New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 213637383940414243444546474849505152 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1548
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Q 363 response

Well, where is the rule / citation for 3.5? I may be able to bring up the 3.5 rule as a argument

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Ettin in the Playground

A 363 additional

The most explicit ruling can be found in the 3.5 FAQ. Since it's not strictly Pathfinder, I've put the details inside a spoiler block. At the risk of dragging the thread too far off topic, in my opinion it's best that if there's more follow-up questions then a new thread would be a good idea.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3.5 FAQ (June 30, 2008 version), page 43
    Does the bonus to caster level from the Practiced Spellcaster feat (from CAr and CD) apply before or after other caster level bonuses (such as those from the Good or Healing domains)?

The bonus from Practiced Spellcaster applies whenever it would be most beneficial to the caster. A 4th-level cleric/4th-level fighter with the Healing domain and Practiced Spellcaster would cast Conjuration (Healing) spells as a 9th-level caster (base caster level 4th, +4 from Practiced Spellcaster, +1 from the Healing domain). A 4th-level cleric/4th-level rogue with Practiced Spellcaster who activates a bead of karma (from a strand of prayer beads) would cast her spells as a 12th-level caster (base 4, +4 from Practiced Spellcaster, +4 from bead of karma).

How does Practiced Spellcaster interact with the wild magic class feature of the wild mage (from CAr)?

The –3 penalty and +1d6 bonus to the wild mage’s caster level are applied as a single step in the process of determining the wild mage’s caster level. Since Practiced Spellcaster’s bonus is always applied when it is most beneficial to the character (see previous answer), a wild mage with Practiced Spellcaster would typically apply the wild magic class feature first (subtracting 3 and adding 1d6 to her caster level) and then add the Practiced Spellcaster benefit, up to a maximum value equal to her character level.

For example, if a 5th-level wizard/4th-level wild mage with Practiced Spellcaster rolled a 1 on the 1d6 bonus to her caster level, her caster level for that spell would be 9th (base 9th, –3 from wild magic penalty, +1 from wild magic bonus, +4 from Practiced Spellcaster up to a maximum equal to her character level). If she rolled a 6, her caster level would be 12th (base 9th, –3 from wild magic penalty, +6 from wild magic bonus; the Practiced Spellcaster bonus would not apply since it would increase her caster level above her character level).

On the other hand, imagine a wild mage whose caster level (before applying the effects of the wild magic class feature) is less than her character level, such as a wild mage with levels of rogue or other non-spellcasting class. She might well choose to apply the Practiced Spellcaster bonus first, before applying the wild magic modifiers. A rogue 4/wizard 5/wild mage 4 would have a base caster level of 9th before any other modifiers are applied. Adding Practiced Spellcaster’s bonus would increase this to 13th, at which point the penalty and bonus from wild magic would be applied. The Sage recommends that players averse to frequently recalculating caster level avoid playing a character with this combination, as it is likely to cause
    headaches.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 364

I'm trying to find this but seem unable to... Critical fumbles, the dreaded natural 1. Does this exist in the Pathfinder rules?
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Ettin in the Playground

A 364

Depends what you mean. A natural 1 on an attack or save fails, no matter what your bonus is.

Quote Originally Posted by Combat section of Pathfinder SRD, attacks
    Automatic Misses and Hits: A natural 1 (the d20 comes up 1) on an attack roll is always a miss. A natural 20 (the d20 comes up 20) is always a hit. A natural 20 is also a threat—a possible critical hit (see the attack action).
    Quote Originally Posted by Combat section of the Pathfinder SRD, saving throws
    Automatic Failures and Successes: A natural 1 (the d20 comes up 1) on a saving throw is always a failure (and may cause damage to exposed items; see Items Surviving after a Saving Throw). A natural 20 (the d20 comes up 20) is always a success.
    So if by "critical failure" you simply mean the attack or save fails, there's your reference. (note: caster level checks, ability checks and skill checks do not auto-fail on a 1.)

