, 2.5, 3.5 = 3 by this logic (same end result in this case but you could seriously miscalculate for higher-CR monsters).
    Last edited by Keneth; 2012-05-23 at 10:06 AM.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ettin in the Playground

A 424+

At the risk of digging too deep into this for a "simple" Q&A thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Keneth
    On a side note, the ratio is class levels:CR not class level-derived CR:CR
    This is correct, but not the whole picture. And what I've done.

Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD
    Classes marked with a “—” increase a creature's CR by 1 for every 2 class levels added until the number of levels added are equal to (or exceed) the creature's original CR...
    Emphasis mine

I've always interpretted that to essentially mean, "Add two levels at a time, until you hit or surpass the original CR." And at the risk of invoking an "appeal to authority" falacy, 3rd party publishers I've worked with also use that interpretation.

So, in this example you start off at CR 1. You add two class levels and increase the CR by 1. At that point the number of added levels equals or exceeds the original CR, so from here on out every level added increases CR on a 1:1 basis.

This rule is, essentially, Paizo's answer to 3.5's associated vs unassociated class rule for increasing CR. While it's no perfect, it's an improvement - like much of the ruleset, actually.
    John Ling

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Well that's reversing the system, when I'm advancing a monster I don't add 2 class levels to raise its CR up by 1, since that's ridiculous because classes are vastly different and therefore can't be reduced to such an arbitrary system. Instead, I add whatever number of class levels I'm looking for and then calculate the CR afterwards just to get a rough estimate of what the rewards should be.

Not that there's anything wrong with your interpretation, the halves are rounded down anyway so it doesn't change the en result. Still, it needed to be pointed out since it wasn't clear what you were doing in your previous post.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ettin in the Playground

It's all good. The question got answered, you learned a new piece of the rules, and I learned to write a little clearer on this sort of complex answer, rather than going for the short-and-sweet version of answers.
    John Ling

16. - Top - End - #916

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bingo View Post
    A70 Addendum:

There ya go

-edit-
    Also, see the description of the Manyshot feat, regarding precision damage and multiple arrows.
    Not sure if this was corrected but this is wrong. That is talking specifically about the Arcane Trickster's ability to deal damage with spells that are area or do not involve attack rolls.

Scorching Ray is a spell that requires an attack roll for each ray and therefore grants sneak attack damage on each ray due to the baseline function of sneak attack.

The PRD states:
    Sneak attack: If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The rogue's attack deals extra damage anytime her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a weapon that deals nonlethal damage (like a sap, whip, or an unarmed strike), a rogue can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual –4 penalty.

The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment."

Emphasis mine. Anytime the rogue makes an attack (ie, makes an attack roll to smack someone under the conditions specified in sneak attack), they add sneak attack damage. Scorching ray allows one attack per ray, thus allowing the extra damage from sneak attack to apply on each ray.

(I know it was old, but I just had to jump in. I like my SA magic flingers)

17. - Top - End - #917
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Thanks to both Keneth and Zherog for the detailed analysis. Appreciate it.

18. - Top - End - #918

SolithKnightGuy

Q425: If character A readies a longspear against a charge, can the charge provoke two attacks, one from the readied action, one as an attack of opportunity for character B continuing the charge and leaving the threatened square?
    I admit full culpability for Phyrnglsnyx

19. - Top - End - #919
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q426

Does an animal companion, namely a Hawk, need weapon finesse in order to use dex when calculating attack?

I thought I read somewhere that they use which ever is higher (dex or str) but I don't remember where I read that... so maybe I didn't.

Thanks
    vonT

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ettin in the Playground

Q427
    If a [curse] spell is on multiple class lists at multiple levels (such as Curse of Magic Negation, which is 4 on all lists except Cleric where it is 5) what level is it on a Hexcrafter Magu's spell list?

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A425 Yes, if the rider charges to the space next to you, then they trigger your readied action as well as an attack of opportunity. But riding chargers generally use reach weapons too (i.e. lance).

A426 No, you have to take Weapon Finesse as one of your feats. The only time a creature can automatically add Dexterity instead of Strength to a check is in the case of tiny or smaller creatures and Combat Maneuver Bonus.

