Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2274243444546474849505152
Results 1,531 to 1,548 of 1548
  1. - Top - End - #1531
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

A 455

The answer you seek is in the cleric class's aura ability:

Quote Originally Posted by PRD, Classes, Cleric
    Aura (Ex): A cleric of a chaotic, evil, good, or lawful deity has a particularly powerful aura corresponding to the deity's alignment (see the detect evil spell for details).
    So the character normally has an aura that corresponds to the deity's alignment. Sacred Summons adds "evil" to the list of auras the cleric possesses as far as the feat is concerned.

So for example, a cleric of a CN deity with this class feature can use the feat to summon CE creatures as a standard action - Chaotic from her deity, and evil from the class feature. A cleric of a LG deity who somehow went down this path, could summon either LG or LE creatures (ignoring the whole "summoning evil creatures is an evil act" aspect).

At least, that's how I read things.
    Last edited by Zherog; 2013-02-02 at 10:25 AM. Reason: fixed tags
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

2. - Top - End - #1532
    Titan in the Playground

Q456

Is Hungry Pit in the Caves Subdomain of the Earth Domain 5th level or 6th?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

3. - Top - End - #1533
    Ettin in the Playground

A 456 Going by where the other replaced domain spells are being equal with the Wiz/Sor/Sum level, I'd probably make Hungry Pit also 5th.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

4. - Top - End - #1534
    Titan in the Playground

Q457

Just making sure I'm not missing anything: a Diabolist's Imp uses the Animal Companion table with a level equal to the Diabolist's class level plus caster level, so a Cleric 8/Diabolist 6 would have an Imp that uses the table entry for a 20th level Druid?

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1535
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Q457

Just making sure I'm not missing anything: a Diabolist's Imp uses the Animal Companion table with a level equal to the Diabolist's class level plus caster level, so a Cleric 8/Diabolist 6 would have an Imp that uses the table entry for a 20th level Druid?
    Well, I wouldn't let my players do it, but yes, you are correct.

6. - Top - End - #1536
    Titan in the Playground

Q 458

How can a person pinned under the rubble created by Earthquake be freed?

Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1537
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A458

The same as any other time they're buried under a bunch of dirt/rocks/etc. From Cave-Ins:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cave-In or Collapse (CR 8)
    Characters who aren't buried can dig out their friends. In 1 minute, using only her hands, a character can clear rocks and debris equal to five times her heavy load limit. The amount of loose stone that fills a 5-foot-by-5-foot area weighs 1 ton (2,000 pounds). Armed with an appropriate tool, such as a pick, crowbar, or shovel, a digger can clear loose stone twice as quickly as by hand. A buried character can attempt to free himself with a DC 25 Strength check.

8. - Top - End - #1538
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q 459
    Under Ninja's description of ki pool, it states: "If the ninja possesses levels in another class that grants points to a ki pool, ninja levels stack with the levels of that class to determine the total number of ki points in the combined pool, but only one ability score modifier is added to the total. The choice of which score to use is made when the second class ability is gained, and once made, the choice is set. The ninja can now use ki points from this pool to power the abilities of every class she possesses that grants a ki pool."

Monk only grants a ki pool at level 4. However, it is a class that grants points to a ki pool, which seems to conform to RAW. Thus, the question becomes: if you take 1 level of Monk and 2 levels of Ninja, do you qualify to choose between Wisdom and Charisma to see which determines your ki, and do the levels stack for the 1/2 level benefit?

9. - Top - End - #1539
    Ettin in the Playground

A 459 Getting Monk levels would qualify you to choose, yes, but not vice versa, since that's a clause of Ninja, so a Monk wouldn't auto combine with another class with ki unless that class had such a clause.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

10. - Top - End - #1540

Q460

The Beast Rider's Exotic Mount ability states, among other things, that "The animal chosen as a mount must be large enough to carry the beast rider (Medium or Large for a Small character; Large or Huge for a Medium character)"

However, all of the possible Mounts offered by the class feature at level 4 for a Medium Rider are Medium sized themselves.

