New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1548
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

304a
    I fail to see how a Beastmorpher is able to increase his size through mutagen.

Unless it's some new rule not yet updated in the SRD, a Beastmorpher can only select from the abilities available to Alter Self/Beast Shape I-III, you know, darkvision, flight, grab, pounce.

He cannot however access size shifting nor ability score bonuses.

If your DM has ruled otherwise though, it's obviously best to ask him, but I see no point in allowing you to increase in size at the expense of breaking your equipment (and if that is his ruling, don't see a point in you ever doing it).

304b
    No.

Both effects would be Supernatural in nature (as they're both from the (Su) mutagen), meaning that they are magical and, as per the entry on Enlarge Person, multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack (same reason why Growth Mutagen and Enlarge Person wouldn't stack).

304c
    Level 17 at the least for that.

My best guess is that either at some point Master Chymist had full spell progression or the discovery was at some point available as a normal discovery (seems likely, given that it mentions Feral Mutagen which is most probably what you got to be a Master Chymist to begin with).

304d
    Don't see why not, I think it's a pretty good candidate for such a concept.

Whenever you drink your mutagen (or use your mutagenic form once you have a level in Master Chymist) you get to look like a complete monster, with hardened skin and abilities unavailable to normal humans (or whatever your base race is), making it resemble a dragon is merely a fluff change.

304e
    Sadly no, Breath Weapon Bomb specifically mentions it's a standard action to use the breath attack and also heavily implies that it's an action different to simply prepare a bomb, thus not being affected by Fast Bombs.

You can ask your DM's opinion though, as BWB was written after FB (which is why there is no clause in FB) and it might just be bad wording on BWB's entry (as Paizo has already done before).
    Last edited by Larpus; 2012-09-20 at 07:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Ogre in the Playground

304E - Concurrent

Fast Bombs functions "just like a full attack with a ranged weapon." Breath weapons are a supernatural ability - not ranged weapons - and are a standard action to activate.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Thanks, I had a feeling I was doing something wrong. Glad I asked. That makes a lot more sense.

Doing the math though, it looks like a 10/10 Master Chemyst wouldn't be able to get the Draconic Mutagen until level 20, because the effective caster level wouldn't hit 16 until Alch 10 / MC 9 and you can't take Advanced Mutagen as a perk. So, I have to ask:

Q305: Do you get anything at all for Draconic Mutagen beyond one elemental resistance and a 1/Mutation breath attack that is out-classed by Breath Weapon Bomb by that point? If it's read the same as the Beastmorph mutagens, it actually seems completely pointless.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Ogre in the Playground

AQ305

The only benefits of the Draconic Mutagen are the breath weapon and energy resistance. The benefits I can think of for the breath weapon over the breath weapon bomb:

1. Does not consume a bomb.
    2. 8d8 is an average of 36 damage, while 10d6 is an average of 35 damage, so it does a minute more damage on average and four more damage max.
    3. It can be of a type other than fire damage.
    4. Can be a line shape instead of a cone shape, and has a larger radius.
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    AQ305

The only benefits of the Draconic Mutagen are the breath weapon and energy resistance. The benefits I can think of for the breath weapon over the breath weapon bomb:

1. Does not consume a bomb.
    2. 8d8 is an average of 36 damage, while 10d6 is an average of 35 damage, so it does a minute more damage on average and four more damage max.
    3. It can be of a type other than fire damage.
    4. Can be a line shape instead of a cone shape, and has a larger radius.
    Might not be worth working towards, then. Extracts provide more avenues for elemental resistances and Throw Anything allows you to add int to damage with bombs, which should easily surpass both the maximum and average damages by level 20. Thanks.

Actually, one more question:

Q306: Does Improved Natural Attack stack with the Furious Advanced Mutagen (an Ex ability)?
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-09-21 at 12:43 PM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

6. - Top - End - #1236

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Might not be worth working towards, then. Extracts provide more avenues for elemental resistances and Throw Anything allows you to add int to damage with bombs, which should easily surpass both the maximum and average damages by level 20. Thanks.

Actually, one more question:

Q306: Does Improved Natural Attack stack with the Furious Advanced Mutagen (an Ex ability)?
    Actually, Throw Anything has nothing to do with it.

Bombs naturally add Int to damage and seeing as BWB does "bomb damage", the +Int to damage is already factored in, other than radius, the other difference is that there is no attack roll, only a Reflex save for the enemies for half damage.

Also do note that it makes no mention of "doing no splash damage" even though it does none, so it might actually work in conjunction with Sticky Bomb for extra damage the following turn. Or worse yet, normal damage is considered the splash damage, so ask your DM before you actually do this.