However, if by "critical failure" you mean something bad happens to your character (other than missing / failing), then that's not in the core rules. It is an optional rule that's available as part of the Critical Fumble Deck of cards produced by Paizo in their GameMastery product line.
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Q 365

Hello everyone, I am going to repeat here my question about one specific Battle Scout Ranger Archetype problem, that wasn't really answered on Paizo Pathfinder forum. All I got was "yeah, I think it works" but I'm still confused

So, without further ado:

The Battle Scout can have only one favored enemy, because the other choices are replaced with his terrain abilities. Does he still gets +2 bonus increase on levels 5 and 10 to his single favored enemy? Or do Battle Scouts have only permanent +2 bonus on a single fav. enemy?

The problem emerges in the core book ruling where it states: "At 5th level and every five levels thereafter the ranger may select an additional favored enemy." But the Battle Scout only gets two favored enemies, first one at first level and second one at the level 20.

The really confusing part: "In addition, at each such interval, the bonus against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so desired) increases by +2."

I can think of reasons why it should get the bonuses and reasons why it shouldn't, so please, share your opinions and experience before my GM and me houserule it...

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Ettin in the Playground

A 365

Nothing in the battle scout archetype alters the ranger's first level "favored enemy" class feature, other than replacing new favored enemy types with new class features.

So...

Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD, Ranger Class
    At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th level), the ranger may select an additional favored enemy. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so desired) increases by +2.
    By my reading, the first sentence is (effectively) removed by the archetype. But there is nothing in the archetype that removes/replaces the second sentence. So at 5th, 10th, and 15th levels you gain the new class feature of the archetype and your favored enemy you selected at 1st level increases by +2.
    John Ling

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Orc in the Playground

Q 366
    May a Bladebound Magus' Black Blade be enchanted like other weapons? It seems like it may because they state nothing about it other than it's treated as a masterwork weapon, but I'd like to be sure.
    καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει, καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν. John 1:05

Thanks to Cuthalion for the awesome avatar!

78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

Spoiler
    Show
    A camp of cyclops on a partially-dead magically-blighted plain.

ThiagoMartel:
    Anime is a media, not a genre. Banning something for being 'too anime' is like banning something for being 'too book'.

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Ettin in the Playground

A 366

Nothing about the black blade would indicate that it cannot be further enhanced. It sure looks to me like you could, for example, add keen to the sword if you (and it) desire.
    John Ling

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Ogre in the Playground

Q367:
    Metamagic: The Intensify Spell feat raises the maximum number of dice you can have by 5.
    Now this in mind can a 7th-level wizard prepare Intensified Burning Hands and shoot 7d4 flaming wrath on his enemies? or would it be 10d4, as it "increases the maximum number of damagedice by 5 levels."

Q368:
    Magic Item Creation:
    a) Is the DC for completing an item really just 5+item-casterlevel+(5/not meeted prereq)? I ask this because this DC seems rather low and I think I miss something.
    b) Adding abilities to slotted items. Does this *50 increase in number of abilities?
    Example would the exampled ring of protection +2 and invisibility enhanced by blinking would I use 1.5 the cost of a ring of blinking or 1.75 (increasing the 50% increase by 50%). (this can be a bit due to language as i reread that text 5 times already and can't decide which is now right...)
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Barbarian in the Playground

A367
    You still need a high enough caster level to get the extra damage dice. In your example, the wizard would do 7d4 damage with that spell.

A368
    A. Yes, that is the correct formula for craft DC's.
    5 + (item caster level) + (5 * (number or missing prereqs))

B. No. The cost of enhancing an item does not change based on what abilities the item already has.

Adding Invisibility to a Ring of Protection +2 would cost 15,000 gp.
    (1.5 * 10,000 gp)

Adding Blinking to said ring would cost 20,250 gp.
    (1.5 * 13,500 gp)

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks, I have again another question about the cost reduction through certain restrictions and some other things with magic weapons:

Q369:
    a) Can I restrict Weapon enchantments?
    For example our Paladin has a +1 Longsword. Now I would like to enchant him Holy for 8000 GP. Could I reduce that by restricting it to a paladin? Leaving the price in materials at: 5600 GP?

b) can I then decide if the weapon "shed's light" or gives a clue? Or do I have to randomly roll for that?