The ability is worded so that I cannot take a a mount too small to carry me, but the ability then offers mounts too small to carry me as options. Is it intended that the Animal Companions offered at level 4 be sized large, did the Developers just create a nonfunctional ability, am I missing something?

EDIT
    As a follow up, though similar question, Beast Riders are prohibited from taking any Mount with less than 4 legs, but mounts such as the Tyrannosaurus are pointed to as options. Am I allowed to use Mounts with 2 legs, or not?
    Last edited by Menteith; 2013-02-05 at 01:21 PM.
    There is the moral of all human tales;
    'Tis but the same rehearsal of the past.
    First freedom and then Glory - when that fails,
    Wealth, vice, corruption - barbarism at last.
    And History, with all her volumes vast,
    Hath but one page...

11. - Top - End - #1541
    Ettin in the Playground

A 460

Quote Originally Posted by Menteith
    However, all of the possible Mounts offered by the class feature at level 4 for a Medium Rider are Medium sized themselves.
    All the 4th level options most certainly are not Medium in size.

Quote Originally Posted by PRD, Ultimate Combat, Archetypes
    At 4th level, a Medium beast rider can also choose an allosaurus, ankylosaurus, arsinoitherium, aurochs, bison, brachiosaurus, elephant, glyptodon, hippopotamus, lion, mastodon, megaloceros, snapping turtle (giant), tiger, triceratops, or tyrannosaurus as his mount.
    • Allosaurus is Huge
    • ankylosaurus is Huge
    • arsinoitherium is Large
    • aurochs is Large
    • bison is Large
    • brachiosaurus is Gargantuan (which makes it not a valid choice by RAW)
    • elephant is Huge
    • glyptodon is Large
    • hippopotamus is Large
    • lion is Large
    • mastodon is Huge
    • megaloceros is Large
    • snapping turtle (giant) is Gargantuan (another invalid choice by RAW)
    • tiger is Large
    • triceratops is Huge
    • tyrannosaurus is Gargantuan (another invalid)

So three of the listed choices are invalid, all for being too big. my hunch would be that by those critters being explicitly on the list, the intention is to override the "Large or Huge" restriction - but that's only a hunch and not stated in the rules.

A 460 B

Quote Originally Posted by Menteith
    As a follow up, though similar question, Beast Riders are prohibited from taking any Mount with less than 4 legs, but mounts such as the Tyrannosaurus are pointed to as options. Am I allowed to use Mounts with 2 legs, or not?
    The rule you're citing here specifically refers to the 7th level class feature.

Quote Originally Posted by PRD, Ultimate Combat, Archetypes
    In addition, a 7th-level or higher Medium beast rider can select any creature whose natural size is Large or Huge, provided that creature is normally available as a Medium-sized animal companion at 7th level (like a bear). To generate statistics for such a mount, apply the following modifications: Size Large; Ability Scores Str +2, Dex –2, Con +2. Increase the damage of each of the mount's natural attacks by one die size. A beast rider cannot choose a mount that is not capable of bearing his weight, that has fewer than four legs, or that has a fly speed (although the GM may allow mounts with a swim speed in certain environments).
    So... I'm a computer programmer by trade. Here's pseudocode for what that says:

IF the creature is normally Large or Huge
    AND IF the creature has a Medium version on the 7th-level animal companion list
    AND IF creature can bear the rider's weight
    AND IF creature has 4+ legs
    AND IF creature does not have a fly speed
    THEN the beast rider can have it as a mount, applying the proper modifications to the listed Medium entry.
    Last edited by Zherog; 2013-02-05 at 02:23 PM.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

12. - Top - End - #1542

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    A 460
    So three of the listed choices are invalid, all for being too big.
    Incorrect.

"This mount functions as a druid's animal companion"

The animal companion class feature specifically states that those creatures are Medium. Animal Companions differ significantly from the normal animal. The base animals are unrelated to the class feature. If anyone has one, I would still appreciate an answer to my question.

EDIT
    Example;
    Ankylosaurus Companions

Starting Statistics: Size Medium; Speed 30 ft.; AC +9 natural armor; Attack tail (1d6); Ability Scores Str 10, Dex 14, Con 9, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 8; Special Qualities low-light vision, scent.

