New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 183334353637383940414243444546474849505152 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1548
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Q321 Relevent text from the PFSRD

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Alchemists are proficient with all simple weapons and bombs. They are also proficient with light armor, but not with shields.

Is there a list of the weapons catagorized as bombs?
    Because I looked in weapons, and it isn't there. I also looked in the special material, where there are a few bombs. Is it just things with "Bomb" in their name? Or does it refer to their class feature?(In which case it is irrelevent because of this text:)
    thrown bombs have a range of 20 feet and use the Throw Splash Weapon special attack.
    From which we pull this line:
    Thrown splash weapons require no weapon proficiency, so you don't take the –4 nonproficiency penalty.

So is the proficiency with "bombs" completely meaningless? Or is there a list I seem to be missing?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Ogre in the Playground

A321

AFAIK, there are not other weapons characterized as bombs, and the intention is to show that the alchemist is proficient with his own bombs.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Troll in the Playground

Q322
    Is there a way to switch CMB to Dexterity from Strength, other than being tiny?

Ignore this, I just found Agile Maneuvers.
    Last edited by RFLS; 2012-10-10 at 01:34 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Ogre in the Playground

A322

Weapon Finesse also allows you to use Dex instead of Str for CMB when calculating trip, disarm, and sunder attempts made with a finesse-able weapon.
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Ettin in the Playground

Q323: does true seeing allow you to see the original form of something's base body/form if it's been altered non magically?(such as by grafts, scars, or a reincarnation spell, or in the case of a creature that shapechanges like a mimic does)
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Orc in the Playground

Q324: Is there a limit on how many astral constructs you may make at once as a shaper psion, and if so how is it determined?
    καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει, καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν. John 1:05

Thanks to Cuthalion for the awesome avatar!

78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

Spoiler
    Show
    A camp of cyclops on a partially-dead magically-blighted plain.

ThiagoMartel:
    Anime is a media, not a genre. Banning something for being 'too anime' is like banning something for being 'too book'.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 325 Is there a way for a sorcerer to get Limited Wish or Wish as a spell-like ability?

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Ogre in the Playground

Edit:

A323

True seeing allows you to see the true form of something; physical alterations/scars are really there - they are not illusions or magical modifications.

Reincarnation, I'm not completely sure about; true seeing says it sees through transmutation abilities, and reincarnation is a transmutation spell. RAW, I'd say it does, but I'm quite willing to defer to a more informed decision.

The mimic's Mimic Object is an extraordinary ability that runs off a disguise check. Again, I'm willing to defer, but by RAW this seems like True Seeing does not work against it. The mimic is naturally changing its form through its own non-magical means. True Seeing does not allow you to see through a fake mustache.

A324:

1. There is no limit.
    Spoiler
    Show
    For a balance point, consider that a caster can keep any number of summon monster/summon nature's ally spells going at once.

2. This is a third-party ability, and, as such, is more appropriate to the Dreamscarred Press forums.

Edit:
    A 325

While certainly not exhaustive, the four genie themed bloodlines grant limited wish as a spell-like ability with some restrictions; see each bloodline for details.

Efreeti/Shaitan/Marid/Djinni

Edit 3: Formatting.
    Last edited by Novawurmson; 2012-10-14 at 04:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    A323

True seeing allows you to see the true form of something; physical alterations/scars are really there - they are not illusions or magical modifications.

Reincarnation, I'm not completely sure about; true seeing says it sees through transmutation abilities, and reincarnation is a transmutation spell. RAW, I'd say it does, but I'm quite willing to defer to a more informed decision.

The mimic's Mimic Object is an extraordinary ability that runs off a disguise check. Again, I'm willing to defer, but by RAW this seems like True Seeing does not work against it. The mimic is naturally changing its form through its own non-magical means. True Seeing does not allow you to see through a fake mustache.
    A323+
    Just in case you're trying to make up your mind (or argue with someone) and wants some more:

I'll say that the overall theme (specific RAW be damned) of True Seeing is that it sees through magic; as a result, it sees through a spell that changes your appearance for some time, however, depending on interpretation, might be unable to see through a spell that changes you forever since, while what caused the change was magical, the resulting effect was very physical and there is no "true form" to see anymore.

