New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

A455 The enhancement bonuses do stack since the class features explicitly state that they stack with existing enhancement bonus. Abilities stack as well as long as you don't choose the same ones (you can't add flaming to a weapon twice).

It sounds kinda strong, but then a magus/paladin would be extremely rare anyway so I see no balance issues here.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Orc in the Playground

Q456

If a Eidolon has the grab and rake evolution, if this errata is in place : http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rul...s#TOC-Rake-Ex-

Is it true that the Eidolon does not get the rake attacks upon succeeding the grapple via grab, and only receives them on maintain grapple checks although it technically says any grapple check in the rake evolution description?

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A456 Rake has been a bit flimsy ever since 3rd edition, but yes, that's how it's supposed to work. You only get rake attacks on subsequent grapple checks after initiating grapple.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Q457

Assume my character is wielding 2 weapons (A in primary hand and B off-hand), and a BAB of +11 (so I have attacks at +11, +6, +1). I understand that with a full-attack I can do a +11/+11 attack (applying TWF penalties) with A and B, or a +11, +6, +1 with A.

My question(s) is/are: Can I do a +11/+6/+1 with just B, and which penalties apply to it? Can I do +11/+6/+1 alternating A, B, A, or some other mixes?

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A457 Technically neither of your hands is primary until you decide which one is the off hand when you're using two-weapon fighting. This is only relevant when determining which weapon you get an extra attack with. You can alternate your attacks with both hands at no penalty. Moreover, when making a full attack with two weapons, you don't just get two attacks at +11, you get a full +11/+6/+1 attack and an extra +11 attack with your off hand (along with any appropriate bonuses and penalties to all of the attacks).

6. - Top - End - #966
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 458

does any material allow mind-affecting effects to affect creature types immune to mind-affecting effects?

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A458 I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no. Most creatures immune to mind-affecting effects are mindless, and without giving them intelligence, they're always gonna stay that way. Besides, what would be the point of being immune to mind-affecting effects if someone could just bypass it anyway?

8. - Top - End - #968
    Barbarian in the Playground

A458
    Well there is a feat that lets a Bardic Performance affect plants. In 3.5 there was one that let Bardic Performance affect undead as well. So there are specific exceptions.
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

9. - Top - End - #969

A458+: There is also the Threnodic Spell metamagic, which albeit at a costly +2, allows Mind-Effecting spells to work on undead.

10. - Top - End - #970

Res, do you have a specific situation? More information might help us answer more completely.
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Right, forgot about Threnodic Spell since it's pretty limited in it's use. Besides the fact that it's +2, you also have to take into account that undead generally have very good Will saves and if they happen to be mindless, a lot of the spells' effects will be meaningless anyway.

12. - Top - End - #972

Quote Originally Posted by RndmNumGen View Post
    A458+: There is also the Threnodic Spell metamagic, which albeit at a costly +2, allows Mind-Effecting spells to work on undead.
    A458++: Or you could just be a Dirge Archetype Bard, and get the same effect as the Threndic Spell metamagic for free. Charm Person becomes Control Mindless Undead.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Firstly, you can't use charm person on undead, not even with a Dirge Bard. Secondly, mindless undead technically don't speak or understand any languages, so how exactly are you gonna be relaying your commands? And no, speak with dead doesn't work with undead. You'd need to have an extremely lenient GM who would let you make Charisma checks to control mindless undead.

14. - Top - End - #974

A458
    At 2nd level, a dirge bard gains a bonus equal to half his bard level on Knowledge (religion) checks made to identify undead creatures and their abilities. A dirge bard may use mind-affecting spells to affect undead as if they were living creatures, even if they are mindless (though spells that affect only humanoids do not affect them, even if they were humanoids in life).
    Benefit: This feat only works on mind-affecting spells. A threnodic spell affects undead creatures (even mindless undead) as if they weren't immune to mind-affecting effects, but has no effect on living creatures.
    Undead understand the language those that created them speak, so I guess you need to get lucky or something. Both options, however, do affect mindless undead. The dirge bard even says it affects them as if they were living creatures, so spells that work on living creatures work on them. All of them. So long as it can be cast on an undead. That said, charm person is limited to humanoids. I think you'd need to use charm monster.
    Last edited by Arillius; 2012-06-07 at 07:46 PM.
    Awesome Avatar by Ceika

I'm back baby!

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ettin in the Playground

Q459

Magic items produce spells or spell-like effects. For a saving throw against a spell or spell-like effect from a magic item, the DC is 10 the level of the spell or effect the ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell.
    Does this mean a spell with non-saving throw effects based on casting stat (such as Bladed Dash) uses the user's ability score?