(the last two I can't find the rules for... )
    c) can someone assist me while making those items? For example can our Cleric give me the Holy Smite spell? Or how would this affect the Check at the end?

d) can someone use the aid another skill to help me with the spellcraft check at the end?

Edit just saw it:
    e) can I upgrade a +1 Flaming weapon to a +1 Flaming Burst weapon?
    Last edited by Krazzman; 2012-12-10 at 12:55 PM.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

12. - Top - End - #1362

A369 Partial

EDIT: Oh, wow, answering questions in both threads and I got all mixed up! Sorry! Thanks for pointing it out, Zherog. Spoilered everything cause it's not the right system.

Spoiler
    Show
    B. You can choose to make a weapon glow, but only a weapon and only at the time of creation.
    Quote Originally Posted by d20SRD
    Creating Magic Weapons

At the time of creation, the creator must decide if the weapon glows or not as a side-effect of the magic imbued within it. This decision does not affect the price or the creation time, but once the item is finished, the decision is binding.
    This clause can only be found in the creating magic weapons section. Armor, Shields and other magic items do not glow without having another magical ability or effect make them do so.

E. Yes, you can upgrade weapon's Flaming ability into a Flaming Burst. As per page 225 of the Magic Item Compendium, these abilities now have the [synergy] tag. Essentially, Flaming Burst is a +1 requires that a weapon be Flaming, also a +1 ability. The end effect is that Flaming Burst is a total +2 ability that functions exactly as the DMG says it does except that you can upgrade to it from Flaming.
    Last edited by Kumori; 2012-12-10 at 02:22 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Ettin in the Playground

A 369E additional

Magic Item Compendium has nothing to do with Pathfinder, though. ;)
    Last edited by Zherog; 2012-12-10 at 02:04 PM.
    John Ling

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 370 Is there a way for an Alchemist to get Minor, Major, and/or True Creation as a spell-like ability?

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 371

Do I actually have to make a Concentration check to cast Feather Fall while falling?
    Homebrew: TemporalistQuotebox • Avatar by Kris on a Stick
    Blue is for sarcasm • Call me Attila

16. - Top - End - #1366

A 371 No. The section on Concentration Checks does not list falling as something that interrupts concentration. Vigorous motion, violent motion, and extremely violent motion are the only movement/motion based situations that call for a concentration check and their descriptions do not include falling.

17. - Top - End - #1367

Q. 372 For a Sorcerer with the elemental ray from the bloodline of that name, does SR apply to it?

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Ettin in the Playground

A 372

As a pure, letter-of-the-RAW answer, I'm going to say no, SR doesn't apply to elemental ray.

Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD, Elemental Bloodline
    Elemental Ray (Sp): Starting at 1st level, you can unleash an elemental ray as a standard action, targeting any foe within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack. This ray deals 1d6 points of damage of your energy type + 1 for every two sorcerer levels you possess. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier.
    Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD, Universal Monster Rules
    Spell-Like Abilities (Sp) Spell-like abilities are magical and work just like spells (though they are not spells and so have no verbal, somatic, focus, or material components). They go away in an antimagic field and are subject to spell resistance if the spell the ability is based on would be subject to spell resistance.
    So, elemental ray is a spell-like ability. And we know from the UMR that SLAs are subject to SR if the spell it's based on is also subject to SR. But it appears (at least to me) that elemental ray is not based on any specific spell. Given that fact, and the fact the description doesn't say otherwise, I'll go ahead and say that pure RAW the answer is no SR on the abilty.

Non-RAW stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

That said, elemental ray sure looks to me to be based on scorching ray. And scorching ray does permit SR. But without the ability specifically saying it's based on that spell, it's just conjecture on my part.
    John Ling

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q. 373
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/pres...t-of-the-grave

I was wondering what kind of action agent of the grave's "Lich Touch" ability, is, It says it's an attack, but is it a natural attack or just an ability? Can it be used in a full attack? Can it be used more than once per round? The ability is really vague.