EDIT: Just to back my view a bit, magical effects that alter ability scores and linger for longer than 24 hours are counted as "permanent" and as a result alter your daily spells, skills per level and other effects.
    Last edited by Larpus; 2012-10-14 at 04:23 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Orc in the Playground

Q 326
    Grappling question, or more of a confirmation
    character has a bab of +1 strength mod of +4 and a dex mod of +2 with improved grapple
    based on the stats his cmb is +5 and his cmd is +17
    in the case of grappling the cmb should go up to +7 because of improved grapple and +19 if he is defending a grapple
    but once both parties have the grappled condition they both loose 4 dex dropping the CMD back down to +17
    though if the character is the attacker and is maintaining the grapple he gains +5 to his CMD and should bring it to +22
    are my calculation correct?
    also does the character get +5 to his CMB for familiarity to roll to pin, harm or move the target
    Tiberious Cromwell
    Half-Orc
    Cleric 12/Holy Vindicator 4
    Large
    Fire and Thought domains

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Ogre in the Playground

A 326

A character with a bab of +1, Str mod of +4, a Dex mod of +2 with Improved Grapple has a CMB of +5 and a CMD of +17 normally, +7/+19 in conditions of grappling. Gaining the grappled condition lowers your CMD to 17 because of the Dex penalty.

I believe the +5 circumstance bonus applies only to checks your character makes to maintain the grapple and to perform additional actions as part of the grapple (i.e. move, damage, pin, tie up, etc.), but not to your CMD.

12. - Top - End - #1272

Q:Under shuriken in the SRD, it states:

"Although they are thrown weapons, shuriken are treated as ammunition for the purposes of drawing them, crafting masterwork or otherwise special versions of them, and what happens to them after they are thrown."

Does this mean I need to take the quick draw feat to use shuriken with flurry of blows, or can I draw them as a free action anyway?
    Round Four: Eat Brains.
    SPLAT!
    Cheers for the avvy, Rincewind

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lolzords View Post
    Q:Under shuriken in the SRD, it states:

"Although they are thrown weapons, shuriken are treated as ammunition for the purposes of drawing them, crafting masterwork or otherwise special versions of them, and what happens to them after they are thrown."

Does this mean I need to take the quick draw feat to use shuriken with flurry of blows, or can I draw them as a free action anyway?
    Ammunition can be drawn as a free action anyway, and shuriken are treated as ammunition for that purpose (among others). So yes, you can draw them as a free action.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Troll in the Playground

Q328
    Reading the rules on staves, it appears that you could load one up with a bunch of low level utility spells, hand it to a sorcerer and make sure he knows one of the spells in the staff, and you've essentially expanded his spell list by a ton. So...am I reading this wrong? Sorcerers can cast any spell on the wiz/sorc spell list from a stave, and can recharge it if they know one of the spells the staff can cast?

15. - Top - End - #1275

A328

You have read it correctly, but remember that the staff can only be regain one charge per day, and a spellcaster can only recharge one staff per day. While this does diversify a sorcerer's spells, it still remains quite limited.

Relevant quote:

Quote Originally Posted by pf srd
    Recharging Staves: Staves hold a maximum of 10 charges. Each spell cast from a staff consumes one or more charges. When a staff runs out of charges, it cannot be used until it is recharged. Each morning, when a spellcaster prepares spells or regains spell slots, he can also imbue one staff with a portion of his power so long as one or more of the spells cast by the staff is on his spell list and he is capable of casting at least one of the spells. Imbuing a staff with this power restores one charge to the staff, but the caster must forgo one prepared spell or spell slot of a level equal to the highest-level spell cast by the staff. For example, a 9th-level wizard with a staff of fire could imbue the staff with one charge per day by using up one of his 4th-level spells. A staff cannot gain more than one charge per day and a caster cannot imbue more than one staff per day.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 329 If a wizard using normal vancian spellcasting takes the "Experimental Spellcaster" feat to gain some ability with the words of power system, can they add new words to their spellbook without needing to take the feat again, or is taking the feat repeatedly the only way to add words of power to a normal wizard's spellbook?