7th-Level Advancement: Size Large; AC +2 natural armor; Attack tail (2d6); Ability Scores Str +8, Dex –2, Con +4; Special Qualities stun.
    Last edited by Menteith; 2013-02-05 at 10:38 PM.
    There is the moral of all human tales;
    'Tis but the same rehearsal of the past.
    First freedom and then Glory - when that fails,
    Wealth, vice, corruption - barbarism at last.
    And History, with all her volumes vast,
    Hath but one page...

13. - Top - End - #1543

MindFlayer

Q 461
    This seems like one of those "duh" questions but I can't seem to find the answer in the rules, so I'll ask:

When high jumping with Acrobatics, if you do not land on something higher or grab hold, do you take falling damage when you come back down to the ground?

My gut instinct is "heck no", but I find no provision in the rules for it.

14. - Top - End - #1544
    Ettin in the Playground

A 461 It is actually covered in Acrobatics in the section for jumping.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRB, pg 88
    When you deliberately fall, even as a result of a missed jump, a DC 15 Acrobatics skill check allows you to ignore the first 10 feet fallen, although you still end up prone if you take damage from a fall.
    So basically, if you fall 10 feet, even from a really high jump (which for a running high Jump would be DC 40+), you will suffer falling damage unless you break your fall. Gravity is a harsh mistress, you may want a ring of feather fall.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2013-02-05 at 10:29 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

15. - Top - End - #1545
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Da'Shain View Post
    Q 459
    Under Ninja's description of ki pool, it states: "If the ninja possesses levels in another class that grants points to a ki pool, ninja levels stack with the levels of that class to determine the total number of ki points in the combined pool, but only one ability score modifier is added to the total. The choice of which score to use is made when the second class ability is gained, and once made, the choice is set. The ninja can now use ki points from this pool to power the abilities of every class she possesses that grants a ki pool."

Monk only grants a ki pool at level 4. However, it is a class that grants points to a ki pool, which seems to conform to RAW. Thus, the question becomes: if you take 1 level of Monk and 2 levels of Ninja, do you qualify to choose between Wisdom and Charisma to see which determines your ki, and do the levels stack for the 1/2 level benefit?
    emph mine

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin
    A 459 Getting Monk levels would qualify you to choose, yes, but not vice versa, since that's a clause of Ninja, so a Monk wouldn't auto combine with another class with ki unless that class had such a clause.
    A459 Dispute
    The way I read it, class levels stack from the beginning (As monk and ninja levels are both levels in classes that grant the Ki Pool ability at a certain point)
    But you can NOT choose your ability modifier until you reach the point where the second class also grants the Ki Pool ability.
    This is VERY clear in the Ninja's text (bold part above)

16. - Top - End - #1546
    Titan in the Playground

This Thread is over limit. Time to start "Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) II"
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

17. - Top - End - #1547
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A461 Dispute

No. The acrobatics skill differentiates between jumping and falling.

Quote Originally Posted by Acrobatics
    If you fail by 5 or more, you fail to make the jump and fall (or land prone, in the case of a vertical jump).
    Cieyrin's quote applies to falls (deliberate or otherwise). There is nothing in the rules that defines a fall or states that a jump is treated the same as a fall, so you don't take falling damage from jumping.

Off-topic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It totally makes sense me that you take falling damage from jumping too high: I've jumped high enough (on a giant trampoline) in the past that I felt that fluttering stomach feeling that I was falling.

I'll leave starting a new thread to the mods, since they've done it in the past.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2013-02-06 at 12:45 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1548
    Ettin in the Playground

A 461 Rebuttal Noticed my quote said 'Even as a result of a failed jump,' as well as your quote saying 'you fail to make the jump and fall', meaning if you fail a jump, you fall. If you fall 10' or more, you take damage unless you make that Acrobatics DC or have some other means of negating the damage.

Also note that Falling in the Environmental rules notes that deliberating falling (which includes jumping, as noted previously) changes that first 10' into nonlethal damage before causing lethal, which is that 'fluttering feeling in your stomach' in action.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!