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A373

As a supernatural ability, it defaults to a standard action.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 374

A character has the Greater Whip Mastery and Equipment Trick feats.

Quote Originally Posted by Whip Mastery
    Tie Up: While adjacent to your opponent, you can attempt to use your whip to tie him up. If you do so to an opponent you have grappled rather than pinned, you take only a –5 penalty on the combat maneuver check rather than the normal –10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equipment Trick (Rope)
    Hogtie (Improved Grapple): When you attempt to tie up an opponent you are grappling, your penalty is only –5 instead of the normal –10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equipment Trick (Rope)
    Lash (Weapon Proficiency [whip]): You can use a length of rope as a whip at no penalty. The piece of rope that is used as a whip must be 10 feet long—length in excess of this must remain coiled or otherwise unused at your feet or side.
    A character wields a piece of rope as a whip and attempts to tie an opponent up with it. Do they take a -5 penalty, or no penalty?
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Ettin in the Playground

A 374

-5. Both abilities set the penalty at -5, so there's no "stacking" go on. If one of them reduced the penalty by 5 then you'd be in a situation where you could get down to no penalty.
    John Ling

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzman View Post
    Thanks, I have again another question about the cost reduction through certain restrictions and some other things with magic weapons:

Q369:
    a) Can I restrict Weapon enchantments?
    For example our Paladin has a +1 Longsword. Now I would like to enchant him Holy for 8000 GP. Could I reduce that by restricting it to a paladin? Leaving the price in materials at: 5600 GP?

b) can I then decide if the weapon "shed's light" or gives a clue? Or do I have to randomly roll for that?

(the last two I can't find the rules for... )
    c) can someone assist me while making those items? For example can our Cleric give me the Holy Smite spell? Or how would this affect the Check at the end?

d) can someone use the aid another skill to help me with the spellcraft check at the end?

Edit just saw it:
    e) can I upgrade a +1 Flaming weapon to a +1 Flaming Burst weapon?
    As I still didn't find it for Pathfinder (sry if it's annoying). Along with d) am I right, if this check at the end allows me to take 10?
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Ettin in the Playground

Q375 Do Bards (or Sensei Monks, as it specifically applies to) need ranks in Perform to actually use Bardic Music (or Advice, again as applying specifically to Sensei Monks)? 3.5 required specific rank thresholds but from what I can find, it seems to have gone to a level-only mechanic for unlocks.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

25. - Top - End - #1375

A375 No, ranks in perform are unnecessary. While no uses of Bardic Performance require ranks, many require a Perform check. Though Perform can be used untrained, ranks would likely be beneficial.

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Titan in the Playground

Q376
    Would a forcecage without bars block Paladin's aura?
    I think so, but I am not sure, so I am asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Ogre in the Playground

Q377Do thrown weapons uses your strength or your Dex for to-hit?
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2012-12-14 at 06:48 PM.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Ettin in the Playground

A 377

All ranged weapons - thrown or projectile - use your Dex mod to modify the attack roll. Thrown weapons use your Strength mod to modify damage.
    John Ling

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 378

Can a character attacking with a rope dart weapon use Hamatula Strike?

Q 379

Do the effects of the 'Quick Learner' and 'Arms Master' traits stack?

Q 380

Does a character with weapon focus (Unarmed strike) Apply this bonus to grapple checks, or only to the attacks made for Trip, Sunder, and Trip the only combat maneuvers that bonuses to the attack roll are applied to?
    Last edited by Crasical; 2012-12-15 at 02:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Ettin in the Playground

A378 Hamatula Strike implies it's meant for melee weapons only but it doesn't not specify such, so a Rope Dart could technically be used with it. A bow or crossbow could be used with it, given how poorly worded it is. I don't quite understand why a Rope Dart is a ranged weapon and not a reach weapon, especially since the description says it has 12' of rope yet has a 20' range increment. Yeah, bad editing is bad...

A379 Given Arms Master makes the default penalty -2 and Quick Learner reduces the penalty by 2 (though the statement saying 'to a -2 penalty' may raise some DM eyebrows), it would seem they could stack, as they go about the end results in different ways.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!