A306
    Couldn't find any mention of the effects not stacking and usually these sorts of effects are not mutually exclusive, so I'd say that yes they do.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q307
    Sneak attack on spells with saves: Does the SA damage get halved as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Ogre in the Playground

A307

First of all, remember that you can only sneak attack using spells that require an attack roll, and most of these do not allow for saves. The exception to this rule is the Arcane Trickster, who luckily has an FAQ to how their specific feature works:

The Surprise Spells class feature allows the Arcane Trickster to add his sneak attack dice to spells that deal damage that target flat-footed foes. This damage is only applied once per spell. In the case of fireball this means it affects all targets in the area, with each getting a save to halve the damage (including the sneak attack damage). In the case of magic missile, the extra damage is only added once to one missile, chosen by the caster when the spell is cast.
    SPECULATION: By this precedent, I would assume that if you are sneak attacking with a spell that requires both an attack roll and a saving throw for half damage, a successful save would half the sneak attack damage as well.

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Ogre in the Playground

Q308 Can paladins adventure with chaotically-aligned allies or are they subject to the same rule as evil-aligned?
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ogre in the Playground

A308

There is no restriction on Paladins and chaotically-aligned allies. Your paladin of Torag can party with Cayden Cailean's priests all he wants!

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Orc in the Playground

Q309
    can a quadruped creature with the rake ability rake while it is grappled
    ei monk is fighting a mountain lion, lion grapples monk, loin can't rake because it can only do so if the round starts with it grappling, on the monks turn he takes over the grapple, can the lion rake here or is it prevented from doing so because it no longer controls the grapple
    Tiberious Cromwell
    Half-Orc
    Cleric 12/Holy Vindicator 4
    Large
    Fire and Thought domains

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ogre in the Playground

A309

From the SRD:

A creature with this special attack gains extra natural attacks under certain conditions, typically when it grapples its foe. In addition to the options available to all grapplers, a monster with the rake ability gains two free claw attacks that it can use only against a grappled foe. The bonus and damage caused by these attacks is included in the creature’s description. A monster with the rake ability must begin its turn already grappling to use its rake—it can’t begin a grapple and rake in the same turn.
    From the Grappling description:

[B]oth creatures have the grappled condition.
    You can use your rake attack on a grappled foe. If a foe is grappling you, they have the grappled condition. Therefore, a creature with the Rake special attack can use the ability even if a foe is grappling her.

Note that there are some abilities that allow an attacker to grapple without gaining the grappled condition. If the person maintaining the grapple does not have the grappled condition for whatever reason, the grappled creature cannot use their rake special attack.

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Titan in the Playground

Question 310
    What is the CR of a Gnome Oracle with the Celestial Template?
    It actually matters as it affects my Spell Resistance from the Celestial Template.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ogre in the Playground

A310

CR= class level-1 for humanoids with class levels (other than NPC classes). Celestial adds a CR of +0 if the creature has 4 or less HD, +1 if the creature has 5 or more HD.

So:

Level 1 - CR 1/2
    Level 2 - CR 1
    Level 3 - CR 2
    Level 4 - CR 3
    Level 5 - CR 5 (CR increase due to having 5 HD)
    Level 6 - CR 6
    Level 7 - CR 7
    ...etc.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 311:

Two-Handed Fighter gets double his strength bonus when making a single attack. How does this affect Power Attack's strength modifier x2 strength.

Like Bob the Two-Handed Fighter charges with a Tetsubo and Power Attacks for -2 and hits.
    Current Avatar:
    Captain Roy Valiant by Lord Fullbladder

Former Avatars:
    Deepwyrm Drow Warblade by gurgleflep
    Kakashi Avatar by Dispozition
    Draenei Spellbreaker by KaptainKrutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Anecronwashere View Post
    Cleric: Right, I cast Infict Serious Wounds on that guy.
    DM: Sorry, you kissed too many babies this week, you heal him instead
    Cleric: Quick! Someone find me a dog to kick

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ogre in the Playground

AQ311

Power Attack's modifier is not changed by Str; it is changed by BAB.

If Bob the level 3 Two-Handed Fighter with a Str of 18 charges someone and Power Attacks with his Tetsubo, his damage is as follows:

1d10+8+3+2+Any other relevant modifiers

[Weapon Damage]+[Strx2]+[Power Attack with a BAB of <4 and a two-handed weapon]+[charging]

When his BAB reaches +4, and every four levels thereafter, he reduces his attack roll by an addition 1 and adds an additional 3 damage [edit: Assuming a two handed weapon; read the Power Attack description for full details].
    Last edited by Novawurmson; 2012-09-27 at 12:10 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Orc in the Playground

Q312 Does wearing a heavy or medium armor reduce my flying speed? nonmagical flying, of course

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ogre in the Playground

A312

All movement speeds are limited by armor, as shown on this table.

Remember that armor applies its armor check penalty on Fly skill rolls, and most abilities that grant flying restrict flight in some way. For example, see the Angel Wings feat.

Note that flying mounts cannot fly in medium or heavy armor (Source).