16. - Top - End - #976

A459 No. There is no saving throw because it has a target of you, which means magic items that use such spells must be activated by you, which means that work on you when you are willing. No saving throw.
    Awesome Avatar by Ceika

I'm back baby!

17. - Top - End - #977
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arillius View Post
    A459 No. There is no saving throw because it has a target of you, which means magic items that use such spells must be activated by you, which means that work on you when you are willing. No saving throw.
    The question asks about the "circumstance bonus on your attack roll equal to your Intelligence or Charisma modifier" from the spell, not about saving throws.

18. - Top - End - #978

A459+ Sorry, bit tired. Misread it. The answer is still no, but for a different reason. If it gives an attack roll it's of a certain type. Usually touch or ranged touch. You use your regular modifiers for that. (str for touch and dex for ranged touch). With spells like that, you would however get the bonus your speaking of. Because it says you do in the spell.
    Last edited by Arillius; 2012-06-07 at 08:06 PM.
    Awesome Avatar by Ceika

I'm back baby!

19. - Top - End - #979

Q460 Are there any pathfinder weapons that have reach and a crit threat range of 18-20? Are there any weapons with a crit threat range of 18-20 that do more then x2 damage?
    Awesome Avatar by Ceika

I'm back baby!

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Undead understand the language those that created them speak, so I guess you need to get lucky or something.
    Says where exactly? Mindless undead understand the words of those who control them, be it their creator or someone using control undead (or similar spell/ability) and they understand them regardless of language. They can't understand anyone else, even if they speak the same language, because it's a necromantic effect and not a language-dependent ability.

Both options, however, do affect mindless undead.
    Just because they're affected, doesn't mean they magically gain the ability to do something they couldn't otherwise. If you dominate a dog and order it to speak (assuming you can communicate with it), you'd still only hear barks and growls because it's not capable of speech. Mindless undead are gonna be just as mindless even after casting a mind-affecting spell on them.

Anyway, this is getting a bit too long winded for this thread, we should probably make a new one if we're gonna keep discussing the matter.

A459 I would say that for all effects and purposes, you "cast" the spell at its specified caster level (generally lowest possible) and with an effective ability score equal to the minimum required to cast it. So in this case I would guess you get a +1 circumstance bonus to your attack, regardless of your actual Int or Cha modifier. This spell is problematic because it's "personal" so the caster and target are the same thing. Ruling that it's in fact an effect that's based on the target of the spell and not the caster would not be wrong in this case either, so in the end it's up to GM to decide how this should be handled.

A460 Yes, a fauchard is a 18-20/x2 weapon with reach and as such it is, of course, an exotic weapon. And no, the only weapon that has a higher crit modifier than x2 and a crit range of more than 20 is a falcata, which is 19-20/x3 and also an exotic weapon.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q461: can the presence of a Hallow or Unhallow spell be detected using Detect Magic? If so, can the spell then be identified using Spellcraft or Knowledge (Arcana)?

How about Detect Good/Evil? Will these spells register Hallow/Unhallow?

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ettin in the Playground

Q460 Are there any pathfinder weapons that have reach and a crit threat range of 18-20? Are there any weapons with a crit threat range of 18-20 that do more then x2 damage?
    A460
    Excluding Keen (and similar increases to threat range/crit modifer) and natural weapons?
    1: Fauchard is an exotic with 18-20/2x, d10, reach and trip.
    2: No.
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2012-06-08 at 10:49 AM.

23. - Top - End - #983

Q462: Can an archer with +6 BAB use Manyshot and Rapid Shot in the same full attack, getting a total of 4 arrows off(2 for Manyshot, 1 for Rapid Shot and 1 for Iterative)? I would think yes considering they both state 'when making a full attack action', but I want to confirm.

24. - Top - End - #984

Q463
    When you use Beast Shape I and change yourself into a venomous snake (medium animal), by RAW you don't get the poison attack (you don't get this until Beast Shape III), but do you still get to produce poison? Such as in order to collect it to sell or make poisons on your own?

25. - Top - End - #985
    Pixie in the Playground

Q464
    I have two potential builds I'm trying to decide between. In the long run, what will likely result in more damage:

6 attacks per round at 31/31/31/26/21/16 for 3d6 +21

or

1 attack per round at 51 for 13d6 +30
    Last edited by behaigo; 2012-06-08 at 10:27 PM.