A427 Since the spell list is unspecified, you can use the lowest spell level on the list.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ogre in the Playground

Q278: Do a monk's unarmed strikes count as a melee-weapon when using Spell-combat as a magus?

Q279 Can you Flurry and use spell-combat at the same time, taking the penalties for both?
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

23. - Top - End - #923

A278: Yes, they are treated as light weapons I believe.

A279: No, the magus' spell combat is considered two weapon fighting, which can't be used in conjunction with flurry of blows. Flurry of blows is basically two weapon fighting built into the class, with some bonuses. You can only use monk weapons or, in the case of some archetypes, a few other weapons in flurry of blows.
    Last edited by Arillius; 2012-05-25 at 10:55 PM.
    Awesome Avatar by Ceika

I'm back baby!

24. - Top - End - #924
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Q431 does a stormlord's enhanced javelins plus stack with other pluses on the weapon?

25. - Top - End - #925
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q432: is there any kind of table to randomly determine the number and level of the inhabitants of a settlement? There was one in 3.5, but I haven't been able to find its equivalent in PF.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ogre in the Playground

Q.433: do thrown weapons count as ranged weapons for the purposes of feats?

Q. 434: Do weapons thrown using the two-handed thrower feat count as thrown weapons for feat purposes?
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

27. - Top - End - #927

A433 Yes, but there are certain limits. Rapid shot can't be used unless you have something like quick draw for instance. And a ready supply of weapons.

A434 The feat doesn't make one handed or two handed weapons thrown weapons. It just makes it easier to use them as such, as well as more powerful. That said, this is something you should ask your DM. Officially, any weapon that's being thrown can be considered a ranged weapon, but at the same time there are -specific weapons- that are considered throwing weapons.
    Last edited by Arillius; 2012-05-27 at 01:17 PM.
    Awesome Avatar by Ceika

I'm back baby!

28. - Top - End - #928

Probably a stupid question/s I think I know the answer/s to anyway, but here it goes.

Q435a In playing a race with a climb speed, i.e. a Vanara, do you still have to make climb checks since they have a climb speed?

Q435b If they don't have to make climb checks in order to climb, what kind of situations would this type of creature need to make climb checks?

Also.

Q436 Creatures with climb speeds, as I recall, get a 'racial' bonus to Climb checks. Is that bonus a +4 or +8 or a different number?

Q437 Can a creature with a climb speed attack with a ranged weapon while climbing, i.e. take a move action to climb and then make a standard action to shoot an arrow with a bow?
    The Super Special Awesome Yiuel made my very manly Avatar
    The Great Steam Golem, Blitzcrank!

He really has a heart of gold...encased in a framework of iron...in a carapace of steel.

29. - Top - End - #929

A431
    Wrong thread, that's about the Complete Divine PrC, so it goes in the 3.5 one.

A432
    Don't know of any table to randomly determine numbers on settlements, but I do know there are tables regarding the size, overall power, magic item availability and etc of settlements, might not be what you're looking for, but I hope it helps.

A435a&b&436
    The answers lie here, but to properly answer in this thread:

Yes, a creature with climbspeed still needs to make climb checks, but only if said check DC is higher than 0, but even so, it can always choose to take 10, even on situations where it wouldn't be allowed.

And yes, a creature with climbspeed does get a +8 to climb checks.

And you didn't ask, but you also retain your Dex bonus to AC while climbing.

A437
    Couldn't find any specific rule about it, but climb is specifically mentioned as a move action (even for creatures without climbspeed), so I'd say that yes, you can climb and attack, just providing you have enough limbs to hold your weapon and keep yourself from falling.
    Last edited by Larpus; 2012-05-28 at 02:28 AM.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q438 Does an alchemist with Wings discovery get half his level added to Fly checks when using the ability to fly? Technically it says it works as the fly spell but it's an extraordinary ability with actual physical wings and no effective caster level. And does he fall slowly if he uses up his entire duration?

Pathfinder devs really need to get their **** together. There's Sp abilities that aren't based on spells and Ex abilities that are copying spells. It's ridiculous.