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q313

I'm currently in the process of switching my campaign from 4.0 to Pathfinder, and as the DM, I have a question. When starting a campaign with characters that are above level one (Say, fifth level), do you have the characters start with hero points to reflect all the levels that they gained before the story start? What I mean is, if you start with a fifth level character, do you automatically start with five hero points?
    Last edited by Acora; 2012-09-30 at 09:44 PM.
    "Do what you need to do for your lame blue city, even if you turn a nice shade of tan for it."

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ettin in the Playground

A 313

Pathfinder doesn't have hero points, so there's no RAW answer to the question.

I stand (well, sit) corected. I found them in the PRD as an optional rule. More info coming once I read it over...

Edit, The Redux:

Here's the rules for awarding hero points. I've underlined what I think are the key clauses you need:

Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD
    Awarding Hero Points

Each character begins play with 1 hero point, regardless of her level. In addition, whenever a character gains a level, she earns an additional hero point. Aside from these basic rules, awarding additional hero points is up to the GM. The following options are just some of the ways that a GM might award additional hero points.

>>snip<<

Maximum Hero Points: Characters can have no more than 3 hero points at any one time. Excess hero points are lost.
    (Source Link)

So, regardless of level characters start with one point. They gain a new point whenever they level (and whenever the GM feels like giving one). They can never have more than 3 points saved up.
    Last edited by Zherog; 2012-10-01 at 09:12 AM.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ogre in the Playground

A313

I would just like to reiterate that hero points are an optional rule and not necessary to your enjoyment of the game.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Ettin in the Playground

Q314 Can Watersinger's Waterstrike benifit from deadly aim?
    Q315 Can it be used with Improved Natural Attack (It is a "slam attack")?
    Q315 Weapon Focus and similar?

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ogre in the Playground

A314 No. Deadly Aim benefits ranged attacks, while a slam attack is melee (it also specifically benefits from flanking and threatens squares, something ranged attacks don't do naturally).

A315 I believe the RAW answer is "No." From the text of Improved Natural Attack:

Choose one of the creature's natural attack forms...
    Compare with the text of Watersinger:

...the water's slam damage...
    The water does not use your slam damage, it uses its own slam damage. If the water could somehow gain feats on its own, it could take Improved Natural Attack, but alas, it's just water.

It's not a particularly overpowered combination, so a reasonable DM might allow it, but I believe the RAW answer is that the water makes the attack, not you.

A316 There is no RAW answer as the text of the archetype does not specify either way, but consider the language "the water's slam" and the text of Spiritual Weapon, which has a similar effect. Here's a relevant snippet:

Your feats or combat actions do not affect the weapon.
    There are two logical lines of thought:

1. Similar abilities do not allow feats to affect the attack; therefore, feats do not affect Waterstrike.
    2. It's not particularly overpowered; therefore, rule of cool, sure, whatever.

I'd like to stress that there does not appear to be a RAW answer in this case, so talk with your DM to find the "correct" answer for your game.

24. - Top - End - #1254

Q317

Can a simulacrum of a spellcaster cast spells?

Q318

Does a simulacrum also have the same equipment as the original?
    Last edited by weenie; 2012-10-07 at 09:16 AM.
    Great avatar by Serpentine!

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Ogre in the Playground

A317

It appears to be the same as the original, but it has only half of the real creature's levels or HD (and the appropriate hit points, feats, skill ranks, and special abilities for a creature of that level or HD)
    Emphasis added. The duplicate can cast spells of a creature of the appropriate level; if a level 20 Wizard makes a simulacrum of himself, it has all the abilities of a level 10 Wizard.

A318

The spell does not specifically state that it replicates gear, so I believe the answer is "no."

Addendum: Ravingdork compiled a nice list of developer rulings on simulacrums that you may wish to consult.

26. - Top - End - #1256

Q319

Is there a limit on how many Pearls of Power of a certain level a character can have and use?
    Great avatar by Serpentine!

27. - Top - End - #1257

A319
    Doesn't look like there's a limit, it's not a item that uses up a slot and in some ways is more akin to a spellstoring whatever, so your wallet is the limit.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 320 What way(s) is/are there for a sorcerer to get a spell as a cost-free spell-like ability?

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ogre in the Playground

A320 This is not a "RAW" question. Please make a thread to discuss this.

From the Procedure post at the beginning of the thread:

Spoiler
    Show

Sample “Bad” Questions:

What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    A320 This is not a "RAW" question. Please make a thread to discuss this.

From the Procedure post at the beginning of the thread:

Spoiler
    Show

Sample “Bad” Questions:

What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
    On the contrary, his question is completely RAW. He's not asking for what's good or bad, he's asking for ways to achieve a specific game mechanic. No opinion or subjective judgment is required, just a list of "X feat/class/whatever grants Y spell-like ability".

I don't know of any off hand, but I could easily have missed something.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)