26. - Top - End - #986

MonkGuy

Q465: An otyugh hits a foe with a tentacle attack. Using the Grab ability, it gets a free grapple attempt and makes a successful combat maneuver bonus check to grapple the target. It then uses the "continue fighting without the 'grappled' condition" rule. Can it continue doing tentacle attacks with the tentacle it uses to grapple its target?

Link to the Pathfinder description of 'Grab' here.

Q466: The previously mentioned Otyugh hits another target with its other tentacle. Does the -20 penalty for continuing to fight with a target already grappled count this combat maneuver check to successfully start a grapple?

Edit: Added a link to the Pathfinder SRD on 'Grab'.
    Last edited by Kudaku; 2012-06-09 at 06:08 PM.

27. - Top - End - #987

A461
    Couldn't find anything that specifically answered it. However, from reading the spell description, I'd say that it can indeed be detected by a Detect Magic spell, if not for anything else, due to the line:
    Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD
    First, the site is warded by a magic circle against X effect.
    Which for me means that there's a spell still active in the area and thus detectable.

As for specifically pinpointing it as a Hallow/Unhallow, I do believe it allows a check, if anything I would make a failure (or a failure of up to 5) make it look like a simple Magic Circle Against X instead.

A462
    Yes, you can.

Manyshot makes your first arrow become two (do note however, that it's still a *single* attack, so there's only one check and no chance of missing an arrow and hitting the other), you get an iterative due to high enough BAB and finally, Rapid Shot is akin to TWF, adding an attack to your normal routine.

A464?
    Depends greatly on what you're swinging against. But if the +31 is only enough to give you 50% hit-chance, then the single big attack will give you more damage.

For the sake of simplicity, I'll ignore the attacks of +21 and less because they'd only hit on a natural 20 against something with 41 AC (which is what would give +31 50% to-hit);

Also, I'll give you a mathematical DpR, because I'm not very good with the weird D&D/PF math of 2 * 2 = 3:

Multiple attacks: (1/2) * (3*(3d6 + 21)) + (1/4) * (3d6 + 21) = 0.5 * (31 + 63) + 0.25 * (11 + 21) = 47 + 8 = 55

Single attack: 45 + 30 = 75

A465
    No, it cannot make attacks with that particular tentacle to other targets as it's already busy (think of a Fighter with a sword in each hand and then having one be disarmed). But it can (and actually must), use that tentacle to keep grappling the initial target (at -20) and deal damage as if it attacked that target once again.

A466
    No. The -20 applies to maintaining a grappled traget and not getting the grapple condition yourself. If the creature can somehow attempt a new grapple against a new target (as such is the case), this new check is made at normal CMB and will only receive the -20 at the following round where the creature must do so in order to maintain two grappled targets at once (since gaining the grappled condition would prevent it from having more than a single grapple going on).
    Last edited by Larpus; 2012-06-11 at 04:27 PM.

28. - Top - End - #988

RangerGuy

Q467

Hi! I'm confused about the Drill Instructor ability in this Cavalier Archetype.

It says he can train his allies for 10 minutes and then expend one Challenge. But waiting 10 minutes to start a fight is kinda dumb (or if there's an emergency, you can't wait 10 minutes). Is it possible to train your allies in the morning 10 minutes and in the afternoon expend the Challenge and use the Drill Instructor ability?
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ettin in the Playground

Q468
    Can I use Rapid Shot with throwing weapons?

Q469
    Can I combine Rapid Shot with TWF throwing weapons?

30. - Top - End - #990

A467
    As you noted, would be dumb if he couldn't and in the text I didn't see anything that would be specifically against it. So check with your DM, but IMHO, that's fair game.

Sure, the wording seems to mention that you need to spend both at the same time, but it's not specific and considering it's an extraordinary ability, I'd say it's along the lines of "hey everyone, do battle formation D, just as we practiced this morning!"

A468
    Yes you can. Rapid Shot works with ranged weapons, which thrown weapons are:
    Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD
    [...] close combat (melee) or at a distance (ranged, which includes both thrown and projectile weapons) [...]
    A469
    The only restriction to two weapon fighting is that you have to hold a one-handed weapon in each hand, so as long as what you're using is a one-handed thrown weapon, it seems that indeed you can.

That said, I'm pretty sure you'd need Quickdraw or more limbs if you plan to use both Rapid Shot and TWF at the same time.

EDIT: There is one exception I can name though: an Alchemist with the Fast Bombs discovery, since the discovery makes the action of creating a bomb be a free action, so as such, you prepare bombs with lightning speed, instead of having them ready to throw (also, by straight RAW, you technically don't need any free hands to prepare your bombs).
    Last edited by Larpus; 2012-06-12 at 08:37 PM.