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Ogre in the Playground

A 329

By RAW, this is the only way to add Words of Power to a Wizard's spellbook without just using the Words of Power subsystem in the first place.

Spoiler
    Show
    Note that Words of Power can be used on a scroll; depending on your DM's leniency, they may allow you to learn new Words from a scroll. However, this is not explicitly called out as allowable in the text (even for a Wordcasting Wizard), and may be considered exploitative. Talk with your DM and consider your group's optimization comfort zone before employing this concept, because this is not a RAW concept.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Bugbear in the Playground

How would one suggest handling Reflex Saves while a character is blinded, prone, or is in a similar situation of not being capable of reacting properly?
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

19. - Top - End - #1279

A 330 (please number future questions)

Different conditions effect saving throws in different ways. Refer to conditions on the pathfinder srd. As for the conditions stated in the question:

Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder srd
    Blinded

The creature cannot see. It takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class, loses its Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), and takes a –4 penalty on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks and on opposed Perception skill checks. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Perception checks based on sight) automatically fail. All opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) against the blinded character. Blind creatures must make a DC 10 Acrobatics skill check to move faster than half speed. Creatures that fail this check fall prone. Characters who remain blinded for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them.
    All checks and activities that rely on vision automatically fail. This would include reflex saves, unless they were primarily based on another sense, such as hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder srd
    Prone

The character is lying on the ground. A prone attacker has a –4 penalty on melee attack rolls and cannot use a ranged weapon (except for a crossbow). A prone defender gains a +4 bonus to Armor Class against ranged attacks, but takes a –4 penalty to AC against melee attacks.

Standing up is a move-equivalent action that provokes an attack of opportunity.
    Being prone has no effect on reflex saves.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kumori View Post
    A 330 dispute

All checks and activities that rely on vision automatically fail. This would include reflex saves, unless they were primarily based on another sense, such as hearing.
    I'm pretty sure this is incorrect - blindness does not prevent you from making a Reflex save. Even paralyzed or sleeping characters get Reflex saves. Your Dex is considered 0 in those cases, so you get a big fat -5 penalty in place of your usual Dex mod. But you still get the save.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

21. - Top - End - #1281

Regarding Dispute, A330

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is incorrect - blindness does not prevent you from making a Reflex save. Even paralyzed or sleeping characters get Reflex saves. Your Dex is considered 0 in those cases, so you get a big fat -5 penalty in place of your usual Dex mod. But you still get the save.
    Check

A check is a d20 roll which may or may not be modified by another value. The most common types are attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks and saving throws.
    Blinded

The creature cannot see. It takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class, loses its Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), and takes a –4 penalty on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks and on opposed Perception skill checks. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Perception checks based on sight) automatically fail. All opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) against the blinded character. Blind creatures must make a DC 10 Acrobatics skill check to move faster than half speed. Creatures that fail this check fall prone. Characters who remain blinded for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them.
    The only dispute should be whether the reflex save relies on the ability to see. If the other senses are involved, then the save would still be rolled.

(edit to add a question:)

Q331
    According to the SRD, a Ninja is able to use the Monk Vows archetype. The archetype says that it replaces the Still Mind class feature, but a Ninja doesn't have that class feature to begin with. Does a Ninja not lose anything to gain the benefit of the archetype, or is there something else that the Ninja would lose?
    Last edited by Kumori; 2012-10-22 at 02:26 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1282

A331
    Other than the fact that it's there, there's no other mention of this being possible at all, neither in the Ninja nor in the archetype, not even by saying "the Monk/Ninja"; so it's quite possible it's an oversight or error on the SRD part.

If it is indeed possible, however, it's clear that the rules are seriously lacking. I don't believe that the Ninja shall lose nothing for it, it's a DM call, but I'd make him lose a 3rd level (Ex) ability (which is what Still Mind is), in this case, one bump of No Trace.

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q332
    An attack does, in its current state, 3d6 damage.

This attack mode is improved a category, by Enlarge say (or Lead Blades etc etc).

What is the damage progression from this point?

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Ogre in the Playground

A332

4d6. From the text of the Improved Natural Attack feat:

Damage dice increase as follows: 1d2, 1d3, 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 2d6, 3d6, 4d6, 6d6, 8d6, 12d6.

A weapon or attack that deals 1d10 points of damage increases as follows: 1d10, 2d8, 3d8, 4d8, 6d8, 8d8, 12d8.

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 333

Could someone briefly clarify how the Tongue (Ex) ability and the Pull ability work together, such as with the Giant Frog Druid companion? In the Grapple rules it states that if you grapple someone they immediately move adjacent to you, but that seems to completely negate the function of Pull. Is this rule completely negated by pull, or does pull perform some other function I’m not comprehending?

(If possible, a source for your answer would be greatly appreciated so I may show my GM, as we have yet to find a ruling anywhere else. Thank you!)

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q334 - if you used beast shape to turn into an animal, cast anthropomorphic
    animal and permanence anthropomorphic animal, would you stay an animal?
    i really hope this will work...

Q335 - does an alchemists formulas count as "spellcasting ability"? would it give access to arcane archer?
    Last edited by FoxArcaneArcher; 2012-10-23 at 07:24 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I looked, I searched, and I probably missed something in this thread, but here goes:

Q 336

On two-weapon fighting: what's the off-hand base attack bonus? That is, if you had +11/+6/+1 BAB and a -2 for TWF, would it be +11/+6/+1/-1? -2? At full BAB, minus the penalty (so 11/6/1/9)?
    Words and stuff!

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Ettin in the Playground

A 336

If your BAB is +11/+6/+1 and you have no other bonuses to your attack, your TWF attack line will be +9/+9/+4/-1.

edit: this answer assumes a light weapon in your off-hand.
    Last edited by Zherog; 2012-10-24 at 07:35 AM.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

29. - Top - End - #1289

A334
    Your DM might open an exception, but per RAW, no you can't, you can only be affected by one polymorph effect at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD
    You can only be affected by one polymorph spell at a time. If a new polymorph spell is cast on you (or you activate a polymorph effect, such as wild shape), you can decide whether or not to allow it to affect you, taking the place of the old spell. In addition, other spells that change your size have no effect on you while you are under the effects of a polymorph spell.
    A335
    Total DM call.

On one hand "Alchemists are not spellcasters" and most people take the clause "The alchemist does not need to meet the prerequisites for this feat" under Brew Potion to refer to "be a spellcaster", not "have a CL3".

On the other, there are abilities that specifically mention that the Alchemist has a CL (such as the Wings discovery) and some months ago while dealing with a similar problem, I saw a post of the class designer who mentioned that initially Alchemists were indeed not supposed to be spellcasters, but would have a new system exclusive for them, but at some point that was scrapped, but most wording wasn't changed (or wasn't changed enough) and that in the current incarnation, they are indeed spellcasters.

Don't have the link anymore, but I did post it here on these boards, either on this thread or on a specific thread titled something similar to "Do Alchemists have a Caster Level?".

And, as mentioned before, the special clause for Brew Potion could just as easily be referring to the fact that Alchemists get at level 1 instead of 3 and just that.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Ogre in the Playground

A333

Pull vs. Tounge: The primary differences are that Pull automatically activates on a successful attack and does not apply the grappled condition while Tounge requires its own attack roll and does apply the grappled condition.

A335 - Addendum

From the Alchemist:

Although the alchemist doesn’t actually cast spells...
    From the prerequisites of the Arcane Archer:

Ability to cast 1st-level arcane spells.
    The Alchemist does not qualify for the Arcane Archer in particular, as it cannot cast 1st-level arcane spells. Other prestige classes with other prerequisites might be able to be qualified for, and your DM always has final say in what they want in their game.

A336-Addendum
    Edit: Realized this was already answered, but I provide marginally more information.

Spoiler
    Show
    From the text of Two-Weapon Fighting under "Combat":

If you wield a second weapon in your off hand, you can get one extra attack per round with that weapon.
    This attack is made at your highest base attack bonus, with the listed penalties, depending on whether your off-hand weapon is light, you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. This attack is made at your highest base attack bonus, so your attacks before any additional modifiers are +9/+9/+4/-1; if you have Improved Two-Weapon Fighting and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, your full attack is +9/+9/+4/+4/-1/-1